Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swear a game has never made me more nervous.

Going into the SF Phi game. I had Gore and Jackson. My opponent had McCoy. Score was 69 (me) 52 (opp)

So I'm getting worried when Jackson is taken out, Gore only had going into the 4th quarter 2 points. Worse of all going into that last quarter my opp was only down by 2 pts after McCoy went off and scored 21pts.

Well that was a great game between SF and Phi. Came down to the last play. Games I love to watch. Had the connected with Gore he'd have scored but the pass was deflected. Oh well I don't like either team. As long as Gore puts up Fantasy numbers for me. :p

Also Skins won, in OT no less. That was an awesome game to watch.

I feel like crying! The Packers have a really talented team and a good shot at the playoffs. Guess what happens.. Packers get SMACKED in the face with injuries. On top of that Vikings pull Moss out of a hat!

:mad:

And Finley's injury looks like it might be series... just a crappy, crappy week in the NFL. Rams lost, Texans lost, Packers lost, Finley's injured, Clayton out for the season, Titans won...

Oh well, at least I won in one of my fantasy leagues. Course, after starting Chris Johnson and Matt Forte this week, I would've been devastated to still pull out the L.

And Finley's injury looks like it might be series... just a crappy, crappy week in the NFL. Rams lost, Texans lost, Packers lost, Finley's injured, Clayton out for the season, Titans won...

Oh well, at least I won in one of my fantasy leagues. Course, after starting Chris Johnson and Matt Forte this week, I would've been devastated to still pull out the L.

Sucks man, he was becoming a good wide-out for Bradford. I learned one thing this week, if you give Josh Freeman the ball with 2 minutes left in the game and he's down. He will find a way to win the game.

He did it against Green Bay his first game, his second week against the Dolphins brought them down by 10 in the 4th. Came back to take a one point lead, but the Defense messed up and Dolphins kicked a FG. His fourth game against the Falcons he didn't do a comeback, but that's because he was up the whole game. With 2 minutes left in the game Matt Ryan destroyed our D.

Against the Saints last year at their Dome he helped bring them back from 14 down with help from Michael Spurlocker's Punt Return TD and then helped them secure a win in OT

This year we were down by 4 against the Browns and came back in the fourth. Then yesterday down by 7 with no hope, Talib INT the ball and Josh made a nice scramble and a couple nice passes to Mike Williams. Then another INT by Sabby and Freeman took them down the field and set up Barth for a game winning FG.

Freeman has improved leaps and bounds from last year. He he can put it all together for 4 quarters he could be a great QB.

P.S go watch Freeman's last pass yesterday to spurlocker, just beautiful

Also I have noticed something else.

Last year at this time Mike Nugent and Matt Bryant were both unemployed and they each battled for the kicking spot for the Bucs. Matt was cut because he never kicked and Nugent was fully healed from injury and struggled early and was replaced by Connor Barth.

Today Bryant and Nugent are 1 and 2 in scoring in the NFL kicking 12 of 14 for Bryant and 12 of 13 for Nugent. Barth isn't doing to bad himself hitting 6 for 6. Bucs seems to have a nive Special team coach :p

Ugh, Mark Clayton tore his patella, out for the year is the early reports. As both his owner (in a PPR league, no less, and my main man Danny Amendola was picked up LAST WEEK!!! ARGH!) and a lifelong Rams fan, this has me depressed. Just.... ugh... :(

C Bot you're a Rams fan? I never knew that, ignore all those things I've said about you :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Explosive-SI-cover-story-details-NFL-agent-payin?urn=nfl-276421

read the first point. I was so happy, I might never have to hear Mel again!!! :D

There have been murmurs about this for years on sites like deadspin ( I think because supposedly ESPN is notoriously cheap and Mel isn't paid nearly as much as his public image might indicate - sorta why he still does radio).

But yeah if it's true, I can't see him holding onto his job. And since ESPN IS NFL Draft coverage, his career options would be limited.

There have been murmurs about this for years on sites like deadspin ( I think because supposedly ESPN is notoriously cheap and Mel isn't paid nearly as much as his public image might indicate - sorta why he still does radio).

But yeah if it's true, I can't see him holding onto his job. And since ESPN IS NFL Draft coverage, his career options would be limited.

It's still dumb to me. How many owners, GM, scouts, and coaches really look at Mel's info and say yeah that person should be there?

If every team did that then Mel would have found an NFL job by now and teams wouldn't need scouts.

Wait, not only do you hate the Titans, you love the team that beat them in the Super Bowl? Well ok, but...

*makes note to delete APWF and WBW from 1.1.*

Wait, not only do you hate the Titans, you love the team that beat them in the Super Bowl? Well ok, but...

