The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

The only way to salvage Reigns at all is turn him heel. Just go with the fact he is getting booed. Have AJ Styles win at Payback, than have Reigns beat him up post match. Styles is one of there main merchandise sellers. He can bring in great numbers as champion, but WWE needs to pull the trigger on this very soon.

I don't know if AJ needs a run with the belt right now. He's 38 years old and seems to be very solidly over without the belt. I think you get a lot more mileage in the slow-burn heel turn they seem to be heading toward with Reigns if he, a cocky jerk, defeats the humble and well-liked, particularly amongst the smark set, AJ Styles. Sets up this run of who Reigns is - a hyper-athletic jerk who smugly does what he wants, when he wants, to whoever he wants to do it. I think Reigns' character actually benefits from holding the belt, a physical and tangible symbol of his increasing arrogance and entitlement. I think the growth we're finally seeing in Reigns loses a ton of momentum if he's knocked out of the title picture. I think they keep working slowly more heel as champ for at least a few months, say Summerslam where he drops it to Ambrose or a returning Rollins or even a last World title run Cena, you might build one of the biggest heels in WWF history that draws serious money for years to come.

I mean, if AJ wins I'm not going to be mad, guy has busted his butt and done everything except hold WWE gold. I just think the longer view is better served by letting Roman have more than one PPV title defense before you take it off him. Frankly, I am legitimately curious about this Reigns run, and cautiously optimistic that we are seeing a world class heel developing before our eyes.

AJ Styles can easily be the new Daniel Bryan, the guy both hardcore and casual fans like.

I think that's the thing - he already *is* that guy, to an extent. I mean, D-Bry was a once-in-a-lifetime, perfect time and place phenomenon. I would argue WWE's attempt to replicate that phenomenon with Roman Reigns is one of the major issues that soured people on Reigns. Is AJ really going to get that much more popular with the belt than he is right now? I do think Roman with the belt and an attitude has an opportunity to develop into a top-drawing heel, transforming the X-Pac heat he's been getting into real, nuclear heat that is increasingly difficult for performers to draw in a post-kayfabe world.

At this moment in time, I think it is Reigns who has the potential for exponential growth. A solid heel run as the arrogant heel champ that no one can seem to get the belt off might define Reigns in a way that it propels him for another decade. AJ winning is…well, AJ winning. Which is nice, but then what? What story do you tell then? And is it worth tanking what could be a defining heel run for a worker you'll have for another decade or two, who, if you handle him correctly at this pivotal moment, has the potential to draw serious heat and serious money for years to come? If I am the 'E right now, I want to see if I can create a heel main eventer that will be around for WrestleMania 42, as opposed to whatever short term bump an AJ run might give me right now.

The only person who should even sniff the title aside from Reigns is the returning Rollins. Not having Seth as a face challenge Roman would be one of their bigger mistakes in quite a while.

The entire reason the Reigns situation got so bad in the first place is because they got gunshy about him multiple times which hurt his credibility with the casual fans on top of the hate he was already generating. If you're going to commit to someone, actually go full force and do it properly.

I just caught RAW on Hulu. I must say the show was MUCH better than anything I've seen in months. I mean there is a marked difference from literally two weeks ago. I have no idea what must have changed. Is Hunter getting more say in the back? Is Shane? Or did Vince finally come to his senses? Whatever it is, it made me tweet @WWE asking them to keep moving in this direction. Recently whenever I have decided to torture myself while watching an episode of RAW, it's always been while doing something else. Today my full attention was on the show. Bravo.

Some random thoughts:

1. Roman is miles better as an arrogant d-bag. It just feels sincere for him. I can see a slow burn heel turn happening here. But I can also see this new persona getting over in time.

2. The focus on Owens, Styles and Zayn is a breath of fresh air. The show was centered around the future for a change and made these guys seem like the centerpieces of the company.

3. Sheamus' "Are you not entertained?!" while beating down Roman? I marked.

4. No authority and they were certainly not missed. Shane keeps it short, to the point and bothers to put over midcard talent between segments instead of droning for twenty minutes about how he's that damn good. His run down of the card actually made me want to watch the show, rather than simply knowing what the main event will be and oh, by the way here's some other stuff.

5. Cesaro is finally being pushed and it even looks like he's being given a character. If the company is serious about this new direction, then there is no doubt he beats Miz at Payback.

6. Bullet Clubs debut was perfect. Almost nWo-esque. Very excited to see where they will factor in to this tag team tournament.

Very good RAW as I just caught it last night! I'm a little sad Zack Ryder's push was halted but that was the only complaint I took away from this. The guys has the ability to draw and can get the crowd behind him. I don't see why they don't do more with the guy.

Cause he looks like a goof :p

I'm a huge Ryder fan. I have been since I saw him and Hawkins debut as the Major Brothers. I've always liked Hawkins more, but they've always been underrated.

Very good RAW as I just caught it last night! I'm a little sad Zack Ryder's push was halted but that was the only complaint I took away from this. The guys has the ability to draw and can get the crowd behind him. I don't see why they don't do more with the guy.

Maybe they aren't halting his push entirely, but just the push within the singles division? Perhaps this experience where he got screwed by the darn Numbers Game will lead to him deciding he needs someone, a bro, if you weeeeell, to watch his back. A bro who doesn't get hyped, but stays hyped? Given what appears to be a possible investment in the tag team scene with this tournament, the Hype Bros could be a decent addition to the division.

