Diary Preview Thread

<p>Some of you may know I am currently working on a mod for 2012 as a current day real world mod. I'm doing this for many reasons and it has me itching to write a diary.</p><p> </p><p>

WWE in 2012</p><p> </p><p>

I've really enjoyed the emergence of CM Punk, Mark Henry, Del Rio, and Christian becoming solid main eventers since Wrestlemania. A lot of things I like about the WWE right now and I think I could have fun doing a diary in 2012 for this promotion. What could be better than having your choice of workers and booking things however you wanted? I could finally do what everyone complains about and turn Cena heel or I could leave him face and tease the heel turn for months and months only for it not to happen. The Rock could return for a few PPVs a year and take on the best WWE has to offer in an attempt to put some of those guys over.</p><p> </p><p>

TNA in 2012</p><p> </p><p>

Love the James Storm and Bobby Roode feud. I like how TNA is doing things at the moment and again I think it would be fun to play as them. The idea of John Morrison joining the roster is a fun idea to run with. It would be nice to compete with the WWE and possibly beat them eventually.</p><p> </p><p>

Local to Global 2012</p><p> </p><p>

The past 2 years I've been paying more attention to the Michigan indy wrestling scene and I like a lot of the local talent. We have characters like Tommy Treznik the Mad Scientist, and the Caveman Tyler Elkins. Established stars like Rhino, Petey Williams, Zach Gowen, Sabu, and Truth Martini. So I think it would be fun to mix in guys like T.D. and them to see how far I could take a local promotion. Maybe I could get to cult eventually or even national.</p><p> </p><p>

TNA vs WWE in 2012</p><p> </p><p>

I could combine the WWE and TNA diary though as a TNA vs WWE diary. That would be fun too I think. I just wouldn't post long descriptions. It could be fun to actually control the top 2 companies and just book things how I think they should be done.</p>

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am hoping create the opening post for the TEW 2010 version of NEO either tomorrow or Monday, but to tide you over here is the first of many surveymonkey surveys that will be apart of the diary. Please excuse some of the text in the questions as they refer to a post I have not yet made. ;)

NEO Opening Post Survey

Edit: The start of the new NEO diary will be Monday, December 5th, 2011

So my USPW Diary is dead. The mistake I made was trying to start a diary before buying the game. Now that I own TEW, I've seen the fun of the small promotions. So tell me what you'd want to see of the following options:

*Mid Atlantic Wrestling in 2014, the regional war

*High Impact Wrestling in 2013, fresh off opening

*ACPW in 2010

*A 0/0/0/0 game in 2010

*A game set in the CommunityVerse/Board Effort Data based on what I have

I want to see an in-depth, exciting diary for a non-real world, non-Cverse mod. Not because I don't like diaries from the other two areas (I've written for both, after all), but I think the board is crying out for something a bit different. :)

So my USPW Diary is dead. The mistake I made was trying to start a diary before buying the game. Now that I own TEW, I've seen the fun of the small promotions. So tell me what you'd want to see of the following options:

*Mid Atlantic Wrestling in 2014, the regional war

*ACPW in 2010

*A 0/0/0/0 game in 2010

Well from a purely selfish standpoint I would love to see something from one of your promotions in the CommunityVerse (Or if you want use one of mine...:p). Maybe that would bring interest back towards that mod and we can bring it back from the dead. Actually dvdWarrior's promotion seems like it would be fun to do a diary on so maybe you could look into that if you don't want to do one of your own promotions.

Out of the other options well I personally love ACPW and MAW so either of them would be cool as well.

YES YES YES YES!!!!

HIW are my favourite company in the cverse and to my knowledge noone else has ever done a diary with them apart from my old 97 one.

Not to mention send you all my old graphics/events/etc

If you do this I promise to comment on every post and vote for it in DoTM awards every month.

And in 2013 you might be able to put on some dream matches...

Dark Angel. UK Dragon. Ricky Storm. Joey Beauchamp. Byron. Red Dragon...

I'd love to see ACPW too but its pretty much the same product anyway and HIW rules.