*makes note to delete APWF and WBW from 1.1.*

I'd like to say we not only defeated them but crushed their dreams of ever becoming champions and as a direct result have stopped them from ever getting back there despite several good argually BETTER Titan teams since then

:D I kid I kid although it shouldn't have ever gotten that far. Dyson's knee was down and they still gave it to him despite the replay clearly showing his knee on the turf.

Anyway the moral of this story even though we're 1-15 last year, even though we're the doormat of the NFL we have something a lot of teams don't and thats a Super Bowl and on top of that one of the most dramatic if not the most dramatic ending to a Super Bowl ever. Well I'd say number two moment the Giants, that catch, that win is the biggest moment in Super Bowl history but still the second greatest Super Bowl IMO isn't a bad deal.

Anyway the moral of this story even though we're 1-15 last year, even though we're the doormat of the NFL we have something a lot of teams don't and thats a Super Bowl and on top of that one of the most dramatic if not the most dramatic ending to a Super Bowl ever. Well I'd say number two moment the Giants, that catch, that win is the biggest moment in Super Bowl history but still the second greatest Super Bowl IMO isn't a bad deal.

That's good and all but I think all rams fans live with the painful knowledge that they had no business losing to the Patriots. Two early turnovers, Martz going away from Warner, going into a prevent defense after they tied the game late in the 4th...

The fact you ONLY won one SB with that group is a bigger shock than anything.

:D I kid I kid although it shouldn't have ever gotten that far. Dyson's knee was down and they still gave it to him despite the replay clearly showing his knee on the turf

Wait, what? Are we talking about "The Tackle" because that was ruled a tackle at the oneish on the field and upheld in replay.

I'll never forget the look on Jman's face when that happened... he literally lept out of his seat holding his arms in the air with this "oh shat!!!" look of surprise... and, arms still half raised, hunched over and squinted in confusion a split second later.

MrT, you have to understand: Bud Adams is a terrible human being. We put up with him when they were the Oilers, because at least they were our team. But he had this city over a barrel. First Houston finally gave in and tore down our historic scoreboard in the Astrodome so he could fit in a few more seats. We renovated the dome. And when all of that wasn't good enough, he demanded a brand new, state of the art stadium. The city (the same city that had supported his team and his other businesses for decades, indeed where he still freakin' lives) simply didn't have the fund to justify a brand new stadium in that short of a timeframe. So Bud packed up and moved somewhere he could have a brand new stadium as soon as possible (after promising to stay in Houston, no less).

And what did we do when we got the Texans? Well, gee whiz, Houston had the money to build a new state of the art stadium. All Bud Adams had to do was wait a few more years and he could've had his stadium. But, he's a dick. Him flipping off poor old Ralph Wilson Jr and the city of Buffalo is evidence enough of that.

The franchise is cursed. They'll win a Super Bowl someday, but not until Bud Adams can no longer cheat death once a week like Mr. Burns and finally returns to the Hell from which he came.

Sorry MrT. :(

That's good and all but I think all rams fans live with the painful knowledge that they had no business losing to the Patriots. Two early turnovers, Martz going away from Warner, going into a prevent defense after they tied the game late in the 4th...

The fact you ONLY won one SB with that group is a bigger shock than anything.

I think you could say that about a bunch of different teams as well.

Think of the Bucs, they always had the D to win a Superbowl, but under Dungey they were horrible at drafting Offensive players and it hindered them.

The Bills, were four straight losers with a team I thought was pretty dominate, but kickers and other things blew there chances at being a superbowl winner or multiple winner.

SD, they have had a talented offense and defense for years, but coaches who can't seem to push them over that hump. If Bill Bellick or Bill Cowher coached that team you think they would have made the Superbowl at least once.

And lastly, the Colts. They have been a dream when it comes to putting a team together through the draft. Recent not as talented, but still pretty good compared to most. One superbowl win in two chances is nice, but this is a team that is predicted to do it every year.

I would love for us to have made it back the next year.

SB XXXIV had the greatest offense ever up until that point (or pretty damn close) and SB XXXV had the greatest defense ever (Ravens).

Would have been a fun game, that being said the Pats didn't have the greatest D ever and they owned us so I have to say the Ravens would have most likely embarassed Martz.

Think of the Bucs, they always had the D to win a Superbowl, but under Dungey they were horrible at drafting Offensive players and it hindered them.

I think the Ravens are an even better example. Their Super Bowl defense may have been the best defense to ever step onto a field. They didn't need an offense with the scoring potential of their D. They were beastly.

But, I guess a complete lack of an offense finally caught up. Either that or Trent Dilfer really was that much better of a QB than Elvis Grbac.

