The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I have no doubt that punk will hold up his end, he's a great talent.

Punk got 75-80% of the offense. from all three reports, ryback sold for punk very well during the match, and even engaged in a bit of chain wrestling with him. This is kinda going against the inital smark reports that ryback can't sell someone offense and can't engage in a long form match because he doesn't know how to do anythign but squash.

What is being reported from this weekend is a long form 15-20 minute match where ryback was able to sell the champs offense and look like he belonged in a match longer than 2 minutes. Is some of that punk? of course, he's an amazing ring general. but that only goes so far, and people are apparently impressed with rybacks ability to add to a match

Could be that Ryback's improved, but then that might give the initial smark opinion credibility, whatever a smark is and labelling others like that is just childish, and that seems to be something some people here hate to do. Curious that the opinion of a 'smark' is downplayed and dismissed when it paints Ryback in a negative light but when it talks positively of Ryback, hey, it's magically meaningful and taken as almost gospel. Wonder why?

Even if Ryback can go 15 minutes and look passable, and WWE will almost certainly insist on the match going like that, that isn't what got Ryback over. It's not what people want out of a Ryback match. They want Ryback to come in, kick the crap out of people, toss them around the ring and then hit his finisher. Anything else, well, it might get a good reaction and Ryback might even look like a passable worker, but it's not what brought Ryback to the dance. It's not what got him over. Will Ryback still be over when WWE have him working WWE main event style matches? We'll see, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Could be that Ryback's improved, but then that might give the initial smark opinion credibility, whatever a smark is and labelling others like that is just childish, and that seems to be something some people here hate to do. Curious that the opinion of a 'smark' is downplayed and dismissed when it paints Ryback in a negative light but when it talks positively of Ryback, hey, it's magically meaningful and taken as almost gospel. Wonder why?

Because Ryback's awesome??

The real question is why are you this angry over pro wrestling all the time? Ever consider maybe this isn't for you?

Even if Ryback can go 15 minutes and look passable, and WWE will almost certainly insist on the match going like that, that isn't what got Ryback over. It's not what people want out of a Ryback match. They want Ryback to come in, kick the crap out of people, toss them around the ring and then hit his finisher. Anything else, well, it might get a good reaction and Ryback might even look like a passable worker, but it's not what brought Ryback to the dance. It's not what got him over. Will Ryback still be over when WWE have him working WWE main event style matches? We'll see, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I don't remember saying the initial reports were by morons or something, just that they were that ryback couldn't sell in OVW and that he couldn't do anything else than a squash script. Now fans, if you don't like the completely harmless term of smark, are reporting differently. That's all that post was about.

I'm certainly a "smark", and i've never considered the term offensive. It just means a person who's into the behind the scenes stuff, don't know why you got so defensive.

Wait, they were relieving AJ of her duties because she's fraternizing with a superstar and then replace her with Vickie?

Do they watch their own product?

Apparently, Edge, Eric Escobar, and Dolph Ziggler were never in storyline relationships with her :rolleyes:

Just means more of WWE RAW will be spent muted since her voice to me is the same as nails on a chalkboard.

So, your logic is that Ryback should never have more than a squash match? It will never get old? People want to see the exact same thing over and over ad nauseum?

You sound like the worst parody of WWE Creative. "It works, keep doing it! Never change, ever!"

Even Cena's changed over the years.

Wait, they were relieving AJ of her duties because she's fraternizing with a superstar and then replace her with Vickie?

Do they watch their own product?

Apparently, Edge, Eric Escobar, and Dolph Ziggler were never in storyline relationships with her :rolleyes:

If she was only a manager and not GM (the boss) she wasn't breaking any rules (can't speak for the Edge relationship as I didn't watch WWE then). Anyway, Vince and the board were (kayfabe) looking for a non-discriminatory excuse to fire AJ for being crazy.

Best parts of Raw:

Luchadors vs Rhodes Scholars - High quality tag match, especially by WWE standards.

Gabriel vs Cesaro - Cesaro is awesome and Gabriel is improving.

Heyman/Vickie/AJ segment.

