The Official TNA / Impact / GFW Discussion Thread

Adam Ryland

On Morley: What's interesting to me is that he has been a smark favorite for years. Anti-WWEites have pointed to him as proof that the E was stoopid. Here was this great worker not being pushed to the moon! The E ran a poll on their website a few years back to see who should get a world title shot, and Val Venis either won it or came close, entirely on smark votes. He goes to TNA and before he ever works a match, those same voices are deriding it as "WCW ALL OVER AGAIN OMG!!!"

As part of that historic vote for Val Venis, I can assure you it was all done as a joke by the GameFAQs PWB. Yeah people like him and see his talent, but more than anything this was a "chance to get a jobber a WT shot".

Val Venis was never a jobber comedy gimmick in his prime. LOL?

He was the IC champ and a ton of tv time was devoted to his feud with guys like Shamrock and Goldust.

Yeah, in 1999. Since 2003, I believe he's only had one proper, even, good match - against King Booker. Other than that, TOTAL comedy jobber.

As much heat as I'm going to get for this, I agree with Bubba.

Not about TNA, but about Haiti. Our country is falling apart and we're more concerned with another country's problems.

An estimated 150.000 people died because of this earthquake in Haiti, a nation not exactly doing well as it was. Earlier today, I read a report about old, sick and immobile people lying around helpless in the ruins of a retirement home without food or medicine, with rats eating off their over-filled diapers.

In comparison, you're sitting at home being cozy while chatting online about something as trivial as wrestling.

All I can ask is... are you serious? I mean... really?

Before tonight's TNA iMPACT tapings began in Orlando, members of the TNA staff addressed the crowd at the iMPACT Zone about their behavior.

Fans were told not to curse, make obscene gestures or gang signs. The fans were referred to as "cast members" and were basically told they needed to be quiet, according to a fan in attendance.

This is likely another decision made by Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff, who haven't been pleased with some of the reactions from the TNA crowd lately.

now Hogan and Bischoff tell the crowd what to do, talk about running the show

Before tonight's TNA iMPACT tapings began in Orlando, members of the TNA staff addressed the crowd at the iMPACT Zone about their behavior.

Fans were told not to curse, make obscene gestures or gang signs. The fans were referred to as "cast members" and were basically told they needed to be quiet, according to a fan in attendance.

This is likely another decision made by Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff, who haven't been pleased with some of the reactions from the TNA crowd lately.

The great irony of this is that Hogan and Biscoff keep talking about TNA being "real wrestling" and giving the fans "real wrestling"... and yet they want them to in accordance to certain set paradigms. That seems very "Sports Entertainment" to me.

I can understand the frustration on the part of Hogan and Bischoff, but did they really have no understanding at all of TNA fans before they came on board?

The great irony of this is that Hogan and Biscoff keep talking about TNA being "real wrestling" and giving the fans "real wrestling"... and yet they want them to in accordance to certain set paradigms. That seems very "Sports Entertainment" to me.

I can understand the frustration on the part of Hogan and Bischoff, but did they really have no understanding at all of TNA fans before they came on board?

i think they just want to control the smarks in the crowed that always ruin everything. tna is sports entertainment as well as it should be but tna is more wrestling style than wwe is. both sports entertainment but different. if they want boring wrestling they can go to evolve or dragons gate . if they want something entertaining for mainstreme, they have tna and wwe as choices. not saying wrestling is boring but its not for main stream and no one watches wrestling to just see wrestling. those fans just want a night of spot fests. spot fests are fn awesome, but when controlled, not whenits the entire damn show. tna needs to move out of the impact zone.

those fans can't really complain, they get in for free anyways.

tna has always had a few very vocal fans.....the ppv last night was a perfect example of it. there were so many chants during the show last night it was crazy. hogan and bishoff got alot of heat last night also. the fans went nuts for the new ring. I don't think hogan really understood that the people wanted that *or atleast the hardcore fans in the audience did*.

I think they are going to have to move away from the impact zone if they want people to "be quiet" as they are not going to get that from the fans now.

That's just speculating though. Isn't TNA recored in a theme park or something? Can anyone get in? Maybe Universal Studios don't want 'gang signs' and coarse language if young kids can get in?

