The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Reigns entering at 30 is actually one of the smartest pieces of booking they've done in a very long time.

First, they've started the feud between him and Taker and planted the idea that Reigns sees WWE as his yard. Reigns lost earlier in the night but he still enters the Rumble after he's blown his chance. A bigger man would have taken his L on the chin and set his sights on Strowman but Reigns didn't and somebody has to put this self-entitled ass in his place now.

Second, and I thought this was very cool, the Rumble ended with the same final three as the big Survivor Series match. Same result too, The Wyatts coming out on top over Reigns. Third, the Rumble needs to end with a bang not a whimper. The fans booing Reigns gave them the big babyface pop they wanted when Orton dumped him.

Loved the Rumble, loved Owens/Reigns and I expect to love Cena/Styles when I watch it tomorrow. Love the Fed, brothers.

Ok, so now that I have a second to sit down, my thoughts on the rumble. (not that anyone cares :p)

Owens V. Reigns - Pretty good match, I liked it. Good energy by this crowd throughout. Still hilarious that they turn the crowd mics down when Roman enters, Crowd was very pro Owens.

Match itself was hard hitting, good for a hard core match. I thought the Jericho cage was ok, didn't add or take away from the match really. Reigns is getting better, but still has an abysmal moveset outside of brawling and selling the effects of a brawl. Someone needs to tell this kid that he needs to use the Superman Punch much, much less. Yes, it is a good visual. No, you should not be attempting/hitting it 4-6 times in a match.

2nd best match of the show for me. (note: Rumble not counted in that, it's to unique to treat as a match)

Charlotte V. Baylee - Another decent match, though the obviously kept it in mid gear to save something for the inevitable rematch. Thought the finish came a bit out of no where, but the finish itself was cool. Reinforces the natural selection and that it can be hit from anywhere, and reinforces that Baylee won't tap.

I do wish they would stop (not just with Baylee) going with the tired "He/She was a fan, just like yooooouuuu!" no kidding. I assume, like all athletes who dedicate themselves enough to be at the top of a sport, that these people likely had a passing interest in wrestling when they were children.

Also, and I've mentioned this before, the "baylee buddies" really don't work as well in larger sets. They look good in full sail, here they looked kinda of stupid.

Neville Vs. Swann - Very Good match. Thought that Neville looked great, and Swann showed great babyface fire. Disappointed the crowd was not into this one, because it was one of the better Cruiser weight efforts so far, but you've trained the audience to tune out on these matches by having 2-3 minutes a match, and they did.

Cena V. AJ - Listen, I am no huge fan of the Cena Character either, but since around the time of the Chicago MITB match against Punk, he has been on fire in big matches and delivered here. AJ always delivers, and he did again.

WWE has to be happy that the crowd was as hot for this match as they were, and for both guys. AJ's pop here was right on Cena's level. Very good back and forth match, AJ lost nothing here, he looked unbeatable at times (3 AA's, including a Super AA to put him down) and they were great on the technical aspect too. AJ and Cena enjoy working together, and have great chemistry when they let them loose, and it shows.

I was fine with the result, AJ has had a strong run, looked right at Cena's level here, and you know what, John deserves to tie (and break, eventually) Flair's record, I'm sorry. I could have done with (as someone said above) AJ retaining here, leading to a "one more shot" storyline fore Cena where he gets #16 at Mania, but this was also well done.

I think the interweb's debate today of this vs. Okada v. Omega is a bit silly, but I will say this match belongs one step below that one, in another 2017 this would be our leader for MOTY worldwide early into the year, but for me it was not quite on the level of Okada v. Omega.

The Rumble was fine for me, I just hated the way the last 5 guys or so were booked. First, while i get the shock aspect of lesnar goldberg, Lesnar looked like a fool for not tossing more people out. Right when he did nothing on that front, I turned to my wife and said "either him and Goldberg eliminate each other and brawl, or one is going to shock eliminate the other. To many guys have been left in."

I was wrong on the guy though, I thought WWE would even steven it by having Brock shock Goldberg setting up the rematch at Mania.

Then you have great energy with Taker in there at 29, the Crowd is ready to go crazy for a big pop...and reigns is it. Good on the crowd for going into business for itself and starting the farm animal waste chant.

And yes, I understand the booking. that they want to tease reigns turning heel and going after taker. But for me, there are better ways to get there than this. Also, it made no sense. Why does Roman, out of everyone in championship matches who lost, get the number 1 spot in the Rumble? Why didn't AJ get to enter if Reigns can double dip?

Reigns also didn't help himself by hitting, by my count, 5 more superman punches. And they wonder why that move now is starting to get no pop. That was 11 or 12 times, on one PPV, that he either hit it or attempted it. ridiculous.

