The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="bigtplaystew" data-cite="bigtplaystew" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Not to sound like a total newb, but how can I watch NTX now? They aren't showing it on their site anymore. I wanna see what everyone's talking about :-(</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Here is last week's show. If I remember correctly, Seth Rollins & Kassius Ohno are on this one. </p><p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmpAC-dkmo4" rel="external nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmpAC-dkmo4</a></p><p> </p><p> I have only been able to find random people who have uploaded the show. Last I heard they were going to put the shows on WWE's Youtube page but they haven't yet.</p>

<p>Also:</p><p> </p><p>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jug7ELeAYA&feature=related" rel="external nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jug7ELeAYA&feature=related</a></p><p> </p><p>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=k07XrroeVpM" rel="external nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=k07XrroeVpM</a></p><p> </p><p>

Whoever was praising these Bray Wyatt promos before I completely agree with you. Absolutely fantastic video promo work. Cant wait to see if this fleshes out properly.</p>

<p>Those Bray Wyatt promos are SICK. Very intriguing stuff from him. I'd really like to see where that goes. I love dirty southern preacher/cult figures lol.</p><p> </p><p>

BTW slightly off topic but Micheal Parks is AWESOME in Red State witht his kinda role... anyway...</p><p> </p><p>

Yea. Bray Wyatt blows away Husky Harris.</p>

<p>I also love the Wyatt gimmick, but I cannot see him doing well once he's brought onto Raw or Smackdown. Not because he can't perform, but because of the type of show that WWE puts on. </p><p> </p><p>

WWE's storylines are rarely consistent, and I can't see Wyatt's gimmick working on the same show where the mystery GM turns out to be Hornswoggle, and John Cena is telling Star Wars jokes after getting the shit kicked out of him. There's too much fluff. I can see it now: Wyatt doing something dark and edgy, and it gets followed up by Brodus dancing in the ring with kids. </p><p> </p><p>

They just need to get rid of Vince, and put the doofus son in law in charge already. At least he seems to have an idea of what makes sense on television.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="djthefunkchris" data-cite="djthefunkchris" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I've heard this before, but can't find anything (quotes or video's) that support that's what its about. Right around the time they changed their name to WWE I heard this very strongly, but found that they couldn't use the term WWF anymore, because it was taken by someone else. I heard it again when they changed to just WWE, but when I look around for actual facts about it, I here that it has to do with them going into other area's, and produced by World Wrestling Entertainment, doesn't sound right for movies (and whatever other area's/business ventures they are talking about). Perhaps people close to Vince (or "them") might have said something, but... It's hard for me to take anyone's word if they have any bitterness in them. If (for example), someone could show me something from HHH or Cena or even Punk that said something similar, I could probably understand where these thoughts come from more easily.<p> </p><p> Other then that, just saying "Everyone knows why" or "It's completely obvious" etc.. It can make sense, but it also makes sense what the actual comments I've read said. I mean, from another interview Vince did a few years back, they asked what he would do if WWE fell, and he said he was only sure that he would be in the wrestling business in some capacity, because he loved it more then anything. Doesn't sound like someone embarrassed to be in Wrestling, to me. Perhaps embarrassed to act as if it's an actual sport (I would feel foolish if I acted like that), but not the business itself.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> chris, are you familiar with branding? WWE's name change (from 'World Wrestling Entertainment' to 'WWE'), as a public company, must be spelled out and explained.....in shareholder reports. This is no different from when 'Kentucky Fried Chicken' changed its name to 'KFC'. They wanted to do more than "just" fried chicken. Do you even know what 'ESPN' stands for? Perhaps you don't (without consulting google) because the name was unwieldy (Entertainment Sports Programming Network) so it was shortened to an acronym. Do you know what AARP used to stand for? Why did they do away with that name (American Association of Retired Persons)? Maybe it's because, by its very nature, calling something 'American' excludes an international audience and restricting it to people of (supposedly) fixed incomes (Retired Persons) meant you were limiting the possible membership base. Now, anyone 50 years or older can join AARP, <strong><em>anywhere in the world</em></strong>. Likewise, KFC can now serve fish (like they do in <a href="https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=14&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=kfc+shrimp+sandwich" rel="external nofollow">many countries outside the US</a>) without their name being an albatross.</p><p> </p><p> WWE changed its name from the full name to the abbreviation for the exact same reason. Do you really need Vince or Linda or HHH to tell that to Barbara Walters or Anderson Cooper? The reason was obvious to anyone who has ever opened a marketing book in their lives. So yes, it's completely obvious as to the reason they did it. It has nothing to do with being embarrassed about anything (I'm sure KFC is not embarrassed to be serving chicken, AARP isn't embarrassed to be representing "seasoned citizens", and ESPN is certainly not bashful about programming and promoting sports in an entertaining fashion), it has to do with expanding your options.</p><p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.slate.com/articles/business/ad_report_card/2004/05/alphabet_soup.html" rel="external nofollow">Here's a decent article</a> explaining the phenomenon.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>She was quite possibly the lowest point of WWE Divas.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I disagree. The lowest point of WWE Divas was <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIlc085frOc" rel="external nofollow">this one right here</a>. Notice who is the champion/holding the title. You can't get much worse than that.</p><p> </p><p> Honestly, I think putting Triple H in talent relations was a masterstroke. If you want to find top shelf workers who can work and work within your product and hopefully get to the top tier of your business, it's probably in your best interest to scout them with someone who can work, work within your product, and has gotten to the top tier of your business. Hunter's probably the best choice because he has a vested interest in seeing the business continue to grow and succeed (if nothing else, those vested interests are named Aurora Rose, Murphy Claire, and Vaughn Evelyn). That sets him apart from the Shawn Michaels, Glen Jacobs, Adam Copelands, and Takers (who would also be good choices IMO). They've got a bumper crop of talent now that they didn't have with Johnny as the primary TR person. People who can work (in-ring and out) and not just have killer looks.</p>

