1996 Mod for 2008 Coming Soon

UK never had a PPV carrier that i remember in 1996, i believe they were on Sky Sports still (RAW, PPVs etc...). I dont remember WCW being shown in the UK back then it was more towards 1998 when TNT was shown after Paramount at 7 ish when WCW started programming in the UK, hope that helps, if anyone has a better memory though they could help more.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[QUOTE=Woodsmeister;505828]UK never had a PPV carrier that i remember in 1996, i believe they were on Sky Sports still (RAW, PPVs etc...). I dont remember WCW being shown in the UK back then it was more towards 1998 when TNN was shown after Paramount at 7 ish when WCW started programming in the UK, hope that helps, if anyone has a better memory though they could help more.[/QUOTE] WCW Worldwide was shown on ITV, Saturday afternoons in the early 90's and remained on the channel until Nitro began showing on TNN on Friday Nights.

WCW was aired in the UK on TNT (dunno if non-Brits remember this, basically was a film channel that did show Nitro in 1996, though i think we may have been a couple weeks behind? It later showed Thunder) It was a free to air channel on SKY TV and as such I wouldnt say it should be any larger than medium size and set as mainstream. Hope this helps Oh and i just remembered that i seem to recall flicking through satellite channels on a friday night several times and watching WCW in German and that always seemed more up to date though i think that was probably about 1998 -1999. Any German's here know if Nitro was shown in 1996?

[QUOTE=bonos mullet;505836]WCW was aired in the UK on TNT (dunno if non-Brits remember this, basically was a film channel that did show Nitro in 1996, though i think we may have been a couple weeks behind? It later showed Thunder)[/QUOTE] I'm pretty sure at the later stages of WCW's run, the Nitro being screened was from the same week as the one shown on Monday in the US, although annoyingly Nitro was often missing and hours worth of content (since the 3 hour shows were being crammed into just 2 hours on TNT. As mentioned in a post before, all the WWF/WWE ppvs at that time were screened on Sky Sports. The WCW ppvs weren't available on UK TV in any form.

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;437679]I currently have around 1000 workers in the database with more still to come.[/QUOTE] Does this include present day workers with their debut dates set? Having that really increases the playability factor of the game... because then I'd no doubt take this mod all the way from '96 to 2008!

[QUOTE=DarkMaverick87;505951]Does this include present day workers with their debut dates set? Having that really increases the playability factor of the game... because then I'd no doubt take this mod all the way from '96 to 2008![/QUOTE] Yes, around 350 yet to debut workers are already in the database and more may be added after the release of the beta if there is sufficient interest. Playing up until the present day should be entirely possible but I am yet to test that far into the game. Yet to open promotions are also in the data and include the likes of RoH, NOAH, NWA-TNA etc. I hate saying a release date as I made a fool of myself before when I thought I would have been close to releasing this one way back on TEW 07 before the release of 08. That said, I am thinking I will have a playable and fairly detailed beta released in about 2 months, I seriously have most of the data in already and it's now largely a matter of fine-tuning as I don't want to release the kind of mod where all the promotions lose their TV immediately, there are a dozen deaths in the first week and Jimmy Hart ends up as the owner of Michinoku Pro. Final version complete with an original pic pack will be released sometime after that depending on many many factors .... including the quality of info I get about TV and PPV which is my weak point!

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;506005]Yes, around 350 yet to debut workers are already in the database and more may be added after the release of the beta if there is sufficient interest. Playing up until the present day should be entirely possible[/QUOTE] That's awesome news! I've been waiting for a mod just like this that dates way back and can be played to the present. One thing I'm already planning on doing is to play as WCW and grab the Hardy Boyz there to start an OMEGA faction of Sugar Shane Helms, Shannon Moore, Joey Matthews and Amy Dumas. This is going to be sweet! Agh I don't want to wait 2 months... hahah

What do you need help with Hamster? I'm not much of a pic cutter, so if you have anything else you need help with, let me know. I've got a plan for WCW, but I need a good mod to work with. I tried Montreal, but December 1997 is too late for me. So, I want to help to get this one on its feet.

