The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Gotta say I am intrigued by the Raw spanning background story that culminated with the appearance of Dexter Lumis. (I'm a huge fan.) I was talking to a couple people while watching, and I kept noticing the stuff with the car and whatever in the background.

Genuinely curious to see where this one goes. I figured Dexter could never be main roster because of his character.

Gotta say I am intrigued by the Raw spanning background story that culminated with the appearance of Dexter Lumis. (I'm a huge fan.) I was talking to a couple people while watching, and I kept noticing the stuff with the car and whatever in the background.

Genuinely curious to see where this one goes. I figured Dexter could never be main roster because of his character.

TV-14 definitely helps in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to see Undisputed NXT Champion Bron Breakker vs Undisputed Universal Champion Roman Reigns at Survivor Series. 

Not saying Bron should win or anything, but if Roman is going to hold both belts it makes sense that his brand challenger is the Undisputed NXT Champion and I just don't see Tyler Bate beating Bron. 

Also, The Bloodline are one of the best stables around. Would love to see Roman and the Usos vs Kenny Omega and the Bucks.

You know, I think it's amusing that when AEW debuts the Butcher & the Blade or Danhausen, some member of the Internet Wrestling Community (twitter especially) say, "But WHO are they? You can't just debut someone without explanation!" And then when Dexter Lumis shows up without anything more than "It's Dexter Lumis", people call Triple H brilliant.

Last night, after a month, the announce team finally got around to explaining who Lumis is for those who didn't watch NXT, which, going by the ratings, was a not insignificant portion of the RAW viewing audience.

Having said that, the handshake between Sami and Jimmy was GOLD.

Edited by Matt_Black

I think the difference is that those guys (Butcher & The Blade and Danhausen) were independent stars, whereas Dexter Lumis was a "star" within the (and I hate this term but I don't know how else to describe it) "WWE Universe". If your previous examples had run a mock and had some quite substantial storylines on Rampage for an extended amount of time before debuting, I don't think there'd be cause for complaint even though Rampage viewership is lower than Dynamite.

And to be honest, the debut of Lumis has been unique for the 'E from what I've seen. For decades, it's felt like they've spoon fed their viewers but seeing stuff in the background of other segments that aren't even related to Lumis has been very entertaining. So yeah, for me, the "brilliance" of Triple H isn't that he's introduced someone with the expectation that the audience already know who they are, but that he's introduced him to the audience almost subconsciously.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Mammoth said:

I think the difference is that those guys (Butcher & The Blade and Danhausen) were independent stars, whereas Dexter Lumis was a "star" within the (and I hate this term but I don't know how else to describe it) "WWE Universe". If your previous examples had run a mock and had some quite substantial storylines on Rampage for an extended amount of time before debuting, I don't think there'd be cause for complaint even though Rampage viewership is lower than Dynamite.

And to be honest, the debut of Lumis has been unique for the 'E from what I've seen. For decades, it's felt like they've spoon fed their viewers but seeing stuff in the background of other segments that aren't even related to Lumis has been very entertaining. So yeah, for me, the "brilliance" of Triple H isn't that he's introduced someone with the expectation that the audience already know who they are, but that he's introduced him to the audience almost subconsciously.

This Lumis storyline may be new to WWE, but it's giving me horrid flashbacks to Aces & Eights kidnapping Samoa Joe and the awful parlor tricks Warrior used in WCW against Hogan. 

I actually was reading the whole Lumis thing on Raw as he wasn't actually there, until the very end in the truck. The other appearances were just Miz' trauma from the kidnapping coming out and playing tricks on his mind. In that sense it works completely instead of him being there and Ciampa not noticing at all both times.

• Like 1

What a show. One of their greatest in years. The Intercontinental title actually means a damn again...feuds are based on dudes just wanting to beat the hell out of each other...and well, sad for Drew, but this basically confirms Cody is the guy once he's back. Stellar wrestling all night.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

From your lips, er, keyboard, to God's ears. The rumors about keeping the belt on Roman so he can have a big title match against the Rock leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am deathly afraid of that being the plan. I'd maybe take double duty from Roman at Mania, I don't see how else they will pull some BS to separate the titles which really needs to be done with the influx of talent returning/coming in. We'll see.

