The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

Source: Poster from Wrestlingforum.com

I did a little digging at previous going up against the NFL Season opener. Any american can probably fill in if its not fair to compare it for some reason. I just post the numbers.

2007 September 6th = 1.02, down from the previous week 1.05

2008 September 4th = 1.03, down from the previous week 1.05

2009 September 10th = 0.93, down from the previous week 0.96.

Its barely a drop. I can understand if this is a bigger game but I still cant see how it would hurt them THAT much.

Source: Poster from Wrestlingforum.com

I did a little digging at previous going up against the NFL Season opener. Any american can probably fill in if its not fair to compare it for some reason. I just post the numbers.

2007 September 6th = 1.02, down from the previous week 1.05

2008 September 4th = 1.03, down from the previous week 1.05

2009 September 10th = 0.93, down from the previous week 0.96.

Its barely a drop. I can understand if this is a bigger game but I still cant see how it would hurt them THAT much.

Interesting. And the Saints-Vikings will be a HUGE and much hyped game, but not any more so than any other season opener imo

Again...maybe TNA isn't on Spike's list of favorites right now. That's all I've got.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="brashleyholland" data-cite="brashleyholland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Completely agree with this. It does irk me tremendously when I see something copy-pasted onto an MMA NEWZ site or forum and think "Hmm, that looks familiar...oh yes, I wrote it" :-p<p> </p><p> The long and short of it is that <strong>even if you link back, who needs to click it if the entire article is posted? That's taking money out of my pocket as far as I'm concerned. </strong></p><p> </p><p> I guess it's the nature of the internet though...</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think you nailed it on the head thats the nature of the internet. I don't agree with people copy and pasting without giving credit but as a message board leader I hate when people say "BIG NEWS" and just post a link. I came to this site and if you're not going to tell me on this site don't tell me at all. I rarely click links just because its a hassle, you click the link, sometimes you have to scroll down to see where its posted, or read a giant column when you only care about one part. </p><p> </p><p> Not too mention there are about zero internet columnists that I follow since really I don't need someone else's opinion on something when I have my own. </p><p> </p><p> That being said as someone who worked hard on something like that I wouldn't want it taken either but as you said its the nature of the internet. Once you put it out there its free for anyone to use any way they wish.</p>

I might be more inclined to watch the show if it was live. Usually by the time Thursday rolls around, I'll have succumbed to the temptation to read spoilers, and the spoilers tend to convince me not to watch. Don't think it'll make the show better, but whatever makes them happy.

So is she saying that going live is the changing forever? Or is she saying when they go live is when she's going to show what will change forever?

Bah either way I don't care, TNA changes forever every week, twice on Sundays.

This is the change they've been talking about for a few months now. From what I read earlier on different news sites, they're expecting something big for the first live show that's a surprise.

and to their credit, this is the first time TNA has mentioned changing at all in awhile. Well since they started talking about this a few months ago.

I don't know that I would be. Maybe it's because of the Monday night era coloring my judgment. But Thursday seems like a bush league time for a flagship show like Impact. I'd much rather blow it off and catch it on Saturday morning given the opportunity. Not even WCW did their mainline show on Thursdays. Thunder was their second string show while the crown jewel, Nitro, was on Mondays. Midweek is JV. Friday to Monday is the varsity period baby.

I'm inclined to think that getting talked into Thursday night for Impact is part of TNA's problem. A smaller part to be sure. But a part nonetheless. If they had their flagship show on the fringes of the week, then yeah. Thursday's fine. But seeing that Impact is their flagship, the midweek slot doesn't do them any favors.

I don't know that I would be. Maybe it's because of the Monday night era coloring my judgment. But Thursday seems like a bush league time for a flagship show like Impact. I'd much rather blow it off and catch it on Saturday morning given the opportunity. Not even WCW did their mainline show on Thursdays. Thunder was their second string show while the crown jewel, Nitro, was on Mondays. Midweek is JV. Friday to Monday is the varsity period baby.

I'm inclined to think that getting talked into Thursday night for Impact is part of TNA's problem. A smaller part to be sure. But a part nonetheless. If they had their flagship show on the fringes of the week, then yeah. Thursday's fine. But seeing that Impact is their flagship, the midweek slot doesn't do them any favors.

There's honestly no reason to justify that opinion, except personal preference.

Monday is only important in wrestling because WWE had their show on Monday night on USA for years and WCW created Nitro to compete.

But TNA has literally no reason to follow suit, except to appease the people still reminiscing about the MOnday Night Wars.

--They don't film in a large arena so they have no reason to worry about filling the seats in the middle of the week.

--Spike isn't pressuring them to do so.

