The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

So far Delirious hasn't ruined Impact like I expected. It's still one of the most consistently entertaining shows on a weekly basis. I was real let down that Samuray Del Sol's debut didn't happen, but since his team lost, it makes sense. Scott must be the final say above Delirious. PCO's return and Bully Ray's reaction were both awesome. Especially when Bully basically stole a car to escape PCO's wrath.

I don't think Devon has any desire to return to the ring, but hopefully we see a 3D at least on Impact 1000. 

• 2 weeks later...

Impact 1000 is shaping up to be a fun as heck show. Awesome Kong and Gail Kim are teaming up for the show and Gail challenged any Knockout, past or present to "stand with them or against them" and I am so excited to see Gail in the ring again. One of the GOATs

• 2 weeks later...

It was announced Mike Tenay and Don West are getting inducted into the Impact Hall of Fame and ya know, that's just awesome. Don West wasn't a good commentator, but he was a hell of a pitch man. He talked my brother, who is insanely stingy with his money, into spending almost $300 at a TNA house show. I spent closer to $400. 

I know Tenay is enjoying his retirement, but I really miss him on commentary. He was always passionate and knowledgeable. 

27 minutes ago, FellaLibby said:

Mike Tenay was the best commentator TNA's ever had. Josh Matthews is not tolerable.

Josh has thankfully moved to a backstage role 90% of the time. Tom Hannifan/Philips and Matthew Rehwoldt(Aiden English) are the commentary team now and are pretty good together. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jaysin said:

It was announced Mike Tenay and Don West are getting inducted into the Impact Hall of Fame and ya know, that's just awesome. Don West wasn't a good commentator, but he was a hell of a pitch man. He talked my brother, who is insanely stingy with his money, into spending almost $300 at a TNA house show. I spent closer to $400. 

I know Tenay is enjoying his retirement, but I really miss him on commentary. He was always passionate and knowledgeable. 

This is a story I'd love to hear. What's interesting is that I never *noticed* Don West wasn't a great commentator BECAUSE he was so passionate. It wasn't a Mike Adamle situation where he wasn't good and he wasn't passionate. Same with Adnan Virk. That probably falls on the company for hiring them, but still.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CQI13 said:

This is a story I'd love to hear. What's interesting is that I never *noticed* Don West wasn't a great commentator BECAUSE he was so passionate. It wasn't a Mike Adamle situation where he wasn't good and he wasn't passionate. Same with Adnan Virk. That probably falls on the company for hiring them, but still.

Don was so passionate about everything and it was contagious. He convinced us to each buy a Jeff Jarrett laser engraved acoustic guitar. When we said that we were a little thin in the wallet, he knocked off some money and gave us backstage passes for the intermission. I got to meet a good number of the best TNA talent in 2011. 

I think that's why I like Kevin Patrick on commentary in WWE. He's not the best commentator, but he's passionate and willing to learn. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Seems like they don't have a clear vision or strategy. And I've heard all the reasons for/against the 6-sided ring, but it set them apart. I do prefer "Impact Wrestling" over "TNA Wrestling" though. TNA was fine at the start, it fit with the times, but they always had to clarify that it was "TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION" #miketenayvoice. I don't know, but if you have to clarify what your initials stand for because it may not be palatable to advertisers or broadcast partners, maybe you picked the wrong ones. To each their own.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the TNA name either. Little soon to assume they don't have a clear vision though. They've done a great job of having some of the most consistently entertaining shows and storylines in pro wrestling. Not everything is a home run, but Impact/TNA is doing really well right now. Seems weird to go back to the TNA name, but it is their most famous identity. 

As for the six sided ring, wrestlers hated it. Sure, it made them look different, but bumping in the ring was worse than a four sided ring because of the construction of the thing. 

On 10/22/2023 at 8:06 PM, aXminster said:

I like it. Hope there is a production improvement and they get a better stage too. 

Pretty sure I've mentioned it here before, but I remember watching some of the Pandemic era clips and I could just not get into it - the way it sounded just took me right out of it. Even NXT (in a comparable sized arena - or what seems to be comparable size) sounds a lot...cleaner? better? Not sure how to describe it.

