Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

I was completely dumbfounded by our offensive scheme the first 6 weeks of the season. Heimerdinger changed his scheme from 60 run / 40 pass and reversed it pretty much. Collins threw 4 TDs and 8 INTs through those first games. I had wanted Kerry replaced after week 4 because he was playing terrible. Those first three games that we lost (Pitt by 3, Texans by 3, and Jets by 7) were all possible wins and were close to the finish. Gotta love how Collins went 2 for 12 with 1 INT in the New England blizzard. He had -7 passing yards that game... yes, NEGATIVE SEVEN yards.

I think with the offensive problems, losing Jim Schwartz as D-cord, and Haynesworth (who could be considered the "glue" of that defense when he was there, meaning he made things happen) all played a factor. I'm hoping Chuck Cecil will add a lot now that he has a year under his belt. He's a good defensive backs coach and that's one area our defense laid down and died last season. When we gave up 380 yards and 6 TDs to Brady in a freakin' blizzard I knew something was seriously wrong. Obviously we weren't ready to play in weather like that, but that isn't a usable excuse. We were curb stomped hard.

HAHA, I remember that game... I loved how Vince Young was the Titan's "leading passer" because he threw a few incomplete passes... well, one was caught by the other team. Just an ugly, ugly game.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHA, I remember that game... I loved how Vince Young was the Titan's "leading passer" because he threw a few incomplete passes... well, one was caught by the other team. Just an ugly, ugly game.

It was insanely embarrassing to be a Titans fan living in New England that week.

So the $21 million isn't a "roster bonus"... it's just a "guaranteed bonus"? That part is confusing, but I guess I didn't realize how much (random) cash the 'Skins threw at the guy. Obviously I knew it was the biggest DT contract ever, but I didn't realize it was broken down into (basically) two contracts (that link you posted). Half of the contract is salary and the rest was to make Haynesworth feel all warm & tingly inside. Sounds like Dan Snyder would be 100% OK with no salary cap in the NFL. I really don't want to see that happen because I think it would do more harm than good.

Haynesworth's bonus was guaranteed but it was what's called a convertible bonus. An option bonus is straight, flat out cash with no reservations. A signing bonus is contingent on the contract being honored by both sides and the terms of said contract being met. If a player screws up and the team feels the need to cut them (Charles Rogers, as an example. Barry Sanders is another, in a different way), they can appeal to an arbitrator (or go to court) to have a portion of the signing bonus returned. The reason being, the player didn't live up to the terms of the contract (which almost always includes a 'character clause'). A convertible bonus gives the team the option of turning what would be money in the bank, to a conditional payment that could be recovered later on.

Now, if you think Haynesworth's deal is ridiculous, look at the deal Jake Delhomme signed with the Panthers the season before they cut him. Jake gets paid regardless of whether he plays football or not since the contract has no offset. (Offsets are guarantees reduced by new income. So for example, if a player is due to make $10 million guaranteed and he gets cut and signs with another team for $3 million, the team that cut him is only on the hook for $7 million). So Jake is making $12.675m from the Panthers....and he's a BROWN.

The thing is, the Titans are playing chicken with their franchise player. It would take next to nothing to sign CJ longterm. This is an extraordinary circumstance where extraordinary measures are warranted. You look at the perennial Super Bowl contending teams and what do they do? They make sure their "stars" stay paid at a level befitting them. Who, realistically, do the Titans have to pay BUT Chris Johnson? How is it that his backup is making more money than he is?

Haynesworth's bonus was guaranteed but it was what's called a convertible bonus. An option bonus is straight, flat out cash with no reservations. A signing bonus is contingent on the contract being honored by both sides and the terms of said contract being met. If a player screws up and the team feels the need to cut them (Charles Rogers, as an example. Barry Sanders is another, in a different way), they can appeal to an arbitrator (or go to court) to have a portion of the signing bonus returned. The reason being, the player didn't live up to the terms of the contract (which almost always includes a 'character clause'). A convertible bonus gives the team the option of turning what would be money in the bank, to a conditional payment that could be recovered later on.

Now, if you think Haynesworth's deal is ridiculous, look at the deal Jake Delhomme signed with the Panthers the season before they cut him. Jake gets paid regardless of whether he plays football or not since the contract has no offset. (Offsets are guarantees reduced by new income. So for example, if a player is due to make $10 million guaranteed and he gets cut and signs with another team for $3 million, the team that cut him is only on the hook for $7 million). So Jake is making $12.675m from the Panthers....and he's a BROWN.

The thing is, the Titans are playing chicken with their franchise player. It would take next to nothing to sign CJ longterm. This is an extraordinary circumstance where extraordinary measures are warranted. You look at the perennial Super Bowl contending teams and what do they do? They make sure their "stars" stay paid at a level befitting them. Who, realistically, do the Titans have to pay BUT Chris Johnson? How is it that his backup is making more money than he is?