--They have an established presence and better track record on Thursdays

--They'll have more luck avoiding the NFL

--They clearly arent ready to compete with the E head to head

yeah live tends to get better ratings, not by much but some. Due to spoiler avoidance and the intangible better feel to being live. And yeah TNA has talked about 3 changes this year. First the Hogan and Bisch ones which changed the ring, the show format, bullet point promo's and matches, ReAction and changes to Xplosion. Then the Monday Night debacle and return. And now the ones Dixie has been teasing since before Slamiversarry.

Monday is only important in wrestling because WWE had their show on Monday night on USA for years and WCW created Nitro to compete.

But TNA has literally no reason to follow suit, except to appease the people still reminiscing about the MOnday Night Wars.

--They don't film in a large arena so they have no reason to worry about filling the seats in the middle of the week.

Here's the problem. You sound like I'm advocating for the Monday night move that already failed. Well, except for pointing out the established presence on Thursday. Which I grant is a point worthy of consideration. But I'm not suggesting Monday night at all. I'll tell you when in that "varsity window" I put them if it's up to me.

Saturday night. Sure in the fall, they'd have to watch out for the NCAA. But that's just becoming as true on Thursday nights. Heck the way the NCAA's been going in recent years, there's no night that gets you completely out of their way. The NFL wouldn't be an issue except for maybe in December. TV stinks the rest of the year on Saturday night and has for a good decade/and a half. You'd have a greater event feel to your marquee show placing in on the weekend. And besides, you gotta think ahead. At some point, they are going to want to get out of the studio setting and grow the crowds. Using the fact that the studio setting relieves some calendar pressure is rut thinking. If they want to be what they try to project, they'll need to break out of that.

The going live can probably help with that event feeling some. But that alone isn't going to change jack. They need to be on at a time folks will be fired up about. On Thursday night, they'd be trying to create that fire from scratch the way WWE did with Monday night. Problem is WWE created that fire in a much different time and had a much stronger image than TNA has ever had. So they need a time where it would already exist.

That's pretty much Saturday by default. Like you said, they aren't ready to tackle WWE head-on. So that combined with recent history lets out Monday. And Friday as well. Although the "our flagship vs their B team" argument could potentially be one worth considering. Sunday as you mention has the NFL juggernaut. So that leaves Saturday.

Actually, I read an article around the time that Impact moved to spike that indicated that it was actually Spike who wanted TNA on Monday nights. No idea if it was true or accurate, but the article basically made the whole move to Monday and "new war" out to be a push by Spike to take down USA on Monday nights. I'll post the article if I can find it....

Actually, I read an article around the time that Impact moved to spike that indicated that it was actually Spike who wanted TNA on Monday nights. No idea if it was true or accurate, but the article basically made the whole move to Monday and "new war" out to be a push by Spike to take down USA on Monday nights. I'll post the article if I can find it....

That was Heyman I think. Pointing out it was more Spike vs USA then TNA vs WWE. According to him. I think it was both. Who was the main force pushing for it? Spike or TNA? Don't know and we never will in all likelyhood.

Here's the problem. You sound like I'm advocating for the Monday night move that already failed. Well, except for pointing out the established presence on Thursday. Which I grant is a point worthy of consideration. But I'm not suggesting Monday night at all. I'll tell you when in that "varsity window" I put them if it's up to me.

Saturday night. Sure in the fall, they'd have to watch out for the NCAA. But that's just becoming as true on Thursday nights. Heck the way the NCAA's been going in recent years, there's no night that gets you completely out of their way. The NFL wouldn't be an issue except for maybe in December. TV stinks the rest of the year on Saturday night and has for a good decade/and a half. You'd have a greater event feel to your marquee show placing in on the weekend. And besides, you gotta think ahead. At some point, they are going to want to get out of the studio setting and grow the crowds. Using the fact that the studio setting relieves some calendar pressure is rut thinking. If they want to be what they try to project, they'll need to break out of that.

The going live can probably help with that event feeling some. But that alone isn't going to change jack. They need to be on at a time folks will be fired up about. On Thursday night, they'd be trying to create that fire from scratch the way WWE did with Monday night. Problem is WWE created that fire in a much different time and had a much stronger image than TNA has ever had. So they need a time where it would already exist.

That's pretty much Saturday by default. Like you said, they aren't ready to tackle WWE head-on. So that combined with recent history lets out Monday. And Friday as well. Although the "our flagship vs their B team" argument could potentially be one worth considering. Sunday as you mention has the NFL juggernaut. So that leaves Saturday.

Isn't Smackdown moving to Tuesday's now when they move to Syfy?