Over all I'd give it a B+. Good show, hurt by the fact that Vince continues to attempt to prove that Reign's is the star of his show, when his Audience is burnt out on the kid. I don't know where they expect to go at WM with this one. If Taker wins, Reigns gets beat by a 50 year old man. If Reigns wins, even do to a heel turn, the Fans will take a dump all over one of Taker's last matches at Mania.

Also, Reigns is not a good guy for Taker to face IMO. Reigns has gotten much better in ring, though he is still limited. But his best matches are when he and the other guy can just brawl for 25 minutes, with some high impact spots sprinkled in. I do not want to see a 25 minute brawl featuring Taker. He labored to keep up with Shane o Mac last year, and based on the fact he planted himself like the Great Kahli in the center of the ring and refused to move in this match and not much else, I can't see that getting better.

I'm so glad I'm not a smark, Royal Rumble was great and me and my buddies had a great time watching all 6 hours of it.

all 6 hours? jesus christ, that's worse than being a smark lol

The Club are the new Raw tag champions

but who cares now? they lost their aura, it doesn't feel special

The fans booing Reigns gave them the big babyface pop they wanted when Orton dumped him.

it could be anyone, they would still get cheers in place of Orton. They had loads of potential but preffered to "rub" Reigns, who's already bleeding from excessive "rubbing". For example Jericho eliminating Reigns would be good for the past storyline and would get triple the reaction.

Ok, there's something about the Rumble last night that I've kind of realized.

WWE might have had no choice but to put Roman in.

You know how all those surprise entrances were being considered for the Rumble? Well let's see...

Omega: Said his contract would not be up in time for said event.

Angle: Said he wouldn't be in it.

Balor: Was still recovering from his injury, so he's out of the question.

HHH: Did that last year, not worth doing again.

Rollins: Already worked Takeover, and considered what happened there; it's clear he wasn't going to attack someone from behind and steal their spot.

Joe: I'm not exactly sure why Samoa Joe didn't enter the Royal Rumble; but even if he had debuted in the Rumble, why would you waste him on a match that he wouldn't win anyway?

Now yes, you can argue and say Styles entered the Rumble and he didn't win and you'd be right. But here's the thing, up to that point; Styles hadn't stepped foot in a WWE ring. This was historic, and WWE played it as such; Samoa Joe has been in WWE's developmental system for around two years at this point and has pretty much massacred everyone in his path.

IMO, with such a killer aura; wasting his big debut on a match he has little chance of winning would be a bad move on WWE's part. Especially considering how much he's accomplished in NXT.

Now that I think of it, why does there NEED to be a surprise entrance?: Yes, it's fun to bring back old friends from years back and it's a fun way to pop the crowd, but that's just it; their surprise entrances. They exist to surprise the audience. It's clear their not going to win, and that's ok. They do their job and leave.

That's not to say there shouldn't be a surprise entrant, I myself would have liked to see a surprise entrant in the rumble; however, I can't say it really hurts the match either.

So back on the case of Roman Reigns, I think the WWE were planning on having someone big come in at no. 30 and clean house; only to be eliminated at the last moment by Randy Orton, but once they heard that Omega, Angle and Balor were out of the question; they had to pull a magic trick out of their sleeves and fast.

And IMO? I think it worked out better than it should have. Think about it, you could put anyone else eliminating The Undertaker in this year's Rumble would have easily been booed out by the audience; but at this point, Roman Reigns is reaching X-Pac levels of hatred; so you know he's going to be massacred no matter what happens which makes the moment all the more intense to watch.

In short; It's Booking 101 at it's finest, Wrestler eliminates legend, people don't like it, the wrestler beats everyone up, then some other wrestler takes him out of nowhere and wins. But in the case of Roman Reigns, the fact that he's so hated by the WWE Universe makes the moment even more powerful than it had every right to be.

Yeah, it was to create drama and fake the fans out. They've been doing this 'got your nose' booking for a while now where they tease something you expect and then go in the opposite direction with it. The only alternative was an NXT call-up but as said, having them lose does them no favours and likely leaves them directionless for WrestleMania = pointless.

I mean, I would have bought Samoa Joe winning the whole lot and crushing Cena but then you have nothing for Styles at Mania, who is right now doing comfortably better merch numbers than Punk at his peak according to Google Trends and is closing in on Cena and Reigns.

I think Styles vs. Orton is the clear post-Mania program, I think both men are winning at Mania against Cena and Bray respectively. Joe can then come up on the post-Mania SD and slot into a program with Cena and then you can do Styles vs. Joe down the road. Everybody's a winner!

Yeah, it was to create drama and fake the fans out. They've been doing this 'got your nose' booking for a while now where they tease something you expect and then go in the opposite direction with it. The only alternative was an NXT call-up but as said, having them lose does them no favours and likely leaves them directionless for WrestleMania = pointless.