[QUOTE=Nightshadeex;506713]What do you need help with Hamster? I'm not much of a pic cutter, so if you have anything else you need help with, let me know. I've got a plan for WCW, but I need a good mod to work with. I tried Montreal, but December 1997 is too late for me. So, I want to help to get this one on its feet.[/QUOTE] Thanks for offering to help. As it stands I have done most of what I need to do, but there are a few areas where research or some creative ideas rather than data entry could help me out. Pretty much the kind of help I need at the moment is ... Info on PPV carriers in 1996. Being Australian I know NOTHING about the US PPV carriers or even who carried WWF and WCW events in those days ... or even today for that matter. Locations for some areas such as Canada, Europe, Puerto Rico etc. Not just swiped from other mods and must be locations that existed in 1996 (I hate playing mods where events are held in locations not build until 5 years later). Also prefer for locations to be under the name they were known as in 1996 since many locations change names every few years depending on sponsors etc. Storyline ideas. I think earlier in this thread I gave some info on the kinds of storylines from this era I want to include. If anyone has more ideas, or wants to try to create or at least list out what step by step elements a particular story might need then that would be cool. At the moment I have done no storylines, but have the basic outlines of a few I want to include. Storylines probably won't make it into the beta unless I really get my act together or I get some help in this area. Suggestions for the Hall of Immortals. At the moment I have only El Santo, Rikidozan and Andre the Giant in there, and I will probably add a few other really iconic names like Lou Thesz, Gorgeous George etc. Open to other suggestions. Gimmicks - At the moment I have some pretty default gimmicks and have not really set them for racial types etc. If anyone has any particular gimmicks they want to include then by all means that would be cool too. Also in terms of pics, most of the pics for major workers of the day are done already by justtxyank (and done nicely too I might add) while I am working on a lot of more obscure worker pics. If anyone wants to do some more pictures they are not hard to do, they are done DOTT style rather than cutting workers and putting them on a KYKY style background. Let me know and I will send you the background and a couple of example pics so you know how they are done. Yeah it sounds like a lot left to do and I know I sound like a fussy bastard, but it's really not that much left and I am just aiming to make this mod as high quality as possible.

Well, I've drummed up a number of arenas that have been used as wrestling venues in Canada. The only downside is that these arenas tend to range from Very Small size to Big. So I've also gone through and put together a list of arenas that could realistically hold events, for playability reasons. For most sizes, there are more than one arena per region. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but if you're interested, I can slap them all into a locations file and send them to you.

[QUOTE=Nightshadeex;506873]Well, I've drummed up a number of arenas that have been used as wrestling venues in Canada. The only downside is that these arenas tend to range from Very Small size to Big. So I've also gone through and put together a list of arenas that could realistically hold events, for playability reasons. For most sizes, there are more than one arena per region. I don't know if that's what you're looking for, but if you're interested, I can slap them all into a locations file and send them to you.[/QUOTE] Yep, that'd be awesome man. Would save me some work. :)

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;507268]Yep, that'd be awesome man. Would save me some work. :)[/QUOTE] Just as a random comment about some Canadian locations in the Maritimes. The Moncton Coliseum holds about 7000 for a hockey game. If seats were out on the floor for a wrestling event, it can go up to 8000. It might be best to set it at the 10000 mark to get it as close as possible to real life. In some mods I've seen it set at 5000, and that doesn't reflect how big it is really well. Also, if it isn't in there, might as well add the Halifax Forum alongside the Metro Centre. The Forum holds about 5000, while the Metro Centre about 10000 - 15,000 depending on the event.

Oh, the Forum and Metro Centre are there and they happen to be the sizes you suggested. A lot of the Canadian buildings had capacities of around 7500, when I put them in, I just took a look at what was needed. Of course, BH has the final editorial say and may want to change around some of the capacities. My motivation was playability along with reality. Even if the arena has a true capacity of 7500, if the Fed held a show there, they'd tarp a decent section off for the stage set up, and probably tarp off some of the nose bleeds. That's how I look at it though, your mileage may vary. :)

Yeah I'll take a look at venue sizes and add Moncton Coliseum. The work Nightshadeex did looked spot on to me, as my approach is usually to round to the nearest number or add whatever is needed. So if there are already a few venues with 10000 capacity and I get one that looks like being 7500, might as well round down but add the product values high to make it more likely to get a full house. Similarly, if the opposite occurs I will round up and have product values lower to make it a little harder to get to 10000 etc. I'll take you comments on board though Jericho Rules and hopefully you will be happy with the finished product. :)

[QUOTE=BurningHamster;508529]Yeah I'll take a look at venue sizes and add Moncton Coliseum. The work Nightshadeex did looked spot on to me, as my approach is usually to round to the nearest number or add whatever is needed. So if there are already a few venues with 10000 capacity and I get one that looks like being 7500, might as well round down but add the product values high to make it more likely to get a full house. Similarly, if the opposite occurs I will round up and have product values lower to make it a little harder to get to 10000 etc. I'll take you comments on board though Jericho Rules and hopefully you will be happy with the finished product. :)[/QUOTE] Good stuff. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with the final product. I'm really looking forward to a 96 mod, as it's full of nostalgia for me. :D

[QUOTE=EkmO;510165]Any time frame for this?[/QUOTE] Like I said earlier, beta in about 2 months (well ... maybe 6 weeks by now) Final version with pics + storylines and all the fancy pants stuff sometime after that. I won't really be touching the mod for the next 2 weeks, but after that it should be full steam ahead until it is done. As for WCW on UK tv, from my research and what people have told me I am thinking they were not broadcast in the UK at this point, but I will give WCW some popularity in the UK as I believe they were broadcast there earlier, and so that they can in theory get a UK TV deal. I'm still looking at TV and it seems like the most time consuming part of finishing the beta for the moment since I have a lot of networks I know nothing about which I am trying to balance. If I have too much trouble I might just release the beta and from there let you guys tell me how far off I am so I can fix it. Thanks for all the answers, and if anyone wants to throw anymore TV or PPV info my way then feel free.

Archived