Diary Writing Tips

[QUOTE=James Casey;1146486]Yeah, from MS Word - 2003 in my case. I haven't tried using OpenOffice or Kingston Writer, but I'd guess it'd be the same. There are ways around it, as noted - you just have to find a thread to reply to that doesn't produce the odd formatting, wherever it comes from.[/QUOTE] I use Open Office, though admittedly my bolding, underlining, italicising, etc, is all done either by trying the [ i ] etc symbols out or by formatting within the data entry box.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
As a general rule I have seen, if your expecting a lot of responses. Do a Real World diary. I have more responses in a week of game time in my TNA diary then I do and in my two plus months of my P.S.W/W.C.W. game. I'll have to check but that number may be getting close to my D.A.V.E. game years ago. oh and bump

[QUOTE=mystic;1205204]As a general rule I have seen, if your expecting a lot of responses. Do a Real World diary. I have more responses in a week of game time in my TNA diary then I do and in my two plus months of my P.S.W/W.C.W. game. I'll have to check but that number may be getting close to my D.A.V.E. game years ago. oh and bump[/QUOTE] Any reason for this?

[QUOTE=mystic;1205204]As a general rule I have seen, if your expecting a lot of responses. Do a Real World diary. I have more responses in a week of game time in my TNA diary then I do and in my two plus months of my P.S.W/W.C.W. game. I'll have to check but that number may be getting close to my D.A.V.E. game years ago. oh and bump[/QUOTE] Honestly, I don't think its as simple as real world equals responses. It depends on the promotion, the presentation, and even the history of the writer. There have been plenty of real world diaries that, for various possible reasons, didn't get as much response as the average CornellVerse diary.

If you're a new writer, I've found, the responses will start to come in once you've established your diary. Don't get hung up because no one making predictions, just keep on plugging away. If that sort of thing discourages you, make it a point to keep an eye on the diary views. That, to me, is just as important as responses, because it tells me that people are reading. They just, for some reason, choose not to post in the topic.

Here's a question to all diary writers out there. Even if you are still enjoying writing your diary, doesn't it make you feel, empty inside if you go extended periods of time with no replies, predictions etc? I love playing this game and writing, but if nobody responds to my diary at all I feel like, what's the point? Because then, I'm just doing it for my own enjoyment, which I can do by just playing and not doing all the write-ups. My diary is there for two reasons, to allow me to have fun and write, and to entertain people. If you don't feel like you are entertaining anybody because you aren't getting comments or predictions, it just sucks. I've heard people say "as long as your views are going up," but the thing is I always want to improve and can't do that without my readers giving me two minutes to reply with suggestions, feedback or anything. Thoughts?

[QUOTE=Clabobby;1211449]Here's a question to all diary writers out there. Even if you are still enjoying writing your diary, doesn't it make you feel, empty inside if you go extended periods of time with no replies, predictions etc? I love playing this game and writing, but if nobody responds to my diary at all I feel like, what's the point? Because then, I'm just doing it for my own enjoyment, which I can do by just playing and not doing all the write-ups. My diary is there for two reasons, to allow me to have fun and write, and to entertain people. If you don't feel like you are entertaining anybody because you aren't getting comments or predictions, it just sucks. I've heard people say "as long as your views are going up," but the thing is I always want to improve and can't do that without my readers giving me two minutes to reply with suggestions, feedback or anything. Thoughts?[/QUOTE] It happens, and there's definetly times when you're sitting there, with no replies, wondering why someone just dropped a one star rating on your diary (9/10 times its the good diaries that get one starred... probably by folks who are jealous of the awesome writing talents... other 1/10, well, yeah, the diary just ain't good). That said, just because folks aren't replying/discussing the events transpiring in your diary doesn't mean they aren't reading and enjoying it. As long as that times viewed counter keeps ticking up, and if you're getting even mentioned from time to time in the DOTM stuff, you're doing pretty good. Really, diaries that have a great deal of discussion in them are a rarity. Usually only a couple of those active at a time, really. But I completely understand where you're coming from with this is. I too have been greatly discouraged a couple times after putting up a few shows and next to no replies, maybe a couple of generic predictions... but I typically stuck it out and found out that my EWA diary was beloved by many. :) Just stick with it, is all I can say. If you enjoy writing your diary, odds are there are people who enjoy reading it. They may not be the most vocal about it, but when they DO mention it... well, one time with my old EWA diary a guy said it was the only reason he came to the message boards. Felt awesome. And now that diary has been laid to rest, he's gone... :( And if memory serves correct, you were quickly nominated for rookie DOTM. That means folks noticed. High five. :cool:

