Sting to WWE?

UkWrestleFan

Just been browsing Rajah.com at work and came across this;

Enter the world known as WWE.

Here's your ringside seat. DIRECTV Pay Per View delivers the force, fury and finishing moves of superstars like Triple H, Batista, Matt Hardy, The Big Show, Randy Orton, and Sting. Catch the best of the up-and-coming contenders.

A mistake, surely?

http://rajah.com/base/node/17079

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad. I'd like to see Sting get at least one good stint in 'The E' before he retires, just so we could get that big Sting - Undertaker match you always hear people talk about, and so I (presumably) would get a pretty good Sting dvd with a lot of his WCW matches on it.

Doubt it'll ever happen though.

The DVD will happen when he gets in the HOF, you can forget about the match though.

Thing is though, isn't the whole reason Sting has never worked for the WWE is the heavy schedule? It'd be pretty cool if Vince brought him in on a lighter schedule for a couple of months to setup a 'Taker vs Sting match at the next Wrestlemania?

He probably won't 'cos he's the boss and won't want any worker dictating their own contract but it would be brilliant.

Thing is though, isn't the whole reason Sting has never worked for the WWE is the heavy schedule? It'd be pretty cool if Vince brought him in on a lighter schedule for a couple of months to setup a 'Taker vs Sting match at the next Wrestlemania?

He probably won't 'cos he's the boss and won't want any worker dictating their own contract but it would be brilliant.

I also heard that he did not like the risky product that the WWE is known for.

I also heard that he did not like the risky product that the WWE is known for.

Plus, he had a whole shoot about how his WCW co-stars were buried during the alliance angle. He apparently didn't trust how he would be used.

By the way, allow me to go on record and say I would not pay to see a Sting/Taker match. Ten years ago? Sure. Now, why bother?

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

The funny thing about Sting not going to WWE because he didn't like the way they were being use is that one of the reasons the Invasion Angle failed was because of the lack of star power from the side of the invaders. If Sting was apart of the Invasion, he would have easily been their leader and in turn would have pushed down everyone else down a peg. Booker T would have been the #2 guy, RVD #3, etc. And since everyone would have been a slot down on the roster, maybe they wouldn't have been fed to the fire like they were and more of them would have lasted.

Then again, the Invasion angle had more problems than that so probably not. Still I really don't think they would have screwed up Sting. He was a name guy, was respected in the locker by pretty much everyone, and could actually go in the ring (which means he could lose a couple of matches without getting ruined like Goldberg).

The funny thing about Sting not going to WWE because he didn't like the way they were being use is that one of the reasons the Invasion Angle failed was because of the lack of star power from the side of the invaders.

Well... not quite, I don't think. It's the fact they weren't willing to use the star power they had.

Go back and watch some tapes or youtube videos and just listen to the responses RVD was getting. If they'd have stuck him in a main event feud with Austin, he would have been their superstar for the next ten years but Vince didn't want to push him. Seriously, though, he was so, so over... and what did they do? Stick him in an undercard feud with Jeff Hardy for the hardcore title :confused:.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

Well... not quite, I don't think. It's the fact they weren't willing to use the star power they had.

Go back and watch some tapes or youtube videos and just listen to the responses RVD was getting. If they'd have stuck him in a main event feud with Austin, he would have been their superstar for the next ten years but Vince didn't want to push him. Seriously, though, he was so, so over... and what did they do? Stick him in an undercard feud with Jeff Hardy for the hardcore title :confused:.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

That is because they never really wanted to push the pothead RVD past midcard but finally after years and years they were forced to give him the big belt

I want to point out the "risque" part of the product of WWE is pretty much toned down now. I doubt, if you point it out to Sting, that he will make it as a compelling case.

I think the bigger issue is he worries how WWE will use him. Also, as you guy said, road schedule and creative control. For one thing, he would need a road schedule akin to the Undertaker and Shawn Michaels (no house shows, less non-wrestling appearances). Vince may not want that, regardless of what Sting wants in terms of money. And Creative Control, because he doesn't want to made to look like an idiot (Booker T, Goldberg).

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

To be fair, he was featured as part of a triple threat with Angle and Austin where he 5-Starred Austin a week or two before the PPV.

But the failure of the Invasion was not just about how RVD was used. The whole thing came off like a terrible version of the original NWO angle, and had some of the same problems. But while the NWO's goals were pretty clear: establishing a new guard and taking over WCW programming, it was never clear what, exactly The Alliance hoped to gain. Even with Sting, Golberg, Steiner, and anybody else, the Alliance angle would not have worked the way it was booked. You would've seen those guys show up, phone in mediocre performances for six months, and then go home.