Either that, or Ryder got a giant thank you present at Mania for staying around, putting dudes over, and helping develop talent in NXT, while also allowing midcard gatekeeper extraordinaire The Miz to have a path to the belt that shines up his heel credentials, while not damaging the push of Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn as they leave the IC belt behind and pursue their personal, eternal vendetta.

As a long-time Simpsons and South Park fan (yes, I'm very old), not even I will claim they're always funny. But, I digress...

However, I will say the Edge and Christian Show that Totally Reeks of Awesomeness (or the EACSTTROA :D) is an absolute jewel and, along with NXT, is worth the $9.99 monthly investment for the WWE Network.

St. T

Just now watched the Mania preshow and good God how terribly awkward was Eva Marie. Just every time she got involved it came off as an awkward thing in and of itself, both the moves she pulled and the motions and interactions. She was even hanging on the ropes like a constipated person, pulling these weird faces and clapping her hands like a toddler high on chocolate milk. Nikki even had to guide her for the collective raised hands moment post-match. If there was a "retarded cousin" gimmick she'd fit that perfectly. Good of her to hang in there despite the negativity, but sometimes you have to draw conclusions that you're not made for this business. At least not in this way. Just use her for that TV show and promos (like Fastlane, where she was excellent). She's a model and she should just be that. Look at Lana. Her first match, and though it wasn't a great performance in any way she came off completely different. Her demeanor was way better, so she promises to be a decent worker someday if they stick with it (though I think she should stick with her excellent manager gig).

I don't want to break her down, but the moments when she shines are those where she's all alone and the spotlights are on her. It's just the way it is.

NXT seems to be at a place right now, while they're airing stuff filmed in Dallas, kind of in a holding pattern, but I thought this week's show was still pretty solid overall. Can I just say I really liked Tye Dillenger's work in his match against Nakamura? He's got fantastic expressions, he's playing the crowd, reacting to the crowd in real time. His freak out to the "HE'S ELEVEN" chant was priceless. Plus, he's getting to a point where he can cut a pretty decent egomaniac heel promo. Of all the people to start getting impressed by in NXT, I have to say Dillenger would not have been my first choice, but man, he was on point this week.

Just now watched the Mania preshow and good God how terribly awkward was Eva Marie. Just every time she got involved it came off as an awkward thing in and of itself, both the moves she pulled and the motions and interactions. She was even hanging on the ropes like a constipated person, pulling these weird faces and clapping her hands like a toddler high on chocolate milk. Nikki even had to guide her for the collective raised hands moment post-match. If there was a "retarded cousin" gimmick she'd fit that perfectly. Good of her to hang in there despite the negativity, but sometimes you have to draw conclusions that you're not made for this business. At least not in this way. Just use her for that TV show and promos (like Fastlane, where she was excellent). She's a model and she should just be that. Look at Lana. Her first match, and though it wasn't a great performance in any way she came off completely different. Her demeanor was way better, so she promises to be a decent worker someday if they stick with it (though I think she should stick with her excellent manager gig).

I don't want to break her down, but the moments when she shines are those where she's all alone and the spotlights are on her. It's just the way it is.

I think you may be overreacting. She was perfectly cromulent in a pretty decent throwaway match. Obviously she'll never be a great worker, but she's actually over.

She has go away heat.... Not heel heat. Theres a difference

I disagree. People legitimately hate Eva and NXT has been using her perfectly as the biggest heel on the roster. Pairing her with Nia Jax was a brilliant move as by having Nia save her and work as her muscle Nia is associated with Eva in the eyes of the fans and slowly but surely builds up independent heat.

What exactly is the difference between the two heats and how do you determine it? Do you poll the crowd? Or does she have go away heat with you and heel heat with the crowd? I'm pretty sure there's no real answer considering wrestling is different for everyone.

I disagree. People legitimately hate Eva and NXT has been using her perfectly as the biggest heel on the roster. Pairing her with Nia Jax was a brilliant move as by having Nia save her and work as her muscle Nia is associated with Eva in the eyes of the fans and slowly but surely builds up independent heat.

What exactly is the difference between the two heats and how do you determine it? Do you poll the crowd? Or does she have go away heat with you and heel heat with the crowd? I'm pretty sure there's no real answer considering wrestling is different for everyone.

You're joking right? I guess the extreme "YOU CANT WRESTLE" chants doesnt really make a point. No one wants her in the company. She cant wrestle. You sure you are watching the same channel?

You're joking right? I guess the extreme "YOU CANT WRESTLE" chants doesnt really make a point. No one wants her in the company. She cant wrestle. You sure you are watching the same channel?

I get the same vibe. I'm not going to say that EvaMarie taking a finisher (from Summer nota bene) was one of the top5 pops of Mania, but it was the biggest pop of the match she was involved in, other than Nikki coming in to celebrate (which is arguably a post-match segment). It shouldn't have been.

The pairing with Jax is good and somehow they fit reasonably well. But like mentioned before, it's not heel heat like the Miz gets for instance.

And why was she even in that team, being a heel? Just so they could call the other team B.A.D and blonde? Cute.

Anyhow, sorry for bringing this up...again. We shouldn't be discussing this. Better to discuss Dillinger, who was indeed excellent this week.

I think you may be overreacting. She was perfectly cromulent in a pretty decent throwaway match. Obviously she'll never be a great worker, but she's actually over.

With who is she over, other than the Southern region of Vince's body?

She has Nuclear go away heat, haven't seen anything like it since x-pac's last days. That's not "being over" with anyone.