Diary Preview Thread

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

((This =/= me giving up on DaVE. DaVE is in refining phases of Owner v. RVD. This was something started before DaVE that may start up after DaVE ends.))

The interview begins with a soft light on the three Avatars in the front, Elderst Masked Avatar on the right, the youngest Jack Avatar in the middle and the only daughter Kate Avatar seated on the left. The light becomes more pronounced to reveal three more known men. Rip Chord is seated all the way on the left, with Richard Eisen in the middle and Sam Strong on the right.

Off screen the interview clears his throat.

Interviewer: Well, first we’d all like to thank you for being here.

They all nod and murmur in agreement.

Interviewer: As everyone has surely heard, the Avatar family has taken the wrestling industry by storm over the last six months. I’d like to start with you Jack, as your move made the biggest splash.

Jack Avatar: Yeah, it was … June or July. I was working house shows for Pops around the country in TCW, and that was great.

A few snickers are heard from the owners.

Sam Strong: No one wants to do house show.

Jack: No, no really it was. I was connecting with the fans and wrestling some big stars. However I was begging to feel as if Pop’s connections were the only reason I was viewed so highly and really the only reason I was wrestling the big names. I suppose it’s the same feeling Junior had a few years back. Anyway, when my contract renewal come around, I politely declined, stating I wanted to work the Indies. Pops wasn’t thrilled, but he allowed it.

Richard Eisen: We originally brought the kid in on name value. We figured I’d throw him in a few house shows, then either cut him loose or send him to Nero. However, in just the contract negotiations we released he was definitely his father’s son.

Jack smiles his charismatic smile.

Eisen: The little **** negotiated a “No RIPW” clause. Not even people like Faith or Bruce have that. That raised some major eyebrows around corporate. His work ethic, his charisma, and his knowledge raised a lot of eyebrows.

Jack: It was around then that the Syndicate story Pops created started to take off. The name Avatar was hot around the industry, and according to Mr. Eisen here, I was hot in SWF, without even have wrestled on screen. I was called in by Peter Michaels, who was head booker at the time. He told me that me coming to SWF as a development project wasn’t news. However, SWF naming TCW’s masterpiece writer’s kid as head booker, that was a major coup. I always wanted to be a head booker, something even Pop’s had never been, so I jumped on the opportunity. It was disputed on the TEW forums for a while, yes, I’m a member. However, once SWF Corporate issued a statement, the industry went crazy. Days later TCW launched a media counter attack, naming Pop’s head booker away from Joel Bryant and claiming SWF hired “The second best Avatar, because TCW has the best”

Eisen: Of course we at SWF have not and will not reply to such childish attacks. We are comfortable with the Avatar we have.

Interviewer: Even if he’s only in his early 20s?

Eisen: Especially since he’s in his early 20s. The target demographic of SWF is young adult males. I don’t speak to them. Sam didn’t speak to them. Peter doesn’t speak to them. We’re confident Mr. Avatar here will present SWF Wrestling in a way his age group can appreciate.

Jack: It’s easy too, with the talent SWF employs.

Interviewer: All right, they call you Masked Avatar. How’d you get the gimmick of your father’s youth?

Masked Avatar: Well, spend five minutes with Dad and you’ll realize his favorite time in life was around our age. Twenties. Back then he was the Masked Wrestler, fighting in SWF and a few Indies. When he retired I was 17. He came to me with the mask and simply said “Do me proud, Junior”

Interviewer: Junior?

Masked: I share my father’s name.

Interviewer: Which is?

Masked: … Anyway, I was working around the Indies for a few years now. I didn’t want Dad to feel pressure to book me, and I could tell he was. We split mutually, and I hit the Indies hard. I worked for Phil before the bankruptcy, Stomper, Cliff, Sam and of course Rip.”

Rip Chord: It was about that time that we at MAW started noticing Jean’s performances going downhill a bit. Some of us thought it was due to his duties as booker, so we started to search for a new head booker.

Interviewer: How’d Jean take that?

Chord chuckles.

Chord: He knew his performances were slipping but swore that weren’t from his booking. He didn’t want to lose his power.

Masked: To be honest there is a bit of simmering tension there.

Chord: It was a no-brainer to give Junior the shot here. Look up at the top, and both companies have an Avatar in charge. We offered Junior here the shot right as he walked through the curtain after a match. I thought he might pass out.

Chord chuckles again.