I am one who would have loved to see Sting in WWE because he was my favorite wrestler as a kid. But as someone pointed out he said he wouldn't do it because he was afraid of how we would get used/buried. The thing that comes to mind is when Booker T made his debut and the rock did his whole "Who in the blue hell are you" thing to him. Sting said he thought it was very untasteful and completly destroyed any credibility Booker or WCW had that's what did it for him

The thing that comes to mind is when Booker T made his debut and the rock did his whole "Who in the blue hell are you" thing to him. Sting said he thought it was very untasteful and completly destroyed any credibility Booker or WCW had that's what did it for him

Soooo, one company swallows another company and the workers for the acquiring firm are supposed to treat the new people as equals? WE WON, YOU LOST was the message I got from that. Plus, consider Booker's schtick at the time (5-time, 5-time, 5-time dubya cee dubya champion). If WCW is no more, you expect folks to give him heat for perhaps being the reason why (i.e. "If you were such a great champion, the company you worked for wouldn't have gone out of business"). That's basically what the Rock said and meant. Besides, everyone knew that most of WCW's bloated roster wasn't going to be kept on.

I dunno, I don't see how arguably the biggest star in the business's history could've been expected to show respect (on camera) to someone who wasn't nearly as big and was coming over from a company that had killed itself. If Samoa Joe came over from TNA, I wouldn't expect John Cena or Trips or even Orton to treat him like an equal (again, on camera at least).

100% agree with Remi on this one. I wouldn't have expected any of the Main Event in WWE to consider (on camera) WCW champions as equals. People like Hogan, sure. People like Booker T and RVD, not so much. Although I do think RVD has the charisma (or had), to have been a huge success.

RVD, Jeff Hardy, etc. These people kind of make me wonder if they can see their own potential or not. They get to a point and either "blow it" or leave to take some time off. I don't know the scoop or anything, but if I were WWE I would offer to give either of them a lesser schedule to help them heal up... For example, a schedule like they give Cena when he's off doing a movie, etc.

However, it seems to me that they don't understand that they could become a great deal more popular if they would stick with it long enough. Perhaps next time Hardy comes back, he will not have to work his way up as much (not that it took that much time this time), and perhaps he still has a chance. I don't see RVD reaching the pinnacle he had when he had both World Title's though (ECW and RAW I believe it was).

When speaking about the Invasion Angle, how can one not mention the mishandling of DDP? He did the job for the Undertaker's horse faced old lady, for pete's sake! He even left money on the table to help out and that's how he was treated.

Right?

Don't get me wrong, his "inspirational leader" gimmick had a few classic moments... but overall, DDP wasn't used even close to his ability in the WWE.

Soooo, one company swallows another company and the workers for the acquiring firm are supposed to treat the new people as equals? WE WON, YOU LOST was the message I got from that. Plus, consider Booker's schtick at the time (5-time, 5-time, 5-time dubya cee dubya champion). If WCW is no more, you expect folks to give him heat for perhaps being the reason why (i.e. "If you were such a great champion, the company you worked for wouldn't have gone out of business"). That's basically what the Rock said and meant. Besides, everyone knew that most of WCW's bloated roster wasn't going to be kept on.

I dunno, I don't see how arguably the biggest star in the business's history could've been expected to show respect (on camera) to someone who wasn't nearly as big and was coming over from a company that had killed itself. If Samoa Joe came over from TNA, I wouldn't expect John Cena or Trips or even Orton to treat him like an equal (again, on camera at least).

Bingo. The way I look at it is The Rock's reaction was exactly the same as any WWE fan who never watched WCW the first time they saw Booker T. Booker's not Hogan, Flair, Sting, or even Goldberg. He wasn't a superstar. There was no reason for The Rock to show him any respect on screen - if he had, that would've hurt his credibility more than it would help Booker. If Booker was on that level, Austin wouldn't have joined the Alliance.

Besides, it's a pretty simple formula...Rock = face, Booker = heel. Faces make fun of heels, fans laugh at heels, heels get pissed off. It's been going on a long time. Was Sting offended when Cena made fun of how Orton cries about all his problems? If Rock's promo that night had anything to do with Sting not coming to WWE (and I've never actually seen these quotes, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt), he's an idiot.

The funny thing about Sting not going to WWE because he didn't like the way they were being use is that one of the reasons the Invasion Angle failed was because of the lack of star power from the side of the invaders. If Sting was apart of the Invasion, he would have easily been their leader and in turn would have pushed down everyone else down a peg. Booker T would have been the #2 guy, RVD #3, etc. And since everyone would have been a slot down on the roster, maybe they wouldn't have been fed to the fire like they were and more of them would have lasted.

