The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

<p>It might surprise a few people to know I also felt the HIAC lost something. I didn't think it would matter to me, but just not utilizing it makes it just another cage match, or better yet... just another match.</p><p> </p><p>

I do feel they could have done something, but I guess the worry that something might happen (blood) kept them from doing so. IF that's going to be the case, yeah... Either don't use it at all anymore, or go back to the way it used to be.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="djthefunkchris" data-cite="djthefunkchris" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>It might surprise a few people to know I also felt the HIAC lost something. I didn't think it would matter to me, but just not utilizing it makes it just another cage match, or better yet... just another match.<p> </p><p> I do feel they could have done something, but I guess the worry that something might happen (blood) kept them from doing so. IF that's going to be the case, yeah... Either don't use it at all anymore, or go back to the way it used to be.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You are definitely not the only one who thinks that. The HIAC is a match where blood really drives home the brutality of it. Fear of blood and general PGishness has really removed the brutality from the match and then it becomes a "what's the point?" scenario.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MasterJ" data-cite="MasterJ" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So smackdown did a 1.7 on the live show ouch</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah, saw that. I'm really curious what their expectations were. I mean, even with hyping the move and it being a live show, its still on SyFi and its still a Friday night...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bigpapa42" data-cite="Bigpapa42" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah, saw that. I'm really curious what their expectations were. I mean, even with hyping the move and it being a live show, its still on SyFi and its still a Friday night...</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think that has to be about what the thought, though i'm sure they hoped it would pull a 2.</p><p> </p><p> But considering the "star" show with the big draws drew a 2.7 on a monday, They can't complain that it drew a 1.7 on a friday, which is traditionally not a good drawing night with it being the first night of the weekend.</p><p> </p><p> The only concerning thing ive seen is that Vince wants Smackdown to be more "entertainment based" since it's on a major network like raw. </p><p> </p><p> I watch smackdown because it's not like raw and more wrestling first, entertainment added in.</p><p> </p><p> Not looking forward to all smackdown's matches being 2 minutes long with a cheap finish because they want to get another plug/promo in.</p><p> </p><p> hopefully they will let smackdown keep a bit of it's identity as the "ring work" show i think it was developing, Taker-Kane fued aside.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="crownsy" data-cite="crownsy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think that has to be about what the thought, though i'm sure they hoped it would pull a 2.<p> </p><p> But considering the "star" show with the big draws drew a 2.7 on a monday, They can't complain that it drew a 1.7 on a friday, which is traditionally not a good drawing night with it being the first night of the weekend.</p><p> </p><p> The only concerning thing ive seen is that Vince wants Smackdown to be more "entertainment based" since it's on a major network like raw. </p><p> </p><p> I watch smackdown because it's not like raw and more wrestling first, entertainment added in.</p><p> </p><p> Not looking forward to all smackdown's matches being 2 minutes long with a cheap finish because they want to get another plug/promo in.</p><p> </p><p> hopefully they will let smackdown keep a bit of it's identity as the "ring work" show i think it was developing, Taker-Kane fued aside.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I read raw got a 2.3 from PWI</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="MasterJ" data-cite="MasterJ" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I read raw got a 2.3 from PWI</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That was wrong as that was the total population rating and not the household rating which is the one that matters and is used.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="crownsy" data-cite="crownsy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think that has to be about what the thought, though i'm sure they hoped it would pull a 2.<p> </p><p> But considering the "star" show with the big draws drew a 2.7 on a monday, They can't complain that it drew a 1.7 on a friday, which is traditionally not a good drawing night with it being the first night of the weekend.</p><p> </p><p> The only concerning thing ive seen is that Vince wants Smackdown to be more "entertainment based" since it's on a major network like raw. </p><p> </p><p> I watch smackdown because it's not like raw and more wrestling first, entertainment added in.</p><p> </p><p> Not looking forward to all smackdown's matches being 2 minutes long with a cheap finish because they want to get another plug/promo in.</p><p> </p><p> hopefully they will let smackdown keep a bit of it's identity as the "ring work" show i think it was developing, Taker-Kane fued aside.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Well Smackdown's 52 week low was a 1.6 and high a 2.2. So with it being on a better network, a live show and a "debut" show I think that a 1.7 is lower then expectations.</p><p> </p><p> rating's source:</p><p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/155465/The-Hamilton-Ave-Journal-09.30.10:-Volume-2-%E2%80%93-Issue-157.htm" rel="external nofollow">http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/155465/The-Hamilton-Ave-Journal-09.30.10:-Volume-2-%E2%80%93-Issue-157.htm</a></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hyde Hill" data-cite="Hyde Hill" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Well Smackdown's 52 week low was a 1.6 and high a 2.2. So with it being on a better network, a live show and a "debut" show I think that a 1.7 is lower then expectations.<p> </p><p> rating's source:</p><p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/155465/The-Hamilton-Ave-Journal-09.30.10:-Volume-2-%E2%80%93-Issue-157.htm" rel="external nofollow">http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/columns/155465/The-Hamilton-Ave-Journal-09.30.10:-Volume-2-%E2%80%93-Issue-157.htm</a></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Uh, Sci-Fi is not a "better network." It's a cult TV network that's only available on Cable, so it's in less homes and doesn't have anything remotely related to wrestling that can be used in advertising. This is a network running marathons of ghost-related reality shows multiple times this week in prime time. While it's probably lower than expectations, it's still significantly above where ECW ended and still above NXT's ratings.