Interviewer: That leaves just you Kate.

Strong: She’s an interesting one. One of a kind. The only person I know with the balls to come to me and not only say hire me, but hire me as your head booker.

Kate Avatar: It just made sense to me. An Avatar ran both SWF and TCW, and Junior just got a job. Father hated when I went to work with AAA, saying “Wrestling isn’t for my daughter.” What he didn’t know was he wasn’t some bimbo he might’ve met with Sam here.

Chord chuckles again.

Chord: She sure isn’t there, is she?

Kate: However I knew that Father would never bring a women’s division into TCW, and I was no ring girl. Honestly, I’m surprised I was the last kid to leave the nest.

Interviewer: She came to you, Sam?

Strong: Right to me, and I mean with a fire in her eye that would’ve scared Chris Caulfield. Half the reason I hired her was I was afraid what she’d do if I said no. The other was keeping up with the Avatars, as the top two had these great booking minds, so hell why not hire one too. Shane’ll be around for a bit, and was confident he would get a book again soon.

The interview cuts out to a dark room. The only light is that of a cigarette, and the smoke clouds the view of the man smoking it.

Interviewer: Do you have any comments about your children?

He speaks in a gruff and slow voice.

The Grand Avatar: **** ‘em.

Dude. Come ON.

Yeah, guess I should bring him in... Maybe I was just trying to avoid my usual pitfall of signing WAY too many old guys.... buuuuuut... I've still got room on the roster for one or two more guys. Maybe Jesse Christian will return soon eh? SCCW invasion angle!

Did this up in about 5 minutes, so the final product is going to be a bit better. But tell me what you think about this...

It all started with a phone call from my grandmother. It seems that my grandfather had passed away and that he'd left me his most valueable and prized possession, a lottery ticket that he bought the day before he died. Well wouldn't you know, but when those numbers were drawn the next day if that lottery ticket (1 2 3 4 5 6) wasn't the winning number. I was about to pick up my winnings so I could start my own wrestling promotion, which I was thinking of calling Wrestlicious, when a portal opened in front of me and sucked me right in.

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/gimages/portal_view_1.jpg

No, not THAT portal. Try again.

http://www.inquisitr.com/wp-content/portals.jpg

LOLcats. Really? Really!? :mad:

http://www.pittjug.org/catalog/pics/Job_And_Recruitment_Portal.jpg

Close enough. Well anyway, once I passed through the portal I found myself in a crazy mixed up world where west is left, east is right, Stan Lee is God, and the 4th Wall burns. I found myself in...

http://i312.photobucket.com/albums/ll327/crayotic/title_screen-1.jpg

The interview continues...

Interviewer: So, with an Avatar in charge of four American wrestling companies, do you all talk with each other about booking plans?

Jack: No, no, no.

Interviewer: No talking about wrestling at all?

Jack: Now see you didn't say that.

Kate: The way we see it we own a nice chunk of the industry. In fact, an ideal situation would be a worker starting with Junior, moving on to Jackie or Father and finally finishing there career with me.

Interviewer: Sounds like an intellegent plan.

Sam: From what I understand, it was Junior's idea.

Rip: Yeah, he came to me after Kate got hired.

Masked: I realized we had a special situation, with at least Jack, Kate and I all knowing and liking each other.

Eisen: How else could the bookers of MAW, USPW and SWF gotten together.

Interviewer: And the owners gelled as well?

Rip chuckles

Rip: It took some convincing on my end...

Eisen: Mine too ...

Jack: However they both eventually realized how big an chance this was.

Eisen: I wasn't about to let a personal issue come in the way of a better way to make money.

Interviewer: What do you six say about the future.

Rip: Very, very bright for MAW.

Masked: Yeah, while our goal is only to remain alive while training the youth, we know we got some support.

Jack: And we know we got a breeding ground, for those not ready for Rhode Island.

Eisen: SWF is on the cusp of a global company, so expect some big tours soon.

Sam: And the sky's the limit for the little company that could, USPW.

Kate: Yeah, the sky's the limit for all of us really...

New Dynasty

Hi. My name is Jack Anderson. Son of Cliff Anderson. I was recently training to be a wrestler with my best friend Remmy Skye. And it was that fateful January 6th morning that made me the owner of CZCW.

It was 6:07 AM and my phone was ringing.

Me: Hello?

Voice: Jack? Its Remmy.

Jack: Hey Rem. What's the matter?

