The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

I wouldve fired 3D and never hired the Nastys and then built a tag division around my relevant talent.

And no..I dont think we've even gone back to the game since Val showed up.

Dude I would have faded out 3D but just firing them? No. Name Value, always a threat even if lose all the time, experience, decent promos. Semi Active sure, fade out over time sure, outright fire no.

Dude I would have faded out 3D but just firing them? No. Name Value, always a threat even if lose all the time, experience, decent promos. Semi Active sure, fade out over time sure, outright fire no.

Right. But whenever this issue gets brought up, you want TNA to hire everyone and anyone and then still try to run coherent storylines.

IMO they need to cut the roster by almost half. And 3D have served their purpose.

3D have helped elevate Both Beer Money and British Invasion they are doing their job just fine. Was it a downstep for Morgan and Hernandez sure but they didn't have any other Main Event, Upper Midcard talent for them to fight at that time.

But this is exactly why TNA doesn't really build new stars, in my opinion. You bring in Nigel McGuiness and put him right into a feud with Kurt Angle. That's big. Then what are they going to follow it up with? He gets less TV time than the Nasty Boys here. That can't be a good sign. After they did the same thing with both Morgan and Hernandez. You push workers in a position to elevate them and don't....

But this is exactly why TNA doesn't really build new stars, in my opinion. You bring in Nigel McGuiness and put him right into a feud with Kurt Angle. That's big. Then what are they going to follow it up with? He gets less TV time than the Nasty Boys here. That can't be a good sign. After they did the same thing with both Morgan and Hernandez. You push workers in a position to elevate them and don't....

very much reminds of of WCW... I know people might be getting sick of the comparison. But how many times were Misterio, Benoit, Storm, Awesome, even Kidman at a point where all they needed was "that win" or to be really taken seriously but then WCW would simply lower them back down the card? Granted, they would go back down the card and have great matches with other talent they refused to elevate... but TNA is now doing the same thing.

I agree with the follow up and better use of time but less workers does not equete better use of time. Makes it easier to focus on some guys sure as you are forced to. But at the same time restricts your options. But that is a separate discussion. I would fire everyone without a potential use and effectively use up the usefulness of the over guys. The underscored part is where they fail generally but not in the case of 3D imho.

So no RVD? Damn!

Well it wasn't what I would have liked to have seen, but I'm glad I watched it.

I'm hoping Jan 14th is better and I'm not going to read spoilers.

Hopefully Genesis is a good PPV and we will see some of Hogans boys slowly fade away along with some of the current dead weight seeing the door with them.

Guest cmdrsam

Ok boys we can debate till the cows come home. Was I entertained yes. could it be booked better, yes. Wrestling for the most part was crappy. Aj/ Angle was by far the best. Kong/Haman winning Tag belts, I thought was the next best. We has "hardcore fans" are gonna rip whatever move they make to shreds. But perhaps we are failing to see a bigger picture. Tna is trying to recapture the casual fan. Maybe fans that saw the big E kill off WCW star after star. Remeber the Invasion Angle? That could have been far better couldnt it?

Questionable roster additions? Perhaps. But whats to say most of them were one night shots? Are the Nasty Boys as good as they were in the day? No, is anybody? But can it serve a purpose? I think it can. Niedart wrestling Jay Lethal looked painfull for him. But Tatanka still looked good in a quick match. Heck even Steamboat in a quick match still entertained.

I guess what I am trying to say is this. Lets just see what develops. I want so bad for them to make this work. Why, becasue it will make the WWE better. And it will force TNA to either get better or you to will fall to the WCW wasteside. Just my two cents worth. And Hyde, I was only teasing brother. Hope you took my smart a** remarks as tongue in check as that is what I meant.

Fun night. I was mainly watching RAW, but I had Impact on next to it, and paid attention for a few bits. The Pope is a good promo, although I have no idea who his doppleganger was supposed to be. His match with Nigel was good too, although that's mainly because I like how Nigel works an arm. Angle/AJ was great, but I kinda jumped in at the middle. Could have sworn they were fighting on PPV.

Jeff's screaming tween fans ruled.

Exactly. From what I've seen, the Nigel/Angle feud was great, and despite not coming out on the winning end, Nigel was still put in a position to be a big contributor going forward. And now, he seems to be a complete afterthought. That's a huge waste.

Guest cmdrsam
I was entertained cmdrsam no worries it made the agony lighter hehe.

Good, wasn't getting any responses out of you so I thought I would back off. I personnally want looking for RVD to be there, but was surprised no Kennedy.

This.

very much reminds of of WCW... I know people might be getting sick of the comparison. But how many times were Misterio, Benoit, Storm, Awesome, even Kidman at a point where all they needed was "that win" or to be really taken seriously but then WCW would simply lower them back down the card? Granted, they would go back down the card and have great matches with other talent they refused to elevate... but TNA is now doing the same thing.

And this.

Hyde Hill, I respect the fact that you're a TNA fan, but my criticism has nothing to do with the company specifically so much as it's a theory on writing for TV in general.

When you have too many characters, then it becomes too hard to give proper time for each individual character's story to be told.

They have..what..60 guys on the roster? Not counting whoever is signed or will be signed soon? And two hours of prgoramming each week? and they've made it a point to dedicate at least 20 minutes to the Knockouts?

Not possible. Which is why Impact is such a hot mess most of the time.

Exactly. From what I've seen, the Nigel/Angle feud was great, and despite not coming out on the winning end, Nigel was still put in a position to be a big contributor going forward. And now, he seems to be a complete afterthought. That's a huge waste.

Unless I missed him, Christopher Daniels wasn't used AT ALL.

Coming off of two spectacular PPV matches and another great match with Nigel on Impact.

I agree with the follow up and better use of time but less workers does not equete better use of time. Makes it easier to focus on some guys sure as you are forced to. But at the same time restricts your options. But that is a separate discussion. I would fire everyone without a potential use and effectively use up the usefulness of the over guys. The underscored part is where they fail generally but not in the case of 3D imho.

So no RVD? Damn!

Getting those guys to the cusp is the relative easy part, so long as they have a bit of talent. Put them in a position to let that talent shine, especially against the top talent - like Angle. But taking that focus away is basically just making it a big waste of time. They need to long-term plan and have something for the guys they come out of that big feud, some way to keep them relevant and near the top. This is a big weakness of TNA booking, in my opinion.

I really really hope that isn't the case... but looking like an afterthought on this show makes it seem very possible.

Overall, I was entertained. Seeing all those 'names' was cool in a very visceral markish kind of way.

But I've never not watched TNA because of the roster. I've always stayed away because of the booking. Because I though they made bad decisions on who to push. And because the storylines were ridiculous.

And sadly nothing on this show made me think that's going to be fixed.

In 3 weeks, if Impact is more of the same I won't be a regular viewer.