Bryan vs Ziggler - Match of the show. Lots of exciting spots. Ziggler's ring post bump looked nasty.

Lumberjacks feeding Punk to Ryback.

If she was only a manager and not GM (the boss) she wasn't breaking any rules (can't speak for the Edge relationship as I didn't watch WWE then). Anyway, Vince and the board were (kayfabe) looking for a non-discriminatory excuse to fire AJ for being crazy.

you know, I still, after all these years get mad when they treat us as if we have the memory of goldfish.

Example: why on earth is Vince in charge? I didn't imagine that whole uncomfortable "I love you pops!" storyline where the old man got put out to pasture right?

I'm not even asking for an indepth angle, just throw me a bone here WWE. run a story on your website about Vince being brought back on board, have a 5 minute backstage segment where a heel brings up these points and says "he can't tell me what to do!" and then Vince comes up and says "well, I can because x"

I recognize that I'm asking them to spend more time storytelling than they do, and that you have to shut your brain off at some point and accept the randomness, but jeez, it was a 3 month MAIN EVENT storyline people. can't I get a quick half arse explanation as to why he's back at the helm?

you know, I still, after all these years get mad when they treat us as if we have the memory of goldfish.

Example: why on earth is Vince in charge? I didn't imagine that whole uncomfortable "I love you pops!" storyline where the old man got put out to pasture right?

because he is still chairman of the board, but HHH is running the day to day operations?

So pretty much whenever the board gets involved he gets an excuse to exercise power.

Hooray, watching RAW earlier than I usually manage to so that I can read people's thoughts. :) I thought this as a very enjoyable episode of RAW. There were some very good matches on the show, I love that they are still building a tag team division again and there are some PPV matches I'm looking forward to. Ryback/Punk is something I'm greatly looking forward to, I've liked Ryback since he was Skip Sheffield on NXT and saw a lot of potential in him there... didn't think he'd get this kind of push ever, but he's done well with it and I'm confident we'll get a pretty good match between him and Punk. I hope Punk wins, but I see Ryback looking good in defeat and losing an unbeaten streak to the champ means you can start doing other things with him, which should open him up creatively. :)

Rhodes Scholars are awesome. First time I saw them on TV I was very happy and it's awesome to see the WWE running with them. :D

Ziggler/Bryan was a fantastic match.... I would love to see a program between the two of them in the future based on how good that match was. I can already see their personalities and styles clashing, which could lead to some tremendous character stuff. :)

So yeah... I'm looking forward to the PPV but I've got no idea how I'm gonna avoid spoilers for long on that. Might have to go into shutdown mode even on the forum here until I can see it, which will be tough. Such is the downside of everything interesting happening in USA time, I just can't watch things live here like I would if I lived over there. :(

So, your logic is that Ryback should never have more than a squash match? It will never get old? People want to see the exact same thing over and over ad nauseum?

You sound like the worst parody of WWE Creative. "It works, keep doing it! Never change, ever!"

Even Cena's changed over the years.

You could not miss my point more if you tried.

Not only that, you've ascribed to me statements I never made or even hinted at. I never said Ryback should never have more than a squash match. I never said it wouldn't get old. I never said people want to see the same thing over and over ad nauseum. You haven't just missed my point; you've missed my point and wandered into a completely different argument that I never made. It's quite remarkable.

I will simplify my argument, making it simple as possible, so that even you cannot miss the point being made;

Messing with a winning formula might not be a good idea.

You could not miss my point more if you tried.

Not only that, you've ascribed to me statements I never made or even hinted at. I never said Ryback should never have more than a squash match. I never said it wouldn't get old. I never said people want to see the same thing over and over ad nauseum. You haven't just missed my point; you've missed my point and wandered into a completely different argument that I never made. It's quite remarkable.

I will simplify my argument, making it simple as possible, so that even you cannot miss the point being made;

Messing with a winning formula might not be a good idea.

So what's the logical extension? You don't want to mess with the formula, which is Ryback having two minute squashes.

He's in a match with CM Punk at HIAC. So either he should squash him, or it's messing with the formula. What's your idea for what *should* happen to keep Ryback over with the crowd?