1996 Mod for 2008 Coming Soon

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's coming along but slow. I have to admit my motivation hasn't been the best lately and it's kind of gotten to the point where it's hard to keep track of all the work I have done, once a mod gets to a certain size it kind of gets away from you a bit, starts to feel like work and you start wishing you were doing anything else. Okay, that is my whine over with :D Mostly working on wrestlers who are yet to debut and locations the last few days, trying to add some workers who may have been forgotten in the shuffle as I notice a lot of past mods have like .... the superstars from that era, and then a bunch of current guys without many workers who may have emerged and disappeared between then and now. Also trying to get a good mix of locations without just stealing a bunch from past mods but at the same time not overloading the database with pointless locations. Added a bunch of Australian venues, and some smaller US venues which were used by ECW, SMW and indy promotions around the mid '90s as well as adding a bunch of locations under the names they used in 96. Up to 1070 workers at the moment, I can see this going up to about 1200 as my final number. All workers are being added from scratch, hence why this is taking a long time. If there is a worker I want to add but haven't seen I head off to Youtube to watch a bunch of matches. By the end of this mod there hopefully will not be a worker in the database who I have not watched wrestle at some point. I'm interested to hear what future promotions people want in the mod, I am trying to avoid adding any really small indies because I don't see them fitting into the database, plus for every future promotion I add I want the majority of their starting roster to be in the database so if a person wants to swap promotions midgame, they can do so with a fairly good level of historical accuracy. ... right now my future promotions list looks a little bit like this. USA Combat Zone Wrestling Xtreme Pro Wrestling Ring of Honor Major League Wrestling NWATNA XWF (Maybe) Ultimate Pro Wrestling (Maybe just to balance out the west coast) Ohio Valley Wrestling I considered adding a few other indy promotions but cannot really justify including them for the amount of work I would have to do in order to make them even semi accurate. Japan Pro Wrestling NOAH Zero One Arsion Toryumon Osaka Pro UK Frontier Wrestling Alliance Mexico International Wrestle Revolution Group Promo Azteca Australia World Wrestling All-Stars I have NO PROMOTIONS present or future for either Canada or Europe at the moment, which disappoints me. If anyone can think of a good, realistic suggestion that might be possible then I am more than open to it. Haven't done any long term testing yet as I still don't have the full version of '08 as strange as that may sound ... Money Order purchasing seems to be a little slower this time around than it was in '07. Damn lack of credit card and geographical distance. Okay, that was probably more information than you wanted to hear ... forgive my rambling :o

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;451082]It's coming along but slow. I have to admit my motivation hasn't been the best lately and it's kind of gotten to the point where it's hard to keep track of all the work I have done, once a mod gets to a certain size it kind of gets away from you a bit, starts to feel like work and you start wishing you were doing anything else. Okay, that is my whine over with :D Mostly working on wrestlers who are yet to debut and locations the last few days, trying to add some workers who may have been forgotten in the shuffle as I notice a lot of past mods have like .... the superstars from that era, and then a bunch of current guys without many workers who may have emerged and disappeared between then and now. Also trying to get a good mix of locations without just stealing a bunch from past mods but at the same time not overloading the database with pointless locations. Added a bunch of Australian venues, and some smaller US venues which were used by ECW, SMW and indy promotions around the mid '90s as well as adding a bunch of locations under the names they used in 96. Up to 1070 workers at the moment, I can see this going up to about 1200 as my final number. All workers are being added from scratch, hence why this is taking a long time. If there is a worker I want to add but haven't seen I head off to Youtube to watch a bunch of matches. By the end of this mod there hopefully will not be a worker in the database who I have not watched wrestle at some point. I'm interested to hear what future promotions people want in the mod, I am trying to avoid adding any really small indies because I don't see them fitting into the database, plus for every future promotion I add I want the majority of their starting roster to be in the database so if a person wants to swap promotions midgame, they can do so with a fairly good level of historical accuracy. ... right now my future promotions list looks a little bit like this. USA Combat Zone Wrestling Xtreme Pro Wrestling Ring of Honor Major League Wrestling NWATNA XWF (Maybe) Ultimate Pro Wrestling (Maybe just to balance out the west coast) Ohio Valley Wrestling I considered adding a few other indy promotions but cannot really justify including them for the amount of work I would have to do in order to make them even semi accurate. Japan Pro Wrestling NOAH Zero One Arsion Toryumon Osaka Pro UK Frontier Wrestling Alliance Mexico International Wrestle Revolution Group Promo Azteca Australia World Wrestling All-Stars I have NO PROMOTIONS present or future for either Canada or Europe at the moment, which disappoints me. If anyone can think of a good, realistic suggestion that might be possible then I am more than open to it. Haven't done any long term testing yet as I still don't have the full version of '08 as strange as that may sound ... Money Order purchasing seems to be a little slower this time around than it was in '07. Damn lack of credit card and geographical distance. Okay, that was probably more information than you wanted to hear ... forgive my rambling :o[/QUOTE] a few suggestions for some feds all star wrestling (uk) elite wrestling federation (uk) eurostars (belgium) nwa uk hammerlock (uk) premier promotions (uk) the wrestling alliance (uk) world association of wrestling (uk) catch wrestling association (germany) verband der berufsringer (germany) border city wrestling (canada) northern championship wrestling (canada) stampede wrestling (canada)

