The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

Didn't watch the show, so I don't know how it all came across in live action, but after reading the recap... Sounds like a whole lot of awful stuffed into 2.5 hours.

One, big surprise on the whole Matt Hardy thing... How long before the eventual Hardy vs Hardy feud? Betting lines are open.

Anderson winning the title... So... Yeah... Lets not have a program between the two, and just go ahead and put the title on him, because if the new TNA nWo had all the titles, that's gonna look kinda bad. Yeah... Lets ruin Jeff's momentum. And to make it look like a lot of awesome, we'll have 5 different people interfere.

Oh... And lets end a Street Fight by DQ. I'm not even going to comment on that one. :confused: Ludicrous.

And as far as everything else goes, and again, I didn't watch the show, so maybe I'm wrong, seems like a big mess. Will I watch the show... Probably not... But if I'm wrong, and this show somehow made some kind of sense... But again, probably not.

I think they HAD to give the title to Anderson because isn't Hardy going to plead guilty here this month? Odds are he has to do some sort of jail time, even if he doesnt you know the press would splash something about World Champion pleads guilty

Yes I read the same thing, so they pretty much had a gun to their collective heads so to speak. I mean the last thing you want is your champion in jail.:D

It's the same song and dance remember Main Event Mafia

Apart from Fortune actually has some younger people in it.

As somebody mentioned on another board, he's an ugly skirt away from being an even lazier version of Raven. Except worse in every way.

At first glance I was trying to work out which fat Samoan TNA had signed...

I tend to find TNA more enjoyable than reviews and recaps make it out to be. Wrestling reviewers are a nitpicky and negative bunch.

Especially when it comes to TNA. Wrestling reviewers when they review TNA shows become worse than LOST fans.

Honest question, when was the last time someone didn't analyze a show and suspended their disbelief? I'll admit during that Hardy-Anderson match I totally forgot that wrestling was fake and was standing up rooting for Mr. Anderson. From the sound of it the crowd did too. It was the best use of overbooking I've seen in wrestling since Foley won the WWF title the first time.

But then again every IWC fan watches and all they do is analyze and analyze. They watch every match, every show like they're personally being asked to cast a vote for the Academy of Pro Wrestling Arts and Sciences.

Meltzerism has ruined pro wrestling fandom.

Especially when it comes to TNA. Wrestling reviewers when they review TNA shows become worse than LOST fans.

Honest question, when was the last time someone didn't analyze a show and suspended their disbelief? I'll admit during that Hardy-Anderson match I totally forgot that wrestling was fake and was standing up rooting for Mr. Anderson. From the sound of it the crowd did too. It was the best use of overbooking I've seen in wrestling since Foley won the WWF title the first time.

But then again every IWC fan watches and all they do is analyze and analyze. They watch every match, every show like they're personally being asked to cast a vote for the Academy of Pro Wrestling Arts and Sciences.

Meltzerism has ruined pro wrestling fandom.

Totally agree with this. Wrestling is a variety show. I look back at some of my all-time favorite events and they had hardcore junk wrestling, big superheavyweights punching each other, and compelling storylines in the main event. Not every segment on every show needs to be some sort of 5* classic. In fact, the part of TNA I enjoy least is the lack of variety when it comes to constant gimmick matches and my general boredom with bland indy guys who seem to think they need to put on some sort of show-stealing match in the midcard or on TV.

I tend to find TNA more enjoyable than reviews and recaps make it out to be. Wrestling reviewers are a nitpicky and negative bunch.

I second your disposition on that one, I've said for multiple years now that I find TNA to be miles better to watch than a lot of people would have you think when you read some of the stuff that's written and said about them online one would think they were the most embarrassing promotion on the planet but that's simply not the case. TNA do make mistakes, I personally don't dig a storyline or two or a gimmick or two at any given time I watch TNA - but the truth is TNA do a lot more right than wrong with their presentation....MCMG vs Beer Money ? Epic. AJ Styles vs Kurt Angle ? Awesome. PPV Main Event formal intros ? Truly epic.