Remmy: Dude. Look on Yahoo.

Jack: Holy ****.

Right there on the front page of my laptop it read, "Huge Plane Crash. All Passengers Killed."

Jack: But Rem...What does that have to do with us?

Remmy: Your dad, Jack. He was on the plane. He died.

I couldn't help it. Tears started rolling down my cheeks.

Remmy: Jack. I know this a hard time for you...but your dad wanted you to take over the company.

Jack: Are...You...kidding?

I said fighting away the tears.

Jack: I can't run a company!? Ask Pee-Wee (Germaine)! Ask Dylan (Sidle)! But me!?

Remmy: I know it's a hard job. But we'll all work together. Coastal Zone doesn't deserve to die. That's not what your dad would've wanted. Do it for him.

There was a long silence.

Jack: Ok. After his funeral.

At 22 years old. I was actually the owner of CZCW.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/trackersan/TEW%20Photos/CliffAnderson.jpg

RIP 1952-2009

http://C

An idea i've been kicking around.

CZCW becomes a Zoo! Fire or repackage everybody who doesn't have an animal name and run a big menagerie.

So currently you'd keep:

Black Eagle

Flying Jimmy Foxx

Fox Mask

Jeremiah Moose

Masked Cougar

Matt Sparrow

"The Dragon" Mikey James

Snap Dragon

Ultimate Phoenix

(9)

Getting rid of:

Al Coleman

Donnie J

Frankie Perez (not very hard considering he gets snatched up quickly)

Insane Machine

Jackpot Jordan

Jake Idol

James Prudence

Marc Speed

Remmy Skye

The American Flash

(10)

And Hiring:

Air Attack Weasel

Amo Del Gato

Bull Wrecker

Canadian Dragon

Coyote Dynamite

Dragon Americano

Dragon Del Arco Iris Jr.

Grease Hogg

Hell Monkey

Inky the Squid Boy

Jumbo Jackson (as Jumbo Shrimp)

The Cannonball Kid (as Calamari Kid)

King Kong Kennedy

Lion Heart

Mad Dog Mortimer

Mexican Beast

Ox Kreviazuk

Panda Mask II

Rhino Umaga

Sammy The Shark

"The Lone Wolf" Shawn Gonzalez

Silver Shark

Spanish Superfly

Stretch the Chicken Boy

"The Cheeky Monkey" Matty Phatty

The Tic

The Wolverine

Tigre Salvaje Jr.

T-Rex

UK Dragon

Cheetah Boy (would have to take off development contract)

Flemmy Lemming (again on development contract)

(30/32)

So yeah, have an entire roster of animals. It can either be wrestlecrap or just taken as a coincidence.

I believe Tiger Ryland would have to be the new owner, and Tuna the Mighty Space Force Patriotic Announcer of Violent Wrathful Love would be the commish :D

edit: If this isn't wrestlecrap I don't know what is.

I think Tiger Ryland should be the user alt!

• 2 weeks later...

[There is a scene of tall, tough-looking muscular man driving a car to T. F. Green Airport in Warwick Rhode Island.]

[The car stops at a car waiting area.]

[A woman knocks on the door.]

Man: “You’ve been waiting long?”

[The Woman speaks with a British Accent.]

Woman: “Only about an hour or so. Got something to eat. Wasn’t too good, though.”

Man: “Airport food is never good. If you have “food shock”, just let me know. I’ll help out the best I can.”

Woman: “Thanks for the offer.”

[The man helps the woman load her luggage into the trunk of the car. He gets back into the driver seat. She gets into the passenger seat to the right.]

Man: “You want to get something else to eat?”

Woman: “No, I’m full.”

Man: “Do you want me to drop you off Pawtucket? You could unpack and take the day off. The boss said it was fine.”

Woman: “No, I actually had good sleep on the plane.”

[The woman’s gentle expression becomes a bit stiffer.]

Woman: "How’s the situation?”

[The man remains silent for a while.]

Man: “…Chaotic. Anyway, would rather go than to Cranston instead? It might be good idea, considering the boss is thinking about sending you down there to help train others. There’s a lot of them that need work.”

Woman: "Can we go straight to Providence?”

Man: “…Sure.”

[The man starts the car. He gets out of the car waiting area in the airport, and gets the highway to head towards Providence.]

Date: January 2007

[There is an office. It looks professional, but is quite small, assuming, and barebones.]