[QUOTE=Comradebot;1211460]It happens, and there's definetly times when you're sitting there, with no replies, wondering why someone just dropped a one star rating on your diary (9/10 times its the good diaries that get one starred... probably by folks who are jealous of the awesome writing talents... other 1/10, well, yeah, the diary just ain't good). That said, just because folks aren't replying/discussing the events transpiring in your diary doesn't mean they aren't reading and enjoying it. As long as that times viewed counter keeps ticking up, and if you're getting even mentioned from time to time in the DOTM stuff, you're doing pretty good. Really, diaries that have a great deal of discussion in them are a rarity. Usually only a couple of those active at a time, really. But I completely understand where you're coming from with this is. I too have been greatly discouraged a couple times after putting up a few shows and next to no replies, maybe a couple of generic predictions... but I typically stuck it out and found out that my EWA diary was beloved by many. :) Just stick with it, is all I can say. If you enjoy writing your diary, odds are there are people who enjoy reading it. They may not be the most vocal about it, but when they DO mention it... well, one time with my old EWA diary a guy said it was the only reason he came to the message boards. Felt awesome. And now that diary has been laid to rest, he's gone... :( And if memory serves correct, you were quickly nominated for rookie DOTM. That means folks noticed. High five. :cool:[/QUOTE] Wait, I was? Ha ha I'll have to check it out. I'm not so much feeling this way with my current diary as I've had a fair amount of predictors for my first three shows (though I went from seven to three this time...) All the other diaries I had ended because I felt like nobody cared. At first view counts were going up and up, but they started to dwindle. Mix that with the fact that the only two diaries I have read every post for were Dragonmack's old NYCW 08 and James Casey's MAW: Ten Simple Rules, I saw how many replies and predictions they were getting and was hoping for a quarter of that. I guess I'm just the kind of person that thrives on catering to what readers like and would like feedback to help me make the adjustment.

[QUOTE=Clabobby;1211468]Wait, I was? Ha ha I'll have to check it out. I'm not so much feeling this way with my current diary as I've had a fair amount of predictors for my first three shows (though I went from seven to three this time...) All the other diaries I had ended because I felt like nobody cared. At first view counts were going up and up, but they started to dwindle. Mix that with the fact that the only two diaries I have read every post for were Dragonmack's old NYCW 08 and James Casey's MAW: Ten Simple Rules, I saw how many replies and predictions they were getting and was hoping for a quarter of that. I guess I'm just the kind of person that thrives on catering to what readers like and would like feedback to help me make the adjustment.[/QUOTE] Yup, and those were two of THE most popular diaries of all time. Rome wasn't built in a day. Just sit back and have fun with it. Getting discouraged can lead to FINisher-itis, the horrible disease where you start what looks like a suprememely excellent diary and then vanish, and then start another awesome looking diary, ect... Don't worry FIN, I suffer from a form of this, too! It does sometimes help to explicitly ask for feedback. Some folks are kind enough to give some creative criticism.

[QUOTE=Comradebot;1211482]Yup, and those were two of THE most popular diaries of all time. Rome wasn't built in a day. Just sit back and have fun with it. Getting discouraged can lead to FINisher-itis, the horrible disease where you start what looks like a suprememely excellent diary and then vanish, and then start another awesome looking diary, ect... Don't worry FIN, I suffer from a form of this, too! It does sometimes help to explicitly ask for feedback. Some folks are kind enough to give some creative criticism.[/QUOTE] Before FINisher that was the Panix syndrome. But yeah it gets a little discouraging. I think even just a short "Hey I'm really enjoying this" from some one goes a long way to making the diary writer feel like he's got some one to write for.

[QUOTE=Apupunchau@optonline;1211493]Before FINisher that was the Panix syndrome. But yeah it gets a little discouraging. I think even just a short [B]"Hey I'm really enjoying this"[/B] from some one goes a long way to making the diary writer feel like he's got some one to write for.[/QUOTE] I vote we all go, and use this [I]exact[/I] phrase in any diaries we're reading.

This is why I try and read and pick in as many diaries as possible (although sadly I can't read and pick in them all). It is because I know how much it sucks when nobody picks or replies at all and I would hate for a writer with potential to leave just because nobody was picking in their diary. The thing is with me, by trying to read and pick in so many diaries, I tend to no longer make what Tigerkinney calls quality picks. Meaning picks with feedback in them, I mean I should go back to doing that as it goes a long way into helping out the writers but I just never seem to do it anymore.

