Diary Preview Thread

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a bad time to start a diary considering that TEW2010 will come out sooner than later but if I've been thinking of a couple of ideas for a 2010 diary:

1. One of my top choices is to do a GCG diary in which a combination of American wrestlers trying to take over and change the world of Japanese puroresu style wrestling. I'll probably try more something what FIN did in his GCG diary.

2. I believe that the only MAW diary that became really successful was shipshirt's and James Casey's diaries so I'm thinking of starting but as well it could be pretty hard to pull off the scam.

3. FCW? Puerto Rico? Tigerkinney put out a good diary about a Puerto Rican adventure and I started reading during the weekend, inspired me to start a good game so I might count on that.

Despite everything it sucks to pause XFW but I'm not giving up on that one and when 2010 comes out, I'll be back on the writing business :)!

Jumping in here with a preview for a diary I'm strongly considering starting when '10 gets released.

This would be an early scene, so make of it what you will...

I was awakened from my reverie by yelling from down the hall. This in itself wasn’t uncommon. Richard liked to conduct his meetings at top volume sometimes, especially if passions were running high. It was important to listen to the tone of the shouting – a pleased Richard Eisen got overexcited and mangled his words a little. Backstage, Rich Money was known to a select few as Runny after Richard accidentally portmanteau’d his name when he got worked up about a potential angle.

On the other hand, an angry Richard became cold and clinical behind the bluster. He knew exactly what he was saying, and his sentences became harsh and clipped. Unbeknownst to Richard, Eric had started printing t-shirts that were handed out to those who’d survived their first chewing out by Richard. It was a sign of progress – that you’d risen far enough in the pecking order that he noticed you.

I got mine after four years in the job. My first conversation with Richard Eisen degenerated into a slanging match about the direction of the North American title, and whether Richard’s favoured prospect had any chance of succeeding as a champion.

I stood my ground, and kept my voice relatively quiet, although I barked at Richard a couple of times. I lost the argument – it’s his company, after all – but I noticed that Richard paid a bit more attention to me afterwards, and even took notice of what I had to say. Coincidence or not, my paychecks began to pick up after that event as well.

This current argument, though, was two-way. Most people knew to keep their cool with Richard when he was ranting. To do otherwise was to risk prolonging the argument, and even to risk making Richard focus on exactly what you brought to the table.

More than one person had lost their job that way, with Richard unhappy about what they were contributing. But the round table meetings meant that very few people could claim authorship of any idea in its entirety. A lot of people contributed, and ideas got pulled in all directions. The best ideas men threw things out constantly, and then the rest of the group ran with it, destruct-testing to see where it could go, who could get involved, what might happen if...

The argument was still going on. For once, Richard was being out-shouted, and I winced. I knew exactly who was in there: Peter.

One Last Go:

Journal Entry #85

December 30, 1997

"This Piece of Wrestlecrap Again?"

Yeah I've seen what happened out there. Face it. WCW will never win against the new World order. Sting won!! The crowd goes loud, Sting won! WCW oriented superstars comes out of the backstage area to celebrate with Sting at Starrcade 1997 as Sting just defeated Hollywood Hulk Hogan. Would they really do this? Eric Bischoff would have spent more money on a private plane for him and Turner to share more than putting the title belt on Sting. It's kind of sad that the next thing you are going to know, the impossible just happened.

And yet I question the creative ideas that WCW pulls off these nowadays. And adding to that is the fact that Eric is trying to hit the final nail in the coffin. He's trying to hit that nail to finally close that coffin that will anger Vince McMahon. The coffin closing to not the flaming anger come out of McMahon. This is just good business in my opinion. Final nail in the coffin.

So now Bret Hart comes to WCW. Holy sh*t. I guess it just takes us back to the end of November 1997. Vince McMahon pulls the final nail in the coffin on Bret Hart. He pulls the biggest embarrassing moment for Bret Hart. The Montreal Screwjob.

I've heard that Bret Hart had a lot of tension with a lot of wrestlers of that time period. Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Shawn Michaels, and hell even Vince McMahon himself. This guy made a lot of enemies and he realized it. But Vince and Bret were cool back then. This guy Vince puts the belt on Bret a couple of times and there it is money. Ratings. But they are getting overtaken. How are they going to get back the ratings against WCW? Create more controversy. Bret Hart and his men (The Hart Foundation) were put on an angle where they started Anti American promos and even put the heat between him and Shawn Michaels in a much higher level. The formation of D-generation X and their feud with Hart Foundation got a lot of money but the ratings still crashed on them.

And the same time period that Hart Foundation and D-Generation X were feuding, the new World order is born. The nWO. Eric Bischoff's best success. Starting with the Outsiders, Bischoff pulled a hell of a controversial script for both Nash and Hall being the WWF invaders and how they are going to take over WCW. Original? Not really. It wasn't hard to find out that Bischoff got this angle somewhere in Japan. He modified the angle to his view and now the fact Nash and Hall heavily hyped the mystery member, it turned out to be Hulk Hogan.

This nWo made money. As I suppose. As I think it would be. That created a whole new direction for WCW. Ratings going up higher and higher and higher and higher until the WWF cannot beat them in the ratings and completely just take him out piece by piece.