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Uh, Sci-Fi is not a "better network." It's a cult TV network that's only available on Cable, so it's in less homes and doesn't have anything remotely related to wrestling that can be used in advertising. This is a network running marathons of ghost-related reality shows multiple times this week in prime time. While it's probably lower than expectations, it's still significantly above where ECW ended and still above NXT's ratings.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> mytv is on cable as well, a large portion of the country doesn't even have it.</p><p> </p><p> Syfy reaches more homes than mytv i believe.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="crownsy" data-cite="crownsy" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>mytv is on cable as well, a large portion of the country doesn't even have it.<p> </p><p> Syfy reaches more homes than mytv i believe.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No, mynetwork TV is a broadcast station, in almost every case it was the channel that didn't get merged into the CW. And no, Syfy doesn't reach more homes.</p><p> </p><p> I mean: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MyNetworkTV_affiliates" rel="external nofollow">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MyNetworkTV_affiliates</a></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Uh, Sci-Fi is not a "better network." It's a cult TV network that's only available on Cable, so it's in less homes and doesn't have anything remotely related to wrestling that can be used in advertising. This is a network running marathons of ghost-related reality shows multiple times this week in prime time. While it's probably lower than expectations, it's still significantly above where ECW ended and still above NXT's ratings.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> No offense but you don't know what you're talking about. I work in television and I can tell you that SyFy is indeed a "cult" network however it shows just as much prime time original programming as A&E, Spike T.V, etc. Its not USA/FX/TNT but it has a dedicated original programming schedule.</p><p> </p><p> SyFy is in 96 million homes, USA is in 98.5 million homes so SyFy is in every major market in the United States. If you have cable t.v you have the SyFy channel. Also pro wrestling does not fit in with any of USA's programming shows like White Collar, Psyche, etc are not aimed at the Pro Wrestling audience. Please don't point out how Cena and Show have been on that shows that does not make them geared at the same audience its makes the USA a smart network for synchronizing as many products as they can on their brand. </p><p> </p><p> The Truth of the matter is that the WWE has never lost audience before. They moved to MyTV and barely lost a step ratings wise from the CW and this was a much more cohesive and in house move since they already had two shows (RAW, NXT) on NBC Universal's umbrella. </p><p> </p><p> So you can't say that nobody watches SyFy because nobody watches WGN and that doesn't stop Superstars from generating roughly a 1.0 rating. SyFy is basic cable and its seen around the country in nearly every home that has cable. Its got nothing to do with not being a wrestling network as wrestling has been on that network for FOUR years almost five years now so thats not an excuse. Its not an excuse that its not seen in many homes when its seen in just 2.5 million less homes than USA Network.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Stennick" data-cite="Stennick" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>No offense but you don't know what you're talking about. I work in television and I can tell you that SyFy is indeed a "cult" network however it shows just as much prime time original programming as A&E, Spike T.V, etc. Its not USA/FX/TNT but it has a dedicated original programming schedule.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No offense, but I do know what I'm talking about. Kind of seems like you don't know what I'm talking about, though. SyFy is a cult network that tends to average 1.0 ratings on a regular basis and, as I just said, is showing reality show marathons in primetime multiple times this week. It's more than a little ridiculous to say something like "you don't know what you're talking about" when I'm looking at the programming schedule and stating fact. Also when you agree with one of my main points it doesn't really compute with not knowing what I'm talking about.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Stennick" data-cite="Stennick" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>SyFy is in 96 million homes, USA is in 98.5 million homes so SyFy is in every major market in the United States. If you have cable t.v you have the SyFy channel. Also pro wrestling does not fit in with any of USA's programming shows like White Collar, Psyche, etc are not aimed at the Pro Wrestling audience. Please don't point out how Cena and Show have been on that shows that does not make them geared at the same audience its makes the USA a smart network for synchronizing as many products as they can on their brand.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Wow it's almost like Burn Notice and Psyche, etc., are aimed at a similar demographic on a network that encourages cross-promotion. But I look forward to Cody Rhodes starring in Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus 2.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Stennick" data-cite="Stennick" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So you can't say that nobody watches SyFy because nobody watches WGN and that doesn't stop Superstars from generating roughly a 1.0 rating. SyFy is basic cable and its seen around the country in nearly every home that has cable. Its got nothing to do with not being a wrestling network as wrestling has been on that network for FOUR years almost five years now so thats not an excuse. Its not an excuse that its not seen in many homes when its seen in just 2.5 million less homes than USA Network.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I guess I couldn't, but fortunately, I <em>didn't</em>. I didn't say nobody watches SyFy and I didn't say it was in less homes than USA, I said it was on less homes than broadcast/air channels it was formerly on. And some of that audience they're losing is an audience that doesn't have cable and/or doesn't watch SyFy.</p><p> </p><p> My response was aimed at Hyde, who said that SyFy was a "better network."</p>