Logan you also have to remember that the Titans are considered a small market franchise in the NFL (which I have never understood because as long as you win people come to games and even if you lose people come to games). So where teams like the Bucs, Redskins, Giants, and others were willing to offer that money to Albert it was better fror the Titans to give him a much lower contract and hope he takes a hometown discount. If not then move on and use that money on other players.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="GatorBait19" data-cite="GatorBait19" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Logan you also have to remember that the Titans are considered a small market franchise in the NFL (which I have never understood because as long as you win people come to games and even if you lose people come to games).</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Ahh, it's not the same thing. New York is a large market because of both population and per capita income. Even if the Titans sold out every game in a season, they still wouldn't make as much as say the Jets or Giants or Dolphins or Cowboys (or even the Falcons) because their market is much smaller and offers far less in the way of ancillary income (team endorsements and marketing opportunities). The Packers are an iconic franchise but they can't charge $90 per ticket and expect to fill Lambeau because their local audience can't afford that (and there's not as many people in the local audience). And Packer fans in Wisconsin are freakin' fanatics about their team. Here, most people could care less about the Jets and Giants....but the teams produce despite that.</p><p> </p><p> When your owner can build a billion dollar ego boost...err, stadium and not even sweat it, you're a large market team. Lucas Oil is a beautiful stadium and awesome to watch a game in....but it's not as ostentatious and ridiculously blinged as Cowboys Stadium. Likewise, Miller Park is a beautiful venue for baseball....but it's very different from Yankee Stadium. It's like comparing the local Kingdom Hall to St. Patrick's Cathedral. They're both really good places to worship but one is just more...."DAMN!" than the other.</p><p> </p><p> People coming to games isn't nearly enough.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Remianen" data-cite="Remianen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Ahh, it's not the same thing. New York is a large market because of both population and per capita income. Even if the Titans sold out every game in a season, they still wouldn't make as much as say the Jets or Giants or Dolphins or Cowboys (or even the Falcons) because their market is much smaller and offers far less in the way of ancillary income (team endorsements and marketing opportunities). The Packers are an iconic franchise but they can't charge $90 per ticket and expect to fill Lambeau because their local audience can't afford that (and there's not as many people in the local audience). And Packer fans in Wisconsin are freakin' fanatics about their team. Here, most people could care less about the Jets and Giants....but the teams produce despite that.<p> </p><p> When your owner can build a billion dollar ego boost...err, stadium and not even sweat it, you're a large market team. Lucas Oil is a beautiful stadium and awesome to watch a game in....but it's not as ostentatious and ridiculously blinged as Cowboys Stadium. Likewise, Miller Park is a beautiful venue for baseball....but it's very different from Yankee Stadium. It's like comparing the local Kingdom Hall to St. Patrick's Cathedral. They're both really good places to worship but one is just more...."DAMN!" than the other.</p><p> </p><p> People coming to games isn't nearly enough.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree.</p><p> </p><p> Let me clarify it better so I don't confuse others. Even though they are a small market (one of the smaller since very few Tenn. markets are big) If Titans win they still sell-out games. Now this is no way a sell out like Giants or Jets because they charge a lot more money for their tickets.</p><p> </p><p> You also have to worry about Merch, Food, and other things people buy inside the stadium and outside (mainly merch)</p><p> </p><p> Peopl like the Skins, Giants, Jets, Cowboys, 49ers have such a big fan base that people buy stuff away from the stadium.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> 2 things, one is for Remi and the other is for everyone</p><p> </p><p> 1) (for Remi) did you see the stadium let-out of the new 49ers stadium they want to build? I posted the link below just in case, 9ers' still needs 500 million of their own to get it built. They'll find it somewhere (where the NFL helps or another way) </p><p> </p><p> <a href="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?&entry_id=65400" rel="external nofollow">http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?&entry_id=65400</a></p><p> </p><p> 2) The titans biggest problems with the draft recently is much what the Bengals still have. They draft great talent with questionable character Ablert, CJ, Pacman, Young. Now they didn't come out fighting and stepping on people's faces, but it does lead you to question them in how they are at least manging them after the draft.</p>

<p>1) Yes, I saw but it doesn't matter. Building a stadium is one thing. But if the team that occupies the stadium is still crap, it's not really going to account for much. The Niners have promise but so do the Falcons. Promise and $4 will get you a cup of Starbucks but little else. The Niners have too many holes (not the least of which is the guy taking the snaps) to really contend and while I like how they're building the team, they aren't there yet. They still have no one who is truly marketable (Patrick Willis is a contender but generally speaking, defensive players aren't "sexy", especially middle linebackers) and the team is boring as hell to watch.</p><p> </p><p>