The Frustration of Feedback is a common problem. Very very common. I have discussed it with a few very prominent writers, and I have certainly felt it myself. I realize that in all of my projects so far, I've been lucky to get pretty consistent feedback and comments. It didn't just happen - it took a long time, some near-begging, and lots of encouraging "off-topic" discussion. Even still, there are times with some of my previous projects where I felt really frustrated with not getting much beyond simply predictions. As readers, trying to be aware of that frustration is not a bad thing. I don't think commenting for the sake of commenting is necesearily a good things - there has to be honestly behind the comments. But throwing out a "good show" or "enjoying this" is certainly always going to be appreciated. Comments on what you're enjoying or what you'd like to see are even better. As writers, there's really nothing you can do but perservere. Encouring some feedback with specific questions can work - better to ask specific questions rather than just asking for general feedback. Not guaranteed.

[QUOTE=Bigpapa42;1211545]The Frustration of Feedback is a common problem. Very very common. I have discussed it with a few very prominent writers, and I have certainly felt it myself. I realize that in all of my projects so far, I've been lucky to get pretty consistent feedback and comments. It didn't just happen - it took a long time, some near-begging, and lots of encouraging "off-topic" discussion. Even still, there are times with some of my previous projects where I felt really frustrated with not getting much beyond simply predictions. As readers, trying to be aware of that frustration is not a bad thing. I don't think commenting for the sake of commenting is necesearily a good things - there has to be honestly behind the comments. But throwing out a "good show" or "enjoying this" is certainly always going to be appreciated. Comments on what you're enjoying or what you'd like to see are even better. As writers, there's really nothing you can do but perservere. Encouring some feedback with specific questions can work - better to ask specific questions rather than just asking for general feedback. Not guaranteed.[/QUOTE] Tell me about it. I believe I have actually had a conversation with you about this. It is tough to keep going when there is little to no feedback. For example, right now I still have some people predicting on my HGC diary (which I really appreciate) but they aren't giving reasons and there is no discussion on creative decisions etc. which sometimes makes me wonder if it is worth it. But yeah, just stick with it. Ultimately you are writing the diary because YOU want to write it. If others join in then even better. Personally I would love to get the kind of following that Phantom Stranger gets (PS is like my personal diary writing Jesus), but I realise that is a lofty ambition and will likely never happen. The moral of the story is to just keep doing it for as long as you enjoy writing it.

[QUOTE=Clabobby;1211449]Here's a question to all diary writers out there. Even if you are still enjoying writing your diary, doesn't it make you feel, empty inside if you go extended periods of time with no replies, predictions etc? I love playing this game and writing, but if nobody responds to my diary at all I feel like, what's the point? Because then, I'm just doing it for my own enjoyment, which I can do by just playing and not doing all the write-ups. My diary is there for two reasons, to allow me to have fun and write, and to entertain people. If you don't feel like you are entertaining anybody because you aren't getting comments or predictions, it just sucks. I've heard people say "as long as your views are going up," but the thing is I always want to improve and can't do that without my readers giving me two minutes to reply with suggestions, feedback or anything. Thoughts?[/QUOTE] [QUOTE=LoNdOn;1212140] Personally I would love to get the kind of following that Phantom Stranger gets (PS is like my personal diary writing Jesus), but I realise that is a lofty ambition and will likely never happen. The moral of the story is to just keep doing it for as long as you enjoy writing it.[/QUOTE] True story: [URL="http://67.19.230.90/~arles/forum/showthread.php?t=26471"]My first diary[/URL] had virtually nothing. Occasional prediction responses. After a while Marcel Fromage posted regularly. But that was about it. (Don't bother with it, by the way. It's not terribly good.) I've reached the conclusion, over the three years since, that that was because I had no rep, no real recognition factor. Why would someone tune in to my diary? But that first diary ran something like six years and about eight hundred shows. That demonstrated, at the least, that if I started something I was going to stick around. I honestly believe that once you have a reputation for your diaries trailing off before they get started - even if it's because, in your eyes, you get no feedback - readers are less likely to start reading your stuff. I know I am, for example. If you're a new writer, you have to assume you aren't gonna be one of the lucky ones who comes in with a built-in audience and gets massive reading stats off the bat. You have to assume that a decent chunk of your first project is going to be just telling the story, and not worrying how many people listen. You have to trust that your stuff will eventually catch people's attention, and you have to give it the chance. You are, quite literally, fishing for viewers and you've got to handle it the same way. Patience, understanding, etc. People are more likely to give an established name a chance. Look at the difference between the start of my first and the start of Philly Pro. Then look again at my TCW numbers. It will improve, but you have to give it time.