[A bald man sits in a chair. He has glasses. He has a plaque on his desk. It reads, “Mycroft Nero: Owner of Rhode Island Wrestling.”]

[There is a knock on the door.]

[Professor Nero speaks with a noticeable Texan accent.]

Professor Nero: Come in! Come in! I’ve wanted to talk with you boy!”

[Nero says “boy” in a friendly manner.]

[The tall, tough-looking muscular man opens the door, and sits down on the chair. The man is noticeably big and muscular, but lean, yet not skinny. He looks in the best shape of his life. He looks a bit frightening, but handsome at the time. He looks a bit big for the chair.]

Man: “Is there something you want to discuss with me, sir?”

Nero: “Indeed I do. Your short-term contract is going to run out in a month. You’ve been with us for two months now. It’s a good time as any to discuss your employment.”

Man: “…and?”

[Nero smiles.]

Nero: “Ha-ha! Boy, your time behind the booth has me impressed! Your announcing and color commentary skills are phenomenal! Jerry Eisen can learn a thing or two from you, boy!”

Man: “Thank you, Mr. Nero.”

Nero: “I noticed you work out a lot, boy. You are good at entertaining the crowd. You ever think about being a professional wrestler?”

[The man looks like he’s thinking for a moment.]

Man: “Sir, I have to say that not be interested in being a professional wrestler.”

[Nero’s still smiling, but looks like he’s weighing his words.]

Nero: “…I see. That’s a shame. I think you have the looks and the potential skills for it, boy, but I respect your decision.”

[Nero says it with genuine respect.]

Man: “And the future of my employment…?”

Nero: “Boy, I want to have a more formal agreement with you. Nothing is going to be on paper, but something less short term. I can’t pay you more right now, but I can offer to pay your travel expenses, and a percentage of the merchandise. I’m open to a Pay-Per-View bonus if you want, but I doubt we will ever get to that point. You are probably going to be a third Announcer or Color Commentator, which ever is required of the show. You are definitely going to be a backup. IF not that, you are probably interviewing someone backstage.”

Man: “That’s fine with me.”

Nero: “…maybe even a manager.”

[The man thinks for a moment.]

Man: “Let’s leave that for last.”

Nero: “Sure, sure. But I have something to else to ask of you, boy. I like your ideas, boy. You have been helping me on and off in booking, like coming up with ideas, organizing the booking, and even writing. You want to be the Head Booker of RIPW?”

[The man looks visibly shocked.]

Man: “I…I don’t know what to say. I… um…”

Nero: “You don’t have to answer right now. We can discuss that separately from the employment contract, if you want.”

Man: “That…may be a good idea.”

Nero: “Okay. Now let’s get to the formalities, for your pay per appearance, it shall be-”

[There is a sudden interruption from the phone. A woman’s voice comes up. It’s Professor Nero’s secretary.]

Secretary: “Mr. Nero, line 1 has a call waiting for you.”

[Nero sounds a bit annoyed, but remains patient.]

Nero: “Can you take the call, please? If you can’t, can you tell them to call back later?”

Secretary: “He wants to talk to you, Mr. Nero. It’s from the big boss.”

[Nero gives a look of puzzlement, and looks toward the man.]

Nero: “I’m really sorry about this. Can you wait just a moment?”

Man: “No problem, Mr. Nero. Do you want me to wait outside?”

Nero: “No, no, that won’t be necessary.”

[Nero picks up the phone. He begins talking.]

Nero: “Hello, this Mr. Nero… hi, Richard… yes, he’s doing quite well… yeah, I think he’s quite good behind the booth… you want to meet him today? I see what I can do. Goodbye.

[Nero hangs up the phone. He looks up at the man.]

Nero: “Boy, you want to head down to Providence with me?”

Man: “Why?”

Nero: “We have to meet the big boss.”

Man: “Richard Eisen?”

Nero: “Yes.”

Man: “Sure, I have no problem meeting Mr. Eisen, but what about the contract negotiations?”

Nero: “I don’t think we have to worry about that for right now. In fact, I don’t think we have to worry about that ever again.”

[scene closes with a zoom out.]

Reads like a script. Which is not a bad thing... So you're doing RIPW? Or SWF? Either way, enticing...

I've thinking about doing a diary for some time now. I won't be getting to any shows for a while (there are some things I've planned that aren't quite ready), but I want to get a head start in the Diary Previews thread to add the back story I'm going to do later on.

