2010 Inaugural Draft Discussion thread

Default Data was posted in the previous thread but there was problems with that one so i'll get a new one up when i get the time.

Okay, I downloaded that, but will wait for the corrected version. That one had made the mistake that Derek mentioned concerning deleting all the existing promotions and thereby losing all related information. Also, the description of the database has a pretty big error: 'Alas in 2011 a new crop of owners arose each trying to mold the future of professional wrestling, they way they see it should be.' Pretty certain that is not the word you wanted. :p

TV/PPV will be draftable

You'll probably need to work out the rules for this. Typically there have been restrictions on how many promotions could have a show on a specific network (usually 1, if I recall correctly). And I really haven't looked at the media portion of TEW2010 to know what else might need to be considered due to any changes in the game.

Are we allowed intergrated promotions?

For some reason I was under the impression we weren't...

I don't see anything in the rules preventing it. In fact I don't see anything indicating that this needs to be declared ahead of time or can't be changed during/after the draft. He added the one rule in this thread (which really should be added to the initial post in the sign-up thread) about promotions that declare themselves to be Women only can not then start drafting men (and I'm assuming this only applies to in-ring workers, not managers, announcers, commentators, etc.), but that was because he's allowing such people to put their promotion in areas that already have the max number of promotions. Normally whether or not my promotion was going to include a women's division would be something I'd wait until I saw how my draft was going to decide, but if we need to make that decision before the draft starts, that's fine. It just needs to be specified in the rules somewhere.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are we allowed intergrated promotions?

For some reason I was under the impression we weren't...

yes integration is allowed

I don't see anything in the rules preventing it. In fact I don't see anything indicating that this needs to be declared ahead of time or can't be changed during/after the draft. He added the one rule in this thread (which really should be added to the initial post in the sign-up thread) about promotions that declare themselves to be Women only can not then start drafting men (and I'm assuming this only applies to in-ring workers, not managers, announcers, commentators, etc.), but that was because he's allowing such people to put their promotion in areas that already have the max number of promotions. Normally whether or not my promotion was going to include a women's division would be something I'd wait until I saw how my draft was going to decide, but if we need to make that decision before the draft starts, that's fine. It just needs to be specified in the rules somewhere.

It is mentioned in the sign up thread, above the regional info where I mention the +1 rule for certain regions and what it means.

Just got back from a kids birthday party so after I recharge my batteries (and down a couple aspirin - dam chuck e cheese) i'll get the new data posted.

It is mentioned in the sign up thread, above the regional info where I mention the +1 rule for certain regions and what it means.

Actually, you don't explain there that feds which choose to be women only can't draft any male workers. All it says is that the number of feds per area is increased by 1 if there is going to be a women only fed. Nor is it mentioned in rule 16. Since it would actually make sense for a women only fed that gets a top pick to draft a top male worker and then trade him for the best offer, this rule probably needs to be made explicit in the posted rules. Certainly it makes sense that if you are declaring yourself to be a women only fed, that you shouldn't be drafting male in-ring workers, but in a draft, one strategy for improving your overall draft is to select things others want and then trade to get more than that one pick. This rule is now limiting the strategic options for women only feds in a way that other feds are not being limited.

I did mention that they could draft male workers, just not male wrestlers. I misunderstood what was being asked. I also misunderstood that I wasn't clear enough on the subject for some. To me Womens only means just that. I did mention that while trades are ok they are not recommended, (part of the reason for the strict guidelines) until after the draft. I'll add the info to the sign up thread, but would like input on how to resolve the matter. Option 1: No trades period. Option 2: Remove the +1 rule (which has been taken advantage of already) or Option 3: Disallow Integration, Women workers are ok, but no women wrestlers.

On another note, when I was setting up the initial data, when deleting the contracts, shows, and events, everything was fine Untill I had clicked start new game, in which case I got an error message that promotion x (all of them) has announcer but isn't active at start of the data. When I went into the promotion all announcer slots were set to none. So I fixed that problem by deleting the promotions and didn't think anything of it. Now looking at it there is roughly 70 alter ego's missing. That is the only thing that is not there. If this is a real problem for anyone I can start the data over, which won't take to much (just a lot of clicking)

I did mention that they could draft male workers, just not male wrestlers. I misunderstood what was being asked. I also misunderstood that I wasn't clear enough on the subject for some. To me Womens only means just that. I did mention that while trades are ok they are not recommended, (part of the reason for the strict guidelines) until after the draft. I'll add the info to the sign up thread, but would like input on how to resolve the matter. Option 1: No trades period. Option 2: Remove the +1 rule (which has been taken advantage of already) or Option 3: Disallow Integration, Women workers are ok, but no women wrestlers.

