your PPV purchase habits

Franchise22

this thread (http://www.greydogsoftware.com/forum/showthread.php?p=716602#post716602) got me thinking, what shows do you buy on ppv?

for WWE, i always buy the Rumble and 'Mania, but thats it to be honest.

I purchase every MMA ppv that i can get my hands on (UFC, AFFLICTION before they folded, strikeforce, ect)

Never have bought a TNA ppv, but its always an "almost buy". i always consider it, but back out. ive thought about Bound for Glory. but lately impact has really gone downhill IMO, but thats another thread.

so what do you buy?

The only one I actually planned to buy was the Royal Rumble. All of the others ones it's more of a case of "Hmm... I'm awake, it's almost 1am, I don't work on Mondays, I could buy this show." Then I look at the matches and judge if I can be bothered to stay awake until 4am. Often coin tossing is required.

It's only recently that I gained the ability to watch PPV's and the disposable income to make ridiculous spur-of-the-moment purchases.

When I used to have a job, I checked almost every PPV at the movie theater downtown. Only 20 bucks and you get to eat popcorn with a huge ass screen showing Ric Flair's saggy self. Hoo-rah. :p

These days, I keep it to the Rumble and Mania only as well. Mania 25 is the last pay-per-view I've seen in the theater actually. From that point on.. I don't think I've ever payed for a PPV since then, except WWE Breaking Point which I went to see live.

I think WWE's biggest problem is the product

Most storylines are stale, overdone, and boring

how many times have we seen Orton vs Cena, Cena vs HHH, or DX

how many times have we seen the underdog storyline, or the Manger turns on another.

I remember days when people would built into a turn and didn't just turn on someone (i.e Carilto and Primo)

WWE needs competition period, I hope this Hulk tour thing they are doing works out well enough that maybe they can start something or TNA does something.

Vince is probably one of the smartest minds in the business but with out competition he has no need to be the best, just enough

I honestly don't remember the last PPV I actually bought. (Possibly Pre-Wrestle Mania XX) The last PPV I saw live was a PPV that I saw through a web site that streams. Not exactly legal either I assume. But I haven't been bothered to care for the industry in quite a while. The only contributions I honestly make to the WWE nowadays is my purchasing of SvR which I do mostly out of habit rather than pure exitement. The main event in those games have remained the same for the last 4 or so years and even those I get bored with quickly. I think maybe wrestling is one of those passing things with me, I may be outgrowing the product on TV as sad as it may seem.

I've been thinking about getting into MMA though. I hear all the hype and I figure I'm going to slowly dip my toes in the water.

I'm a bad example heh.

I tend to wear out my PPV buying. I even had to get a splitter so my fax machine could share its phone jack with my DISH box.

As far as WWE is concerned, I tend to go to a friend's house (who is an almost unhealthy WWE mark) if I want to watch one of their PPVs.

I purchase several UFC pay per views a year, though I much prefer attending in person (even when I had to work - the O2 arena is awesome!).

I buy a few boxing PPVs from time to time but not too often. But TNA I will generally get every PPV, even when I'm frustrated by their overall product. Yes, I like the Knockouts enough to spend up to 50 bucks to see their one or two segments. But, if a PPV doesn't have a Knockouts match, I won't buy it.

I honestly don't remember the last PPV I actually bought. (Possibly Pre-Wrestle Mania XX) The last PPV I saw live was a PPV that I saw through a web site that streams. Not exactly legal either I assume. But I haven't been bothered to care for the industry in quite a while. The only contributions I honestly make to the WWE nowadays is my purchasing of SvR which I do mostly out of habit rather than pure exitement. The main event in those games have remained the same for the last 4 or so years and even those I get bored with quickly. I think maybe wrestling is one of those passing things with me, I may be outgrowing the product on TV as sad as it may seem.

I've been thinking about getting into MMA though. I hear all the hype and I figure I'm going to slowly dip my toes in the water.