This definitely. Like BHK said, it would generate some interest into the mod and you can start from almost a blank canvas. I remember back in the time when TEW2008 wasn't yet released and I haven't played any mod, but was gearing to buy 08, I read Marcel's amazing ROF diary from 2007. When I got the demo of 2008 I was so overwhelmed with all the stuff going on in the WWE, so I decided to launch CornellVerse and picked ROF. And here I am :D

I am still quite new to this whole diary thing but if my "Adapt or Die: The National Wrestling Alliance in 1995" diary goes well then I have an idea for another one. If you haven't checked out my diary I would really be greatfull if you did. New Card going up tonight but only two shows in so still pretty much at the start.

Anyway as I was saying if it goes well I want to do a Shimmer diary as I am a big fan of womens wrestling. I think that would be really interesting but I am not sure if anyone would read it. I think it could be very interesting and if I tried to copy the Shimmer model as much as possible it wouldn't actually be that much effort running it. Bring in some of the old WWE Diva's like Candice Michelle and Melina Perez and have a sort of battle between Shimmer alumni and the "less talented" Diva's.

Also a diary based in either 2001 or 2002 on the brief promotion World Wrestling Allstars I think would be interesting. Probably either after the disasterous PPV in February 2002 or during the 2002 tour of Europe and Retribution PPV which had the likes of Sting and Lex Luger. There is also the chance of doing WWA after the set up of TNA which would be interesting I think.

I'm basically going to start a new dynasty based in the cornellverse, sorry real world readers!!!

I have it down to three different ones that I've been looking at:

1) AAA since I've always liked women's wrestling and promotions like shimmer are always fun to watch. The story would center around Jaime Quine stepping out of her sister's shadow and marking her own legacy.

2) WLW only because I have an idea of following my American booker around Japan and trying to understand the language and culture while running the promotion. This would be great for some good comedy... not that I'm going to turn WLW into a comedic product but you get the idea.

3) MPWF since it's another way to get out of the US and do something different. Honestly, to me, this will be harder since I'm more familiar with Japan. (Seeing that I did spend two weeks over there a couple years back)

I'm already working on a backstory for the WLW one and I thought some people would be intrigued to see it come about. It probably won't be as active as other dynasties are but it would be a start. I'd rather start writing something, whether it's a backstory or just jump right into a story, while I bounce the idea off of anyone who is intrigued by these ideas.

Let me know what ya'll think.

I'm basically going to start a new dynasty based in the cornellverse, sorry real world readers!!!

I have it down to three different ones that I've been looking at:

1) AAA since I've always liked women's wrestling and promotions like shimmer are always fun to watch. The story would center around Jaime Quine stepping out of her sister's shadow and marking her own legacy.

2) WLW only because I have an idea of following my American booker around Japan and trying to understand the language and culture while running the promotion. This would be great for some good comedy... not that I'm going to turn WLW into a comedic product but you get the idea.

3) MPWF since it's another way to get out of the US and do something different. Honestly, to me, this will be harder since I'm more familiar with Japan. (Seeing that I did spend two weeks over there a couple years back)

I'm already working on a backstory for the WLW one and I thought some people would be intrigued to see it come about. It probably won't be as active as other dynasties are but it would be a start. I'd rather start writing something, whether it's a backstory or just jump right into a story, while I bounce the idea off of anyone who is intrigued by these ideas.

Let me know what ya'll think.

Seems like you've already made up your mind which one to me! :D

Ive always really liked the idea of WLW - masks, cruisers/juniors, fun imports, unique product - but never had a go with them. Mainly because I play long-term games and gavent played loads of companies but also because I'm just a bit scared of Japan.

I'd definitely read it though and be happy to talk about/critique ideas and possible routes

Seems like you've already made up your mind which one to me! :D

Ive always really liked the idea of WLW - masks, cruisers/juniors, fun imports, unique product - but never had a go with them. Mainly because I play long-term games and gavent played loads of companies but also because I'm just a bit scared of Japan.