Option 2. :)

On another note, when I was setting up the initial data, when deleting the contracts, shows, and events, everything was fine Untill I had clicked start new game, in which case I got an error message that promotion x (all of them) has announcer but isn't active at start of the data. When I went into the promotion all announcer slots were set to none. So I fixed that problem by deleting the promotions and didn't think anything of it. Now looking at it there is roughly 70 alter ego's missing. That is the only thing that is not there. If this is a real problem for anyone I can start the data over, which won't take to much (just a lot of clicking)

Option 2 is probably better...

And in terms of maintaining data integrity I'd recommend starting over. You can import all of our promotions, you'll just need to change debut dates for existing promotions which shouldn't take long. Certainly not as long as it's taken me to do anything in the CV97 mod (coming soon!). :)

I'll comment on this first, as I'm almost done making a template for drafts myself. You need to not only delete the contracts in the promotions, but also remove the Power Structure and Announcers from within the promotion screen. And you need to do this before you delete the contracts and save the promotion, or you won't be able to fix it. I should have the promotions done later tonight, if you don't want to start over. I haven't done any work on anything else, but I also can't remember if it really matters if the shows and events are still listed, given that the promotions they are attached to will not open until sometime after 2800 (I simply up the opening date for the promotions by 900 years).

Turns out there wasn't much left, as most of the promotions starting with V or later are set to Random open. Here is a link to data that can be used as a template for drafts:

http://www.s90120014.onlinehome.us/files/tew/DraftTemplt.zip

What I did was set the Opening Date for any promotion with a specific date as being 900 years in the future. Then I removed their Power Structure, Announcers and Contracts. The only error I received when running a data check was with the Dojos that belong to a promotion, so I went and set all of the dojos to have no parent company. The game itself removes some things, such as loyalties and promotion relationships, but for the most part, everything is retained so that it could be re-activated if someone wanted to as part of a draft.

I vote for option 4 - The way you currently have it set up, but allow Women Only feds to draft anyone with the stipulation that any male wrestlers (anyone whose preferred Role is Wrestler or Occasional Wrestler) on the roster at the end of the draft will be released. That still allows them to draft guys with the intent of trading them, but prevents them from doing this too much as they may lose the pick entirely if no one wants to trade. Essentially it would be better for them to trade the pick itself rather than drafting a male and then trying to trade him.

Historically, trades have not been all that common in drafts without mystery boxes, so I don't think they should be ruled out entirely. Some people like to have bigger or smaller rosters, and trading picks helps them customize their promotion to their liking. And of course, some people REALLY want a specific guy, and they may try to trade to get that guy. But generally, no one really has much of value to convince someone to trade a guy they picked with a plan in mind.

And with the size of our promotions, it is not likely that anyone can really build that large of a women's division within a promotion, as TEW lists the minimum amount for a Cult promotion as 26 workers and 7 non-workers. That means having a women's division would mean both it and the main roster is likely on the small size. As TMO says, the notion of an Integrated promotion may need to be looked at, as that does open up the options a little bit, but I really don't know how much that would matter.

I vote for option 4 - The way you currently have it set up, but allow Women Only feds to draft anyone with the stipulation that any male wrestlers (anyone whose preferred Role is Wrestler or Occasional Wrestler) on the roster at the end of the draft will be released. That still allows them to draft guys with the intent of trading them, but prevents them from doing this too much as they may lose the pick entirely if no one wants to trade. Essentially it would be better for them to trade the pick itself rather than drafting a male and then trying to trade him.

Historically, trades have not been all that common in drafts without mystery boxes, so I don't think they should be ruled out entirely. Some people like to have bigger or smaller rosters, and trading picks helps them customize their promotion to their liking. And of course, some people REALLY want a specific guy, and they may try to trade to get that guy. But generally, no one really has much of value to convince someone to trade a guy they picked with a plan in mind.