And now onto the Montreal Screwjob. First off, Bret Hart signs that 20 year extension on the WWF. But he wanted more money. Vince was on the verge of financial recession and thus he has to let go of Bret. After WCW made the offer, Bret hit the paper with that pen and signed that contract.

Bret had the WWF Championship at that time. He had his choices of losing the title at Survivor Series but Vince wanted to go on the best option he could use, well at least for his view of what will happen. Survivor Series, Bret Hart to defend that WWF Championship against Shawn Michaels at Canada.

This was no escape choice. Bret and Vince agreed that he could not lose in Canada, his hometown. Don't trust Vince, he can screw a lot of people and that's what he did to Bret. He had no choice but to lose. Did he had to accept that fact? He couldn't. So the match comes in, Earl Hebner, the referee "just rang the bell" as an order from Vince McMahon.

Damn. Bret just got screwed. Pissed off, this guy just got pissed off at Vince. Controversy created once more.

nWo pulled out Bret Hart coming to WCW angle after the Screwjob. So he did. Now Sting and Hogan gets hyped up. Starrcade 1997, Hogan wins. Well at first but that is not until Bret Hart had to step up! "This ain't happening again?" Really? Bret can't get over it can't he? One month, hell Bret, Vince, Eric, WWF, WCW, these things were circled around with controversy. Internet news sites coming in with rumors. Possibly we won't see this again won't we? Or will we?

I don't see WCW was responsible for that angle but the fact that Bret wanted to do this? Eric Bischoff had to do something similar to what Madusa Micelli did years back on her early WCW days from the WWF. Was this his way?

Was this really the final nail in the coffin or the start of the real war?

• 2 weeks later...
So I had an idea but not sure how viable it is or whether people would be interested. Basically its a relay diary. Somebody starts a game using whatever mod and writes the first show. They then pass the results of the second show onto somebody else who the writes the second show and so on. Perhaps it could be a watcher type diary to avoid any booking arguements. I think it would be a great community project and would showcase the wide range of styles of writing we have. No two shows would be the same. Plus nobody has to commit beyond one show. Id be more than happy to start the ball rolling and do the majority of legwork but only if there is a genuine interest from at least five or more of you. Let me know what you guys think!

After watching the Rise and Fall of WCW DVD, a statement by Chris Jericho really excited my imagination. He said that if he had known what Vince was paying for WCW, he would have bought it himself. Imagine a WCW owned by Chris Jericho. Sure, it would likely be a cult promotion, but the roster and the direction he would take it in would be interesting, to say the least.

Cruiserweights, luchadores, and puro guys would be welcome and the overall direction of the company would make for an interesting counterpoint to the Fed. The Invasion never happens. Man, that sounds like an interesting world to play in, don't you think?

Ok, I'm really trying to get back into dynasty writing, but my writings been so bleh lately. Add that to the fact that my NYCW game ended and I'm now playing SWF I'm left in quiet a pickle. Should I try a dynasty again, and share the story, or not.

I know, ranting, sorry. Just trying to determine if I have the motivation to get this off the ground.

Anyway, to the point of this post, would anyone be awesome and volunteer to look over my storylines and tell me if it has the 'all been done before' feel I think it does.

Astil, the thing is... I'm pretty sure 99% of the stuff put up here has been done before. Likewise, most of the stuff in the professional promotions of today have probably been done before. Or if not, the framework has been novelised. It's a very difficult concept.

The only two recommendations I can make is; firstly, book six months in TEW. If you love it, write it. If not, you've at least had a good lot of fun in the game I'd suspect. Secondly, plan out a year to a major event, what do you want your major event to look like, who do you want to go over, and how do you intend to make it believable to go over (IE what storyline hurdles does each character need to go over). I see a lot of diaries that start up with a real quick hook and bait, like a major turn, or a shock promotion organisational change, or three or four quality roster purchases. I find most of those diaries tend not to last, because they've told us everything they wanted straight up and find it difficult to duplicate. I may be talking nonsense... it's just my feel of the situation.

For the record, you're a quality bloke from our albeit too brief interactions, and personally I found your writing and booking in Tuesday Night War really really good. I'd be happy to listen to your ideas if it helped kindle your creative fire, although I have a relatively small understanding of the CV.

===============

Karl Kitsch, it is a great day for me when I learn something new about WCW. I did not know of Jericho's comment, haven't seen Rise and Fall of WCW. I'd say that would be quite interesting. Jericho is wicked, I'd love to see him book his feud with Goldberg how he had intended it to go. I loved the build up and then hated the inevitable non execution of his ideas. For a lot of 1998, he was my go to guy to tune and watch what was quickly becoming a rabble because he made me laugh, and then after making me laugh and riling up an opponent, usually stole the show. The wise men in the box under instruction kept talking up Hogan, but Jericho in 1998 was fast becoming the man, but the only ones who were the fans and the WWF. I'm glad Jericho's career took off in the WWF, sad it didn't happen the way it should have in WCW. I kinda feel he would be quite a good booker, he just seems to have such a wicked character who seems to always be a part of good quality storylines. To me, he "gets" what the crowd is after.