I'd definitely read it though and be happy to talk about/critique ideas and possible routes

Thanks, Boltinho. I was scared too because I like the Japanese promotions but I've never had a real lengthy game with them. I just thought it'd make me do it. And I thought I'd have some fun even if I do go bankrupt. :D

Thinking of starting a new dynasty with the back story basically me playing as Eric Tyler has i take over the Wrestling Premier League and the story is from his eyes as he builds up the company.

let me know what you think.

Eric Tyler is one of those people that turns up in 90% of diaries, and given that I usually turn away from characters for that reason (rarely, if ever, hire Champagne Lover or Hell Monkey). But...if the story is good, then Tyler could be a perfect character to see the world through the eyes of (just remember he's Eric Tyler, and not you though!).

WPL is a very old-school product so I would try to make sure the roster fits from the start. :)

Eric Tyler is one of those people that turns up in 90% of diaries, and given that I usually turn away from characters for that reason (rarely, if ever, hire Champagne Lover or Hell Monkey). But...if the story is good, then Tyler could be a perfect character to see the world through the eyes of (just remember he's Eric Tyler, and not you though!).

WPL is a very old-school product so I would try to make sure the roster fits from the start. :)

Yeah i know where you coming from, I'm thinking of using the same idea but with Rip Chord. I've never really done a MAW game but there starting roster is pretty solid so it could make for a fun game to do.

Thinking of starting a new dynasty with the back story basically me playing as Eric Tyler has i take over the Wrestling Premier League and the story is from his eyes as he builds up the company.

let me know what you think.

Yeah i know where you coming from, I'm thinking of using the same idea but with Rip Chord. I've never really done a MAW game but there starting roster is pretty solid so it could make for a fun game to do.

Why don't you just set out to do a short term diary? Do Eric and WPL for a set period of 2 months so you can build towards a single big show

It seems like youre skipping around doing lots of things and thats fine but doing a short-term rather than getting started and fizzling out might help you not get bored straight away.

Just a thought... :)

Is it just me, or is thinking up gimmicks and characters for babyfaces a lot harder than it is for heels?

In USPW's lower card at the moment there are about 10 heels, all with distinct characters (admittedly four are part of tag teams). Compared to... 6 babyfaces. And four of THOSE are tag teams.

It seems that every time I hire a guy (and I'm trying to sign guys USPW would go after; Rayne Man, Brandon Smith, Bradford Peverell) they always seem to instantly jump into my mind with heel characters ready to go. Despite me signing all of the ones I mentioned specifically to play babyfaces. I just took a step back and realised "no.. actually that character would probably get booed" or "actually, that gimmick works better as a heel because then he can do X and Y"). That's not mentioning the four or so guys I signed because I had a heel character in mind already and wanted someone to play it.

Does anyone else have this problem? And how do you fix it? How do you come up with babyface characters that are more than just "I'm a good guy because I'm not a dick"?

Is it just me, or is thinking up gimmicks and characters for babyfaces a lot harder than it is for heels?

In USPW's lower card at the moment there are about 10 heels, all with distinct characters (admittedly four are part of tag teams). Compared to... 6 babyfaces. And four of THOSE are tag teams.

It seems that every time I hire a guy (and I'm trying to sign guys USPW would go after; Rayne Man, Brandon Smith, Bradford Peverell) they always seem to instantly jump into my mind with heel characters ready to go. Despite me signing all of the ones I mentioned specifically to play babyfaces. I just took a step back and realised "no.. actually that character would probably get booed" or "actually, that gimmick works better as a heel because then he can do X and Y"). That's not mentioning the four or so guys I signed because I had a heel character in mind already and wanted someone to play it.

Does anyone else have this problem? And how do you fix it? How do you come up with babyface characters that are more than just "I'm a good guy because I'm not a dick"?

I know what you mean. Im in no way a good source of advice for this but Id say when you're not sure - steal.

Just base them on one of your mates or a hero from a book/film. Why do you like them? Whats the best thing about them? Loyalty? Jokes? Supportiveness? Not afraid to speak their mind? Tough love? Honour?

With the room you get in a diary most characters are caricatures anyway. Just base them one one attribute.