I cannot wait for this to be released xD Not only was 96 the peak of 'The Wars', but it was also the year that wrestling was mega! :P Take your time and perfect this one as I believe you have the powers to make possibly the best Real World mod so far for 08 :cool: KUTGW Hamster!!

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;447393]Phew .... My computer attempted to die on me today, claiming that my hard drive could not be found, then things only got weirder from there. Seeing as how I'd been lazy with backing up my data (including this mod) I was damn scared I was going to lose it all. But .... crisis averted, several hours of screwing around and hoping for the best seems to have worked and the data is being backed up and this mod did not die a horrible death when 90-95% complete. God I hate it when things like that happen.[/QUOTE] 2 words: Flash Drive :D

Anyone eager to play this mod, help is needed on the graphics side! I have done 5?6?7? hundred cuts thus far for this mod, but I'm going to be swamped the next 5-6 days and I need help churning some out. The cutting style is not like the usual mods, so you won't be able to just grab other cuts and plug them in, it will actually require some graphic work. Also, I'm trying to gather all of the in game graphics like logos, promotions, et al so if anyone wants to volunteer to help me with this task while we let Burninghamster knock out the REAL meat and potatoes of the mod, send me a pm. The more of this graphic stuff we can knock out, the easier BH's life will be and the sooner we'll get to play what is shaping up to be a great mod!

I could POSSIBLY help you out, though im not all too familar with cutting. I have Photoshop CS2 and do work on graphics, just not the best of cutters, to say the least... I could have a go though xD Who you needing to be done? Maybe send me a PM with the 'biggest' superstars who are still yet to be done... ?