And sadly, I'll agree... the Rams should've won more than one. Kurt Warner throwing the ball to Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce, Az-Zahir Hakim, and (my hero) Ricky Proehl with Marshall Faulk in the backfield? Sure, Hakim couldn't catch worth a damn, but he was mind boggling fast and that alone stretched the field to no end. Holt and Bruce are respectively two of the best players ever at the WR position, and Ricky Proehl is the definition of a possession reciever. He was just a slower Wes Welker with better hands (and that is by no means a disrespect to Wes Welker, who is one of my favorite players in the league today). I don't care how crappy your defense is, that offense had all the tools to outscore anybody on any day. Or so one would think. But their secondary was atrocious, and the front seven really just had Wistrom, Carter, and Fletcher working in its favor. Dexter McCleon, Todd Lyght, Keith Lyle, and a rookie Dre Bly wasn't exactly the best secondary ever. Don't get me wrong, I liked a lot of those guys, but only because they were members of the Rams, namely their Super Bowl team.

Still, it seems like they should've had enough there to support the offense. Oh well, it was great fun to watch the Greatest Show on Turf while it lasted. Heck, it was great watching Kurt Warner in action during his career. His years with the Rams and then the Cardinals were just simply phenomenal. Sure, he vanished for a few years, but I don't think that should matter: just watching the man play should be enough to convince anyone he was one of the absolute best quarterbacks to ever touch a football.

Wait, what? Are we talking about "The Tackle" because that was ruled a tackle at the oneish on the field and upheld in replay.

I'll never forget the look on Jman's face when that happened... he literally lept out of his seat holding his arms in the air with this "oh shat!!!" look of surprise... and, arms still half raised, hunched over and squinted in confusion a split second later.

MrT, you have to understand: Bud Adams is a terrible human being. We put up with him when they were the Oilers, because at least they were our team. But he had this city over a barrel. First Houston finally gave in and tore down our historic scoreboard in the Astrodome so he could fit in a few more seats. We renovated the dome. And when all of that wasn't good enough, he demanded a brand new, state of the art stadium. The city (the same city that had supported his team and his other businesses for decades, indeed where he still freakin' lives) simply didn't have the fund to justify a brand new stadium in that short of a timeframe. So Bud packed up and moved somewhere he could have a brand new stadium as soon as possible (after promising to stay in Houston, no less).

And what did we do when we got the Texans? Well, gee whiz, Houston had the money to build a new state of the art stadium. All Bud Adams had to do was wait a few more years and he could've had his stadium. But, he's a dick. Him flipping off poor old Ralph Wilson Jr and the city of Buffalo is evidence enough of that.

The franchise is cursed. They'll win a Super Bowl someday, but not until Bud Adams can no longer cheat death once a week like Mr. Burns and finally returns to the Hell from which he came.

Sorry MrT. :(

Houston probably had to build a new stadium to get an expansion team, so thats not exactly true.

What he's saying is that by the time the Expansion team came around. The left Houston in what? 97? 98? They didn't get the Texans until 02 thats FIVE years and what he was saying is if Bud would have waited for a few more years they could have come up with the funds to build that new stadium but after demanding renovations to a stadium he already had and when that didn't work he wanted them to shell out more for a new stadium they didn't have that kind of cash at the time.

What he's saying is that by the time the Expansion team came around. The left Houston in what? 97? 98? They didn't get the Texans until 02 thats FIVE years and what he was saying is if Bud would have waited for a few more years they could have come up with the funds to build that new stadium but after demanding renovations to a stadium he already had and when that didn't work he wanted them to shell out more for a new stadium they didn't have that kind of cash at the time.

And what I'm saying is the might not have necessarily built that stadium so soon had they stayed. I see this situation developing with my Chargers atm.

Houston probably had to build a new stadium to get an expansion team, so thats not exactly true.

Exactly.

We were willing to build a new stadium then because (shocker) the city had the money and the backing to do so. And had Bud Adams been remotely patient, it would've been his brand new stadium.

And the thing is, there are players in the Titans organization that I like (Rusty Smith has been my pick to be the most shockingly good QB in the NFL from last year's draft). Heck, I think Jeff Fisher is an outstanding coach. So... its unfair to them for me to want the Titans to not win a Super Bowl until after Bud kicks the bucket. But he's (as Scott Steiner would put it) an old son of a bitch, and he robbed a city that LOVED their team and loves football of said team and football. Which, I'm sure the fine people of Tennessee love their new team, and I'm happy for them. I just wish it didn't come about because a spoiled old man couldn't get his way and threw a multimillion dollar temper tantrum.