After watching all three discs of Lionheart: the Best of Chris Jericho, I realized that Jericho might actually be the best wrestler of the Attitude and Modern eras. He might not have been the most over, though his introduction to the WWE was huge, as was the night he beat Hunter for the title. Not only is Chris fantastic on the microphone, he can be great as a face or a heel. His matches are always topnotch. Heck, he was entertaining with John Cena, which was not an easy feat when their feud started.

The thing that puts him over the top, for me, is that he survived the Attitude era with his health intact. He worked some seriously violent matches, like the great ladder match with Benoit, but he came out with two good knees and a solid neck. Be it a combination of luck, genetics, and conditioning, I think a fair amount of credit goes to the man himself.

All of that being said, I think a Jericho owned and operated WCW would have been fantastic.

99% of stuff has been done before, that's true, so you shouldn't be bummed out if your work isn't totally unique. However, there is a lot of stuff that I see in 87% of diaries nowadays, and it's those cliches you've got to watch out for. Heel authority figures. nWo-like stables. Suited Heels. The Dirty White Boys. The list goes on and on.

By all means, a few cliches don't hurt. As long as you've got a couple of fresh or unique elements or characters, you'll be fine.

99% of stuff has been done before, that's true, so you shouldn't be bummed out if your work isn't totally unique. However, there is a lot of stuff that I see in 87% of diaries nowadays, and it's those cliches you've got to watch out for. Heel authority figures. nWo-like stables. Suited Heels. The Dirty White Boys. The list goes on and on.

By all means, a few cliches don't hurt. As long as you've got a couple of fresh or unique elements or characters, you'll be fine.

Well there goes my rebels in suits heel authority stable with DWB as the muscle. Damn. :p

I'm gonna start up a new diary using the Grey Dog Syndicate from the 9000-verse. This time i have a plan though.

It's going to have a definitive start and end, and i'm going to write it all up beforehand (and run the matches in-game only as I need to post up). Yes, this may require some fudging of data if anyone gets injured or stolen away, but dammit I'm going to make certain I've got my story air-tight and all the hard work done before I commit to a diary this time around.

I'm gonna start up a new diary using the Grey Dog Syndicate from the 9000-verse. This time i have a plan though.

It's going to have a definitive start and end, and i'm going to write it all up beforehand (and run the matches in-game only as I need to post up). Yes, this may require some fudging of data if anyone gets injured or stolen away, but dammit I'm going to make certain I've got my story air-tight and all the hard work done before I commit to a diary this time around.

and then your going to bring back jonny awesome....right?!?! :p

• 1 month later...

A further teaser for my next piece - and I swear I wasn't consciously thinking of Phantom Stranger and NoNeck when I came up with this concept.

That said, I'd struggle a bit without their work to steal from :p

JNC is John "Nemesis" Campbell. PWH is Pro Wrestling Hits.

For the first time one of the biggest stars of the last twenty years is looking back over his storied career as he becomes the first in a series of wrestling stars to try and answer the question: Who is Richard Eisen?

JNC: I couldn’t do what I wanted to in SWF – no blood, no bad language, couldn’t even be seen drinking a ----ing beer on screen. Supreme was a family show back then. I was over, but I wasn’t me, and that’s not what was supposed to happen.

PWH: But... You must have known that when you signed with the company.

JNC: Sure, but Eisen told me that things were changing. He said that we were going to get a bit more real, and he wanted me to be the leader.

PWH: What happened?

JNC: The Hype. ----ing kid.

(Nemesis stares off into the distance, before snapping to.)

JNC: February 1997. Todd Cusson shows up at a TV taping. He was far gone, but lucid. Didn’t know what he was talking about, didn’t know who anyone was... ---- like that is why Eisen canned him. Anyway, a couple of people tried to look after him, but as the show’s going on there’s this ruckus and...

(Nemesis pauses again.)

JNC: Everyone starts running to this little side room they’d stashed Hype in. Turns out the dumb kid wasn’t just high, he was determined to get higher. Hell, I don’t understand that ----. But he ODd. I remember Eric Eisen that night most of all. He thought Cusson was the ----, and he stood there next to his dad as the doc tried to resuscitate him.

(Another pause)

JNC: ----ing kid... Anyway, after that wrestling was the ----ing black sheep of the entire world. More than it had been, I mean. A kid like Hype ODs? And everyone and their brother comes out and says that he was doing that ---- because he was being held back in Supreme before he got fired? Just another sign that wrestling was this ----ed up, worthless show with fat old men faking fighting in their jockey shorts.

PWH: And was he? Being held back, I mean?

JNC: ---- no! He was a kid, what, twenty-two years old? What had he done to deserve a push? You have to put in your time! Besides, can you imagine how bad it would have looked if Hype had ODd if he was a champion?

There's more, of course - including what I think is a killer opening line. Of course, any interview with Nemesis is going to test the swear filter a bit, but I think you get the gist of what he's saying.

Full credit to derek_b, of course, for creating Todd Cusson - and for Phantom Stranger for the idea of him being such a key part of CV history...

Archived