<p>SyFy is a better network. </p><p> </p><p>

Its under the NBC Universal umbrella which is a huge advantage over MyTV's banner.</p><p> </p><p>

Its on a show that triples the ratings of MYtv which although its a "network" television it shows nothing by syndicated reruns that don't even generate a .5 rating. SyFy has several shows over the 1.0 mark and even if your right about non wrestling fans watching SyFy wouldn't that be better for that 1.0 non wrestling audience to then see Smackdown come on afterwards? </p><p> </p><p>

Anyway you can't argue that MyTV is a better network than SyFy well you could but it would be wrong. SyFy triples or more the ratings of anything on MYtv, its under arguably the most powerful television companies umbrella, and it will get more non wrestling eyes catching a glimpse of them.</p><p> </p><p>

Most people don't even know MYtv exists and its not even considered "networK" television since it doesn't have a single piece of original programming on it. Also its losing a lot of affiliates who are going with ION or back to CW affiliates. </p><p> </p><p>

Anyway I don't really care why the WWE is losing ratings and there is little argument to say that MYtv is the "better" network. Just because more people CAN watch your shows doesn't mean they will. How will they promote their shows on a network no one watches? To where as with SyFy they can easily promote on USA if they so choose since they are under the same umbrella. Anyway yeah MYtv is a joke of a station that I suspect won't be around this time next year.</p>

I'd say your right on taker-kane, though i like the fued for nostaligia purposes.

I actually do like the idea behind the Undertaker/Kane feud. Thematically it's very strong, with the little brother finally overpowering his elder sibling. On a certain level I dig it, but I was sick of these guys 5 years ago. I don't like watching them in the ring. Undertaker moves really badly these days. I've never liked Kane.

But you really missed out on the triple threat, Barret-Cena, and Orton-Shemus. All three matches were among the best PPV matches of the year (for the WWE.)

Therein lies the rub. "For the WWE". My main reason for not checking out the show was that I simply have no interest in the WWE style right now. I feel I've seen everything they're willing to show me, and until I hear about something new I don't need to watch it. I'm steering clear of Sports Entertainment (no WWE or TNA since August) and have gotten into indy stuff. PWG. EVOLVE. Bit of SHIMMER. Ton of Dragon Gate. There's a lot of spot-monkey stuff, and many of the matches go way too long, but every match shows me something new, be it a move or a character or just a different way of doing things. I'm loving wrestling right now.

I don't think the "dirt sheet" was really all that heelish... More tongue and cheek, and definately funny as hell most of the time. Had alot of that HHH sense of humor in them, and I mean face HHH telling the spirit squad, "I'm sure your full of spirit, you probably pump each other with spirit every night!"

By far the funniest thing I've seen in years was that skit they did with "Festus" and the bell. The crowd was rolling as well. It was slapstick humor, and it was GOOD slapstick humor.

However, I've never seen him Shine as much as he does now (JOMO). To me he could reach the Main Event as a face, In fact I think they realise that. AT least as well as Rey Mysterio can. People will cheer for him, for example... If it's him vs. Sheamus, or The All American, American, American... And would be a believable win for him...