2) The Titans don't do too bad, merchandise wise. They have a unique and distinctive uniform design (and colors) and with CJ and maybe Vince, they have players who could move units. Sure they're no Mark Sanchez and the franchise itself is kinda boring (Jeff Fisher reminds me of Ben Stein. "Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?") but at least they're not the Rams.</p><p> </p><p>

The Titans need a franchise cornerstone but then, so do most teams. Usually the cornerstone is a quarterback (Brees, Peyton, Brady) but not always (see Lewis, Ray). They have no one on that team to whom everyone in the locker room is accountable. An Undertaker of sorts. And Jeff Fisher is such a cold fish, he wouldn't dare blast a player in the press (like Parcells has done in the past).</p><p> </p><p>

The Titans don't seem to value character very highly but they're not alone in that. Neither do the Cowboys and they haven't done too badly.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Remianen" data-cite="Remianen" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>1) Yes, I saw but it doesn't matter. Building a stadium is one thing. But if the team that occupies the stadium is still crap, it's not really going to account for much. The Niners have promise but so do the Falcons. Promise and $4 will get you a cup of Starbucks but little else. The Niners have too many holes (not the least of which is the guy taking the snaps) to really contend and while I like how they're building the team, they aren't there yet. They still have no one who is truly marketable (Patrick Willis is a contender but generally speaking, defensive players aren't "sexy", especially middle linebackers) and the team is boring as hell to watch.<p> </p><p> 2) The Titans don't do too bad, merchandise wise. They have a unique and distinctive uniform design (and colors) and with CJ and maybe Vince, they have players who could move units. Sure they're no Mark Sanchez and the franchise itself is kinda boring (Jeff Fisher reminds me of Ben Stein. "Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?") but at least they're not the Rams.</p><p> </p><p> The Titans need a franchise cornerstone but then, so do most teams. Usually the cornerstone is a quarterback (Brees, Peyton, Brady) but not always (see Lewis, Ray). They have no one on that team to whom everyone in the locker room is accountable. An Undertaker of sorts. And Jeff Fisher is such a cold fish, he wouldn't dare blast a player in the press (like Parcells has done in the past).</p><p> </p><p> The Titans don't seem to value character very highly but they're not alone in that. Neither do the Cowboys and they haven't done too badly.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree they are dull which is a shame with talent like V. Davis, M. Crabtree, P. Willis, and F. Gore.</p><p> </p><p> They will probably contend in the West, simply because every team out there is a contender in that division). That haven't had the greatest drafts in recent memory. Some can say that look at their first round picks and that is nice but a draft is more than just a first round. While it is key to nailing that first pick, it is also key to and depth with the last 6th.</p><p> </p><p> I thought they did very well drafting this year. (of course we wont know for sure until 3 to 4 years down the road)</p><p> </p><p> They drafted two big physical O-Line guys for an O-Line that needed to get more physical</p><p> </p><p> They got a steal with Taylor Mays, I know he dropped off this year, but going into last year he was a top ten talent.</p><p> </p><p> They drafted Bowman from the Un. of Linebackers (Penn State). Now if he can transition his game to the NFL is a different story.</p><p> </p><p> Nice RB from Mississippi State in Dixon.</p><p> </p><p> So a talented class, once again they have to transition to the NFL which could take up to 4 years.</p><p> </p><p> They are still extremely weak at the QB spot, but I like Nate Davis. Now will he be more than a backup, well we wont know for a while. He has talent and is considered a project QB right now.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I think the Cowboys can control their talent a lot better than the Titans can as well.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
I was wondering if people would like me to start up a picks league again for the upcoming NFL season over on Yahoo. Last year activity fell off sharply towards the end of the year, so I am wondering if there was any interest. If you would like to do it just PM me so we don't clog up this thread and I will dig up my sign up thread from last year.

I think this is the first time in years I have more hope for the Browns than the Jaguars. For those that don't know(probably everyone here since I don't think I've ever really talked football here), I'm a diehard Browns and Jaguars fan. Born and raised a Browns fan. When the Jaguars debuted I took an instant liking to them. Mark Brunell became my favorite QB in the game(other than Steve Young). Then when Fred Taylor got drafted he easily became my favorite running back of all time.

Usually when it gets this close to preseason I start to get pumped up about the Jaguars and kind of "ehh let's just hope the Browns don't embarrass themselves this year" kind of feeling, but this year, I'm more excited for the Browns. The shake ups in the organization can only do good things for them.

