Checking on DOTT

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D. Boone hinted that he may have the itch to do it in another thread. What this does it totally throw a monkey wrench in any group effort to update a previous version of DOTT for TEW2010, because all the time the community would have spent on it would be instantly erased if D. Boone released his version.

If you remember the storyline a couple of years ago, D. Boone- an icon- was offended/insulted by a few people here who preferred modern wrestlers and high stats and were not appreciative of his mods (he did a beta modern mod)...or something like that.

D Boone had hard drive issues and lost a lot of his work.

D Boone had then lost his motivation to work on a public D.O.T.T. TEW update, and as far as I can tell, just sat in the sidelines last year.

Based on me lurking and reading old posts, D Boone only works with a couple of people he trusts, and it seems like an elitist bunch that never has time to give updates about progress.

It's a whole big secret.

Everyone walks on eggshells around him when it comes to asking him about DOTT. I agree that great MODs are done by a lead personality who creates his own stats, which some testers, graphics helpers, international helpers, etc. I thought DJFunkDaChris or whoever was a very nice guy when he worked on DOTT last year, but he was an indecisive leader, and seemed to be living in D Boone's shadow, afraid to ever be his own man. The community needs a strong leader to make it work, this isn't the U.N. folks. He spent weeks debating the most minute details, and everyone jumped in and had their own take. And, after all the months of working on it, DJ gave D Boone a link to an older database to check out, as opposed to the group effort. Guess he didn't want to step on D Boone's toes.

Bottom line is that D Boone's silence is deafening, so you might as well try to enjoy Tommy's War of the Immortals II when it comes out, or maybe try and just edit a MOD on your own for your own personal play.

Of course, D Boone can come out of the woodwork and give everyone an official word about D.O.T.T. This would give the community the green light to work on it without him or let everyone to wait 2-4 months.

Sorry if I'm coming off like I'm cutting a promo against D Boone. It's just that he is one of the most intelligent modders of all time, has a great sense of humor, is a walking encyclopedia, knows how the game actually works, has a high level of detail, and believes in game balance as opposed to high stats and insane overness. With all of that pro wrestling knowledge, he should come down from the mountain and let us know about this year's D.O.T.T being released: yes or no. With great power comes great responsibility, you know?

(throws down microphone)

[crickets chirping]

D. Boone hinted that he may have the itch to do it in another thread. What this does it totally throw a monkey wrench in any group effort to update a previous version of DOTT for TEW2010, because all the time the community would have spent on it would be instantly erased if D. Boone released his version.

If you remember the storyline a couple of years ago, D. Boone- an icon- was offended/insulted by a few people here who preferred modern wrestlers and high stats and were not appreciative of his mods (he did a beta modern mod)...or something like that.

D Boone had then lost his motivation to work on a public D.O.T.T. TEW update, and as far as I can tell, just sat in the sidelines last year.

Based on me lurking and reading old posts, D Boone only works with a couple of people he trusts, and it seems like an elitist bunch that never has time to give updates about progress.

It's a whole big secret.

Everyone walks on eggshells around him when it comes to asking him about DOTT. I agree that great MODs are done by a lead personality who creates his own stats, which some testers, graphics helpers, international helpers, etc. I thought DJFunkDaChris or whoever was a very nice guy when he worked on DOTT last year, but he was an indecisive leader, and seemed to be living in D Boone's shadow, afraid to ever be his own man. The community needs a strong leader to make it work, this isn't the U.N. folks. He spent weeks debating the most minute details, and everyone jumped in and had their own take. And, after all the months of working on it, DJ gave D Boone a link to an older database to check out, as opposed to the group effort. Guess he didn't want to step on D Boone's toes.

Bottom line is that D Boone's silence is deafening, so you might as well try to enjoy Tommy's War of the Immortals II when it comes out, or maybe try and just edit a MOD on your own for your own personal play.

Of course, D Boone can come out of the woodwork and give everyone an official word about D.O.T.T. This would give the community the green light to work on it without him or let everyone to wait 2-4 months.