[There is an office. It looks professional, but is quite small, assuming, and barebones.]

[A bald man sits in a chair. He has glasses. He has a plaque on his desk. It reads, “Mycroft Nero: Owner of Rhode Island Wrestling.”]

[There is a knock on the door.]

[Professor Nero speaks with a noticeable Texan accent.]

Professor Nero: Come in! Come in! I’ve wanted to talk with you boy!”

[Nero says “boy” in a friendly manner.]

[The tall, tough-looking muscular man opens the door, and sits down on the chair. The man is noticeably big and muscular, but lean, yet not skinny. He looks in the best shape of his life. He looks a bit frightening, but handsome at the time. He looks a bit big for the chair.]

Man: “Is there something you want to discuss with me, sir?”

Nero: “Indeed I do. Your short-term contract is going to run out in a month. You’ve been with us for two months now. It’s a good time as any to discuss your employment.”

Man: “…and?”

[Nero smiles.]

Nero: “Ha-ha! Boy, your time behind the booth has me impressed! Your announcing and color commentary skills are phenomenal! Jerry Eisen can learn a thing or two from you, boy!”

Man: “Thank you, Mr. Nero.”

Nero: “I noticed you work out a lot, boy. You are good at entertaining the crowd. You ever think about being a professional wrestler?”

Man: “Sir, I have to say that not be interested in being a professional wrestler.”

[Nero’s still smiling, but looks like he’s weighing his words.]

Nero: “…I see. That’s a shame. I think you have the looks and the potential skills for it, boy, but I respect your decision.”

[Nero says it with genuine respect.]

Man: “And the future of my employment…?”

Nero: “Boy, I want to have a more formal agreement with you. Nothing is going to be on paper, but something less short term. I can’t pay you more right now, but I can offer to pay your travel expenses, and a percentage of the merchandise. I’m open to a Pay-Per-View bonus if you want, but I doubt we will ever get to that point. You are probably going to be a third Announcer or Color Commentator, which ever is required of the show. You are definitely going to be a backup. IF not that, you are probably interviewing someone backstage.”

Man: “That’s fine with me.”

Nero: “…maybe even a manager.”

[The man thinks for a moment.]

Man: “Let’s leave that for last.”

Nero: “Sure, sure. But I have something to else to ask of you, boy. I like your ideas, boy. You have been helping me on and off in booking, like coming up with ideas, organizing the booking, and even writing. You want to be the Head Booker of RIPW?”

[The man looks visibly shocked.]

Man: “I…I don’t know what to say. I… um…”

Nero: “You don’t have to answer right now. We can discuss that separately from the employment contract, if you want.”

Man: “That…may be a good idea.”

Nero: “Okay. Now let’s get to the formalities, for your pay per appearance, it shall be-”

[There is a sudden interruption from the phone. A woman’s voice comes up. It’s Professor Nero’s secretary.]

Secretary: “Mr. Nero, line 1 has a call waiting for you.”

[Nero sounds a bit annoyed, but remains patient.]

Nero: “Can you take the call, please? If you can’t, can you tell them to call back later?”

Secretary: “He wants to talk to you, Mr. Nero. It’s from the big boss.”

[Nero gives a look of puzzlement, and looks toward the man.]

Nero: “I’m really sorry about this. Can you wait just a moment?”

Man: “No problem, Mr. Nero. Do you want me to wait outside?”

Nero: “No, no, that won’t be necessary.”

[Nero picks up the phone. He begins talking.]

Nero: “Hello, this Mr. Nero… hi, Richard… yes, he’s doing quite well… yeah, I think he’s quite good behind the booth… you want to meet him today? I see what I can do. Goodbye.

[Nero hangs up the phone. He looks up at the man.]

Nero: “Boy, you want to head down to Providence with me?”

Man: “Why?”

Nero: “We have to meet the big boss.”

Man: “Richard Eisen?”

Nero: “Yes.”

Man: “Sure, I have no problem meeting Mr. Eisen, but what about the contract negotiations?”

Nero: “I don’t think we have to worry about that for right now. In fact, I don’t think we have to worry about that ever again.”

[scene closes with a zoom out.]

My advice would be to give some extra attention to brekaing it up so it's easy to read. Either by bolding names, or putting line-breaks in between somewhere, to give readers a "save-point" as such, something they can easily come back to if they get lost or need to stop reading for any reason.

