The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

1 hour ago, DrawingDimes said:

Im just glad LA Knight finally got a clean win, YEAH

The draft could be so much more interesting/engaging if it wasn't Raw general manager Adam Pearce drafting against Smackdown general manager Adam Pearce though

Shocked he actually won a match. Let’s see if he can actually win two. That’s asking a lot though.

10 hours ago, DrawingDimes said:

The draft could be so much more interesting/engaging if it wasn't Raw general manager Adam Pearce drafting against Smackdown general manager Adam Pearce though

One year, they claimed it was the networks doing it.

Anyway, still not as dumb as Survivor Series.

16 hours ago, DrawingDimes said:

I think the idea in presentation is that RVD, Teddy Long, Road Dogg, etc., were actually doing the decision-making for the Raw brand while HBK, JBL, etc., were doing it for the SmackDown brand. But they don't tell us about any authority figures except for Adam Pearce being the "manager" on both shows and HHH coming out to make grand pronouncements. It would have helped to establish some adversarial management types on each brand before the draft started.

Of course, when we had them,...everybody pissed and moaned about them. So there's that.

* Except Teddy Long! Nobody complained about Teddy Long! Playa!

St.T

• Like 1

Was nice to see Easy-E on RAW last night although I got irrationally angry at the zoomer crowd not popping for him lol

Was a pretty poor episode of RAW, I normally like Vinces booking more than Pauls but last night had all the worst elements of Vince without the positives

The Draft they did was so poorly executed. Random legends announce draft picks without proper explanation around who are actually making the picks, why are their “free agents”? Why can you pick groups or teams?

They don’t care about the product so why should fans. It’s a bad way of doing tv. Wish they did the draft more like an actual sport and had brands draft the NXT wrestlers. 

1 minute ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

The Draft they did was so poorly executed. Random legends announce draft picks without proper explanation around who are actually making the picks, why are their “free agents”? Why can you pick groups or teams?

They don’t care about the product so why should fans. It’s a bad way of doing tv. Wish they did the draft more like an actual sport and had brands draft the NXT wrestlers. 

1. The random legends all had histories with the particular brands they were announcing picks for

2. They explained free agents as well, they explained that certain workers negotiated contracts to remain free agents. It allows Brock to show up whenever whereever and it allows Omos to get more and more practice. 

3. Drafts have always included teams and stables. Why change now?

4. NXT wrestlers were drafted. 

Did you even watch the shows or just read recaps?

2 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

1. The random legends all had histories with the particular brands they were announcing picks for

2. They explained free agents as well, they explained that certain workers negotiated contracts to remain free agents. It allows Brock to show up whenever whereever and it allows Omos to get more and more practice. 

3. Drafts have always included teams and stables. Why change now?

4. NXT wrestlers were drafted. 

Did you even watch the shows or just read recaps?

1. What did Teddy Long have to do with RAW? Shawn Michaels for Smackdown?

2. But it’s random guys, if you’re gonna do a draft do a draft and don’t pussyfoot around it. 
3. Drafts did not always include teams. At the beginning they would draft single wrestlers which is how teams would get split. 
4. But I’m saying it should be treated like Amateur Drafts where they solely draft a pool of NXT wrestlers.

1 hour ago, Big Roguey said:

to go all well actually about it, if it was like a proper draft they'd be doing the NIL guys. To use the NHL as a loose example, Raw/Smackdown are the NHL, NXT is the AHL and then I guess NIL is your draft prospects.

That’s valid. Doing NIL would be a bit Blaise cause fans don’t really know the people and they ain’t ready for the main roster. Now if RAW and Smackdown had their individual developmentals (minor leagues) then I would agree but since it’s shared in NXT, NXT mimics the college system in pro sports where talent are all under that umbrella to be drafted, unaffiliated to a specific brand still. By the time guys are in the AHL they have an NHL team they’re affiliated too.

8 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

3. Drafts did not always include teams. At the beginning they would draft single wrestlers which is how teams would get split. 

No, but since they brought back the brand split in 2016, that rule has been in effect. It's been poorly implemented, like one show drafting members of a tag team individually, effectively wasting a pick.

Why a Puerto Rican promotion has never been able to go national (or even global) is beyond me because their crowds are some of the best as they're always red-hot. Backlash wasn't even that great but that crowd elevated it exponentially. It was like a peak Attitude Era crowd.

• Like 2

I've heard good things about NXT lately, so I decided to jump back in with this week's episode. I love that women have such a big presence on the show. Big compared to the other shows anyway. 

Another thing I enjoy is that everyone has a gimmick. They're not all good gimmicks, but everyone seems to have a character and a motivation. HBK has improved leaps and bounds as a booker since I watched last. That or someone else is helping him? Whatever the case, NXT is added back to my weekly watching schedule. 

Booker is so, so, so bad as a commentator, but he's entertaining anyway. He's so silly. Reminds me of Dusty's goofy ass commentary in the late 90s. 

Bron Breakker as a heel is awesome already. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Karrion Kross has all the raw charisma and star power of a Vampire: The Masquerade player who will not shut up about his character.

I think it's also impossible to sound threatening while saying the name "Allen". I chuckled. He's such a goof. He's capable of good matches, but his character is just so silly and cringey at times. 

2 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

Natalya basically got squashed. On her birthday. In case there was any doubt that Vince McMahon is still in charge.

I don't know, maybe as a veteran of many years who understands the value of putting people over the result had Nattie's influence/call in it? I'm not excusing it being a squash but I highly doubt many were looking forward to a 20+ minute match with how little build there was to it. I can't attest to anything but I'd wager Nattie just wanted to put Rhea over strong as a reliable veteran who's got no issue flying to Saudi. If you believe she gets her kicks out of watching the young guns flourish under her influence and the fact she likely got one hell of a paycheck out of the deal, all things considered it was not a bad birthday present.

Edited by Dawn
  • Like 2