[QUOTE=paulskln;451100]a few suggestions for some feds all star wrestling (uk) elite wrestling federation (uk) eurostars (belgium) nwa uk hammerlock (uk) premier promotions (uk) the wrestling alliance (uk) world association of wrestling (uk) catch wrestling association (germany) verband der berufsringer (germany) border city wrestling (canada) northern championship wrestling (canada) stampede wrestling (canada)[/QUOTE] Thanks for the suggestions paulskln, I'm looking into them but unfortunately most are difficult to find a decent sized roster for. I came pretty close to including NWA Hammerlock in my initial promotions but just couldn't get enough info on some of their workers active around '96 which is unfortunate. Unsure as to how I could treat Stampede since they seem to open and close a fair bit, pretty sure they were closed during '96 but if I find out a bit more about some workers I can have them as a yet to open promotion. There is an outside chance Border City Wrestling or Catch Wrestling Association may be included, but this will more than likely be after the beta if they are included at all. The other promotions I am still researching. In addition to the previously listed promotions I am looking at including the old Hardy Boyz promotion OMEGA as a yet to open fed. Not sure how it slipped my mind earlier as it was one of those indies that churned out a lot of workers who joined the major promotions. If there are any other notable promotions from around this time anyone is aware of and which I can find a decent roster for, now is the time to tell me. I am open to suggestions but will need some convincing before adding any more indies simply because of the amount of work involved. Would also again like to thank justtxyank for the hard work in making pictures, he's been a total workhorse and never complains when I send him in search of some of the most obscure workers. EDIT: Also, it slipped my mind. Is anyone interested in helping out with title histories? I had a volunteer in the very early days who seems to have fallen off the face of the earth so if anyone is interested in doing some of the tedious and thankless work for me, you are more than welcome to volunteer and help get this mod out a little faster.

• 2 weeks later...
mp84 ... sorry you may have to wait. :p It's still coming along and will still be released, but is being delayed. I've had a few issues ordering TEW 08 as there has been some confusion between myself and eLicense regarding payment, I think we are on the track to getting it resolved but it is still likely to push back the release date by a fair bit. I can't test without the full version, and I am not releasing an untested mod. In addition to this, I'm hoping to maybe add some more title histories of defuct promotions to give more of a sense of history to the mod. I've had a volunteer to do some of the title histories for me, but if anyone else can lend some time that would be appreciated. In response to DarkMaverick87 ... I am including important workers up to the present day .... don't expect to see whichever WWE DIVA most recently debuted (because honestly I can't be bothered including them) but the main workers of today as well as a pretty large selection of workers who debuted between 96 and now will be included. Debut dates may be a little off for some workers who either debuted before the age of 16 (not sure why TEW still has that limitation) or whose debut date is not recorded, but the majority will be pretty accurate. If anyone wants to request a worker they are welcome to and if they are not already in the database I will probably add them. My aim is for the majority of major promotions that opened between 1996 and now will have most of their roster available in the game. Okay that is my latest update/waffle on .... happy to see some people are still interested despite how much longer than expected this mod is taking to complete.

Sounds awesome, it was more of a friendly bump then anything, as I saw this mod went down to the 4th page, and all :) ... Another curious question though, but will there be new storylines or angles made for this mod? MP

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;458886]mp84 ... sorry you may have to wait. :p In response to DarkMaverick87 ... I am including important workers up to the present day .... don't expect to see whichever WWE DIVA most recently debuted (because honestly I can't be bothered including them) but the main workers of today as well as a pretty large selection of workers who debuted between 96 and now will be included. Debut dates may be a little off for some workers who either debuted before the age of 16 (not sure why TEW still has that limitation) or whose debut date is not recorded, but the majority will be pretty accurate. If anyone wants to request a worker they are welcome to and if they are not already in the database I will probably add them. My aim is for the majority of major promotions that opened between 1996 and now will have most of their roster available in the game.[/QUOTE] You know what? That's absolutely awesome. I was watching a bunch of old WCW stuff on YouTube last night. I really can't wait to play this mod, and to know that you're working that much to include the current day rosters, this may be one of the best the TEW series has ever had. I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks for doing it.