<p>Ok, thanks Remi... So basically, </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I here that it has to do with them going into other area's, and produced by World Wrestling Entertainment, doesn't sound right for movies (and whatever other area's/business ventures they are talking about).</div></blockquote><p> Summed it up.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Arrows" data-cite="Arrows" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I hope the gimmick sticks, and I hope you're right with the Flock reference. How often do we see cult followings actually HAVE a cult following though? I just don't see creative knowing how to use this effectively.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> They tried it with Punk's SES group but aside from a few decent segments with Rey Mysterio the whole thing fizzled out. Then they tried it again with Punk taking over the remnants of Nexus which thankfully didn't last long.</p><p> </p><p> Could be good to have a cult group if creative put some long term thought into it instead of half-assing it.</p><p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.wrestlenewz.com/wrestling/wwe-news/video-fcw-divas-promo-with-paige-britani-knight-that-was-deleted-off-youtube/" rel="external nofollow">Paige Anti-Diva Promo</a></p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="djthefunkchris" data-cite="djthefunkchris" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ok, thanks Remi... So basically, <p> </p><p> Summed it up.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I may have misread the discussion here, but the WWE name - and the dissociation from the WWF - is because the WWF(World Wildlife Fund) sued them and won a copyright infringement case. Not really anything to do with branding... although it had everything to do with why they chose WWE instead of reverting back to WWWF.</p><p> </p><p> Overall though, a lot of revisionists history in that post. ESPN was always an acronym(and it was always designed to be one) KFC went to KFC mostly because everybody was already referring to it as just KFC. AARP has become the defacto only because of the wildly successful AARP card. If you get a bill or a notice from them the letterhead still says American Association of Retired Persons. They haven't run from it at all, that's just the most culturally prevalent term, so they take advantage of it.</p><p> </p><p> The WWE did that for the very same reason. People remember the logo, the logo is what's important. I could ask you to name 10 wrestlers from the WWF in 1993, and you probably could, but you'd have to think about it. If I asked you to picture the logo. I bet you could call it up in your minds eye on demand.</p><p> </p><p> That's how our brains work, and that's how branding works. The longer an average person takes to remember you the less likely they are to buy your merch as they're walking through Walmart, or Toys R' Us. The minute you see that logo, if you know,you know immediately what that is. And with everything competing for your eyeballs, and shelf space, that's all that matters. Brand Continuity: they were petrified of losing it, and that's why they drug that case out for as long as they possibly could have. Nothing to do with movies, which I don't even think was on the table in 2002.</p>

