The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

<p>So TNA releases Crimson after putting him over the entire roster for a year? Did they just now figure out that the guy had ZERO heat? They didn't catch onto this while you know they were putting him over as Ginger Goldberg destroyer of worlds? </p><p> </p><p>

None the less they also made their gut check look like a joke. What atleast two of the guys released were brought in via the gutcheck.</p>

<p>TNA doesn't need that many guys on the fulltime roster anyway. They have two hours a week of television. Hell half of Aces and Eights shouldn't be employed anyway. </p><p> </p><p>

The problem with all of these cost cutting measures is how much money is Hogan and Bischoff costing them? Even Pritchard. I'm confused on what the value of any of these guys are when they are putting in the exact same rating they have put in for the last seven years. </p><p> </p><p>

I really believe that just like the WWE could put on a two hour iron man match of Santino vs. Heath Slater and still pull near a 3.0 I also believe TNA could put on the westminster dog show vs. Aces and Eights in a War Games match and still pull in a 1.0</p><p> </p><p>

Its good that they are cutting costs but as long as Panda Energy needs a tax write off and Spike TV wants something that puts on a rating above 1.0 now that the UFC is gone TNA is safe. Even if there were rumors of once again remaking the network this time into ANOTHER female channel. Because Oxygen, Lifetime, OWN and who knows which others aren't quite enough.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Stennick" data-cite="Stennick" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So TNA releases Crimson after putting him over the entire roster for a year? Did they just now figure out that the guy had ZERO heat? They didn't catch onto this while you know they were putting him over as Ginger Goldberg destroyer of worlds? <p> </p><p> None the less they also made their gut check look like a joke. What atleast two of the guys released were brought in via the gutcheck.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Taeler Hendrix decided not to renew her contract and I think Christian York asked to be released due to TNA's rumoured financial state they didn't fight to keep them more than telling them they were done. I may be wrong (it happens more often than I'd like) but it does make the Gutcheck look pointless. I also heard that the reason Adam Pearce lost out to Magno a couple months back in Gutchesck was because he refused the OVW assignment and wanted to be brought into the full roster. It now makes sense why the guy who botched most of his spots got the "contract"!</p><p> </p><p> I wouldn't be surprised to see a few more "fringe" talent cut in the coming weeks because TNA really needs to streamline their bloated roster. They also don't need a developmental promotion so surely whatever money they are paying OVW is dead money.</p>

<p>Turned the volume down on the Gut Check segments this week (I don't do reality tv) but I think Howe got further than Big O. Justice. There's Undertaker no selling that makes sense for the character (and that your opponent expects) and there's refusing to sell so you can stay on offence longer.</p><p> </p><p>

I loved the first half hour of this week's show. Set up a main event I was psyched for. Kaz/AJ was fun. Mickie James cut a fantastic promo. Christy Hemme staring deep into my soul as she did the ring introductions... Great first half hour.</p><p> </p><p>

The rest of the show was fine, but just little things bummed me out, or caused me to turn the volume down a spell. Disappointed with the main event, due to shenanigans. I wanted wacky 3 way movez!</p>

<p>so wth is up with going back and forth on the Destination X card?.. haven't seen any thoughts on this. I love Sabin and Aries personally, so I was very excited when Aries won it, but then Sabin wins it back just to give it up anyways? I'm confused. Hope Sabin wins the title though..</p><p> </p><p>

Also sad to hear of Christian York leaving.. :/ Crimson and others however, just meh there. Saw Crimson live a while back and he just wasn't too great to me</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="petecrimson00" data-cite="petecrimson00" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>so wth is up with going back and forth on the Destination X card?.. haven't seen any thoughts on this. I love Sabin and Aries personally, so I was very excited when Aries won it, but then Sabin wins it back just to give it up anyways? I'm confused. Hope Sabin wins the title though.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The idea as I saw it was that Aries was merely a villainous obstacle to place in Chris Sabin's path on his way to the big title shot. The problem being that Aries is horribly miscast as a heel, so everyone was super-jazzed when he won the belt, and Sabin actually started to get booed in the 3-way. A fun story. Nice and soap opera-y. In hindsight, probably ended up hurting Sabin more than helping him.</p><p> </p><p> P.S. I don't read spoilers, so there may be another week of stuff that throws my theory out the window. If so, please wait a week before you tell me.</p>

The idea as I saw it was that Aries was merely a villainous obstacle to place in Chris Sabin's path on his way to the big title shot. The problem being that Aries is horribly miscast as a heel, so everyone was super-jazzed when he won the belt, and Sabin actually started to get booed in the 3-way. A fun story. Nice and soap opera-y. In hindsight, probably ended up hurting Sabin more than helping him.

P.S. I don't read spoilers, so there may be another week of stuff that throws my theory out the window. If so, please wait a week before you tell me.

I don't do spoilers either generally, but I was highly confused. Aries is shown as a big threat and the fans were happy to see him challenge for the belt and then next week, nope, you don't count! Glad to see someone agrees about it kinda hindering interest there

Yea they definitely should have went with Aries at Destination X after the crowd reaction and everything. But whatever Aries/Saban was an absolute treat so if they develop a little feud with a nice series after this I'm 100% fine with that. I would watch those two wrestle all day long.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what the over/under is for how long TNA will remain in business.

You know the roster cuts kind of annoy me because they are getting rid of the people like Joey Ryan who has a personality that works but they are keeping guys like Garrett Bischoff around because of who he is related to. I mean Joey was at least entertaining, Garrett on the other hand just sucks.

But just like in life it is not how good you are, but who you know. Which is something I know only to well.

I wonder what the over/under is for how long TNA will remain in business.

You know the roster cuts kind of annoy me because they are getting rid of the people like Joey Ryan who has a personality that works but they are keeping guys like Garrett Bischoff around because of who he is related to. I mean Joey was at least entertaining, Garrett on the other hand just sucks.