[QUOTE=mp84;459055]Sounds awesome, it was more of a friendly bump then anything, as I saw this mod went down to the 4th page, and all :) ... Another curious question though, but will there be new storylines or angles made for this mod? MP[/QUOTE] Yeah I am adding a few angles as I don't really think the default ones cover everything I want to do when I play a game. I like to have a lot of different interviews and short segments and will also probably add some of the stranger angles from around this era, possibly involving monster trucks. :D As for storylines I haven't put any in yet and may not get them done by the time I want to release the initial beta but should include them in whatever becomes my final version. I have done some initial step by step plans and brainstormed some ideas. I've NEVER made storylines before and find them a bit confusing, but here are some of my ideas so far. Feel free to suggest any additions or offer any help in suggesting what steps you would include in a particular storyline. The Birth of Austin 3:16 - Storyline revolving around the King of the Ring '96 in which Austin defeats the newly religious Jake the Snake and goes on to deliver his famous catchphrase for the first time. Formation of the nWo - Needs no explanation. Formation of DX - As above, but with more penis jokes. Stone Cold -vs- McMahon Feud - There was so much to this it may be difficult to do since it ended up expanding and expanding including more people such as the Ministry, Corporation etc but any mod from the late '90s would be incomplete without this classic feud. The Path of Rage - A storyline detailing Taz's lengthy winning streak including his match with UFC Fighter "Polar Bear" Paul Varelans and his chasing Sabu, may be a multi-part storyline leading into the grudge match of the century, Taz -vs- Sabu at Barely Legal and the grudge rematch of the century in which Sabu gets his revenge at Wrasslepalooza 97 ending the winning streak of Taz only for a furious Taz to win the ECW TV title from Shane Douglas the same night. Tommy Dreamer -vs- Raven Feud - Even though this feud was aleady underway at this point, it would go on for around another 18 months as Tommy Dreamer would be unable to defeat Raven, Bealah would get pregnant to Tommy Dreamer, Kimona would debut and then also defect after having an affair with Bealah, Pitbulls and Brian Lee would become involved before Dreamer would finally get his victory at WrasslePalooza 97. The Hayabusa/Team No Respect Feud - From the World Entertainment Wrestling era of FMW this is the feud between former high school friends who broke into the business together, Hayabusa and Mr Gannosuke, as well as Team No Respect run by evil commissioner Kodo Fuyuki who have sided with Gannosuke. Would lead to the infamous anal explosion match before a final battle between the two, with Hayabusa wrestling as H and Gannosuke as The Fake Hayabusa. So yeah, I do have a few other ideas up my sleeve too as I might add one or two "what if" style storylines just to amuse myself or for people who want to try something different.

That sounds totally cool BH, I look forward to that, when its done.. One of my minor complaints with all the mods going about, is that I'm mostly seeing imports from 07 storylines (with the exception of maybe the '91 mod which I think had some created storylines from the '08 editor, but not sure), and yes its a ton of work, I understand that, but the fact that your going to include storylines by using the actual '08 edtior is awesome. And who knows, maybe you'll get some volounteers to further help with creating more storylines, cause there's sooooooo much stuff that was done during that period, it would be interesting to relive it , or do things differently :) Again, don't mean to knock the other modders as all of you have done a fantastic job, more then I would have ever done that's for sure :) MP