Anyway I may not agree with certain things TNA do but ultimately I agree with more than not and I suspend my disbelief and criticism and allow myself to be entertained and that's exactly what TNA do, they entertain me and I enjoy the show. I think a lot of people are blinded by WWE and prejudiced against TNA to begin with in most cases for whatever reason I feel.

I read what is written of TNA and I look at what I'm watching on a week by week basis and I think 2 things to myself; 1) this is much better than they try to make it out to be. 2) TNA at it's worst and I have honestly seen much worse from WWE if truth be told - remember the Katie Vick angle, the god angle, most of Hornswaggle's stuff, Gillian Hall's angles ? Were any of those done in TNA and not WWE they'd have been ripped to shreds for it but as it's WWE they get away with a lot because they're by far the most visible.

If you don't believe that then I have just 2 words for ya - Jeff Hardy....less than a year and a half ago he was WWE World Champion, now until very recent he was TNA World Champ and a heel (much more interesting to watch and something new) and people call him a poor man's Raven knock off - were he in WWE like that he'd probably be the darling of the company. I'll bet if Randy Orton was in TNA with his Viper gimmick they'd be calling him a poor man's Stone Cold rip off!

So WWE get away with a lot just because it's WWE and TNA get crucified a lot purely because they aren't WWE. It's fanboyism at it's finest. A lot of it is BS and far from fair but damn if what I'm saying here isn't the truth.

EDIT

One more thing I almost forgot to mention, the Mr Anderson concussion thing.....I'm sorry but imho that was probably the biggest case of overreacting any excuse bs to hammer TNA that I think I've ever seen - it was a botched chair shot and nothing more, the aftermath of which was aired amicably on a follow up program for follow up segments! - I say again were that WWE it would have been a different story - remember Mick Foley's HIAC with Taker and the state he was legitimately in in the back after the match and yet they zoomed in on all the guts n glory immediately after the match when he had a thumb tack up his nose ? How was that not the same thing and yet people said nothing....I say the same thing about the Anderson thing as I do about the Foley thing, they risk injury by simply performing for our entertainment and so when injuries occur and they decide to show it for our entertainment, it's okay to have a moral compass but it is what it is so at least be consistent with the complaints!

So WWE get away with a lot just because it's WWE and TNA get crucified a lot purely because they aren't WWE. It's fanboyism at it's finest. A lot of it is BS and far from fair but damn if what I'm saying here isn't the truth.

Sorry, but no.

Its fine that you enjoy TNA. That's great. But trying to write off those who don't or those who find critism with it as "fanboys" is rather insulting.

Does TNA get over-criticized at times? Absolutely. But the same thing happens to the WWE, where things get ripped apart more than necessary by fans too. Quite simply, that is going to happen when you have passionate hardcore fans of any form of entertainment.

Bringing up stuff like Katie Vick and Hornswoggle is irrelevant. Trying to use the WWE's crap to justify TNA's crap is negative justification and it doesn't work. Crap is crap. And that stuff you mention is often regarded as some of the worst wrestle-crap the WWE has produced. So its not exactly like people overlook it utterly.

I have already seen more than a few people call the babyface Orton a Stone Cold ripoff. If Jeff Hardy turned heel in the WWE and adopted mannerisms reminiscent of Raven, people would be calling him a Raven knockoff. Right or wrong, it would happen. Assuming that such criticisms are aimed only at TNA is simply wrong.

Edit - as for comparing Anderson to Foley... Such comparisons lose a lot of value given that its been nearly a decade and a half between. People react differently to things like concussions now because we understand a lot more about them and the long-term brain damage they cause.

Sorry, but no.

Its fine that you enjoy TNA. That's great. But trying to write off those who don't or those who find critism with it as "fanboys" is rather insulting.

Does TNA get over-criticized at times? Absolutely. But the same thing happens to the WWE, where things get ripped apart more than necessary by fans too. Quite simply, that is going to happen when you have passionate hardcore fans of any form of entertainment.

Bringing up stuff like Katie Vick and Hornswoggle is irrelevant. Trying to use the WWE's crap to justify TNA's crap is negative justification and it doesn't work. Crap is crap. And that stuff you mention is often regarded as some of the worst wrestle-crap the WWE has produced. So its not exactly like people overlook it utterly.