Maybe Spike have had a hand in it? Maybe if TNA *do* want to compete with WWE (who put out a family friendly product) then they feel that they need a tamer crowd in order to attract a more mainstream audience?

Not about TNA, but about Haiti. Our country is falling apart and we're more concerned with another country's problems.

Obviously. You must think about yourself first and only. I wish doctors and farmers and such worked like that as well.

America's problem, as a friendly neighbor to your north, is how selfish you are in the fact the rest of the world hates you. Maybe if you worked on that second thing a bit some of the first problems like economy and stuff would go away. If more countries were stable and economically diverse, thats more trade, more trade = more production, more production = more jobs....

Sometimes I really really really hate how dense and selfish people can be (Canadians, Americans, Brits, Japanease, ext ext ext) it just seems to shine as bright in America as the red, white, & blue.

I wrote a long ranting response to this, but realized that's neither necessary nor appropriate for this thread. I'll keep it simple: our helping Haiti has NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER on our ability to fix our own country. That's like saying McDonald's shouldn't be creating a dollar breakfast menu when Natalee Holloway is still missing.

That's just speculating though. Isn't TNA recored in a theme park or something? Can anyone get in? Maybe Universal Studios don't want 'gang signs' and coarse language if young kids can get in?

Maybe Spike have had a hand in it? Maybe if TNA *do* want to compete with WWE (who put out a family friendly product) then they feel that they need a tamer crowd in order to attract a more mainstream audience?

tna wont go family friendly, bishoff feels that limits creativity , also eric will look at everything wwe is doing, and try to find ways to be different. much like nitro was at the start. so no, no fears of going for family friendly. tna will go for edgy, but the tna fans dont like change. not all fans but the hardcore impact regulars are the vocal group.

if you give them aj styles vs daniels joe all night they will cream themselves. but soon as a you try something else, and omg get rid of the little 6 sided ring, they go ape shait. tna nees bigger arenas but that takes a little time. those fans think tna owes them, but reality check: they get in for free, and are a small minority of tnas fans, that and with what those fans like , tna hasn't drawn jack in ppv buys. largest ppvs did close to 60k buys. tna averages 15-20k buys, and lowest buy last year was 7k buys. back in the weekly days, tna did 3-7k average buys.

the fans want wrestling, last night they had it, and still didn't accept it. some fans can never be happy nor give something new a chance. its going to be a lot of trial and error in booking this year, it takes time to find the right mix. come 2011 the big picture will stat to be revealed. tna will grow, and the small minority who just wanted something that wasn't trying to compete with wwe will be unhappy, big fn deal. tna has no choice but to go head to head. A they are on national fn tv. B the networks like to see growth. C if they don't try to grow, eventually tna will lose fans and all they will have are the most hardcore which will give them a smaller rating, and thus get them pulled off air. D they are finally spending real money, so they have to continue to get to the next step.

those fans just live on the net, and care about everything that goes on behind the scenes and don't try to be entertained and suprised much. The net is both a good and bad thing for wrestling sometimes. tna fans wanted change, but when that change comes, they cry we want the same old ****. make up your mind

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not really a wrestling fan and am going off a hazey old memory here...but when TNA first started, didn't they have a bunch of fans that would turn up every week to cheer the bad guys and boo the good guys no matter what?

Now, I fully understand the idea of "you pays your money, you makes your choice", but surely part of enjoying wrestling is suspending disbelief etc. If a 'bad guy' isn't good at making you hate him, don't boo. If a good guy isn't good at making you like him, don't cheer. However if you're 'smart' to the business or whatever and you intend to go against the grain for the sake of going against the grain, no matter how good someone is at being a 'heel' or 'face' thats pretty childish/pointless.

As for how this related to TNA's situation now, they're in a possition where they have less than 2000 people in a building. If they are going to compete with WWE, it's essential that they have control of their product. People boo'ing Sean Waltman 'just because' for example...a new wrestling fan will have no idea why it's happening, so it's confusing.

At the end of they day its a free TV taping. They need to control their product. 'Smart' fans in the crowd who want to sound clever by referencing someones drug problems or backstage persona should pay for a house show ticket. Or just grow up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm not really a wrestling fan and am going off a hazey old memory here...but when TNA first started, didn't they have a bunch of fans that would turn up every week to cheer the bad guys and boo the good guys no matter what?

