Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

I am very excited the Bucs took Ahmad Black. As both a Gator and Bucs fan I have watched Ahmad form his freshman year to his Senior and I really do believe he was a solid pick. He is undersized at his position, but he has heart and can stuff the run as well as play against the pass. I think Sean Jones will return for the Bucs this year to give Black a year to develop, but I think this was solid.

Watch some films of him, he is (to me) arguably one of the top safeties in the draft and fell because of that size and speed issues people worried about. When you watch his tape you will see a lot of teams passing away and trying to in general get away from this guy

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my tar heels were two short of tying the acc record for most players drafted we had nine. It's a shame they could be going in with a championship if that off the field stuff never happened.

Honestly before the trouble they ran into Tar Heels were my favorite to win the ACC. Butch Davis is one hell of a coach (and to me a top ten coach) He puts together good recruiting classes and I think he will admit he was dumb for jumping to the NFL.

Honestly before the trouble they ran into Tar Heels were my favorite to win the ACC. Butch Davis is one hell of a coach (and to me a top ten coach) He puts together good recruiting classes and I think he will admit he was dumb for jumping to the NFL.

I love Butch as a coach and think we are going to ave a shot at the ACC Championship this coming up season because of the playing time that the kids got last year the thing I'm worried about is the running back spot. Also whatdd you thnk of our bowl game this year ;)

I love Butch as a coach and think we are going to ave a shot at the ACC Championship this coming up season because of the playing time that the kids got last year the thing I'm worried about is the running back spot. Also whatdd you thnk of our bowl game this year ;)

It's difficult to say. You beat an SEC team which is huge in college football. Ten. wasn't the best SEC school, but there is still talent there. You lost a lot of talent this year...... wait outside of Carter you played this year with out most of them lol. I love the Tar Heels, outside of the Gators they are one of my other favorite football teams.

I think Butch has turned UNC from a school that only looks forward to the basketball season (outside of the Pepper's years) and baseball, into a school that expects great things from their football team in the near future. I am not saying they are NT contenders in the next 2-4 years, but ACC champs is def a possibility in the next 1-3 years which is huge for a school that is not know as a contender in their division since Mack Brown.

I doubt Butch would ever leave UNC (only team I could see him leaving you for is Miami and since they didn't even look at him this offseason I doubt it will ever again) He loves the school and the area and you guys scored huge when you got him.

It's difficult to say. You beat an SEC team which is huge in college football. Ten. wasn't the best SEC school, but there is still talent there. You lost a lot of talent this year...... wait outside of Carter you played this year with out most of them lol. I love the Tar Heels, outside of the Gators they are one of my other favorite football teams.

I think Butch has turned UNC from a school that only looks forward to the basketball season (outside of the Pepper's years) and baseball, into a school that expects great things from their football team in the near future. I am not saying they are NT contenders in the next 2-4 years, but ACC champs is def a possibility in the next 1-3 years which is huge for a school that is not know as a contender in their division since Mack Brown.

I doubt Butch would ever leave UNC (only team I could see him leaving you for is Miami and since they didn't even look at him this offseason I doubt it will ever again) He loves the school and the area and you guys scored huge when you got him.

I just hate two of the heel players went to division rivals in the Gaints and Cowboys. How do you think Yates, White, and Little will do in the pro's do you think Yates will ever be a starter in the NFL?

I just hate two of the heel players went to division rivals in the Gaints and Cowboys. How do you think Yates, White, and Little will do in the pro's do you think Yates will ever be a starter in the NFL?