Sorry if I'm coming off like I'm cutting a promo against D Boone. It's just that he is one of the most intelligent modders of all time, has a great sense of humor, is a walking encyclopedia, knows how the game actually works, has a high level of detail, and believes in game balance as opposed to high stats and insane overness. With all of that pro wrestling knowledge, he should come down from the mountain and let us know about this year's D.O.T.T being released: yes or no. With great power comes great responsibility, you know?

(throws down microphone)

[crickets chirping]

Well when you word it as classy as that, I can't imagine why he wouldn't want to run to you to update you on what's going on, daily. I mean, he does it for free so you're right, he definitely has a lot to answer to you for! Who the hell does he think he is to put out something for free and not have the decency to update you on it. Who the hell does he think he is?!?! I mean, who is he to have a life and not be certain whether he can do another mod? It's not like it's a lot of work or anything.

There is an '08 version of DOTT out there that DJChris and a group worked very hard on and it's very playable. Convert that and tweak it yourself. That's what I did. It doesn't throw a monkey wrench in anything as if you want to play around with the data for yourself, go ahead. If a new "official" version is released then great, you can use that one if you choose. Do some work on it instead of waiting for someone to do it for you.

It's not a case of walking on eggshells. It's a case of someone making an excellent product and people respecting that. There's also the case of people coming off entitled and rude, like your post. Being polite or respectful of people and their lives doesn't mean you're kissing ass. It means you're decent.

Signed,

One of the elitists

Well when you word it as classy as that, I can't imagine why he wouldn't want to run to you to update you on what's going on, daily. I mean, he does it for free so you're right, he definitely has a lot to answer to you for! Who the hell does he think he is to put out something for free and not have the decency to update you on it. Who the hell does he think he is?!?! I mean, who is he to have a life and not be certain whether he can do another mod? It's not like it's a lot of work or anything.

There is an '08 version of DOTT out there that DJChris and a group worked very hard on and it's very playable. Convert that and tweak it yourself. That's what I did. It doesn't throw a monkey wrench in anything as if you want to play around with the data for yourself, go ahead. If a new "official" version is released then great, you can use that one if you choose. Do some work on it instead of waiting for someone to do it for you.

It's not a case of walking on eggshells. It's a case of someone making an excellent product and people respecting that. There's also the case of people coming off entitled and rude, like your post. Being polite or respectful of people and their lives doesn't mean you're kissing ass. It means you're decent.

Signed,

One of the elitists

There seems to be an influx of new members who feel like they are supposed to get a mod like DOTT... You bought TEW, it came with the default database. Everything else is icing on the cake.

People are putting in not minutes, hours, weeks, months... but YEARS of work into these FREE mods. I'm sure if he had a set date in mind, he would let you know. People that are currently working on mods, and have an idea in mind, they generally start a "hype thread" a week or so out. If there's no such thread, then there's more than likely nothing to update you on.

I feel like the elitist comment was a little out of line. I feel the very nature of these so called elitist work, shows they aren't such. Again, they do all this work for free. I've worked on several MODs working with my buddies Genadi, TCP, Panix, and even a little with D. Boon. We all do this along with our own full time lives and jobs, again... for free and the love of the game.

If anyone is an elitist it would be the ones who feel they are OWED an answer when there may not even be one to give.

Signed,

One of the elitists

When the community is not allowed to update a mod for the new game without permission from the original mod maker, I certainly think we deserve an answer if there will be a new version or not. ESPECIALLY since PERMISSION to re-release a free product that no one profits on is a MUST!

So that someone else can then take the work and update it for the whole community. This whole "I created it, it's mine etc etc" nonsense really divides the boards as it doesn't allow older great mods such as DOTT (I use DOTT as the example seeing as this is the thread topic) to be updated without asking 10,000 people first if it's ok.

It's a whole big secret.

(throws down microphone)

[crickets chirping]

Wow :eek: Respect Much? If you were doing something that took time and effort 1) For free, 2) Purely for others enjoyment, on top of School, Work, Family and anything else that comes along with living a normal life; Where would you put your priorities. Sorry I'm going to be a little late to work today boss, I have to let these strangers know how/if something is coming along that I'm doing for free.

Signed,

One of the elitists

I can understand why you would say that and if I were involved in the project I'd probably been offended by what was said as well; but don't you think signing your post " One of the elitists " is just feeding the beast?

