The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

I've read a lot of cynicism with WWE-visionist history playing a big part of the depiction of WCW on the network. Most of you guys seem to feel like WWE doesn't give them enough credit.

I honestly disagree.

With all due respect to WCW Monday Nitro circa mid 1996, it was an unwatchable show if Scott Hall and Kevin Nash weren't on it. Only children and the most hardcore of adults fans could sit through a full episode of that crap. Sting got cool towards the end of that year, but all this talk of "They were kicking out butts creatively" is absurd. They had one concept and did something very cool with it. The rest of WCW's card, even as the years went on, was mostly garbage. The cruiserweights and the Flock and some cool midcard stories make for good memories, but we forget the rest of the garbage that flooded those horrendous two and then three hours. Raw was trash too, don't get me wrong. Right before oth companies hit their biggest heights they were both doing pretty bad TV from top to bottom. The two companies were basically guilty of the same exact thing at the time: A well developed main event picture and a horrible underdeveloped everything else.

Things got better for them once they both started ripping off ECW but that's another rant entirely.

TL;DR: WCW sucked just as bad as WWF when Hall and Nash first jumped ship. No more. No less.

I'll be honest, I may have been a little hasty, and maybe even a little harsh with my post on the matter. Truth is, WCW was my favorite promotion back then, (it was the promotion I grew up with really, plus I loved the cruiserweights and still do, and Hall & Nash were two of my favorite wrestlers, so I loved the nWo). Whenever I hear, or in this case read about, WWE being rough on WCW, I get a little defensive, a little emotional, and maybe, just maybe, post before I have time to really think about it. In all honesty, I'm nowhere near as anti-WWE as (I think) I may sometimes come across in my posts.

I do feel better now after posting this though.

:o

Apparently a Sky Sports rep says that the UK will be getting the same version of WWE Network as Canada. :rolleyes:

According to what I've heard WWE didnt really have plans to release the network on 11/3 and only got so close to show Sky that they were willing to go on with the network without them.

That's screwed up

and on the subject of WCW (who was already trading ratings wins even before the outsiders) it was much more than just the action of the show that made them better. The presentation of the product was also a big deal, they also came right in with huge TV matches right off the bat as well, it was a lot more than just certain talent or quality, it was an entirely new style of marketing televised wrestling.

According to what I've heard WWE didnt really have plans to release the network on 11/3 and only got so close to show Sky that they were willing to go on with the network without them.

That's screwed up

and on the subject of WCW (who was already trading ratings wins even before the outsiders) it was much more than just the action of the show that made them better. The presentation of the product was also a big deal, they also came right in with huge TV matches right off the bat as well, it was a lot more than just certain talent or quality, it was an entirely new style of marketing televised wrestling.

I live in the UK and i refuse to pay for Sky, Sky Sports and Box Office for WWE so i find other means, I would pay if it was a reasonable price

I live in the UK and i refuse to pay for Sky, Sky Sports and Box Office for WWE so i find other means, I would pay if it was a reasonable price

I don't have the Sky Sports package as, quite frankly, I refuse to pay the price just so I can watch the odd football match and recorded Raw. I was looking forward to an On Demand service for WWE, but if it becomes a normal channel, I just won't bother with it at all.

NXT Review:

Breeze vs Zayn - Good match. Breeze dominated but Zayn pulled out the victory once again, paralleling his Road to Redemption storyline. I enjoyed A-Ry calling Breeze the true #1 contender and Zayn a choke artist.

Wilder vs Kidd - Solid match won by Kidd. Wilder's developing a similar build to Michael Elgin and he looks decent in the ring.

Banks & Lynch vs Bayley & Charlotte - Great match combining 2 budding feuds. Sasha pinned Bayley with a handful of tights. There was more quality character work in this match than the main roster divas get in an entire month's worth of shows and none of it involved cringeworthy promo delivery or lesbian innuendo.

The Ascension vs Itami & Balor - No match but a strong beatdown from the babyfaces involving lots of kicks and stomps to "This is awesome!" chants.

Verdict: Possibly the best non-PPV NXT show all year.

tumblr_nemr8g4bNO1s066k8o1_r1_400.gif

That Markus promo on NXT felt nice. It looked like he's embarking on some sort of acolyte gimmick. Please have him debut as one of Bray Wyatt's acolytes somewhere along the road.

Unfortunately the version of NXT I watch has a lot of backstage stuff cut out so I missed that segment.

Smackdown Review:

The Usos vs The Dust Bros (Tag Team Championship) - Good match. Kudos on the rare tag team cage match but the Usos getting another title shot when Los Matadores have just beaten the Champs twice is illogical booking. How about some new tag teams like The Ascension and Kofi & Big E (with Woods as manager) to freshen up the division?

Cesaro vs Ryback - Solid Survivor Series audition match set up by Kane, won by Ryback.

Truth vs Rose - Rose got jealous of the Bunny and attacked him.

The Peep Show with Ambrose - Solid promo from Dean. Bray showed up and we got an explanation for the feud. He wants to heal and fix Ambrose like he did Rowan and Harper. Then he mentioned Dean's father abandoning him and sending him postcards from prison. Ambrose lost it and Bray disappeared, reappeared behind him and disappeared again. And just like that the feud is now interesting.

Natalya vs Summer - OK match won by Summer. Kidd was on commentary comparing himself to Wayne Gretzky for assisting Rusev by weakening Sheamus on Raw. I'll watch any Total Divas segment so long as Kidd's involved.

Ziggler vs Kane - Good cage match. Ziggler won after a unique spot where he was hung up on top of the open cage door.

Verdict: I wish Smackdown were this good every week.

Just read that the fans at Raw are chanting "Where's our Network?"

Kudos.

Something else to note is that normally the ring apron will say WWE Network on the side of it. However since they were in the UK and the fact that the UK doesn't have the network they didn't have "WWE Network" on the apron during the show.

CM Punk is writing for Thor. Well well well... the part time outsider coming in for the big payday and taking the spot of the guys who do it day in and day out doesn't seem like such a bad gig after all I guess.

I wouldn't quite say that. From what I've read this looks to end up being a long term gig - in other words, a job. So it's less a big pay day and more I a regular pay cheque.

CM Punk is writing for Thor. Well well well... the part time outsider coming in for the big payday and taking the spot of the guys who do it day in and day out doesn't seem like such a bad gig after all I guess.

It's hardly the same as taking a physical beating for 50 weeks a year only to be passed up for a guy who works 3 matches and from the looks of things he's at least going to be somewhat regular.

if the rumours of Reigns vs Lesnar is true

i been thinking that Rollins might lose his money in the bank to Reigns, and announce his cash in as a match like RVD did once

also does anyone know when Cena gets his title shot

Survivor Series has me pumped for the first time in ages, so i am taking a bit more interest than usual, still only reading results not watching, but i imagine i will watch the PPV