The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

Ah, that old chestnut.

Of course, then goes the vicious cycle; someone complains about TNA and is simply told don't watch it if you don't like it. After a while, they ask if TNA is still bas bad as they remember. They're asked if they watch it, say no, and are quickly told, usually by the same people who told them not to watch it in the first place, they can't criticize something they don't watch. So they take the challenge and watch TNA for while, to see if it's changed (invariably, they've been told it's improved or to give it a chance), and when they continue to complain because it's still the same TNA as it ever was, they're once again told don't watch it if you don't like it. They stop watching and then the cycle repeats itself over and over.

It's an easy out in an argument, primarily because it allows the actual problems not to be addressed and the people bringing up the complaints can be more easily dismissed, so I expect that from someone like Jeff Jarrett. But in a thread about TNA, well, sorry if people keep complaining and usually about the same things, but if you really want it to stop, you might want to to direct your thoughts the way of the people who keep making those some mistakes and keep failing to address those problems. Or you could just ignore the complaints because "If you don't like it, don't watch it" is a pretty lame mantra to begin with and just makes you come across like you're sticking your fingers in your ears.

Ah, that old chestnut.

Of course, then goes the vicious cycle; someone complains about TNA and is simply told don't watch it if you don't like it. After a while, they ask if TNA is still bas bad as they remember. They're asked if they watch it, say no, and are quickly told, usually by the same people who told them not to watch it in the first place, they can't criticize something they don't watch. So they take the challenge and watch TNA for while, to see if it's changed (invariably, they've been told it's improved or to give it a chance), and when they continue to complain because it's still the same TNA as it ever was, they're once again told don't watch it if you don't like it. They stop watching and then the cycle repeats itself over and over.

It's an easy out in an argument, primarily because it allows the actual problems not to be addressed and the people bringing up the complaints can be more easily dismissed, so I expect that from someone like Jeff Jarrett. But in a thread about TNA, well, sorry if people keep complaining and usually about the same things, but if you really want it to stop, you might want to to direct your thoughts the way of the people who keep making those some mistakes and keep failing to address those problems. Or you could just ignore the complaints because "If you don't like it, don't watch it" is a pretty lame mantra to begin with and just makes you come across like you're sticking your fingers in your ears.

Years ago I had a friend tell me about this movie called The Blair Witch Project and how great it was. So I went and saw it. I never listened to another movie suggestion from him again. The moral of the story is once someone tells you something that is blatantly wrong on insane you don’t listen to him or her the next time they tell you the same thing. This is not a comment on the quality of TNA or my opinion on TNA, just about how that circle only can happen to a crazy person who learns nothing from the past.

Years ago I had a friend tell me about this movie called The Blair Witch Project and how great it was. So I went and saw it. I never listened to another movie suggestion from him again. The moral of the story is once someone tells you something that is blatantly wrong on insane you don’t listen to him or her the next time they tell you the same thing. This is not a comment on the quality of TNA or my opinion on TNA, just about how that circle only can happen to a crazy person who learns nothing from the past.

So very true. Of course, the problem is that when someone does say something like, "Well, you said things had got better the last time, and they hadn't", you almost always get a response along the lines of, "You just don't want to like...." whatever the topic is. You almost never get two people simply agreeing to disagree, and just letting the other say their piece without going on the attack.

Ah, that old chestnut.

That's the thing, people DON'T ask that. They continue to bash it based on BIASED reviews on the internet. I don't understand how it makes sense that if you do not like something, you still watch it. I stopped watching WWE because I stopped liking it. I started watching it again because I heard about Christian being in the title picture. It just seems like the mature thing to do in my eyes instead of going out of my way to watch something that doesn't entertain me to go "oh that sucks!"

I think people who watch TNA or WWE and complain about it really *want* to like it. They don't watch it just in order to have something to complain about, they watch it because they like wrestling and would really like to be treated with a good wrestling show. And when they are not delivered what they want, they might still watch it simply because there are no other options and in hope that if people voice their opinions, the people in power will listen and change.

Now what I don't get, on the other hand, is people who thinks either TNA or WWE is awesome and then keeps bashing the other. Those people have a show they like and can just as well leave the other be. But I understand people who doesn't fully enjoy either complaining and hoping for improvements.

The way I critique wrestling is no different than when I am critical of my favorite sports teams. Maybe I am unhappy with a signing or how they use people. Maybe I think the backup should be starting or instead of that run they did on 4th and 1 I thought they should play action pass? I think wrestling fans do the same thing with their shows.

I always thought it was pretty dumb to watch something that you don't like because then the ratings show that you watched it and it makes the show look better in the eyes of the producers, sponsors, network, etc. I mean talking about stuff on the internet isn't really going to get anything to change. If you want it to change you'd have to hit 'em where it hurts: the pockets. By not watching, not ordering pay per views, etc.

The problem is that normal wrestling fans outweight the internet fans who hate T.N.A... I don't want it change, I'm by no means the biggest fan of wrestling but I'd prefer it to be more like sports entertainment WWE then boring (in my opinion) old ROH.

The way I critique wrestling is no different than when I am critical of my favorite sports teams. Maybe I am unhappy with a signing or how they use people. Maybe I think the backup should be starting or instead of that run they did on 4th and 1 I thought they should play action pass? I think wrestling fans do the same thing with their shows.

