What was the best era?

MattitudeV2

Favorite, a few from the mid 80's and one in particular from 89-90. WCCW 83-86 Freebirds vs Von Erichs Bill Watts Mid South/UWF R+R Express vs the Midnights, Freebirds vs JYD JCP 84-86 Horsemen vs Dusty and Magnum. The Russians. The Road Warriors, etc WCW 89-90 Flair vs Steamboat Flair vs Funk Sting vs Muta. The Steiner Brothers start becoming big. Horsemen turn on Sting. The creation of Doom... then by the middle of 90 it all started going horribly wrong.

ECW. 1996. Going to house shows there was sweet. RoH was pretty cool in 03 was it? 03-04 they were really fresh and had this natural underlying vibe and tone, this energy. I hadn't felt that since Ag Hall in 96 when I heard people chanting Horrowitz at Chris Candido. TV wise, I'd have to say 96-00, with Jericho being UBERHEEL AWESOME, nWo starting, the attitude era and Degeneration-X. I was also a huge fan of face Shawn Michaels. I would say, to be honest, I was a wrestling fan between 94 and 01, ultimately... and that's where my prime was. Sooooo...

I grew up during the 92-95 (i was 8-11) so i have fond memories of this time, i remember Razor Ramon was my favourite then, i remember going to my mums friends to watch Wrestlemania X and the ladder match, when Razor looked like he was going to lose i ran upstairs to hide, they all shouted me down when he was about to win and i remember him pulling the belt down, i ran round the room, good times :) but obviously going from 11-16 The Attitude Era was huge and i couldnt help being caught up in it, i became a Austin mark and began to stun all my friends. Theres been some good times since but not as many as during the Attitude era :)

[QUOTE=ford;495706] TV wise, I'd have to say 96-00, with Jericho being UBERHEEL AWESOME, nWo starting, the attitude era and Degeneration-X. I was also a huge fan of face Shawn Michaels. I would say, to be honest, I was a wrestling fan between 94 and 01, ultimately... and that's where my prime was. Sooooo...[/QUOTE] You know, this was a pretty good time as well. Especially the first couple years. I'd just gotten done here to Virginia and there was this small indy station on our cable station that had wrestling every night at 10. Could get everything from syndicated B shows from WWE and WCW to ECW to lower level promotions like Music City and the USWA. There was the nWo, the Attitude era and D-X as you said. And something that may be forgotten. The early prototype for the eventual brand split. AKA the nightclub tour format of Shotgun Saturday Night. Before it became just another arena-based B show and lost its charm, Shotgun Saturday Night had a really creative vibe going for it. They were going to hit night clubs, kick up the raunch, and make a late night show of it. Which struck me as a really awesome idea. You could do the main line shows for the traditional youth audiences and Shotgun for more mature crowds. Sadly, SSN turned out to just be a testing ground for the Attitude Era and lost the potential to be really special. But it was an awesome idea as it showed the E's willingness at the time to think outside the box. This wasn't quite AS good a period for me as mid to late 80's. The loss of that indy station saw to that. Well combined with some of the less desirable elements of the Attitude era like the Dudleys raining "defenseless" valets through tables or some of the Sexual Chocolate segments with Mark Henry. But it was a really solid era with potential at times to have total dominion over the world. For those too young to have experienced the early Wrestlemania era and it's immediate aftermath, this probably is the best period they are likely to know.

• 4 months later...
my favorite time in WWF history was when Sensational Sherri and Luna Vachon were feuding. Luna Vachon scared me to death with her veins all over her forehead and her thongs! favorite time in WCW was when Harlem Heat had Jacqueline and she use to use her long nails to scratch Harlem Heat's opponents. I really miss the Attitude era. Owen Hart, Ken Shamrock, Sable, Goldust, Steve Austin, The Rock, and Kane feuding with The Undertaker...man I miss those days!

[B]cappyboy,[/B] There was a similar station up here in Rhode Island back in the early to mid 90's. It had wrestling on every night at 11pm. I got to watch USWA, Smoky Mountain, and ECW. Those were the days... I guess for me I was really into wrestling from Wrestlemania 3 until somewhere around 1998 or so. I was never a real big fan of the Attitude Era as I always had a deep dislike of HHH and Shawn Michaels and they were (besides the The Rock and Steve Austin) the poster boys of said era. Also it was during this time when we started to see the same crap week after week. A trend which we continue to see to this day (How many times do we need to see JBL vs John Cena?) I also hated the whole poor Vince crap. You know evil Ted and WCW are trying to put poor Vince's mom and pop federation out of business. This irked me a lot because that was exactly what Vince did throughout the 80's steal all the other federations top talent and put these federations out of business. In many ways I had always whished that WCW had been the victor and put Vince out of business. Alas that did not happen...

For me any period that wrestling was on tv in the netherlands lol. This is Early wrestlemania period when I started watching and the NWO period of WCW. Now with the wonderfull invention of torrents and TNA getting into a stride (kinda) the current period for me. I am bummed I missed out on WWE attitude and ECW altogether.