My advice would be to give some extra attention to brekaing it up so it's easy to read. Either by bolding names, or putting line-breaks in between somewhere, to give readers a "save-point" as such, something they can easily come back to if they get lost or need to stop reading for any reason.

I'm going to do that right now (adding emphasis). I'll think about the line-breaks.

Edit: Wow, it DOES look better. I'll think about the line breaks later on.

As some of you know from the number of times I've stated it in other threads, my NYCW '97 diary was put on the shelf due to burnout, but was ultimately ended when I stupidly deleted a large portion of the results (like 12 shows worth) when I transfered them from one computer to another. This lead to the hastened creation of my RPW diary, a diary that I am currently struggling to keep interest in.

However, I still have the NYCW '97 save and after like 5 months of not even looking at the thing have finally decided to go through the save and see if I can at least figure out the storylines that I had going to start playing it again. If I am successful I will most likely bring the diary back.

Is this something that you guys would be interested in and if so where do I start? Should I try and continue from where it left off in May or where I would pick up (the beginning of 1998)? And finally should I start a new thread or just use the old thread?

The rise to Cult presented severe cash flow problems for Ring Of Fire with the future of the promotion looking in trouble until a third party approached British Samurai with a proposal from a mystery investor to buy him out.

Seemingly having no choice, Samurai agreed to sell all but a small percentage of the company on the condition that he had a job for life and The Grand Avatar was kept on as head booker. The deal was agreed and signed in March 2014 and the investor made a substantial cash injection to provide ROF with the capital to soften the financial burden.

This didn't go quite to plan as the money dwindled extremely quickly and forced another cash injection in February 2015. There was a difference this time with the investor demanding a new direction within the promotion away from being totally about the action inside the ring.

The Grand Plan

Key Feature: Modern and Traditional

Medium: Lucha Libre and Mainstream

Low: Daredevil, Pure and Realism

Match Ratio: 80%

Match Intensity: 60%

Match Danger: 70%

Women's Wrestling: Division

T&A Levels: Low

Face \ Heel Divide: Medium

...will mean wrestlers are rated equally on performance and popularity.

...will attract fans who will not like highly risky gimmicks.

...will attract fans who will not 'get' subtle gimmicks.

...will attract fans whol will be put off by highly risky angles.

...is quite favourable towards getting sponsorship.

...will allow ROF to be not be rocked by wrestling industry changes.

...will mean that the 'young lion' system will not be taken into account at any time.

The change was met by derision from various wrestling journalists as the final nail in the coffin for ROF and many speculated that the mystery investor was in fact Jeff Nova expensively destroying the competition.

British Samurai was reported to be furious about the changes but with having only a small shareholding, there wasn't much he could do about it if he wanted to stay employed.

Going into 2016 having put on 200 shows in eight years, ROF look to be risking it all to firmly establish themselves in the UK and across the wrestling world.

Will the risk pay off by attracting new fans and keeping hold of the current ones or will the investor lose patience and cut their losses by consigning ROF to the history books for good?

Trying to come up with a way to explain the couple of times I had to "help" out my finances with ROF, what do people think of this?

I need to find a way to explain the financial help and then incorporate it into a storyline with the mystery investor being revealed eventually.

Main Entry: butterfly effect

Function: noun

Date: 1984

1. a property of chaotic systems (as the atmosphere) by which small changes in initial conditions can lead to large-scale and unpredictable variation in the future state of the system

— ORIGIN from the notion that a butterfly fluttering in Rio de Janeiro could change the weather in Chicago.

In the world of wrestling there are always questions of "what if." What if Sam Strong or Rip Chord had a career ending injury in 1975? What if the Stones and DeColts worked together to keep CWF together instead of starting up two separate companies? What if J.K. Stallings Jr. never decided to open Hollyweird Grappling Company? However, the biggest talking point as of last has got to be, what would have happened if DAVE never won the East Coast Wars? Taking a look at history it could be said that the war was won from one match, a match that wasn't even fought in a DAVE ring.

#5: Nemesis vs. Tommy Cornell (February 1997, Supreme Assault TV)

For one of the most influential matches ever held, this was very low profile. Held in 1997 on SWF's weekly "Supreme Assault" TV show, the match was not even announced as taking place until that very night. Nemesis was one of the hottest heels in the promotion at this time, and was being groomed for a main event run against world champion Christian Faith. Tommy Cornell was a young babyface rookie who was seen as having potential, but hadn't been given much to do other than defeat expendable midcard heels. The match was put together simply to give the two wrestlers something to do, as the main focus of the show was on a main event battle royal that neither was involved in.