But just like in life it is not how good you are, but who you know. Which is something I know only to well.

I don't think Joey Ryan would have worked in TNA. He wasn't incredibly talented to stand out and his character wasn't going to get over.

But I believe TNA will at least last 2 to 3 more years. Maybe after that they will close down but I don't see them out of business anytime sooner than that unless Panda Energy pulls the plug or Spike TV is gone.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Rickymex" data-cite="Rickymex" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I don't think Joey Ryan would have worked in TNA. He wasn't incredibly talented to stand out and his character wasn't going to get over.<p> </p><p> But I believe TNA will at least last 2 to 3 more years. Maybe after that they will close down but I don't see them out of business anytime sooner than that unless Panda Energy pulls the plug or Spike TV is gone.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Thing about Joey Ryan was at least he had some sort of personality to him. Garrett on the other hand just stands there and goofily smiles and never says a word. Which was pretty much what he did as a fan favorite as well.</p>

Yeah Garrett is pretty useless but I don't believe he has that large a salary even if his father is Eric. Eric doesn't seem to me to be the type to give a crap that they are paying Garett what he's worth. They won't fire him but they won't give him a contract that's worth more than him. Of course this is just speculation on my part.

Not sure when people in other parts of the world get to see TNA so I will just write this as a spoiler: <span style="color:#FFFFFF;">I did not see Sabin becoming the new TNA Champion. That came out of leftfield to me, I am not saying it is a bad idea. I am just saying that I did not think it would happen. I thought for sure Bubba would hold the title until October and lose it to whomever won the BFGS.</span>

<p>I was able to watch Impact tonight and I was surprised that I actually enjoyed it. I was really happy for Chris Sabin when he won the Title because he definately deserves it but the thing that really annoys me when it comes to TNA is the fact that they don't think long term at all.</p><p> </p><p>

Take the TNA World Title and it's history, the company has been in existance now for 11 years and they still have yet to have a World Champion hold the title for longer than 9 monthes. So we have yet to have a World Champion hold the belt for a year which really bothers me. I can't get behind any champion because by the time he's got some momentum and things are working in his favor they will just give the title to the next guy on the list. They are a very flavor of the month/bubble gum promotion and it really annoys me.</p>

<p>Bobby Roode held the belt for around 9 months.</p><p> </p><p>

Year long title reigns are a thing of the past and the only reason CM Punk held was due to the fact that they had already set up the Rock as the opponent. Ryback was the only other person who could have held the title at that time and him vs The Rock wasn't money.</p>

<p>Was going to add this on to my previous post but I forgot so I will post it here, but I find it really stupid of TNA to mention WWE on their programming. It makes TNA seem extremely minor league compared to WWE when at one point TNA was trying to compete with WWE and still might be.</p><p> </p><p>

When WWE and WCW were around the only time WCW would mention WWE was to poke fun at them which seemed minor league as well but TNA mentioning guys that they currently have being former WWE Champions etc is really annoying.</p>

Was going to add this on to my previous post but I forgot so I will post it here, but I find it really stupid of TNA to mention WWE on their programming. It makes TNA seem extremely minor league compared to WWE when at one point TNA was trying to compete with WWE and still might be.

When WWE and WCW were around the only time WCW would mention WWE was to poke fun at them which seemed minor league as well but TNA mentioning guys that they currently have being former WWE Champions etc is really annoying.

No. It's called good commentating. Hiding the fact that they were WWE champions is ridiculous. Why would they? Let's open wrestling and not close it by refusing to say on air that other promotions exist.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="shawn michaels 82" data-cite="shawn michaels 82" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>No. It's called good commentating. Hiding the fact that they were WWE champions is ridiculous. Why would they? Let's open wrestling and not close it by refusing to say on air that other promotions exist.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I actually agree with this</p><p> </p><p> Face the facts, it's not like TNA have a large amount of their own exclusive wrestling fans. In fact if there is wrestling related attire in their crowd it is likely a WWE shirt.</p><p> </p><p> It's one thing for say WWE to mention TNA or other companies because they are shining light on a competitor (I use that word loosely) that may not be well known, but with TNA everyone already knows WWE so there is no harm in mentioning it to enhance a wrestler on commentary.</p><p> </p><p> and in regards to last night's main event, I am torn. It is the second year in a row where the Destination X theme potentially ruins the long build of a BFG main event like last year with Roode/Storm</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Teh_Showtime" data-cite="Teh_Showtime" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I actually agree with this<p> </p><p> Face the facts, it's not like TNA have a large amount of their own exclusive wrestling fans. In fact if there is wrestling related attire in their crowd it is likely a WWE shirt.</p><p> </p><p> It's one thing for say WWE to mention TNA or other companies because they are shining light on a competitor (I use that word loosely) that may not be well known, but with TNA everyone already knows WWE so there is no harm in mentioning it to enhance a wrestler on commentary.</p><p> </p><p> and in regards to last night's main event, I am torn. It is the second year in a row where the Destination X theme potentially ruins the long build of a BFG main event like last year with Roode/Storm</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I love to finally see Sabin as Champion...but why now...and like this? They just craped all over Bully's entire reign. The first one of his long and hard working career(And maybe the last, though that might not be the case now)...and it will lose all it's value...unless this is part of some good plan. I just don't see a good plan that can save what they just did to Bully.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Teh_Showtime" data-cite="Teh_Showtime" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25170" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Bully loses nothing, he dominated and lost to the hammer.<p> </p><p> However Magnus or Styles could be the real loser in this. I feel that one of the two would win the BFF series and end Bully's reign</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Come on. The correct way to end his reign woukd have been at BFG. This takes a lot of value to what was a great run.</p>