It's also not a bad idea to give yourself a definite reward for the diary. For example, say each view is worth a penny or dime. Then when you get enough money, buy yourself some gum, candy or a sandwich. That gives you a tangible sense of reward just from having readers. My 5SSW diary got 1,600 views. That was many bowls of spicy noodles. ^_^

I can certainly understand the frustration. I know when I was inducted into the HoF last year someone looked at the long list of non-10SR diaries I'd written and admitted they had no idea I'd done [I]anything[/I] else. Even with my current diary, an SWF diary, I'm not getting the same level of input I did previously. However, there's a few reasons for that: I managed to updated 10SR something like four or five times a week - I'm not doing that right now, for various reasons. Because I was doing a lot to keep my diary at the top, it was visible, and because I was committed, other people committed. True story, the first diary I really, truly fell in love with was jstarr's The Fixer over on EWB. Other diaries there like The Oracle, LAW and Battle for Vince's Soul were all long runners... with several hundred posts. That's a lot - but my MAW diary clocked in at over 2,100 posts. That was a [I]lot[/I] of work. Not all the posts were mine, of course, but a lot were. Feedback is great, but don't look at it as the be-all and end-all. It can be hard for an un-established writer to crack what can be something of a glass ceiling on this forum. I would say that a few writers are established enough to create some buzz with a new project, and people will jump in on the start of whatever they do. You then have the next set of writers who have some incredibly loyal fans who'll read whatever they do, but who maybe don't have as wide a readership. Then you pretty much have everyone else. There may be a few fans (my longest 07 diary had the same three predictors every show) who're following them, but otherwise they're somewhat reliant on catching people's attention. I must admit, I don't read a huge number of diaries. I try and read as many as possible - certainly once something's on a second page and maybe there's a chance it'll run for a while. I'm reluctant to get too caught up in a diary that might vanish quickly (although mention John Awesome or Monkeypox' PSW for fondly-remembered short runners) so I don't tend to predict early in a diary. That said, I tend to be a quality commenter, as in when I do comment it's because I'm caught up in/with a diary, so I might spend ten/fifteen minutes writing a response that could be spent predicting in five or six other diaries. Sorry to everyone else about that :o Basically - it's late, can you tell? - stick it out. If you can endure, the fans will come. If nothing else, get to a hundred posts and I'm pretty much guaranteed to check in on you :p I even got in on the last few show's of Self's FCK diary, so it's certainly possible for gems not to be apparent to everyone. Oh, and as BP notes, the odd bit of off-topic discussion may not hinder things too much. Invite discussion about your diary, see if anyone takes you up on it. In my experience, you can come back a few hours later and find some interesting chatter going on in the meantime.

[QUOTE=James Casey;1212884] Basically - it's late, can you tell? - stick it out. If you can endure, the fans will come. If nothing else, [B][I]get to a hundred posts and I'm pretty much guaranteed to check in on you[/I][/B] :p I even got in on the last few show's of Self's FCK diary, so it's certainly possible for gems not to be apparent to everyone. [/QUOTE] I expect to see you in my diary right now damn it! You have no excuse :p

• 1 month later...
Hey chaps. Bit of a weird one this, possibly. I'm finally going to get around to writing a new diary very soon, but I won't be using TEW. I just don't have the time or patience to use the game for a diary, I just want to provide the most enetertaining diary I can as that is what matters most, and as long as I'm open about not using the game it isn't a problem as it has been done before. However, I still want to incorporate random injuries in to my upcoming diary and I'm wondering what the best way is to go about it. Now, I like to plan all my shows out months in advance then write them up as it makes it all quicker for me, but if I plan 3 months worth of shows, then - just as an example, roll a dice to see if there are going to be injuries and there are - I will have to replan large portions of stuff already planned. So how exactly do the WWE plan ahead and what is the best way to incorporate random injuries in to my diary? Obviously the WWE have their main feuds planned out in advance to a certain degree, but if anything happens they switch it up, like they decided to put Mysterio and Del Rio into a fatal four way against Kane and Edge at TLC because Mysterio was carrying a slight injury that could be better protected in a fatal four way match. Personally that example sucks as they had built the Edge vs Kane match up pretty clearly only to go and throw Rey and Del Rio in at the last minute, but you get the idea. So how can I incorporate random injuries in a way that isn't going to mean I have to go back over three months of shows to see what segments I have a certain superstar in if they get hurt. It might just not work as like I say I like to plan each show in its entirity a good 3 months ahead so that I can then just get on with writing. Hopefully the great folks of GD will have some ideas. I mean obviously I could make notes of the main things I want to happen then start writing all shows for one week, then do the random thing to see if an injury pops up the next week and work around it if needed and write that week and so on. All of this probably makes absolutely no sense and if I can't work around it I'll just end up writing a diary where no one ever gets injured :D

Archived