When the community is not allowed to update a mod for the new game without permission from the original mod maker, I certainly think we deserve an answer if there will be a new version or not. ESPECIALLY since PERMISSION to re-release a free product that no one profits on is a MUST!

So that someone else can then take the work and update it for the whole community. This whole "I created it, it's mine etc etc" nonsense really divides the boards as it doesn't allow older great mods such as DOTT (I use DOTT as the example seeing as this is the thread topic) to be updated without asking 10,000 people first if it's ok.

As it should be its not hard to ask someone to use something that's the product of their hard work, their countless hours of time put into something. I'd say 99% of the people and 99% of the stuff that is put in any of these threads are free to be used reproduced, AS LONG AS CREDIT IS GIVEN.

Look at it this way if you did something that you put a countless amount of time and an endless amount of effort into, and someone came along copied your idea and made a few minute changes and took/got all the credit, wouldn't you be a little ticked?

As one of the elitists, I guess I have to drag myself over to tell you that we are working on DOTT for TEW10, but it's a slow process as we're also working on another unrelated wrestling project with nothing to do with this game. Combine that with the fact that we're all grown men with families, jobs and other activities, I guess you can see why we aren't on the board 24/7 to tell everyone about everything we're doing.

But don't you worry, DaceSenoit and Telfie -- if those are your real names, which I HIGHLY doubt. I'll make sure to keep you two updated at all moments of the day on the status of the project. That's the least we can do after all you two have done for us. Maybe I'll post it up on one of those Twitter things that you kids like to use.

Amazing...I cut a promo with *valid points* and the main thing people focus on is being called an "elitist". Where you were guys when DJChris and the rest were spinning their wheels last year?

Don't downplay "tweaking" a mod. All 1,000+ workers need to be checked out. Liberal/conservative and masks need to be set, and other stuff. The networks have to be checked. This requires a lot of time to be tested.

I'm so glad I had to cut a promo to force you elitists to come out of the closet and let us know that you guys are working on it in your free time.

I'm not saying I am ENTITLED to it. And I appreciate everyone's FREE LABOR.

I wanted to know if "tweaking" last year's DOTT would be a waste of time if D Boone was already working on it or not, since it takes months to tweak by myself, or perhaps the community could organize an effort again.

TEW08 sorely missed D.O.T.T. and due to poor communication by the elitists and "polite leadership" by DJChris, so the community update came too late in TEW08's lifespan. Oh, and it never got "D. Boone Ghost's" STAMP OF APPROVAL, which DJChris needed soooooooooooooo much.

Doesn't really matter at this point, since the elitists have been offended again...what shocking news.

Hey TEW COMMUNITY: forget about D.O.T.T.

D. Boone's Ghost has become the great and powerful Oz. And I don't mean Kevin Nash.

Seriously dudes, only one person agrees with me?

Amazing...I cut a promo with *valid points* and the main thing people focus on is being called an "elitist". Where you were guys when DJChris and the rest were spinning their wheels last year? [/Quote]

Where was I? I was the one that gave him the database with new/edited angles and storylines I created? Where were you besides whining and crying about it?

Don't downplay "tweaking" a mod. All 1,000+ workers need to be checked out. Liberal/conservative and masks need to be set, and other stuff. The networks have to be checked. This requires a lot of time to be tested.

No kidding? Then why don't you try doing some of that work instead of bitching about it? You don't, you just insult the people that are trying to bring you a free mod.

Again, I've been doing it on my own and there's no reason you can't. You just want stuff handed to you and then to insult the people doing it if it doesn't meet your timeline.

I'm so glad I had to cut a promo to force you elitists to come out of the closet and let us know that you guys are working on it in your free time.

I'm not saying I am ENTITLED to it. And I appreciate everyone's FREE LABOR.

Of course you are. You are saying you're entitled to an answer and a database. On top of that you come across like a pompous ass, ironic because that's a label you're trying to push on other people. I feel sorry for you.

If you want to create a database then create one. Boon created this one so yeah, he does have ownership of it and doesn't want someone to make it into an overloaded, unbalanced mod that isn't a part of the series he made. He never said you can't do one on your own using the data, he just doesn't want you to make an official release with the data he created. Why is that so offensive to you or tough to understand? You just don't want to do any work, we get it.