I think this is the first time in years I have more hope for the Browns than the Jaguars. For those that don't know(probably everyone here since I don't think I've ever really talked football here), I'm a diehard Browns and Jaguars fan. Born and raised a Browns fan. When the Jaguars debuted I took an instant liking to them. Mark Brunell became my favorite QB in the game(other than Steve Young). Then when Fred Taylor got drafted he easily became my favorite running back of all time.

Usually when it gets this close to preseason I start to get pumped up about the Jaguars and kind of "ehh let's just hope the Browns don't embarrass themselves this year" kind of feeling, but this year, I'm more excited for the Browns. The shake ups in the organization can only do good things for them.

Lemme guess, you're left-handed too? :p

And the Browns are going to suck as long as Eric Mangini is their head coach. The man is just AWFUL. He's not even qualified to BE a head coach. One season as defensive coordinator of a successful team without ever having held a similar position in your career, does not typically a top notch head coach make (Mike Tomlin is the exception to the rule). I was so hoping the franchise would turn the page when Holmgren took over but Mike is a softy and he'll pay for it this season.

And the Browns are going to suck as long as Eric Mangini is their head coach. The man is just AWFUL. He's not even qualified to BE a head coach. One season as defensive coordinator of a successful team without ever having held a similar position in your career, does not typically a top notch head coach make (Mike Tomlin is the exception to the rule). I was so hoping the franchise would turn the page when Holmgren took over but Mike is a softy and he'll pay for it this season.

Holmgren was just being considerate. Doing what he'd want done to himself if he was in that position. I don't agree with firing a coach after one season, but I was surprised when the season ended and Mangini was still employed in the NFL.

Holmgren was just being considerate. Doing what he'd want done to himself if he was in that position. I don't agree with firing a coach after one season, but I was surprised when the season ended and Mangini was still employed in the NFL.

The difference is, Holmgren had a track record prior to ever becoming a head coach. He was known as a quarterback guru and a bright offensive mind. Andy Reid had a similar background. So did Chucky (Jon Gruden). Holmgren had a track record of being successful at all levels of coaching (high school, college, and the pros). I don't understand the mindset but I'm sure once the 2010 season comes to a close, Holmgren will realize his error.

LeGarrette Blount is going to be a beast if he can keep his attitude in check. Short yardage and inside the red zone will be his money plays. CJ is obviously the focus, but we have to have a bruiser back who can take some punishment and get us yards when we need them (when CJ is gassed). I just hope he doesn't punch anybody. :rolleyes:

LeGarrette Blount is going to be a beast if he can keep his attitude in check. Short yardage and inside the red zone will be his money plays. CJ is obviously the focus, but we have to have a bruiser back who can take some punishment and get us yards when we need them (when CJ is gassed). I just hope he doesn't punch anybody. :rolleyes:

I like LeGarrette. I think he was a steal.

• 2 weeks later...

<p><a href="http://boards.ign.com/football/b5105/194135391/p1/" rel="external nofollow">http://boards.ign.com/football/b5105/194135391/p1/</a></p><p> </p><p>

50 most valuable sports teams</p><p> </p><p>

2 things popped out at me from this.</p><p> </p><p>

A while ago someone on this board said the Man-U wasn't the most valuable anymore because of their debt. Second out of the top 15 the Glazers own 2 of them........ So why not sell the Bucs to pay of the debt from Man-U and then go buy the football team to send to LA?</p><p> </p><p>

I know wishful thinking there.</p>

http://boards.ign.com/football/b5105/194135391/p1/

50 most valuable sports teams

2 things popped out at me from this.

A while ago someone on this board said the Man-U wasn't the most valuable anymore because of their debt. Second out of the top 15 the Glazers own 2 of them........ So why not sell the Bucs to pay of the debt from Man-U and then go buy the football team to send to LA?

I know wishful thinking there.

Can't he just sell United instead as all the United fans hate them.

Can't he just sell United instead as all the United fans hate them.

that's would be the fan choice but untied I is the money smart move to keep if he gets rid of the debt on the team. United offers more money from sponsors, TV deals, and merch. The bucs are just team that gives him a 20 million dollar profit each rear where untied could double or even triple that easily

I posted in the TV thread so I might as well bring it up here. Jimmy Johnson is going to be on the upcoming season of Survivor!:D That should be interesting, he will either be voted off rather quickly or he will last a long time. There will probably be no middle ground for him. The last NFL'er on the show Gary Hogeboom did pretty well on the show.

Terrell Owens and Ochocinco on the same team this year? God the Bengals are going to be fun this year.

Depends on how they use him. He's not the same TO, after all. If they make him run the slants, deep outs, and digs as well as fades in the red zone, he's going to give teams fits. He'll also allow Gresham and Bryant tons of room to work in those 4 and 5 wide sets.