5 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

It's easy to make it a 1,000 days when you've got a Brock schedule.

Me, I'd prefer a champion who actually, you know, SHOWS UP TO WORK.

Roman shows up more than Brock does. Roman and the Bloodline are in my opinion one of the best things in pro wrestling in a long time. Little bummed Solo got zero reaction from the crowd, but I do hope that Jacob Fatu joins WWE to join the Bloodline too.

14 minutes ago, Mootinie said:

Sheamus getting a standing ovation was lovely and very well deserved. For a 16 year veteran who has won every belt but the one he was fighting for to put on that performance in defeat speaks volumes about the man behind the character. 

Sheamus debuted in WWE at a time when I wasn't following wrestling too much. My cousin, who I had grew up watching WWF/E with every week, still watches religiously. Anyways, I remember being at his place when Sheamus debuted, or at least my first glance. I immediately thought this guy would go far. He had the big mohawk and the Lemmy style beard. Attitude and talent to match. Glad he made a good career for himself. What match are you referring to? I might have to check it out.

1 minute ago, djskeemask said:

Sheamus debuted in WWE at a time when I wasn't following wrestling too much. My cousin, who I had grew up watching WWF/E with every week, still watches religiously. Anyways, I remember being at his place when Sheamus debuted, or at least my first glance. I immediately thought this guy would go far. He had the big mohawk and the Lemmy style beard. Attitude and talent to match. Glad he made a good career for himself. What match are you referring to? I might have to check it out.

The one he had yesterday against Gunther for the Intercontinental Championship at the Clash!

• Like 1

I was watching an old WWWF show from the mid-1970's (It had to be from sometime in 1975) the other night.  They had the then new WWWF Tag Team Champions come out who were Tony Parisi and Louis Cerdan.  These two guys proceeded to cut one of the most boring promos I have ever witnessed and it went on forever.  Which surprised me because normally all of the promos I saw from back then were rapid fire.  But this promo had to have lasted at least three minutes.  Neither guy could speak very well or had much of a personality. 

Anyway, I had heard of Tony Parisi before but I had never heard of Louis Cerdan before.  Turns out Louis was the trainer of Dino Bravo.  Another link that both men had was they both had ties to the Montreal underworld.  I do not know, I just found it interesting to learn about this guy I had never heard of and his link to Dino Bravo and the Montreal mafia. 

9 hours ago, BHK1978 said:

I was watching an old WWWF show from the mid-1970's (It had to be from sometime in 1975) the other night.  They had the then new WWWF Tag Team Champions come out who were Tony Parisi and Louis Cerdan.  These two guys proceeded to cut one of the most boring promos I have ever witnessed and it went on forever.  Which surprised me because normally all of the promos I saw from back then were rapid fire.  But this promo had to have lasted at least three minutes.  Neither guy could speak very well or had much of a personality. 

Anyway, I had heard of Tony Parisi before but I had never heard of Louis Cerdan before.  Turns out Louis was the trainer of Dino Bravo.  Another link that both men had was they both had ties to the Montreal underworld.  I do not know, I just found it interesting to learn about this guy I had never heard of and his link to Dino Bravo and the Montreal mafia. 

Since they were trying to make it real still back then there’s a good amount of promos that were Blaise cause of the fact people were speaking off the top of their head. Which can lead to great stuff or terrible stuff. Personally I’d want more stuff like this cause I’d take the terrible to get the great.

9 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

Since they were trying to make it real still back then there’s a good amount of promos that were Blaise cause of the fact people were speaking off the top of their head. Which can lead to great stuff or terrible stuff. Personally I’d want more stuff like this cause I’d take the terrible to get the great.

I'm the same. I'm willing to put up with stilted and slow-talking promos to get the gold of the promos that came out from the 1970's and 1980's.

Besides, how do you grow if you don't get out there and do it?

St.T

• Like 2