How do you come up with babyface characters that are more than just "I'm a good guy because I'm not a dick"?

This is USPW - that's pretty much the only requirement! I just look at the babyfaces from the late 80s/early 90s and go from there. Typically they are very patriotic, which is always an easy one, overly colourful (yes, I'm talking to you Koko B Ware), or so talented that they seem to become a babyface without any real help (Bret Hart, Randy Savage etc.).

USPW: The Rise of a Champion

Deep in the locker room past the dark empty hallways are a group of men who are larger than life. They are gearing up for another night of "family friendly" wrestling as if there were truly such a thing. One man oversees the whole operation and that man is the legend Sam Strong.

A friendship is seen among many of the veterans backstage. Peter Valentine is seen joking around with Giant Redwood.

Meanwhile the wheels are spinning in the owners head. Nobody sure what exactly he is thinking. Could be memories of his epic feud with Bruce the Giant. Or could possibly be his memories of joing HGC and getting in the ring to get his final fix of adrenaline before retiring.

The chatter is interupted with Sam Strong doing his pre show routine and asking everyone to come together for a moment.

As the roster gives all of their attention to the legend in silence Sam looks around at everyone in the eye almost as if he was peering into their souls.

"We are fast approaching a new day in USPW. Ever since I bought this company we have risen leaps and bounds from what we once were."

Most of the wrestlers who have been with the company the whole time have a slight smirk. Others look on wondering where he is going with this.

"However I feel as if we may be peaking right now with things as they are."

The smirks suddenly seem to go away and everyone looks a little more serious for a moment.

"I know we can compete with TCW and SWF but things have to change. I am not talking about firing anyone or hiring anyone in particular but I do think that we need to slowly evolve with our audience. Our fans won't be 12 forever."

Chris Caulfield can be seen nodding his head in agreement.

"I don't want to have hardcore matches but I do want to adjust our booking some. I've spoke with Shane about bringing in a new booker and he has agreed that it may be best for him to focus on his on screen character and aid with the booking team as an assistant to the head booker."

Giant Redwood asks inquisitively, "have you filled the position yet?"

"Yes, Shane actually suggested a kid who had been booking a tradition meets modern sports entertainment product out of the Great Lakes region. I've researched him and his ideas are fresh and interesting espescially to our audience. We really feel he has what it takes."

A worried look forms on Valentines face. "What does this mean to us veterans? Is he someone who is going to replace the backbone of this company?"

Sam in a very firm voice reassures Valentine. "He will not be changing me as owner and I assure you so long as you perform you will have a place here. We just need to shake up our storylines and our match ups. It will be a slow process in our run to become a house hold name nation wide."

"USPW will be the #1 company in the US. I am not concerned with branching out to other countries. It's all about our home turf and taking care of our own. USPW is a family and we will continue to be long into the future. While we may not be considered a family friendly product we will still be a promotion that parents won't be afraid to let their children watch."

Sam pauses for a moment allowing anyone to speak up. "Ok well I will have a meeting with him in the next few days to go over his plans and see how they fit within the USPW structure. Once we are on the same page he will officially take over as head booker. As always my door is open if you wish to speak about anything. Thanks for your time. Go out there and perform well guys."

The locker room seems taken back from the announcement but goes on planning their matches.

Just trying to get out my idea for an initial USPW backstory. Will I get around to a diary I dunno. If I do though USPW: Rise of a Champion may be it.

USPW: Rise of a Champion

"Nicky! Nicky! Can I ask you some questions?"

Champion turns around with sweat running down his face after another hard fought loss.

"Sure..."

The staff member asks, "week after week you have been losing close matches. Do you know what is wrong?"

Nicky looking frustrated replies, "don't you think if I knew I'd fix it? Of course I am trying to figure it out."

Still prying into Nicky. "Well what are you doing to turn things around?"

Nicky snatches the microphone. "Listen up. I have been watching my match footage with my mentor Sam Strong. We have picked everything apart. This has been the roughest point in my career. I should be entering my best period. I am done with this interview."

He drops the microphone and walks off angry.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind that this is a rough draft, I haven't proof read it once. But then, this is the preview thread, so I guess this still being in pre-production is ok!