On 10/22/2023 at 12:44 PM, CQI13 said:

I don't know, but if you have to clarify what your initials stand for because it may not be palatable to advertisers or broadcast partners, maybe you picked the wrong ones. To each their own.

I understood this in 2017 but with six years under their belt now, it's not as though Impact Wrestling has helped them make massive inroads in a commercial partnership sense. Their owners pretty much had to buy a TV channel just to get Impact Wrestling on the air.

My hope is that the shift back to the old name and branding is a sign of something to come, some sort of shift in product, presentation, something.

The way I see it is, go back to the nostalgic TNA name, get some of your old viewers to tune in and try out your shows for a while, and try to hook them with some significant change for the better.

But then again... LOLTNA

12 minutes ago, parkereddy said:

My hope is that the shift back to the old name and branding is a sign of something to come, some sort of shift in product, presentation, something.

The way I see it is, go back to the nostalgic TNA name, get some of your old viewers to tune in and try out your shows for a while, and try to hook them with some significant change for the better.

But then again... LOLTNA

Have you been watching? They've had a good product again for awhile. They are booking bigger venues and they're reportedly in talks with numerous free agents. The LOLTNA stuff hasn't been relevant in ages. 

Bound for Glory had two MOTY contenders, Mike Bailey vs Will Ospreay and Josh Alexander vs Alex Shelley. 

8 minutes ago, James The Animator said:

I'm skeptical of this relaunch for two reasons. First there's the simple fact that most of the classic TNA roster is now either retired, contracted to WWE, or contracted to AEW. So the new TNA will have nothing in common with the old TNA except the name. More importantly, it's easy to forget that Impact only has a TV deal right now because the channel is owned by the same parent company. Barely anybody tunes in each week (to say nothing of their PPV buy rates), and right now they're nowhere near even their lowest numbers on Spike. You can say all the right things and make appealing promises, but if nobody is watching, does any of it matter?

They absolutely either need a better tv deal or getting on a major streaming service like Hulu or Netflix. They need more eyes on the product. They're the most consistently entertaining program right now and no one gets to see it. 

As for the TNA Originals "issue"

Alex Shelley
Bully Ray
Chris Sabin
Crazzy Steve
Eddie Edwards
Eric Young
Frankie Kazarian
Rhino
Mickie James
Scott D'Amore

Pretty good chunk of TNA workers there.

They need a big signing and a good TV/streaming deal and they'll be golden imo. 

23 hours ago, James The Animator said:

Bully Ray, Mickie, & Rhino all made their names elsewhere before joining TNA. Steve & Eddie showed up over a decade after the company started. Scott was never really a wrestler, so I wouldn’t count him with everybody else. The rest are fair though.

Bully, Mickie, and Rhino were all just as successful or more so in TNA than they were elsewhere. When they left WWE, they were floundering. TNA rebuilt their careers and solidified their statuses as well regarded talents. Despite not being an active wrestler in TNA, Scott was very much a big part of TNA as the Coach/Leader of Team Canada. 

Scott D'Amore about the possibility of CM Punk in TNA.

"It's not a secret, CM Punk was backstage the day after Bound for Glory. That's nothing new. He was backstage earlier this year when he was under contract at AEW and they were just getting ready for the debut of Collision, so we have a pretty open policy.
"If you want to come by and visit, as long as you're respectful to our crew, you will be respected. He was a pleasure to have when he came around, so is there a possibility he is here in the future, you never know.
"Is there going to be a place for for veteran talent and senior talent in TNA wrestling? Of course, you know, the value can't be understated of good senior veteran talent right now with name recognition and drawability as well. The door is open.”

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any idea why people in TNA say Kazuchika so...strangely? I've always heard New Japan's English commentators pronounce it as Ka-zooch-ka and TNA talents have been saying Ka-zoo-chee-ka and it's throwing me off. 

Anyway, TNA is killing it right now. I just wish they had a better tv deal so more people could see them without springing for TNA+. 

Josh Alexander is so damn good.