And I love "I cut a promo". Are you a wrestler? Do you think you are one? Are you pulling a "heel turn" on us?

As it should be its not hard to ask someone to use something that's the product of their hard work, their countless hours of time put into something. I'd say 99% of the people and 99% of the stuff that is put in any of these threads are free to be used reproduced, AS LONG AS CREDIT IS GIVEN.

Look at it this way if you did something that you put a countless amount of time and an endless amount of effort into, and someone came along copied your idea and made a few minute changes and took/got all the credit, wouldn't you be a little ticked?

I knew I should have added the point that as long as credit is given... :p And yes if I created something, I would expect to be given the nod for the work I put in. For example I have done maybe around 20-25 cuts on KyKy for the community over the years, nothing much but it's something.

But I would never expect someone to ask my permission to use these cuts in their mods (like I saw recently in another thread). I thought the idea of asking permission for worker cuts was crazy: because if anything, places like TNA and WWE should be giving US permission to cut and manipulate their property in the first place. So it would be hypocritical of me to then ask that I be asked if it was ok to use the cuts I made using their photos.

Being given deserved credit for someones hard work and asking someones permission for redistributing a freely created mod is not the same.

As one of the elitists, I guess I have to drag myself over to tell you that we are working on DOTT for TEW10, but it's a slow process as we're also working on another unrelated wrestling project with nothing to do with this game. Combine that with the fact that we're all grown men with families, jobs and other activities, I guess you can see why we aren't on the board 24/7 to tell everyone about everything we're doing.

But don't you worry, DaceSenoit and Telfie -- if those are your real names, which I HIGHLY doubt. I'll make sure to keep you two updated at all moments of the day on the status of the project. That's the least we can do after all you two have done for us. Maybe I'll post it up on one of those Twitter things that you kids like to use.

Firstly, it's nice to see that you and some others are working on DOTT for TEW10 and I look forward to playing it when it comes out.

Secondly Rick Arnold...if that is your real name which I HIGHLY doubt as well, I nor anyone in this thread ever asked to be "informed at all moments of the day" with the status of the project. All I stated that due to the board rules, that if we're not allowed to update and re-release a mod without the proper permission from the right people then I think at the same time the community should be informed if a mod is being updated or not. I don't think that is asking too much, in fact I think that is quite respectful of the mod makers in question.

That's the least we can do after all you two have done for us. Maybe I'll post it up on one of those Twitter things that you kids like to use.

Since this seems such a well read topic by the guys that worked on dott over the years, i would like to say thank you for all the time you have dedicated to dott over the years, never really played dott much last year as i had given up with tew by the time it was released but i have fond memories of my first dott experience which was playing as lex luger on wrestling spirit, anyway take as long as you want or need, if you gave us a constant update as some expect you would never have time to work on the mod it self

You know, I don't mean to join either side but it seems a lot of people have started beating up on this rhetorical straw man that "yes" or "no" requires constant vigilant attention. I mean, worst case scenario -- WORST CASE -- if they wanted to have someone constantly updating, they could easily pull one of the literally hundreds of posters on this forum and just keep THAT person updated, who could then spend the apparently infinite amount of time it would take to make an update a day.

But nobody's asking for that. In fact, what was asked for, a simple yes/no, was already given. So could we at least, in insulting each other, use legitimate debate tactics?

No, no. You can insult each other. Just do it fairly. Like, I could say to you:

EWBSDM, firstly, your name is spelled wrong you moron, it's BDSM, you mixed up the S and the D. Secondly your avatar looks like some kind of homo Power Rangers reject.

There, see? I said a whole bunch of insults, but I did it in a way that only KINDA misrepresented the facts.

Since this seems such a well read topic by the guys that worked on dott over the years, i would like to say thank you for all the time you have dedicated to dott over the years, never really played dott much last year as i had given up with tew by the time it was released but i have fond memories of my first dott experience which was playing as lex luger on wrestling spirit, anyway take as long as you want or need, if you gave us a constant update as some expect you would never have time to work on the mod it self

Like he said...

Also, really, is it that hard to ask permission to use somebody elses work? Doesn't take a minute to PM somebody asking permission. If you've done a half decent mod I would have hoped you'd spent more time than that in the data editor.