[QUOTE=cyberkitten01;495308]I'm afraid it's Attitude Era for me as well. -The Rock becoming the most hateable heel ever -The return of the Big Bossman -Stone Cold Stunners in all directions -The Undertaker & Kane's epic storyline -Mick Foley as champion -DX gen 2 -EC F'N W [B][I][U]-Vampiro[/U][/I][/B] I love the early 90s too, as that was when I got into wrestling as a kid. Even that young the Undertaker was my favourite. I loved Andre and Jake the Snake too. My brother liked the Warrior, I was all about Hogan. I was a huge fan of Bret Hart too, but I don't think I'd enjoy his matches anymore as he doesn't drop anyone on their necks :p[/QUOTE] Vampiro FTW! I got started in the attitude era but I've been thoroughly enjoying wrestling for the past 4 or 5 years. Yes it could be better, but I like it for what it is, and odds are this is probably the stuff I'll remember for the rest of my life.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm kinda split to be honest. I usually claim the 80's as my favorite era, since that was the era that really made me a fan - and I always like to say the famous Flair - Steamboat match in particular (you know the one) put in my mind exactly what a professional wrestling match was supposed to be. But I really liked the "Hot 90's" as well. I was always a fan of WCW, and really got into the whole nWo deal, and then there was ECW. Good Times. I was never too big on the Attitude Era ... just too many "impromptu matches" for my tastes. The only thing I really, really like about the modern era is ROH though... it gives me that old ECW feeling. I been missing that. :cool:

[QUOTE=UkWrestleFan;581824]Attitude era for me. All the stables/factions, The Undertaker/Kane storyline, Austin, The Rock, Mankind. It was just the nuts.[/QUOTE] Amen. Whenever I see clips from the Attitude Era I find myself feeling sad that pro wrestling has kind of lost that "luster" to me. Could be that I'm older now, however, It just seemed like back then there were better storylines... better characters... better matches... More innovative thinking from the E. I know that the Monday Night Wars pushed this but at the time you had WWE giving an edgier product with SCSA, The Rock, Triple H, HBK, The Undertaker, Kane... The list could really go on and on at that time.... You also had ECW as the ultimate "Dark Horse". Some great competitors in Shane Douglas, Raven, Bam Bam, Chris Candido, Jerry Lynn, Tommy Dreamer, Justin Credible... Fuse that with some violence & true grit... And you had a company that could really get you excited about watching their programing (even if it was on at midnight on saturday night here) And then you had WCW in it's prime. The nWo was huge (and hadn't fallen into the whole Wolfpac vs. nWo war thing that kind of sucked), Hulk Hogan was actually interesting to watch... Sting was doing his "crow" thing. Goldberg was on the rise (Even though I didn't really like the guy). A company with a rich sense of tradition that was doing pretty good (beat WWE for awhile in ratings) at producing great wrestling action that got people interested. With all of that being said... How can it not be the whole "Attitude Era" in pro wrestling? You had three different companies all with distinct feelings to them. If you wanted un-abashed violence and controversy you had ECW.... If you wanted sexual overtones, some violence, great characters, and intriguing storylines you had the WWE... And if you liked seeing names of the past mixing it with names of today, Hulk Hogan, Bret Hart, Ric Flair, nWo vs. the Horsemen.... Then you had WCW. God.... Typing all of this out really makes me miss that period of time. The WWE is seriously lacking big talent like SCSA, The Rock, Old HBK (personality wise), Kane (When he was cool)... Not really the person themselves (outside of the Rock) but really the fact that a lot of so called "main eventers" are so underwhelming now a days. I know it can be blamed on writing but still... back then I was itching to watch the WWE because I knew that the Rock, SCSA, HBK, Undertaker could deliver a riveting promo. Now a days I turn on the TV and outside of Chris Jericho and John Cena (Who i'm not a huge fan of Cena... but... he does his job)... The rest seem to fall short and make me more bored than anything else. In a lot of ways it makes me care less about whether they win or what they do because they are just so boring. hah. The WWE needs people like that again (aside from also better booking and allowing people to go freely with promos again) granted I know that people like SCSA and The Rock, etc. are once in a life-time kind of performers. However, what I'm trying to say is that they need people who can find their own voice and become transcendent figures. People who we actually care for and want to see succeed. As of right now, I don't really see anyone on the roster who could do so outside of like a CM Punk (Who has mic skills... we just don't see it). So this is my long winded answer why the "Attitude Era" was better in my mind. My book will be coming out and available at Borders on this matter in a few weeks... jk :rolleyes:

Attitude Era... it was more risky and fun to watch in my opinion. They did more things to get the viewer to keep watching.. the 24/7 Hardcore Title, the Hardy Boyz, TLC, Gillberg, Stone Cold "shooting" Vince. There are alot of great moments from the attitude era that hasn't been seen or replicated since. It also got me into wrestling. And it also got me to enjoy wrestling, and watch pre-1990 stuff. I stopped watching TNA & ECW.. Catch RAW every once and awhile, SD I catch if I'm not busy Fridays.. but it's a Friday and I could always be busy. But whatever era got you into watching wrestling is your favorite. I've been watching AWA on ESPN Classic lately.. wayyy different wrestling on there. Still good though.

Archived