Yates wasn't one of my favorites honestly. I think he will be a career 2nd-3rd stringer (I hope for more). I love Lewis, I thought if it weren't for the trouble he would have been the 4th best WR (sorry but I love Hankerson from Miami)

Yates wasn't one of my favorites honestly. I think he will be a career 2nd-3rd stringer (I hope for more). I love Lewis, I thought if it weren't for the trouble he would have been the 4th best WR (sorry but I love Hankerson from Miami)

Hankerson who we (Redskins) got right?

yes, I think he was hurt by a bad coaching staff and QB who was more of a running QB

Maybe he can become a good #2 or #3 this year for us, I really like Anthony Armstrong who's with us now I think him and Torrain can become big parts for us down the line and if Hankerson can do good once Moss steps down him and Armstrong can be 1 and 2. We need a better O-Line too Mcnabb needs time to throw. I just want us to start winning again :cool::p

Maybe he can become a good #2 or #3 this year for us, I really like Anthony Armstrong who's with us now I think him and Torrain can become big parts for us down the line and if Hankerson can do good once Moss steps down him and Armstrong can be 1 and 2. We need a better O-Line too Mcnabb needs time to throw. I just want us to start winning again :cool::p

I think McNabb is gone as well as Albert. I don't think Hankerson was drafted to be the number 2 WR. I think he is a future number 1 WR and could be a top 20 WR in the NFL after his third season.

There are still concerns at O-Line and the secondary. Bowers injury scares people (he feel from top 5 to 53) but that might put that chip on his shoulder.

There's a reason for that. His knee could be degenerative. So apparently, no one but the Bucs were willing to invest 1st or 2nd round money in a player who might have a 2 year career.

I didn't understand 2 RB's from the Pats unless they are going to put Woodhead at FB. Also I love the Mallet pick. It gives him at least 3 years to sit and learn behind arguably the best QB all-time. Sorry I would take Brady over Manning any day, look at the WR's Brady has had to throw to and then look at Manning's there is no comparison to how much better the talent Manning had around him. When Brady started to get that type of talent his numbers improved greatly.

You don't get the concept of 'depth'? And as for Brady v Manning, I'll take the quarterback that can call his own plays (and has for what, 8 years now?). Having an OC on the field makes things a whole lot easier. And who gives a flip about 'numbers'? Brady has three rings so the talent around him couldn't have been that bad. If Manning had such great talent around him, why's he only have one piece of jewelry to show for it? Also, why is it that the one year Brady had a Murderer's Row of offensive talent.....they lost the Super Bowl? Some quarterbacks are better at making 'good' pieces look great (right Deion Branch?) while other QBs need superior talent. Peyton's the latter, Tom Terrific is the former. Wes Welker is not who he is (or rather, who he became) without Tom Brady. It's not much of an advantage but I'll take the dude that made Tom Moore look like the offensive version of Dick LeBeau. Wouldn't turn either of them down though. I just happen to like how Peyton drives defenses crazy pre-snap.

Still Mallet could be the next Aaron Rogers (not saying he will be) He has a cannon and he will sit and get mop up duty. He might not even be the backup QB this year. They will teach him the playbook and get him young weapons in the next couple drafts so when he comes in he is ready.

Kevin Kolb, er, Matt Cassel....oops, Ryan Mallett (same thing) is not the Patriots QB of the future. At least not with Belichick as coach. The first time someone throws a 1st and 2nd or two firsts at him, Mallett will be wearing a new uniform. The man said it himself ("value"). He traded Cassel before Brady had even proven he was recovered from the knee injury, after all.

Also the lockout that is back in place, I hope coaches at least got the time to get their players some info (if I was a player I would have copied some of the plays on a piece of paper so I can at least practice some of the playbook. I really don't believe there will be a lock, but more because the owners now realize all the chips they had are pretty much gone. They won't get to keep all that money from the TV contracts and they have some coaches and employees still getting paid. Players and the owners can't handle a lockout, fans will revolt, they will lose money, and for players that is one less year to make money.

heh fans revolt. As if. Are we talking hockey or football? The fans will pony up money whenever they decide to see reason and sign a new CBA, regardless of when that is. The fans ponied up to watch fifth and sixth string players play almost 25 years ago and then afterward, fueled the largest increase in revenue growth the league had ever seen to that point. I don't get where this assumption that fans will desert the game if there's an extended lockout/strike/work stoppage. They won't. History proves that. Both sides are being stupid ("We're losing money", "Show us", "Just take our word for it. We're losing money." REALLY?) but there will be no fan backlash. Mark my words.