Then again, the Invasion angle had more problems than that so probably not. Still I really don't think they would have screwed up Sting. He was a name guy, was respected in the locker by pretty much everyone, and could actually go in the ring (which means he could lose a couple of matches without getting ruined like Goldberg).

I strongly disagree with this. There was a good nucleus to utilise, but WWE failed miserably because they wanted to tear the WCW/ECW guys apart as being lower than them. Fair enough, if you want to waste the chance of gathering gold that's their issue.

This is what they had;

Lance Storm - multi level WCW champion, ECW star, WWE makes him into a comedy act who has no charisma

Diamond Dallas Page - multi time WCW champion. WWE makes him into a 'mr positive' comic failure after inserting him into an angle as being someone pervetedly obsessed with Undertaker's horse faced wife even though his own Mrs was smoking hot

Booker T - multi time WCW HC and Tag Team Champion, they kill off Sting's enthusiasm with the Rock's infamous "who in the blue hell are you?". Sting has commented that this promo where the Rock made out that Booker was no one was the moment he decided not to follow through with the WWE.

Mike Awesome - former ECW Champion

Raven - former ECW Champion

Taz - former ECW Champion

Rob Van Dam - former ECW Champion

The Dudleyz - say no more

They had a lot of others who were capable, or had had major feuds on PPV...

As far as it all goes, if they REALLY wanted slightly more star power, Mick Foley, Triple H, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, the Giant, Eddie Guerrero, they were all from WCW (and for Benoit, Jericho, Guerrero, Mick Foley all from ECW too). 2 or 3 of these guys could have been added to the Alliance to give them the true rub of the green. The story could have been that they had gone to the WWE to infiltrate, spy and set them all up.

It was the hottest thing going on wrestling at time, and the "E" screwed it royally.

Bingo. The way I look at it is The Rock's reaction was exactly the same as any WWE fan who never watched WCW the first time they saw Booker T. Booker's not Hogan, Flair, Sting, or even Goldberg. He wasn't a superstar. There was no reason for The Rock to show him any respect on screen - if he had, that would've hurt his credibility more than it would help Booker. If Booker was on that level, Austin wouldn't have joined the Alliance.

Besides, it's a pretty simple formula...Rock = face, Booker = heel. Faces make fun of heels, fans laugh at heels, heels get pissed off. It's been going on a long time. Was Sting offended when Cena made fun of how Orton cries about all his problems? If Rock's promo that night had anything to do with Sting not coming to WWE (and I've never actually seen these quotes, so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt), he's an idiot.

Irrespective of how you feel about it, it was fairly clear how Sting felt about it and this is why he never went to the WWE. Was a cheap shtick joke ha-ha worth missing out on Sting? My answer on behalf of the "E" is yes, because burying ECW/WCW at the expense of what could be made out of them seemed compelling enough for them to do it.

Although I didn't expect WWE to treat WCW and ECW wrestlers as equals, I expected them to treat them as NEAR-equals. Maybe a just a step below, but not so much that they couldn't be a threat.

It was also bad business. Period. I knew quite a few crossover fans that tried to watch both WWF and WCW programming regularly that quit watching WWF out of disgust. I was (WAS) a WWF fan first, WCW fan second, and even I found it disrespectful AND stupid in what he did. I think most of WWE now looks back with more calmness, and probably would say, "Damn, that was stupid and pointless of us to do that".

Another matter is, regardless of they were WCW or not, some of them were still good wrestlers. Burying Booker T was an utterly unnecessary and stupid booking move.

Just did a little reading up and yes like I said when the NWA bought out the UWF they did the exact same thing.

Now my point is that this has been done in wrestling before and it will happen again. Vince has a nasty habit of not wanting to push anything that either he or his team did not come up with (also he likes to give them new gimmicks to copyright them as well). Terry Taylor would have been just fine coming into the WWF as well Terry Taylor. Instead Vince killed his career by giving him that Red Rooster gimmick.

The Invasion thing failed because Vince could not bring himself to push wrestlers from his former competition. Even though they were all under contract for his company and he could have made money off of it.

That being said one can not fault Vince for this because, like the NWA before him, he must have thought, Why make the wrestlers from WCW look like they can hang with my guys. For years I have told the fans that the best wrestlers in the world wrestle here and now I am going to make these guys look good.

I know that it is counter productive thinking but it would appear that was along the lines of how he was thinking at the time. Also, who knows what kind of stuff was going on in the locker room. Maybe he felt he could not treat them as equals as his wrestlers would lose respect for him by doing so.

Archived