The lights faded, the screen crackled to life, and Silversun Pickup’s
Panic Switch
erupted through the speakers.

This was Malice in Wonderland.

The show kicked off with a bang and never slowed down. Bryan Vessey and Eddie Peak started things off, setting the bar high with a brutal steel cage match designed to keep Peak’s Hellfire Club cohorts from running interference. It didn’t entirely serve its purpose, as Acid was able to scramble to the top and leap into the ring, putting his health on the line to prevent Vessey from winning. That proved to be fruitless, though, as Vessey eventually planted both with a pair of devastating Vessey Plexes and pinned Peak for the win, ending their rivalry.

The surprise of the night came next, seeing The New Wave defend the Tag Team Championship against two number one contender teams in The Tag Team Specialists and The Machines. As far as tag team exhibitions go, this was among the best seen in quite a while, finishing only when The New Wave blasted Robert Oxford with a Wave of Mutilation to cap off an intense match up.

Edd Stone was also there, defending his All Action title in an acrobatic high wire match against frequent rivals Harry Allen and Aaron Andrews. Both Ford Gumble and Chance Fortune were on hand to ensure no interference from Charlie Thatcher or Freddy Huggins took place, but it was cheating of a less than physical variety that decided the match. With Edd on the outside, Laura Huggins could be seen greasing up his back, allowing the champ to leap up on the high wires and shimmy to the title belt with Andrews and Allen slipping off of him at every opportunity, unable to pull him to the ground.

In a pair of exciting contests, Troy Tornado overcame the thorn in his side known as Benny Benson and Sammy Bach claimed his first International Title after defeating Joshua Taylor. But it was what happened after that contest that truly shocked, as Bach took a steel chair and decimated Taylor, forcing EMTs to cart him of on stretcher.

The next match, between Rick Law and Koshiro Ino, was nothing short of equal throughout. The two brawlers had an answer to everything the other threw at them throughout the contest, and even though Ino came away with the win, this one provided little conclusion to a hot rivalry.

The semi main event was quite possibly the most anticipated of the evening, featuring the final chapter of the storied Freedom Fighters/Syndicate storyline. The main players of the angle had slowly been whittled down to four: RDJ, Joey Minnesota, Wolf Hawkins, and, of course, Tommy Cornell. If The Syndicate won, neither RDJ nor Minnesota would be granted a singles match against either Cornell or Hawkins for as long as the two officially associated according to TCW bylaws. But if The Freedom Fighters won, Cornell and Hawkins would be forced apart, not allowed to team together for a year.

The match that followed was long and brutal. Everyone involved, save for RDJ, is an accomplished technician, but what resulted was nothing more than a dramatic brawl. Near fall after near fall, each team displayed why exactly they were the last ones standing in this long in brutal war. They would truly go to any lengths to win, as evidenced by Tommy Cornell hitting an explosive Rough Rider on RDJ on the outside. But when he slid into the ring he found himself the victim of an Empire Spiral from Minnesota, who quickly as he could, which, I might add, was not quick at all, hopped to his feet, nailing a charging Wolf Hawkins with a Minnesota Salute, securing the win for his team and disbanding The Syndicate once and for all!

And finally, the main event of the night. The culmination of months of conflict. Rocky Golden, the champion. Sam Keith, the challenger. Golden had spent the past five months as champion, defeating the likes of Troy Tornado, Bryan Vessey, and, of course, the great Tommy Cornell using his potent Rack submission hold. But what he never expected was to find a living legend nipping at his heels.

In the fallout of The Syndicates implosion, TCW fans began to look at Sam Keith for what he was: an aging veteran with limited gas in the tank. He wasn’t as strong, wasn’t as fast, wasn’t as crisp as he once was. He was on the wrong side of forty and, and he looked it, the knee brace on his left leg a constant talking point. But one thing Sam Keith still was and always will be was mean. Using his deadly Proton Lock, Keith began to tap everyone in his path. Joey Minnesota, RDJ, and, just like the champ, Bryan Vessey.