I mean, I would have bought Samoa Joe winning the whole lot and crushing Cena but then you have nothing for Styles at Mania, who is right now doing comfortably better merch numbers than Punk at his peak according to Google Trends and is closing in on Cena and Reigns.

I think Styles vs. Orton is the clear post-Mania program, I think both men are winning at Mania against Cena and Bray respectively. Joe can then come up on the post-Mania SD and slot into a program with Cena and then you can do Styles vs. Joe down the road. Everybody's a winner!

Yeah, that's basically it in a nutshell. They've learned the art of fake-outs. Started at WrestleMania 31, don't think it's going to stop anytime soon.

If you went into the Royal Rumble knowing what to expect/not being deluded it was a perfectly adequate show

Cena/AJ was great, Owens/Reigns exceeded expectations and the Rumble, while very very predictable, was a good match, well put together that showcased the best of just about all of its participants

My final thought on the show is that people who cheer Goldberg and boo Roman Reigns are at best very, very mixed up individuals and at worst delusional hypocrites

If you went into the Royal Rumble knowing what to expect/not being deluded it was a perfectly adequate show

Cena/AJ was great, Owens/Reigns exceeded expectations and the Rumble, while very very predictable, was a good match, well put together that showcased the best of just about all of its participants

My final thought on the show is that people who cheer Goldberg and boo Roman Reigns are at best very, very mixed up individuals and at worst delusional hypocrites

Trust me, a Goldberg in today's wrestling world would bomb big time. Times change, seasons fly. People don't want just a star with a great look and a few big moves; they want the full package.

Although, if I'm being honest...Roman Reigns is (slightly) better than Goldberg.

And now to go build the bomb shelter to save myself from the millions of people I've just upset by making that statement.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Dynamite Sid" data-cite="The Dynamite Sid" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If you went into the Royal Rumble knowing what to expect/not being deluded it was a perfectly adequate show<p> </p><p> Cena/AJ was great, Owens/Reigns exceeded expectations and the Rumble, while very very predictable, was a good match, well put together that showcased the best of just about all of its participants</p><p> </p><p> My final thought on the show is that people who cheer Goldberg and boo Roman Reigns are at best very, very mixed up individuals and at worst delusional hypocrites</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Then again Goldberg is at least way fresher than Roman Reigns....I can see it. Hell I even was conflicted if I liked the ending to Survivor Series or not. On one end the 10 year old kid in me was marking out while the smark in me was ready to throw a beer at the tv.</p>

<p><strong><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Royal Rumble:</span></strong></p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Bayley vs Charlotte</strong> - Good match.</p><p>

<strong>Owens vs Reigns</strong> - Great match.</p><p>

<strong>Neville vs Swann</strong> - Good match.</p><p>

<strong>Styles vs Cena</strong> - Great match even with the finisher spam and Cena winning. Short of hot-shotting Samoa Joe there was no one left for Styles to fued with.</p><p>

<strong>Royal Rumble</strong> - Failed to live up to the hype. Strowman, Dillinger, Corbin and the Wyatt Family were great. There were a few good moments toward the end with the big names in the ring but the lack of surprises really hurt the match. Reigns at #30 eliminating Undertaker to setup a WM match was stupid unless Roman turns heel. I'm fine with Orton winning, though.</p><p> </p><p>