The part I have bolded is how I feel as well. To be honest I have not really been 100% into wrestling since WCW closed down. I not sure what it is but their are not that many wrestlers that I seem to care about. When I go to a live event I just sit there. I do not stand when everybody gets up (unless I can not see), I really do not cheer for anybody, instead I just sort of sit there and golf clap if something I like happened. I guess that is how I know wrestling is sort of passing me by.

Other sports get a reaction out of me, like when the Giants beat the Patriots I went nuts! I was so happy! Or when the Yankees lost in the World Series to the Diamondbacks I was so pissed off that I threw a remote control at the TV. With wrestling I just can not get that way anymore. Maybe it is because I know it is fake and know some of the stuff that goes on behind the scenes. I just can not put a fingure on it.

Anyways, back on topic: The last actual wrestling PPV I bought was a ROH PPV that I went to that was in Boston in September of last year. I would buy some UFC PPV's if they were cheaper. Other then that no I would not go out and buy a wrestling PPV.

I purchase every MMA ppv that i can get my hands on (UFC, AFFLICTION before they folded, strikeforce, ect)

Do they air on PPV outside of the US? They have only been on Showtime and the Playboy show on Yahoo. Just curious.

As for PPV's that I buy, it depends on where I am. I usually try to go in with friends or go to a bar that will be showing it for a $5 cover. Although when that's not possible I buy them at one of my parent's house.

I bought both of Affliction ppvs and I buy some UFC ppvs but if the card isnt very good I just go to a bar and check it out.

I have freind who is obsessed with pro wrestling and he gets every WWE and TNA ppv which is like a ppv every 2 weeks. I watch WWE at his house every couple months.

I can't remember the last time I missed an MMA PPV until I decided to get the Mayweather fight instead of 103. Needless to say, I regretted my decision because other than my old science teacher's class, that fight was the most boring thing I've had to sit through in my entire life.

I make an effort to buy Wrestlemania almost every year, usually with a friend or two. Most of the time, the card is worth it and the WWE makes us feel the event is special. For all their other PPVs, it's usually not worth it. If the card is interesting, I might use the internet to watch the show partially. It doesn't happen very often though.

TNA ? Not a fan sorry. The few times I gave them a chance on free TV, I got bored. It reminded me of WCW bad days. Yup, that bad.

I used to get every single pay-per-view WCW had, and for a long while there, every PPV the WWF had too. But, now, I haven't bought a PPV in years - the last real PPV I saw live was the Survivor Series 2002, but I also ordered one of those ten dollar weekly TNA PPVs they used to do back in 2003.

Since, then I haven't ordered any. If I hear good things about a show, I get it on dvd. If I don't, I usually just miss it. I always get the WrestleManias on dvd. I've got some of the ROH PPVs on dvd as well.

I haven't bought a WWE ppv for around 3-4 years or so now and prior to that, I'd only pay money for the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania. I don't even bother to watch or record the ppv's that air free on Sky Sports anymore as the WWE just seems so stagnant, I never feel like I'm missing anything. I guess having received all the ppv's for free during the Attitude era doesn't help as it makes it really hard to actually part with money now for such inferior cards.

All the TNA ppv's air free on Bravo and I usually see most of them. It's not that TNA are really tearing up the place with awesome shows either, but they do just about enough to keep me watching, plus they contain more of my favourite wrestlers.

As for MMA... I just can't really get into it. I used to watch some of the UFC stuff on Setanta, but it was mainly a 'meh' sensation.

I watch the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania every year, either here or at my sister's house. I haven't ordered any other pay per views since the WCW was around and have never ordered a TNA ppv (and, frankly, don't see myself doing so in the future).

I subscribe to Showtime to catch Strikeforce events and watch nearly every UFC PPV (again, alternating between my place and my sister's).

I always buy the three ppvs that matter most to me, the Royal Rumble, No Way Out, and of course, WM. If you are wondering why I put No Way Out, I usually get it because it is just before WM, so most the main stories for WM start at either the Royal Rumble or at No Way Out. I also buy Summerslam sometimes, but only when the card looks good.

Archived