<p>WWF is now WWE because of a lawsuit. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe we should think about that before we post mildly insulting paragraphs where we're incorrectly explaining stuff.</p><p> </p><p>

You can argue "branding" all you want to, but they didn't change their name until, well, they lost the lawsuit.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="milamber" data-cite="milamber" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> <a href="http://www.wrestlenewz.com/wrestling/wwe-news/video-fcw-divas-promo-with-paige-britani-knight-that-was-deleted-off-youtube/" rel="external nofollow">Paige Anti-Diva Promo</a></p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The promo is horrible. "I don't want to wear a fake stray-tan, and do my hair" she says, while she clearly took more than an hour to do her hair and makeup and about ten people to help her into those pants. I haven't rubbed my temples this hard since America Ferriera was cast to play "Ugly" Betty. At least they had the common sense to actually "ugly her up" though...</p>

<p>People are liking Bray Wyatt now he has a gimmick besides Husky Harris. Another NXT guy I was all about (like Heath Slater) that everyone else wasn't sold on. Seriously guys, the dude was good from the start but you guys need some kind of "blowing up my dad's shrimp boat" promo to believe in a guy? </p><p> </p><p>

You guys disappoint me.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BurningHamster" data-cite="BurningHamster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>People are liking Bray Wyatt now he has a gimmick besides Husky Harris. Another NXT guy I was all about (like Heath Slater) that everyone else wasn't sold on. Seriously guys, the dude was good from the start but you guys need some kind of "blowing up my dad's shrimp boat" promo to believe in a guy? <p> </p><p> You guys disappoint me.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Dude, Burning Hamster was into Husky Harris BEFORE he was good...</p><p> </p><p> He's totally cooler than us.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BurningHamster" data-cite="BurningHamster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>People are liking Bray Wyatt now he has a gimmick besides Husky Harris. Another NXT guy I was all about (like Heath Slater) that everyone else wasn't sold on. Seriously guys, the dude was good from the start but you guys need some kind of "blowing up my dad's shrimp boat" promo to believe in a guy? <p> </p><p> You guys disappoint me.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Nope both still suck, one is doing an nice out of the box gimmick and an ok job at it and the other is a decent seller no more.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Hyde Hill" data-cite="Hyde Hill" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Nope both still suck, one is doing an nice out of the box gimmick and an ok job at it and the other is a decent seller no more.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> So very, very incorrect.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BurningHamster" data-cite="BurningHamster" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>People are liking Bray Wyatt now he has a gimmick besides Husky Harris. Another NXT guy I was all about (like Heath Slater) that everyone else wasn't sold on. Seriously guys, the dude was good from the start but you guys need some kind of "blowing up my dad's shrimp boat" promo to believe in a guy? <p> </p><p> You guys disappoint me.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Only NXT season 1 guys I had a problem with were Otunga (He botched his finisher horribly his first time out, has never impressed since), and Gabriel (the third Hardy Boy, who couldn't leap to the top rope and had a completely stupid looking outfit.) Gabriel's grown on me. Otunga can go jump off a bridge.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="LoNdOn" data-cite="LoNdOn" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So very, very incorrect.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah sorry I may have overreacted I still have to see more of them and in a more meaningful role before I can make a truly informed decision. They are both showing some promise but I am not convinced by a long way yet. I just feel that with the current state of the total product anything is even slightly good gets over reacted too atm.</p>

<p>All the "first class" NXT guys were fine in-ring workers (except Otunga) but I felt they all had a rough time establishing themselves as personalities (except Otunga). </p><p> </p><p>