I have already seen more than a few people call the babyface Orton a Stone Cold ripoff. If Jeff Hardy turned heel in the WWE and adopted mannerisms reminiscent of Raven, people would be calling him a Raven knockoff. Right or wrong, it would happen. Assuming that such criticisms are aimed only at TNA is simply wrong.

Edit - as for comparing Anderson to Foley... Such comparisons lose a lot of value given that its been nearly a decade and a half between. People react differently to things like concussions now because we understand a lot more about them and the long-term brain damage they cause.

I'm sorry but I disagree completely with a lot of this, I haven't seen anyone complain about Orton's gimmick and the whole tit for tat thing *is* relevant because it's the truth - people *do* have such agendas, I'm not saying crap isn't crap - but I just find it funny that TNA get negative comments for most things they do and when WWE does the same thing nobody seems to say a word....now either one of us is covering tracks or simply put we read 2 very different internets lol.

As for the Foley/Anderson time difference thing, I don't buy that and I'll tell you why....yes it *was* a different and more risque time period, but you aren't seriously suggesting that people legitimately know more about concussed wrestlers and serious injury now than back then and that's the reason for the outburst against TNA rather than it being simple fanboy ammo ? And if so, where were you in 1997-1999 ? It doesn't matter if it was a decade ago as time doesn't change the facts. It was still the same thing. WCW have been guilty of it also for what it's worth.

The Hardy/Raven thing is another thing I don't understand, where do people get that comparison from ? I don't see how the two mannerisms or gimmicks are even remotely similar - Hardy's gimmick or current style has about as much in common with Taker as he does with Raven. Which is nothing. Just like Orton has nothing in common with the Austin gimmick.

I understand that.. and lets play

"Which One of these things is ALIKE!!??"

Stone Cold Raises his hands on the turnbuckle/

Randy Orton raises his hands on the turnbuckle....

Stone Cold with the lunatic look when delivering a Lou Thez Press/

Randy Orton when delivering a Power Slam

Stone Cold doing mudhole stompings in the corner..../

Randy Orton doing....AWWW HELL you get the point...

That's from the WWE thread. On this forum. From yesterday.

So no, not two different Internets.

This isn't the first time I've seen someone make the comparison. Maybe it doesn't happen that often on the forums you visit, but I've seen it a number of times. Sometimes just being pointed out, as the posterer here seems to do, and sometimes criticized quite a bit.

And no, the long-term damage caused by hits to the head was not fully understood fifteen years ago, nor ten years ago. Not even five years ago. The NFL treats concussion-like symptoms far differently now than it did just a few seasons ago. Why? Helmet-to-helmet hits have become a focal point just this season. Why? I'm not saying that there was no concept of the damage that Foley was doing to his body at the time, but the medical understanding specifically of blows to the head has come a long long way since.

I can't really comment on how close or far Jeff Harydy's current gimmick is from Raven. I've stopped watching TNA.

As for the Foley/Anderson time difference thing, I don't buy that and I'll tell you why....yes it *was* a different and more risque time period, but you aren't seriously suggesting that people legitimately know more about concussed wrestlers and serious injury now than back then and that's the reason for the outburst against TNA rather than it being simple fanboy ammo ? And if so, where were you in 1997-1999 ? It doesn't matter if it was a decade ago as time doesn't change the facts. It was still the same thing. WCW have been guilty of it also for what it's worth.

Yes, he seriously was. Former WWE superstar Chris Nowinski wrote a book and then involved with an institute that deals with spreading awareness of the consequences of concussions in athletics. And yes, considerably more research on the brain of these old football pros is known now than was known ten years ago.

Also a lot of the stuff you're saying about people not saying something about Foley's condition then or criticizing WWE in any way is just completely, 100% the opposite of truth.

WWE was lambasted in the media for months because of the actions of one man, who coincidentally had the brain matter of an 80 year old alzheimer's patient after the shots to the head he had taken in his career. This was a company that responded by creating a wellness policy designed to prevent early wrestling-related deaths. To say nobody blames them for the things they do is preposterous.