Some people are of the opinion that if you're critiquing something you're watching, you're hating it, and that you should just stop watching. What's funny is that these people usually hold the opposite view to the person doing the critiquing..sorry, criticizing.

I wonder if, for example, people unhappy with the ending of the current season of The Killing were brushed off with being told that if they didn't like it, they shouldn't watch it and what they had to say was ignored. Of course, Veena Sud responded to the negative reaction to the finale of her show in much the same way Jeff Jarrett did to the criticism of TNA; was happy with the criticism because, hey, it shows people are watching.

I always thought it was pretty dumb to watch something that you don't like because then the ratings show that you watched it and it makes the show look better in the eyes of the producers, sponsors, network, etc. I mean talking about stuff on the internet isn't really going to get anything to change. If you want it to change you'd have to hit 'em where it hurts: the pockets. By not watching, not ordering pay per views, etc.

The problem is that normal wrestling fans outweight the internet fans who hate T.N.A... I don't want it change, I'm by no means the biggest fan of wrestling but I'd prefer it to be more like sports entertainment WWE then boring (in my opinion) old ROH.

The fact is (and I'm basing this off MMA, but from what I can gather it's twice as bad with wrestling as most wrestling is on free TV) is that you get a large majority of the online fanbase who watch these shows/fights for the sole purpose of jumping onto a forum and tearing them to shreds.

We have a significant number of guys who write into our site, or facebook/tweet us after EVERY UFC show goes off the air saying how UFC fights suck compared to Pride/Bellator/Dream/two hobos in a car park etc, that all UFC fighters play it safe, UFC rules suck, Dana White is running a monopoly, they want the three hours of their life back etc....Every. Single. Time. And it's the same guys, too.

Most of them have been watching MMA for a few years, in some cases many, many years, and literally haven't a clue what they're talking about. From what I see of many online wrestling fans (which is admittedly this website only and the odd wrestling discussion that pops up on an MMA forum I visit) its the same. The people who complain every week are the ones who think they could do it better because they rock at TEW, yet have no legitimate real world experience. But it's cool to bash WWE/TNA for stupid writing and lame booking while lamenting the days of Steamboat/Flair (which they probably only saw on Youtube because they were born in 1990 anyway).

These days I don't watch wrestling. If I'm working till 4am here in the UK, I'll maybe have TNA/WWE on in the background once in a while. But for the most part it I find insults my intelligence so I don't tune in. Like you say, these people are tearing it to bits while contributing to the ratings. I guess the small mercy is that these people are in reality such a small (if very vocal) percentage of the audience, that nobody who really matters is listening to them anyway.

People who watch TNA and WWE like wrestling. People that don't probably aren't watching.

I don't think people make themselves watch something they hate for 2 hours to go online and talk about how much they hate it. That shows a huge lack of inteligence if you ask me... unless they get paid to watch something they hate.

Some people are of the opinion that if you're critiquing something you're watching, you're hating it, and that you should just stop watching. What's funny is that these people usually hold the opposite view to the person doing the critiquing..sorry, criticizing.

This, but moreso the bolded section. Since when did criticism = hate? Sure, there are people out there who are borderline addicted to hating something, but this isn't exclusive to wrestling. Sports teams, game sites, movie forums, pretty much 90% of the videos on youtube, etc all have a portion of people who simply post to dump on something. Some to an extent that even if their initial complaint is corrected, they then complain about how long it took to do so or some other insignificant detail in this new resolution that justifies continued attack. Trolls don't just live underneath bridges and all that, but you can hardly extend this to everybody who has something negative to say.

As for Jarrett's piece. Eh, I get that there's no point trying to satisfy people you're never going to satisfy, but don't try to sell that all the criticism levelled at TNA is unjust bile from online obsessives or scrawny technerds. After all, how many times have their own (including current) employees commented negatively on aspects of the company? Kurt Angle, Eric Bischoff, Sting, etc.

Double J is right IWC fans are the dumbest people that think they know wrestling, and think they actually make a diffrence in ratings/what a promotion does only about 5% of veiwers are IWC veiwers. I hate the IWC's way of the "Perfect" product. Wrestling FANS not smarks but FANS dont wont 16 min. matches of TV. They wont 7-11 min. matches and angles/storylines that entertain. I fast foward through most of the wrestling matches in WWE/TNA in less its a high flying match ala X-Division/ Sin Cara. This is why I never really go on Wrestling forums. I come on this on for the game and mostly stay away from the WWE/TNA talk, because you can never tell an IWC fan they are wrong they have answers for everything.

I'm Done for now :)

Some 30 min. matches can be epic in their own right, but mostly, yeah... the traditional matches can go a LOT shorter imo.

But matches need good moves though. TNA often has crapmatches, except the X-division of course, and the established stars' matches.

That triple threat was pretty good. If the focus on the X Division continues after Destination X, it'd be nice to get all three of those guys.

agreed. My only issue, was didn't the ref count to three before the one guy jumped to break up the pin near the end? That seems to happen a little too much in TNA.

solid match though. Also had me wondering, what is Creed up to? (btw I saw lethal is part of whatever this AWW thing is, so he is still sort of with TNA)