What followed was by far the most violent fifteen minutes that SWF had ever seen. After brawling for a few minutes in the ring, the two wrestlers spilled to the outside, where they proceeded to brawl with incredible intensity up the aisle, across the sound stage, through the crowd, and back to the ring. By the time they reached the ring, both men were bleeding heavily from being hit with weapons, with Nemesis in particular virtually unrecognizable thanks to the amount of blood covering his face and upper body. After smacking Cornell with a vicious chair shot to the head, Nemesis ended the carnage by power bombing the youngster through a ringside table, and dragging him back in for the win.

While the match was a superbly intense brawl, and a great match in its own right, it was the shockwaves that it caused that make it so famous. Used to seeing family-friendly entertainment, both the network and SWF were bombarded with complaints from irate viewers, while at the same time a large number of fans who were growing tired of the slow-paced matches that were usually presented to them were ecstatic, wanting SWF to present more of this new extreme style. SWF owner Richard Eisen was furious at the trouble this match had caused, especially as he had not been consulted about it beforehand, and it was long-standing company policy that matches could not have blood or excessive violence without his personal clearance. Nemesis was fired straight after the match after a huge backstage argument; he joined small East Coast promotion DAVE two months later, and almost single handedly turned them into a major player in the US by basing the entire product on a bloody, extreme style. Cornell was punished by being dropped into a bland opening match tag team with Phillip Roberts; he left six months later to join SWF's major rivals HGC. Seven years later he would be the owner of that promotion. As a result of the match, SWF became even more conservative, which helped them keep their lucrative TV show. This would last several years before they had to become more edgy to survive, and this type of extreme match is now a staple of the promotion.

Excerpt from "The Top 10 Matches Of All Time" by Ryan Jalda, GrappleFanatics.net , (June 2005)

As Ryan Jalda states, the match would lead to both Tommy Cornell and Nemesis leading SWF for HGC and DAVE respectively, changing the fortunes of both companies for the better. Tommy would because HGC's rock, propelling them into a National company that would be able to compete with SWF for years to come. And Nemesis almost single handedly put an end to the East Coast Wars with DAVE being the victor. Which leads to us back to the question, if Nemesis/Cornell never happens in February of 1997, who would have won the East Coast War?

Some argue in the case of DAVE because Nemesis or not, it seem like Vibert and company had a product that people just wanted to see. Others say that without Nemesis, XFW would have gotten the credit it deserves for being the "real king of hardcore." There is also a feeling that if the war became a one of attrition, then the winner would have been the family friendly (aka sponsor friendly) RPW. Of course, having Brent Hill and Steve Flash probably plays a big part in those people's minds as well. Finally, there is few people that believe the old school style of PPPW would have won out in the end.

However, I think the real winner of the war would have been the company nobody even thinks of being in the war, New York City Wrestling. By staying out of the war NYCW could have been had one huge advantage that the other companies wouldn't have had, a talent pool. While DAVE, PPPW, XFW, and RPW refused to let their talent be used on each others shows, they all allowed their talent to wrestle at NYCW events. If Nemesis doesn't enter the scene, who doesn't say that NYCW couldn't abuse their unique situation and become the top East Coast promotion? I guess we'll never know.

Or will we?

*10 months later*

Main Entry: manifest destiny

Function: noun

Date:1845

1. a future event accepted as inevitable**;*

2. broadly*:*an ostensibly benevolent or necessary policy of imperialistic expansion

Manifest Destiny. This term has been used in the past to define many things, but in the wrestling world generally the term has been used to describe one man, Richard Eisen. Founding SWF in January of 1972, Mr. Eisen systematically took over the wrestling world with his vision of pro wrestling as "sports entertainment." Richard turned a wrestling from a infantile niche market into mainstream media and his SWF into a Global powerhouse. However, like just like the US's western expansion in the mid-1800s there were causalities. Powerhouses like the American Pro Wrestling Federation, Texas Wrestling League, and All American Florida Wrestling all fell to the might of the machine that was the SWF. This isn't really that surprising on it's own as there are many example of companies putting it's competition out of business. However, what is impressive about this particular example was how massive and final this process was. No company was safe. West Coast titan, California Pro Wrestling? Gone. New England's beloved Championship Wrestling from Boston? Gone. Niche products such as American Independent Circuit Wrestling, Welcome to the Islands Wrestling, and Harlem Wrestling Alliance? Gone. Gone. Gone. Even SWF's first ever "child promotion," Chicago Championship Wrestling, wasn't spared in culling.

