DMX (rapper)....MMA? believe it....

Franchise22

Ahh... I see what the big deal is (quick google search).

Most MMA fans have no idea about DMX's background, and even if they did, they don't respect it at all.

It's just like any other person that goes into it... Possibly will do good, possibly won't. Doubtfull to ever put his whole heart into it, because I think he will always be thinking "I can always make another album" although his albums haven't been doing so hot lately.

Well... He is a black belt. And it doesn't surprise me at all. Supposedly he even impressed Steven Siegal (not an easy to impress individual) on their film.

black belt in what? doesnt mean you can compete in mma. a 10yr can get a black belt at the ymca during summer camp in karate. Being a black belt doesnt mean much if its in a none practical Martial Art (kung fu ect no good for mma fights), or under a joke of a program or instructor.

Dont know his history? please.... lets not get on that topic. but seriously this is terrible. even if its a exhibition boxing match i find it to be a terrible idea.

black belt in what? doesnt mean you can compete in mma. a 10yr can get a black belt at the ymca during summer camp in karate. Being a black belt doesnt mean much if its in a none practical Martial Art (kung fu ect no good for mma fights), or under a joke of a program or instructor.

Dont know his history? please.... lets not get on that topic. but seriously this is terrible. even if its a exhibition boxing match i find it to be a terrible idea.

/shrug. To each there own.. I don't know why it's so terrible though.

The only reason some don't go over well in MMA, is mainly because of all the rules and regulations in MMA. It's like saying whomever win's in an MMA match, or Boxing for that matter, would surely win outside, with no rules. You don't know.

I don't know what all he's been trained in, but pretty sure he is most serious about Aikido, which as you say, doesn't translate well to MMA fighting, as it's more of a protect yourself, and your attacker form of art. Perhaps you might see a submission;)... Either way, it doesn't really matter. What matter's are what rules will the match be under?

best way to describe it is like this:

ill start with pro wrestling to set this up. When I/we watch wrestling we are suspending reality for the sake of being entertained. its as if we are watching a real fight or story play out. We know its "fake" but we watch with a certain perspective that its "real". that all goes away with celebrity and mainstream involvement. i hate when companies involve the likes of karl malone, david arquette, mayweather, jay leno, pacman jones ect ect in actual matches. it throws out the suspension of reality when these guys beat wrestlers or inflict big damge, and it comes across as a big farce. the fact that its REALLY fake stands out like a sore thumb.

how does this relate to the topic at hand?

its same concept as above when it comes to celebrities becoming involved in actual matches and fights.......

As a big mma fan, im striving to get it to be viewed as legitmate. REAL. because it is in fact real. when people start fighting that shouldnt (Canseco, DMX ect) it casts doubt on its legitamitacy. Its embarrassing. it becomes "fake" to those that already have doubts about it or dont view as a real sport. To be fair, i put the herschel walker signing in this group as well. in walkers case, a black belt in tae kwon do isnt going to serve him well in mma and at the age of 47, its a bit late to attempt to fight in a top tier promotion. and please, no comparisions to couture....apples and oranges.

thats my 2 cents....

healthy discussion and rebuttles welcome ;)

I can understand your thoughts, and I don't have a problem with them (since they are yours, lol).

My only point I would make is that these things, although gimmicky as they are (and they are), make money. It's also not as bad as you might thing for the sport (any sport).

Think of the people that might watch a celebrity match, as compared to a Normal one. Someone that normally wouldn't think of watching it. These people are one thing to a potential bussinessman... Potential Customer's.

If it brings in more fans, even if it's just one per every 50 that watch, that wouldn't have before... It brings that sport out more then it would have on it's own stars. It gives a chance to get more fans for the stars they have, and thus bigger PPV's in the future.

That's the best I can come up with to help those that feel somehow ripped off, or something from this.

<p>Okay I can see both of your points on this and can side with either one of you.(Hey look I am Henry Kissinger in this post).</p><p> </p><p>

I am not sure if either of you are baseball fans or not. I would like to ask you guys if you know who Bill Veeck was? He was either owner or part-owner of the Indians, White Sox, and the St. Louis Browns (the current Baltimore Orioles). This guy was the king of the gimmicks, he was the guy who did the infamous disco demolition night (along with his son),he reactivated Minnie Minoso in 1976 so that Minoso could claim that he played in in four decades and he did that again in 1980, to expand the claim to five, he had his team play in shorts for one contest, he had a midget named Eddie Gaedel make a plate appearance (Gaedel walked in his first and only major league at bat) and he also did Grandstand Manager's Day when he along with, Connie Mack, Bob Fishel, and thousands of regular fans, directed one game via placards.</p><p> </p><p>

To my point, yes djthefunkchris is right stunts, like these helped Veeck's teams because it brought more fans to the games. And it probably brought the fans back again. </p><p> </p><p>

That being said I see Franchise22 point as well because you risk making a mockery of the sport thus alienating your hardcore fanbase.</p><p> </p><p>

I guess you have to look at it this way, is it worth the risk of making your sport look like a sideshow?</p>

<p>Im fine with DMX doing a fight as long as it's against someone as inexperienced as he is. If I see him booked to fight any remotely experienced MMA fighter I wouldnt be happy. </p><p> </p><p>

Jose Canseco bothered me becasue he was matched up with a K-1 super heavyweight That's ridiculous. DMX is fighting Eric Martinez some celebrity i've never heard of with no MMA experience. Is it a freakshow of course but at least both guys will be equally inexperienced. </p><p> </p><p>

Is this something im interested in seeing no but like I said it doesnt really bother me either it's not like Showtime or the UFC are airing it for the world to see.</p>

<p>I don't know how true this is, but if it's correct, it might make you feel better about it. </p><p> </p><p>

Supposedly he is going against someone that is very conscientious over animal rights... Kind of a like opposing force's here. One with animal cruelty charges (DMX), the other an animal rights enthusiast. </p><p> </p><p>

Then again, no longer is it just the gimmick of having a celebrity, but the match itself sets up a gimmicky way to promote it.</p><p> </p><p>

The baseball anology is ok, but I don't think that it's of the same calibre. Had you said Burt Reynolds signed on the professional team for a season... </p><p> </p><p>

To someone like me, MMA is the place you go when you have ran out of other area's to pursue. MMA to other's is where only the REAL or TRUE fighter's go. It's one of the things most MMA fans understand better then non-MMA fans. Everytime something like this happens, it can be looked at as "One more blow" to the sport.... Although to someone like me, the sport alone does it all by itself.</p><p> </p><p>

Someone going from baseball (or football, or Icehockey, or whatever) to golf, wouldn't be looked upon this way.... However, someone going from Golf, or Hockey, or Football, into Boxing, would. </p><p> </p><p>

However, Celebrity boxing, is fun to watch. Just as celebrity MMA might be as well. Some people might like it, other's will definately think it a blow to the sport, but mainly because of the sports reputation by itself. "Great.. one more thing to make it look like a ....."</p>

Archived