Now, I fully understand the idea of "you pays your money, you makes your choice", but surely part of enjoying wrestling is suspending disbelief etc. If a 'bad guy' isn't good at making you hate him, don't boo. If a good guy isn't good at making you like him, don't cheer. However if you're 'smart' to the business or whatever and you intend to go against the grain for the sake of going against the grain, no matter how good someone is at being a 'heel' or 'face' thats pretty childish/pointless.

As for how this related to TNA's situation now, they're in a possition where they have less than 2000 people in a building. If they are going to compete with WWE, it's essential that they have control of their product. People boo'ing Sean Waltman 'just because' for example...a new wrestling fan will have no idea why it's happening, so it's confusing.

At the end of they day its a free TV taping. They need to control their product. 'Smart' fans in the crowd who want to sound clever by referencing someones drug problems or backstage persona should pay for a house show ticket. Or just grow up.

This has been a problem with the world of wrestling as soon as "Attitude" became mainstream. THe problem is with bubblegum good guys there isnt much to them. The bad guy is always more interesting. Clearly what TNA needs to do is WHAT THE FANS WANT! Make Daniels and Styles and all those guys faces, make Morley, Angle, all those guys heels.

Wow. Just read spolers for the taping tonight. What's up with that finish to the main event? Why on earth are they doing that? I thought they wanted to be different than WWE and being a serious competitor to them... but instead they're constantly copying them and more importantly giving them free PR again and again... I don't get it. If anyone does get it, please explain. :confused:

This has been a problem with the world of wrestling as soon as "Attitude" became mainstream. THe problem is with bubblegum good guys there isnt much to them. The bad guy is always more interesting. Clearly what TNA needs to do is WHAT THE FANS WANT! Make Daniels and Styles and all those guys faces, make Morley, Angle, all those guys heels.

appraently that seems like what they are doing

* A.J. Styles defeated Kurt Angle with an ankle lock. This match was described as an 'Orlando Screw Job'. Earl Hebner was the referee for this match and he had them ring the bell. Styles, Flair, and Hebner left the ringside area. After the match, Hulk Hogan came out and Angle spat in his face. Angle went to the announce table and took Mike Tenay's chair and throw it into the stage.

Wow, I had no idea things were that dire. How does TNA make money? Are they making money? Do they run regular house shows?

tna house shows draw 300-700 people on average. a few now than then reach a 1000 , the uk one i think has a bigger crowd coming up. but house shows arent really a draw for them yet. they don't do as many as wwe yet either. its a good way to get the product out, they prob do make a small profit from them. tna are making a small profit at least and no losing money.

Clearly what TNA needs to do is WHAT THE FANS WANT! Make Daniels and Styles and all those guys faces, make Morley, Angle, all those guys heels.

But it they make all the 'TNA' guys 'good guys' and the like of Hogan, Jerrett, Morley, Nash etc heels, wont people just complain when the heels win all the time?

As I see it, the whole point of wrestling is that the bad guys constantly get the better of the good guys by fair means or foul, only for the good guy to get that one big win in the end.

Maybe thats just a very black and white way of looking at it though. I see your point about letting people cheer who they want to cheer and boo who they want to boo.

But it they make all the 'TNA' guys 'good guys' and the like of Hogan, Jerrett, Morley, Nash etc heels, wont people just complain when the heels win all the time?

As I see it, the whole point of wrestling is that the bad guys constantly get the better of the good guys by fair means or foul, only for the good guy to get that one big win in the end.

Maybe thats just a very black and white way of looking at it though. I see your point about letting people cheer who they want to cheer and boo who they want to boo.

i don't think it will be so clear cut on faces heels some will be sure no doubt, but overall no. sting though seems to be in the middle because he doesn't really know who to trust.

nash i dunno who he sides with in this. with hall and nash "gone" in storyline thursday, he can either A still side with hulk or go and do something with them. all depends. he was displeased with how they acted last night when hogan and eric told them they have to grow up and do this for real this time. no ones spot is safe in the company everyone has to earn that spot.

What a bad show.

Hated the way Kendrick debuted. You're going to bring in a guy that was main eventing on Smackdown! as recently as a year and a half ago, just to have him lose in your opening match for a mid-card title? He should be a bigger deal than that.