Otunga really is excellent at generating heat. People truly despise him. Alot of heels right now are so fun to watch that we cheer for them. Otunga is really special at drawing out that hatred from the crowd. And his ring work has improved a bit. If you ask me he's still the weakest from that initial NXT/Nexus crew in the ring, but at least he's not stand-out bad like he was.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Makhai" data-cite="Makhai" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I may have misread the discussion here, but the WWE name - and the dissociation from the WWF - is because the WWF(World Wildlife Fund) sued them and won a copyright infringement case. Not really anything to do with branding... although it had everything to do with why they chose WWE instead of reverting back to WWWF.<p> </p><p> Overall though, a lot of revisionists history in that post. ESPN was always an acronym(and it was always designed to be one) KFC went to KFC mostly because everybody was already referring to it as just KFC. AARP has become the defacto only because of the wildly successful AARP card. If you get a bill or a notice from them the letterhead still says American Association of Retired Persons. They haven't run from it at all, that's just the most culturally prevalent term, so they take advantage of it.</p><p> </p><p> The WWE did that for the very same reason. People remember the logo, the logo is what's important. I could ask you to name 10 wrestlers from the WWF in 1993, and you probably could, but you'd have to think about it. If I asked you to picture the logo. I bet you could call it up in your minds eye on demand.</p><p> </p><p> That's how our brains work, and that's how branding works. The longer an average person takes to remember you the less likely they are to buy your merch as they're walking through Walmart, or Toys R' Us. The minute you see that logo, if you know,you know immediately what that is. And with everything competing for your eyeballs, and shelf space, that's all that matters. Brand Continuity: they were petrified of losing it, and that's why they drug that case out for as long as they possibly could have. Nothing to do with movies, which I don't even think was on the table in 2002.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="bigtplaystew" data-cite="bigtplaystew" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>WWF is now WWE because of a lawsuit. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe we should think about that before we post mildly insulting paragraphs where we're incorrectly explaining stuff.<p> </p><p> You can argue "branding" all you want to, but they didn't change their name until, well, they lost the lawsuit.</p></div></blockquote><p> No one was talking about the change from WWF to WWE. They were talking about the change from World Wrestling Entertainment to just WWE.</p><p> </p><p> The name of the company isn't World Wrestling Entertainment any more, it's WWE.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>No one was talking about the change from WWF to WWE. They were talking about the change from World Wrestling Entertainment to just WWE.<p> </p><p> The name of the company isn't World Wrestling Entertainment any more, it's WWE.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Kinda makes the</p><p> </p><p> "Maybe we should think about that before we post mildly insulting paragraphs where we're incorrectly explaining stuff."</p><p> </p><p> a little more amusing, 'eh?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="bigtplaystew" data-cite="bigtplaystew" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>All the "first class" NXT guys were fine in-ring workers (except Otunga) but I felt they all had a rough time establishing themselves as personalities (except Otunga). <p> </p><p> Otunga really is excellent at generating heat. People truly despise him. Alot of heels right now are so fun to watch that we cheer for them. Otunga is really special at drawing out that hatred from the crowd. And his ring work has improved a bit. If you ask me he's still the weakest from that initial NXT/Nexus crew in the ring, but at least he's not stand-out bad like he was.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Otunga's got all the upside you could ask for. The man's well spoken, intelligent, in amazing condition, and working the WWE style seems to be natural to him.</p><p> </p><p> He's only got two actual problems holding him back, and both can be fixed. He needs to take some time away from in ring action and work with someone who actually knows how to wrestle. Let someone like Bryan or Punk spend some time working with him, and there's no telling how much of a change we could see.</p><p> </p><p> Then they need to quit making him the jobber to the main eventers. If he's shown as unable to hold his own, no one's ever going to take him serious. Doesn't matter how talented someone is, if they're never presented as a challenger, they're never going to BE a challenger. With the right push and a little hard work, I could see Otunga holding the WWE title someday.</p>

From .net

WWE has moved Kharma to the Alumni section of their website. "Getting a flood of (direct messages)," Kharma wrote on Twitter. "I guess the can't out of the bag. Yes, I have been officially promoted to the alumni section of the WWE roster."

Man she has been having a lot of bad luck if its a true release. Hope she is happy personally and that it was an amicable split.

They tried it with Punk's SES group but aside from a few decent segments with Rey Mysterio the whole thing fizzled out. Then they tried it again with Punk taking over the remnants of Nexus which thankfully didn't last long.

SES - routinely squashed by Big Show

New Nexus - routineley squashed by Orton

Because why push hot new talent, when you can keep forcing guys who've been on top forever?