<strong>Verdict:</strong> Surprisingly good PPV up until the main event which could have been better.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Russelrules44" data-cite="Russelrules44" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Trust me, a Goldberg in today's wrestling world would bomb big time. Times change, seasons fly. People don't want just a star with a great look and a few big moves; they want the full package.<p> </p><p> Although, if I'm being honest...Roman Reigns is (slightly) better than Goldberg.</p><p> </p><p> And now to go build the bomb shelter to save myself from the millions of people I've just upset by making that statement.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Reigns is basically a modern Goldberg. He's mostly bombing. I don't disagree with your sentiments. I dislike Reigns less than I previously did, but I feel mostly similarly to him that I did with Goldberg back in the day. I don't really care for that kind of booking. They were both highly protected by booking with very limited skill sets.</p><p> </p><p> I do think that having Reigns enter at 30 was basically the worst thing they could've done. He already had a title match for the night, and it really didn't make sense for him to be there. There's a certain other Samoan that would've been a much better use of the spot, but eh, it is what it is. </p><p> </p><p> Hell, Reigns was pretty much the only person that could've had the effect on the crowd that he did on that spot. People would've been less disappointed if Bo Dallas or something was number 30. </p><p> </p><p> It's hard to think of Reigns as being against the odds when he's handed so many opportunities. It was also really annoying to watch them hand him Universal Title shots while holding the US Title. That was basically depriving 2 other people (would be challengers for each belt) of featured spots so they could give their pet project the spotlight. I don't hate Reigns. I do kinda hate the way he's booked most of the time. Much like I kinda hated the way Goldberg was booked. I dunno, maybe that's just me.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Crychon" data-cite="Crychon" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Oh, and one of the points I meant to cover in my previous post: I do agree that Reigns is better in the ring than Goldberg. Reigns' matches against KO last night and AJ Styles a while ago were better than anything I can think of that Goldberg ever did.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Goldberg vs. DDP was very good but DDP....I think it was at a Halloween Havok...not positive but that match was almost perfect. They had the crowd in the palm of their hands. DDP proved at that point that Goldberg was capable of being carried to a very good match.</p><p> </p><p> Also if we are talking about crowd investment then we have to include Goldberg vs. Hogan where Hogan dropped the belt to Goldberg.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="K-Nection" data-cite="K-Nection" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Goldberg vs. DDP was very good but DDP....I think it was at a Halloween Havok...not positive but that match was almost perfect. They had the crowd in the palm of their hands. DDP proved at that point that Goldberg was capable of being carried to a very good match.<p> </p><p> Also if we are talking about crowd investment then we have to include Goldberg vs. Hogan where Hogan dropped the belt to Goldberg.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Goldberg was/is more over than Reigns has ever been.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Dynamite Sid" data-cite="The Dynamite Sid" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>My final thought on the show is that people who cheer Goldberg and boo Roman Reigns are at best very, very mixed up individuals and at worst delusional hypocrites</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Roman is a much better wrestler, but that's it. Goldberg is a fresh nostalgia act, has more presence than Reigns could dream of, even at 50, and hasn't got like 3 straight years of bad booking stink on him.</p><p> </p><p> That said, when I got around to watching the Rumble match, it was frankly embarrassing how it was built entirely around the part timers making every full timer look like a completely insignificant loser, and Goldberg is of course a part of that. That match perfectly summed up why the ratings are in the toilet, really.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Questlove" data-cite="Questlove" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That said, when I got around to watching the Rumble match, it was frankly embarrassing how it was built entirely around the part timers making every full timer look like a completely insignificant loser, and Goldberg is of course a part of that. That match perfectly summed up why the ratings are in the toilet, really.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The last draws weren't what this Rumble was built on.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="K-Nection" data-cite="K-Nection" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Goldberg vs. DDP was very good but DDP....I think it was at a Halloween Havok...not positive but that match was almost perfect. They had the crowd in the palm of their hands. DDP proved at that point that Goldberg was capable of being carried to a very good match.<p> </p><p> Also if we are talking about crowd investment then we have to include Goldberg vs. Hogan where Hogan dropped the belt to Goldberg.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Goldberg also had a really good match against Steiner before WCW closed down.</p><p> </p><p> Even Goldberg vs Nash at Starrcade was a decent match. Terrible main event, but given those two guys' reputations, they had a much better match than they should've on paper.</p><p> </p><p> Roman is a far more capable in ring guy than Goldberg was/is though, but Goldberg is more likeable as a top face.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Blackman" data-cite="Blackman" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I honestly can't believe I'm saying this, but the Cena match was probably the best thing of the Rumble. Is it all just a ploy to induce insight that Cena isn't that bad after all?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Cena is a weird case imo, especially when it comes to the IWC.</p><p> </p><p> From Debut to 06 he honestly wasn't great outside of his character unless he was carried</p><p> </p><p> 07-08 were good years for him, but he was obviously with competent talent in all his standout matches.</p><p> </p><p> 09-10 were dark ages for him imo. 2011 he had his MITB match, but he wasn't that good outside of that one match or series of matches with Punk imo. Same with 2012.</p><p> </p><p> Cena really hit a stride from 2013 from the point he feuded with Bryan onwards imo.</p><p> </p><p> He's a good wrestler now, but he's very overrated in a few parts of the IWC. Maybe because this generation grew up with him as the top guy. There are people who legit think hes one of the best ever.</p><p> </p><p> He's good now like I said, hes probably one of the best big match guys they have right now, but he's not the type that can wrestle a broom to a 5* match (WM 27 is a testament to this) . He needs guys like AJ, KO, Cesaro, Seth, etc. to wrestle great matches more than they need him whether he calls the matches or not.</p><p> </p><p> He's certainly the best figurehead of WWE history, though, as far as being the most reliable hand in the company, a good draw, and a good ambassador in Hollywood. Austin, Rock and Hogan drew better ratings, but none of them worked the schedule Cena has worked for 12 years straight. As much as I think he needs amazing talent to truly be any good, if I had to choose to build a company around anyone in their prime, Cena would be a top choice.</p>