But like everything, time moves on. In the wake of the destruction of wrestling as the people in the late 70s and early 80s knew it, new promotion would rise up to fill the gap. Companies like NYCW and PPPW sprang up following in the footsteps of the great Gene Plumelli, while others like DAVE and XFW went in a new, hardcore direction that more mirrored Texas Wrestling League and Harlem Wrestling Alliance. And still there were some that went in a direction that no one in America had seen before. Sister promotions, RPW and CZCW both built products around smaller workers, taking influences from both Japan and Mexico, while Anne Stardust started up America's only all female promotion. However, the biggest addition to America's wrestling scene would also been it's latest addition as teenage billionaire, J.K. Stallings, used his fortunes to create a promotion that would rival SWF, Hollyweird Grappling Company.

As 1997 winds down, one thing is certain, these times they are a changin'.

Fool Inc. Productions Proudly Presents…

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a288/foolinc/NYCW/NYCW_alt.jpg

NYCW: Manifest Destiny

Here is a little sample from what I plan to start later today if all goes well.

It's WEF from the GDS-Verse, the only game that features me as a playable character!

The User Character is Adam Ryland himself, so this is a very GDS-esque typical angle.

(Adam Ryland enters to a big pyro display, the size of which is paled in comparison to the High School Hall in which this WEF event is being held in. The fans cheer him, almost as they have been hypnotised by some programming wizadry...)

Adam Ryland: Thank you fans, for this introduction, and I'm sure you all know about the GDS acquisition of WEF. As we reported on our website, along with our freeware release of TEW 2005

We felt that it is necessary for our business, to study and control an actual wrestling company, so here I am. And also, to keep an eye on the so-called "GDS"-verse

And you fans, what you don't know is that you are currently participating in a new experimental angle system that looks set to be a feature of TEW 2010.

A game which reviewer Bull Shoot said "will truly revolutionise the way you look at the mechanical processes of coding applied to a wrestling booker simulator with the added effect of management on a micro-level"!

You fans have truly been blessed by my presence, although the bug which makes you overbuy on merchandise will *ahem* not be fixed in the near future...

BLAM!

(A worker with an orange mask emerges from the back, and stands at the entrance ramp...)

The Masked Orange:Yeah right Adam, like you would want to help these fans, you can't even code in an umbrella system for Companies such as the preexisting NWA which freely allows the movement and co-op booking between several major promotions!

Are these what these fans mean to you?

Having to get by on a series of working agreements, which at best allow a limited movement of talent for a limited time?

And why have you banned the resale of your products on your companies website?

Because you don't care about these fans, you care about a profit!

Adam Ryland: Listen to what you just said:

And why have you banned the resale of your products on your companies website?

In effect you're asking me to willingly lose out on money because people have buyers remorse, it's the same principle as Nintendo willingly letting people sell their Wii's on the Nintendo website because they got bored of them.

If people can't appreciate the dedication I've put into the games, and take note of the complexity of the actual match simulations, then tough!

The Masked Orange: See? You just have such a large ego that you've entirely forgotten what this entire process is all about.

The fun of making a good simulator from scratch!

Remember EWR? It was free, it was great, sure it wasn't as good as TEW but it was fun, you download it, and three minutes later you've booked an A* Main Event for Wrestlemania, don't you want to want to return to the old days?

Adam Ryland: Back then I was working in my free time, and not making a dime for it. This way we have the compromise, I make money so you get better games, can't you see that I am in fact a creator?

And in that effect I have created universe after universe of complex codes and humorous worker biographies. Can't you see that what I am doing, is in effect a computing revolution?

I am Adam Ryland, Master of the text-based simulator, Overlord of the Cornellverse, Destroyer of Runtime Error: 65!

The Masked Orange: Fine then, but let me ask you something, do you really think a game like yours could make the transition to a console-based platform?

(The Masked Orange walks away dramatically, leaving Adam Ryland in silence, until he eventually leaves the ring, and goes to the back, of his locker room, to face his brand new roster...

EDIT: this is not how I feel about TEW, it's just this angle needed some kick in it.

Archived