The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

That would be a lot more believable if the WWE didn't have a long and storied tradition of making people job out on their birthday, in their hometown, or in other instances where any sane person would look at the situation and say "Maybe we should let them win this time?". Nattie's Uncle Bret had to eat a pin the same weekend that his brother Dean died.

• 2 weeks later...

When I first saw Andre Chase and Chase U, I thought it was pure wrestle crap, but now Duke Hudson and Thea Hale have made it a very entertaining gimmick. Thea training under Gulak and Dempsey is a nice way to bring an edge to her character. 

1 hour ago, Jaysin said:

She's just so...boring. I'm sure I'll like her again at some point, but it's hard to miss someone when they don't stay away long enough. 

Never mind the fact that she did this already against Rhonda and literally walked in and had a title match right there and won. Now she left for some time and auto wants belt. Like... Come on man, feud with someone else. Fight Bayley. Let Asuka have her belt in peace as she murders people.

I switched on RAW for a couple minutes last night and was surprised to see that it was in Cleveland. Nice! Then some idiot named Logan Paul began to insult the people of Cleveland. Is he from here? Apparently. I turned to another channel.

The Miz did the same thing a while back on RAW. It's a head scratcher. Why would WWE personalities insult the host city on live television? I understand the whole gimmick thing, being a heel, stirring up controversy, but insulting the host city? Is that a good way to increase viewers? Why would local people watch RAW on TV when it comes to their city if the broadcast is going to raise a middle finger to their city? Why would they spend the money and time to go downtown and watch in person, only to have to sit there and listen to some idiot insult the city where they live? 

Didn't RAW go to Saudi Arabia not long ago? I'm guessing that the on-air personalities did not insult the local venue or the Saudi royal family.

Edited by Antonin

Insulting the home town has been a long-standing heel tradition. Heels in WWE do it, heels in AEW do it, heels in WCW did it, and this dates all the way back to the territory days. Andy Kaufman did it to Memphis when he was feuding with Lawler.

"This town stinks!"
"Booo!"
"You people stink!"
"Booo!"
"I hate this town so much, I am NEVER coming back!"
"Yaaaay!"

"... Just for that, I AM coming back!"

"BOOOO!"

I think the biggest headscratcher last night was who decided putting Trish Stratus in a ladder match in 2023 was a good idea.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Insulting the home town has been a long-standing heel tradition. Heels in WWE do it, heels in AEW do it, heels in WCW did it, and this dates all the way back to the territory days. Andy Kaufman did it to Memphis when he was feuding with Lawler.

"This town stinks!"
"Booo!"
"You people stink!"
"Booo!"
"I hate this town so much, I am NEVER coming back!"
"Yaaaay!"

"... Just for that, I AM coming back!"

"BOOOO!"

I think the biggest headscratcher last night was who decided putting Trish Stratus in a ladder match in 2023 was a good idea.

I understand the "insult the home town" tradition. But maybe at my age I don't have the patience for some gimmicks. Some of them are not cute or clever any more. Insulting the host city, gimmicks that come very close to racist incitement, etc., those things are getting old.

Yes, I remember Kaufman vs Lawler very well. Those were different times.

To me, here in 2023, it just does not make sense for some guy to say on live TV, "Hey! I'm from here, and glad I left!" etc etc. When I heard what that idiot said I replied, "Ok, so you don't want me to watch your TV show," and I changed the channel. I love my city, and I'm not going to listen to some jerk on a pro wrestling show insult it. You can be entertaining without poking a finger in the eye of your hosts. 

If WWE really wants to be edgy, the next time they do a show in Saudi Arabia they should insult Islam and the Saudi royal family. I dare them.

Or, the next time they go overseas to entertain at some US military base, how about insulting soldiers?

Man, after watching Raw, the complaints about Miz and Logan Paul's promos are even sillier. They didn't remotely bury Cleveland in the slightest. A few jabs about the city being on a perpetual losing streak is just the reality of Cleveland. 

• Like 3

To be fair, that was low-tier for Miz. He's done better. Like, one time they were in Cleveland, he's standing in the ring. He's getting hero's reception, with thunderous chants of "WELCOME HOME!" He's standing there, basking it in, until he finally raises the mic to speak...

"I live in L.A."

• Haha 2

Anyone else get a chuckle out of all the little Ohio/PA indies jokes Graves made practically all night? All the AIW references were nicely done, and Owens getting a hero's welcome in one of his many "homes" is always fun. Wish I had been able to gone to the show. 

Graves crack about Erik being somewhat of an accomplished wrestler in the local area was great. There was a Firestorm Pro show one time. It was supposed to be Samoa Joe vs Ray Rowe(Erik) and it was being touted as a dream match. Sadly, the match got changed day of the show since EC3 got signed and vacated the Firestorm title, changing the main event to multi man for the belt. It was still a fun show, but at that time, Joe was on fire and Rowe was having fantastic performances everywhere. 

I wasn't as high on the Bloodline Civil War as others have been but fair play to them for advancing Main Event Jey Uso. I'm sure he'll be headlining SummerSlam now.

Women's MITB was probably my favourite match of the night overall, I thought it was really well put together.

Edited by Mootinie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...