With his sudden resurgence, Keith earned his way into a battle royal to determine the newest number one contender in TCW. After nearly 30 minutes, the match came down to Keith and Vessey, with Keith using a distraction from Eddie Peak’s Hellfire Club to snatch victory away Vessey.

Golden never recognized the victory as legit.

Sure, he honored the challenge, but he saw it as a cheap win. In his eyes, Keith never really earned his shot. But in the months leading up to Malice in Wonderland, in all of their many clashes, Golden could never submit Keith with The Rack. In turn, Keith found it nearly impossible to slap the Proton Lock on Golden, the powerful champion forcing himself free before the hold could ever be locked in.

And last night, the two finally found themselves locking up in a one on one battle. No more tags, no more multi man matches, just two men doing battle. The young and the old. The optimistic and the world weary. The champion and the challenger.

The match was hard hitting. Golden has never been big on technique, and did his best to beat Keith to a pulp. Keith had 30 years of experience on hand, though, and he wasn’t about to let Golden simply beat him into submission. With reckless abandon, the near fifty year old competitor threw himself into Golden multiple times, hammering him to the ground with his vast knowledge of techniques. Multiple times both men looked to be on the brink of the end, only to will themselves back into this war that they had created. Neither was going to be able to pin the other.

No, this match would be decided by submission. There was no other way. Not by tapout. Neither would admit defeat. No, they would have to be forced into unconsciousness. That was the only way, and that was how it happened. After month’s of being unable to finish one another, one man finally defeated the other. When the loser finally awoke, it was to the image of the victor kneeling, hugging the title tight to his chest, his long hair hanging down over his face.

The cheers were deafening.
The screen faded to black. Slowly, the lights in the arena came to life. The man in the center of the ring came into focus, and the crowd in the McGaw Arena roared their approval.

A smirk formed across his bearded face as he rubbed the World Championship he wore proudly around his waist. He took a moment to bask in the crowd reaction before raising a microphone to his lips.

“This looks pretty damn good, don’t ya think?” Sam Keith asked, to a thunderous approval from the crowd.

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/ae141/coco_beans08/SamKeith.jpg

Ideas?

So, I really want to start a diary (my first one), but want to play outside the Default data (currently on March 2014 with SWF after stints with NYCW and 5SSW). My question is this: which would the community prefer because I have ideas for every single one of these?

JCP - A Flair For The Gold (The Golden Age Mod - Real World)

CPW - Challenge Supreme? No Way Dude. (That 70's Mod - CVerse)

ECW - Bill & Ted's Hardcore Journey (Montreal Aftermath Mod - Real World)

DAVE - One Word: Survive (CVerse 2001 Mod)

It seems the CVerse lends itself to more creative diary writing, but the Real World diaries might be more fun to book.

Since I can't decide, I'll let you guys choose.

(Note: This would start up after I hit 5 full years with the default data. Right now, I'm struggling with SWF at Cult, but if I get back up to a place that makes it not frustrating to book, I may do a SWF 2015: We're Back!!!!! Diary)

So, I really want to start a diary (my first one), but want to play outside the Default data (currently on March 2014 with SWF after stints with NYCW and 5SSW). My question is this: which would the community prefer because I have ideas for every single one of these?

JCP - A Flair For The Gold (The Golden Age Mod - Real World)

CPW - Challenge Supreme? No Way Dude. (That 70's Mod - CVerse)

ECW - Bill & Ted's Hardcore Journey (Montreal Aftermath Mod - Real World)

DAVE - One Word: Survive (CVerse 2001 Mod)

It seems the CVerse lends itself to more creative diary writing, but the Real World diaries might be more fun to book.

Since I can't decide, I'll let you guys choose.

(Note: This would start up after I hit 5 full years with the default data. Right now, I'm struggling with SWF at Cult, but if I get back up to a place that makes it not frustrating to book, I may do a SWF 2015: We're Back!!!!! Diary)

I would say DAVE, there haven't been many of them on here so you will not have people coming into your diary and talking nonsense about how you have big shoes to fill because of the previous writers who wrote for that promotion.

Archived