And with the size of our promotions, it is not likely that anyone can really build that large of a women's division within a promotion, as TEW lists the minimum amount for a Cult promotion as 26 workers and 7 non-workers. That means having a women's division would mean both it and the main roster is likely on the small size. As TMO says, the notion of an Integrated promotion may need to be looked at, as that does open up the options a little bit, but I really don't know how much that would matter.

I agree with Alec regarding being allowed to pick men or women wrestlers. I would have no problem with a women's fed with the #1 picking Cornell or someone else and looking to trade him (like Alec said, trading the actual pick probably is the smarter mover), as long as they know if they have a male wrestler on their roster at the end, they just flat out lose him for nothing.

I also don't see a problem with integrated promotions - sure it gives a larger pool to work with, but that is a choice we all could make. I really don't see it being that large of an advantage.

data base has been updated thanks again alec. As well as the first post in the sign up thread has been revised.

I chose the limit of one promotion per channel to incorporate a little bit of realism. Which is also why I added the first come first serve as well. You can wait until last or even at all, but if you wait til last you might get stuck with a channel that has a low viewing audience or even restricted areas in which it can be seen.

I think given the premium on female workers who're over and/or talented, I'd say either you should either disallow integrated promotions or prevent intergrated and male-orientated promotions from locking up female wrestlers on written contracts in order that all-woman promotions can have a chance at being viable in game play. Of course, if you did that, you'd probably have to prevent female promotions from drafting male wrestlers for trade bait, but I'm kinda okay with that anyway.

I think given the premium on female workers who're over and/or talented, I'd say either you should either disallow integrated promotions or prevent intergrated and male-orientated promotions from locking up female wrestlers on written contracts in order that all-woman promotions can have a chance at being viable in game play. Of course, if you did that, you'd probably have to prevent female promotions from drafting male wrestlers for trade bait, but I'm kinda okay with that anyway.

Yeah i pretty much agree with those two things.

I think the idea of disallowing integrated promotions - which are in the game already - is silly.

People can still just set their women's roster to division and draft women, so preventing them from getting an optimal push makes no sense.

As for the idea of disallowing non-women's promotions from drafting women at all in the 1st ten rounds of the draft, I have to point out that as of now apart from Jennie Bomb no one else is even drafting an all women's promotion. Putting a rule in place that blocks people not drafting a women's promotion from drafting women in written rounds is a huge advantage for anyone that has a women's promotion, as they are competing against a much smaller number of people for workers (in this case no one). A rule like that (barring people from drafting workers) has never been put in precisely because it's unfair. It would be the equivalent of disallowing all non-Australian and European feds from drafting Aussie/European workers (The same reasoning could be applied by an Australian/European promotion that they are at a disadvantage because of a smaller worker pool), which is ridiculous.

In the interest of fairness, just let people draft who they want. :)

My 2 cents. ^_^

Option 2 is probably better...

And in terms of maintaining data integrity I'd recommend starting over. You can import all of our promotions, you'll just need to change debut dates for existing promotions which shouldn't take long. Certainly not as long as it's taken me to do anything in the CV97 mod (coming soon!). :)

I am for option 2, in helps fill up the draft, and with regions shut off. A unapossed womens fed could be anywhere. Granted the popularity might be way off at first, but could soon increase in popularity. I mean if I am running a womens fed does it matter what rank I am. Unless there is more then one.

@wrestlingfan#1: Finally assigned my promotion a name and changed the location so the canadian promotions are more evenly distributed (see my updated post in the sign-up thread)

updated

drmacbeth - still waiting on your touring months to update data

waghlon - still awaiting promotion name

thekenwyne - I don't know if it was done intentionally or not but your promotion is starting off at regional. I think it has something to do with the importance of the home region you selected. I'm not sure on that as I am unfamiliar with the UK scene. You don't have to change it, if you don't want to but all other promotions are starting at cult, just a heads up.

I want my promotion to be regional, maybe with the bonus of giving my #30 pick a written contract, but I'll be regional either way...:D

And as for intergrated promotions, as long as there are other womens promotions in that area, they should be allowed. Possibly we should leave some womens oriented promotions in if noone drafts as one.

I think a local sized womans promotion in Europe to replace the EWA womens division would be a good idea, and maybe keep 5SSW in if Japan has no womens promotions, same goes for the US and AAA.

I haven't checked about womens promotions, I don't know how many drafters are going to be one, but measures need to be in place to stop intergrated promotions having an advantage imo. Ecspecially since you can easily get them over with sex appeal angles. :mad:

Archived