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;459384]The Hayabusa/Team No Respect Feud - From the World Entertainment Wrestling era of FMW this is the feud between former high school friends who broke into the business together, Hayabusa and Mr Gannosuke, as well as Team No Respect run by evil commissioner Kodo Fuyuki who have sided with Gannosuke. Would lead to the infamous anal explosion match before a final battle between the two, with Hayabusa wrestling as H and Gannosuke as The Fake Hayabusa.[/QUOTE] That would get my download even if this contained nothing else.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;459384]Yeah I am adding a few angles as I don't really think the default ones cover everything I want to do when I play a game. I like to have a lot of different interviews and short segments and will also probably add some of the stranger angles from around this era, possibly involving monster trucks. :D As for storylines I haven't put any in yet and may not get them done by the time I want to release the initial beta but should include them in whatever becomes my final version. I have done some initial step by step plans and brainstormed some ideas. I've NEVER made storylines before and find them a bit confusing, but here are some of my ideas so far. Feel free to suggest any additions or offer any help in suggesting what steps you would include in a particular storyline. The Birth of Austin 3:16 - Storyline revolving around the King of the Ring '96 in which Austin defeats the newly religious Jake the Snake and goes on to deliver his famous catchphrase for the first time. Formation of the nWo - Needs no explanation. Formation of DX - As above, but with more penis jokes. Stone Cold -vs- McMahon Feud - There was so much to this it may be difficult to do since it ended up expanding and expanding including more people such as the Ministry, Corporation etc but any mod from the late '90s would be incomplete without this classic feud. The Path of Rage - A storyline detailing Taz's lengthy winning streak including his match with UFC Fighter "Polar Bear" Paul Varelans and his chasing Sabu, may be a multi-part storyline leading into the grudge match of the century, Taz -vs- Sabu at Barely Legal and the grudge rematch of the century in which Sabu gets his revenge at Wrasslepalooza 97 ending the winning streak of Taz only for a furious Taz to win the ECW TV title from Shane Douglas the same night. Tommy Dreamer -vs- Raven Feud - Even though this feud was aleady underway at this point, it would go on for around another 18 months as Tommy Dreamer would be unable to defeat Raven, Bealah would get pregnant to Tommy Dreamer, Kimona would debut and then also defect after having an affair with Bealah, Pitbulls and Brian Lee would become involved before Dreamer would finally get his victory at WrasslePalooza 97. The Hayabusa/Team No Respect Feud - From the World Entertainment Wrestling era of FMW this is the feud between former high school friends who broke into the business together, Hayabusa and Mr Gannosuke, as well as Team No Respect run by evil commissioner Kodo Fuyuki who have sided with Gannosuke. Would lead to the infamous anal explosion match before a final battle between the two, with Hayabusa wrestling as H and Gannosuke as The Fake Hayabusa. So yeah, I do have a few other ideas up my sleeve too as I might add one or two "what if" style storylines just to amuse myself or for people who want to try something different.[/QUOTE] the team no respect angle is on this link [url]http://fmwwrestling.us/TNR.html[/url]

Just a progress update as I don't do many. Roster is very near completion, currently 1200 workers and with around another 50-100 odd to be added. Around 250-300 will be yet to debut workers whose debut dates range from later in 96 through to around 2005 meaning at least a decade of gameplay should be possible, hopefully more. Also added a bunch of locations and still looking for more, if anyone wants to suggest a venue (europe/uk especially welcome) feel free so long as the venue existed in 96. Title history volunteers ??? You guys still exist? PM me if you are alive. Release date of this mod is still uncertain and considering some of the setbacks I had I am not going to hazard a guess at this point, just have faith that it WILL be released in the near future and it will be solid.

• 4 weeks later...
Just an update, and not a good one. More an explanation as to why this mod has not been released yet and probably won't be for quite some time. At the moment my studies consume most of my life, with a few other things filling up the rest of the time. In addition to this, things conspire to keep this mod from completion. Honestly, I am frustrated. 1300 workers each added by me based on footage I saw myself just sitting on my computer incomplete and unplayed. This mod is frighteningly close to being if not complete then at least a very solid beta version. I have put more hours work, research and more energy into this project than you guys want to know. Fact is though, with limited time, volunteers never putting work in or getting back to me, and my main man justtxyank having to drop out as pic maker for the time being due to something pretty damn unfortunate happening what appeared to be an almost complete project for a team is now a pretty long term one man job. So this project is on the backburner for the time being .... I would release what I have so far to the community to work on but honestly, this is my baby ... I couldn't stand to see someone slap the final 10% together with bits and pieces imported from other mods or guessed at and release it. The next time I'm likely to be able to put real time into this will be around November. If anyone genuinely wants to volunteer some time to take care of the tedious work (title histories/pic making etc) feel free to PM me but at this point I am not expecting any help. Sorry to anyone who is disappointed, hopefully when I get more time I'll make up for it.

• 1 month later...
After taking a break from this mod to concentrate on other things and let my frustration die down I am back taking a look over the data, testing and adding a few more bits and pieces. And I need some questions answered. What networks broadcast WWF, WCW programming in Canada, UK etc in 1996? What PPV carriers were WWF and WCW PPV's available on in any and all countries in 1996?

Archived