The Festus thing totally ruled.

To me, John Morrison needs a strong program. I think this for a lot of 'almost' guys. A strong feud with a bonafide main eventer would do wonders for him. He's had good matches. He's won. He's lost. He's talked a bit. Whatever. He's never had a truly bitter rivalry to help define him.

I'm currently remembering how awesome he was when he first turned babyface on Smackdown. He was stealing the show against guys like Jericho & Edge & Jeff & Rey Rey... If only he had some kind of storyline or feud in there. Could have put him over the top.

You are definitely not the only one who thinks that. The HIAC is a match where blood really drives home the brutality of it. Fear of blood and general PGishness has really removed the brutality from the match and then it becomes a "what's the point?" scenario.

I've always been of the opinion that blood isn't necessary. It helps, sure, but there are plenty of things you can do in a cage, without blood, that can get the HiaC over. Inventiveness and creativity can get you over an obstacle PG can put in your way.

Random question .... who are the guys who you enjoyed at one point but cannot stand anymore?

I personally loved Rey for most of his career and may have counted him as my favourite wrestler at one point but I have no intention of ever watching any Mysterio match that didn't happen in the 1990s now. Outside of maybe Kane, I don't think there is a more tedious, uninspiring wrestler in the WWE. Seriously, I think Flair's last 15 years in the business had less repetition and nonsense to be embarrassed about than Rey's last 2-3 years. Just the thought of seeing a guy slump over the second rope and hearing a bunch of 8 year old kids getting excited makes me want to puke.

Random question .... who are the guys who you enjoyed at one point but cannot stand anymore?

Christian for me. I find to be just boring and bland and he isnt interesting at all as a face. I loved Christian pre-TNA. The guy needs to lay off the spray tan alittle too

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BurningHamster" data-cite="BurningHamster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Random question .... who are the guys who you enjoyed at one point but cannot stand anymore?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Undertaker- I was never his biggest fan, but his entrance and gimmick have worn on me bad. When I still watched WWE on a regular basis I'd fast forward through his entrance to get to a promo that was half the length of his entrance...uuuhhh what? Have him do his entrance during the commercial break! The only time that entrance is cool is in person, and even after you've seen it once or twice it loses its cool factor. At least for me.</p><p> </p><p> Melina- I was a huge fan of her's in MNM and her singles push. Then, she got injured, came back, got injured again, came back, got injured again. Every time she comes back from an injury she's worse. Now she looks sloppy. Plus, the screaming schtick is Daffney's gimmick!</p><p> </p><p> Orton- At one point he was becoming one of my favorites...then he got boring. Then he started doing the mentally handicapped hissy fit crap and I just outright hate him now. People always talk about Cena's five moves of doom, yet they love Orton? He has his own set of five moves...</p><p> </p><p> Edge- His injuries make it hard to support him. Every time I get into a story line he gets put out of action for 6 months. I feel like out of the last 5 years he's spent 2.5 of them on the shelf. He's still one of my all time favorites, but its just hard to get behind someone who keeps getting hurt.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="b0shey" data-cite="b0shey" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This is stupid they kick Michael Tarver out of The Nexus and yet Ginger is still with them... Ginger was the first person that should have been kicked out.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Tarver has no charisma, sucks in the ring, and looks like an ugly Monty Brown...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>Undertaker- I was never his biggest fan, but his entrance and gimmick have worn on me bad. When I still watched WWE on a regular basis I'd fast forward through his entrance to get to a promo that was half the length of his entrance...uuuhhh what? Have him do his entrance during the commercial break! The only time that entrance is cool is in person, and even after you've seen it once or twice it loses its cool factor. At least for me.</strong><p> </p><p> Melina- I was a huge fan of her's in MNM and her singles push. Then, she got injured, came back, got injured again, came back, got injured again. Every time she comes back from an injury she's worse. Now she looks sloppy. Plus, the screaming schtick is Daffney's gimmick!</p><p> </p><p> Orton- At one point he was becoming one of my favorites...then he got boring. Then he started doing the mentally handicapped hissy fit crap and I just outright hate him now. People always talk about Cena's five moves of doom, yet they love Orton? He has his own set of five moves...</p><p> </p><p> Edge- His injuries make it hard to support him. Every time I get into a story line he gets put out of action for 6 months. I feel like out of the last 5 years he's spent 2.5 of them on the shelf. He's still one of my all time favorites, but its just hard to get behind someone who keeps getting hurt.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Same here i get bored watching his promo's and entrance</p>