Haha! Well... that didn't go as well as I had hoped.

I really must apologize to the community as a whole. Seriously. :o

You see, I was so desperate for the attention I deserve that I created this DaceSenoit alter-ego to stir the pot. I tried to throw anyone that cared off the tracks by calling myself D Boone, but I was found out. After all, no one is that dumb.

Regardless, it worked!

Now I can go back to being a recluse content in the knowledge that you all love me.

Still... it was a bad joke.

Sorry.

Good enough apology, Mr. Moderator?

:rolleyes:

Haha! Well... that didn't go as well as I had hoped.

I really must apologize to the community as a whole. Seriously. :o

You see, I was so desperate for the attention I deserve that I created this DaceSenoit alter-ego to stir the pot. I tried to throw anyone that cared off the tracks by calling myself D Boone, but I was found out. After all, no one is that dumb.

Regardless, it worked!

Now I can go back to being a recluse content in the knowledge that you all love me.

Still... it was a bad joke.

Sorry.

Good enough apology, Mr. Moderator?

:rolleyes:

Heyyyyyy now, wait one min. I thought i was D.Boone's Ghost. No wait that was last week im Derik B. No umm, oh, that was last week im Mr.T Jobs to me.Oh soooory i was him yesterday.Ahhhhh i remember now i'm Tommy Cornell:eek:

Like he said...

Also, really, is it that hard to ask permission to use somebody elses work? Doesn't take a minute to PM somebody asking permission. If you've done a half decent mod I would have hoped you'd spent more time than that in the data editor.

Exactly! Not once has it ever been mentioned that anyone emailed D. Boon and asked him or anything. It's just vague stuff put out on the board.

Linsolv! You feeling froggy, brother, you better come on and jump! :) I've been taught the Shinni Nu Maki from my time spent in Asia!

TEAM E.L.I.T.E. vs The Masses

So we've learned:

1) An update is being worked on by very busy people.

2) There is no definitive date nor guarantee of an official D.O.T.T. release.

3) Please do not ask about any D.O.T.T. updates, because that will stir the pot and get grown men's panties in an uproar.

4) The only way we were able to get a public response about the STATUS of D.O.T.T. '10 besides a vague comment was for me to cut a promo.

4) D Boon stays above the fray, keeps his jolly humor, and has more class than the elitists that worship him.

In other words, back to square one. But at least I got the elitists to go on the record and officially say not for us to hold our breath.

Clarification to those who attacked me for speaking the truth:

- It is a waste of time for me and others to work on a D.O.T.T. update if D Boon and his minions are working on it.

- The fact that the delay for the Official Release is always caused by a handful of people (who complain about the workload) who keep in communication with The Ghost, whereas the masses are left in the dark is...elitist. You guys don't collaborate with the masses or farm work off.

- Hey shipshirt, I have completed a lot of work, genius. It's tough to do alone. I couldn't release it on my own, of course- that would be against the Mod Rules [and you are soooo idealistic to pull the "ask permission" clause, because D Boon has been a hermit when it comes to D.O.T.T.]. Check out some of the older posts by D Boon while the community was scrambling to update DOTT on its own last year: he almost smirks at the struggling ants trying to build a Tower of Babel. Check out DJFunkChris or whatever his name is acting so HARD to please the All-Knowing and Wonderful Oz. Also, it's total B.S. that you elitists didn't pitch in to release the official version of the DB last year.

Sorry if my tone is abrasive; it's just that:

1. The truth hurts for you guys and I'm calling you out in front of everyone, and I didn't curse you or make personal attacks
  2. D.O.T.T. is the best mod of all time
  3. I want it
  4. The only way for you elitists to respond was for me to cut a promo. For this, I was proven to be correct.

Nothing to see here, move along folks. Go back to your regularly scheduled programming (which is crap, by the way).

Word of the Day

e·lit·ism or é·lit·ism (-ltzm, -l-)

n.

1. The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, financial resources, or forum post count.

a. The sense of entitlement enjoyed by such a group or class of modders.

b. Control, rule, or domination by such a group or class that holds the Official D.O.T.T. Release Stamp.

Archived