Daniels losing to Morley is ridiculous. I think we've all touched on that one enough.

I don't care about women's wrestling, so I can't comment on ODB/Tara.

Invasion dropping the belts to Morgan/Hernandez doesn't make any sense to me. Seems to me that World Elite has completely disbanded, and I haven't seen any mention of it whatsoever. They could have done it and I just missed it, but the only thing I've seen of Eric Young was him smiling ear to ear at the site of Flair 1/4. As for BI losing the belts, I could have been okay with it. If it were to a team that made sense. Maybe MCMG if they hadn't lost to Generation ME. Now you've got two guys on the verge of breaking out, stuck in the midcard feuding with who? The Invasion, who they just beat cleanly to take the belts? Meh.

Wolfe/Dinero was one of the few things they did right on this show. Legitimate finish with Wolfe having worked on the knee all match. I wish Doug Williams and Wolfe would trade finishers, though. That lariat just doesn't do it for me, not at the upper-midcard level.

Beer Money going over old guys was okay. To be honest, I was hoping to see James Storm get pinned, and Roode show some frustration, leading to an eventual Roode heel turn with Flair as his manager. I feel if Roode went back to his gimmick before he formed Beer Money, and had Flair as his manager, he would go through the roof. (I know, tag teams are awesome. And I hate breaking them up, too. But Roode is a main event talent, and we all know the split is going to happen sooner or later. Split them now, and bring back Chris Harris for an AMW reunion.)

Abyss is such a joke now. Ever since he lost James Mitchell, his character is been sliding downhill. Anderson getting the win was good, but we all know the way he went about it was lame.

The main event really wasn't that good. Their match on iMPACT! was a lot better. And I didn't like the ending. Like I stated previously, I was really hoping for a Beer Money split, Roode heel turn, Flair as his manager and they target AJ and the strap. I was wishing that's where they were going with Flair watching AJ so closely. I didn't like AJ as a heel back in the weekly PPV's, I didn't like him as a heel with Kurt/Tomko, and I doubt I'll like him as a heel now. He's just not very good at it.

Obviously. You must think about yourself first and only. I wish doctors and farmers and such worked like that as well.

America's problem, as a friendly neighbor to your north, is how selfish you are in the fact the rest of the world hates you. Maybe if you worked on that second thing a bit some of the first problems like economy and stuff would go away. If more countries were stable and economically diverse, thats more trade, more trade = more production, more production = more jobs....

Sometimes I really really really hate how dense and selfish people can be (Canadians, Americans, Brits, Japanease, ext ext ext) it just seems to shine as bright in America as the red, white, & blue.

You do realize that that clown doesn't represent our country - the citizens or the government - right? You do realize that within 48 hours of the Earthquake, America had donated over a hundred million dollars to the Red Cross alone, right? You do realize that America is going to rebuild that country from the ground up, right?

Maybe if the rest of the world started judging this country based on the entire population instead of a few ignorant, selfish tools then they wouldn't hate us so much. And maybe if they did that, we'd actually care what they think of us....

i thought th ppv overall was one of the best tna has ever done in a long time. considering the lack of time for any real build with everything starting from scratch.

kendrick losing im good with. he wasn't a main eventer, a short sting on smackdown the B show of the wwe and he was mostly losing to top guys, then went to raw and went down hill.

sean morley, i like him. he will be used much like in wwe, but better this time instead of jobbing always. but he will put guys over. and i thought the match was pretty good, daniels didn't have to rely on doing a spot fest. i do think they should have cut down seans promo some though.

abyss i think he needs to be a heel. but i wonder what they plan to do with the raven stevie abyss fued. i think tommy dreamer will get involved in that and raven will get in abyss's mind and turn him back into a sick monster. and dreamer will be the whiping boy for abyss.

on aj as a heel. all of those times aj was a weak coward though. flair will get aj to be confident and dirty. much stronger heel. and this is the best thing to ever happen to aj

aj has been a worthless champ since he won the belt. booked as a weak champ much like rey mysterio was in wwe. even aj complained to russo about that. jan 4th, hulk put over aj after his match, and flair was looking on at the main event. then you have flair puting him over last impact, then ppv joining him.

so aj has a chance to shine, time will tell. but flair is the best guy to put with him to get aj over for once.