There's a reason for that. His knee could be degenerative. So apparently, no one but the Bucs were willing to invest 1st or 2nd round money in a player who might have a 2 year career.

Can I ask why you are telling me why something scares me? Also you're right, Bowers might only play two years (which is still 2 longer than you). He isn't the only player to ever come out of college with injury concerns Adrian Peterson was known for his injuries and he has turned it around and become one of the best running backs in the game. Cromarite had injury concerns with that knee and he came out and did really well.

Bowers has his knee injury and doctors say it looks degenerative, but doctors also said Bo Jackson would never play football again. Doctors tell people they'll never walk again and they do. Tyson Chandler failed a physical that nixed a trade to the Thunder and went on to have one of his best years this year.

Injuries are apart of the game and they scare people. The Bucs did their research and figured that Bowers in the 2nd round when many think he was one of the top players and DE was one of their biggest needs was worth the pick.

You don't get the concept of 'depth'? And as for Brady v Manning, I'll take the quarterback that can call his own plays (and has for what, 8 years now?). Having an OC on the field makes things a whole lot easier. And who gives a flip about 'numbers'? Brady has three rings so the talent around him couldn't have been that bad. If Manning had such great talent around him, why's he only have one piece of jewelry to show for it? Also, why is it that the one year Brady had a Murderer's Row of offensive talent.....they lost the Super Bowl? Some quarterbacks are better at making 'good' pieces look great (right Deion Branch?) while other QBs need superior talent. Peyton's the latter, Tom Terrific is the former. Wes Welker is not who he is (or rather, who he became) without Tom Brady. It's not much of an advantage but I'll take the dude that made Tom Moore look like the offensive version of Dick LeBeau. Wouldn't turn either of them down though. I just happen to like how Peyton drives defenses crazy pre-snap.

I do get the concept of depth, your argument has no depth. While you started on an okay path with the Manning being better because of this you then lead astray from it by trying to insult my argument of the talent they had around them (even though I said wideouts) you pretty much didn't defend Manning other then "Hey I want a QB who can call a play on his own over a QB who can win it on 3 times coming from behind with less then 2 minutes in the game and when he does lose in the big game it's because the other team scored within two minutes left in the game."

So Manning is your guy at QB because he can call plays without Moore (who still designed them and taught them to the other players) Tom Brady didn't have the WR around him like Manning did (Brady had one future HOF where Brady has had 3 with Dallas Clark, Harrison, and Wayne), but it was still good enough to win 3 titles..... Manning had great WR around him but he still only has one......... (and I never said lack of talent, both teams had great talent)

I’ll take a dude that got Charlie Weis, Josh McDaniels coaching jobs and makes Belichick look like the Don Shula of NFL head coaches over a guy who has only made one person look good.

Funny thing is as well I never said the talent was bad around Brady. Sure I said Brady didn't have the wideouts Manning had, but I said nothing about what he had blocking and running for him (Corey Dillon) or playing on defense.

Oh and funny thing is while you are right that murders row didn't win a title you are forgetting that they lost it because of the greatest catch ever!!!!

Kevin Kolb, er, Matt Cassel....oops, Ryan Mallett (same thing) is not the Patriots QB of the future. At least not with Belichick as coach. The first time someone throws a 1st and 2nd or two firsts at him, Mallett will be wearing a new uniform. The man said it himself ("value"). He traded Cassel before Brady had even proven he was recovered from the knee injury, after all.

Do you really watch football? Matt Cassel didn't garner the pick he got because of his value. Matt earned that pick on the field by keeping the Pats in contention and he got traded because well hell Brady was coming back from that injury and you knew as well as anyone else knew Matt wasn't starting over Brady and the Pats weren't going to waste a franchise tag (and it's money) on keeping Cassel to wipe Brady's sweat off coming off the field.

So you are telling me within the next four years Brady is going to get hurt in the first game of the season and Mallet is coming in to show his "Value"

Brady has a contract that runs until 2014, he also made not that he sees this as his last contract in the NFL. Brady is different from a QB like Favre he has the looks, the girl, and the ability to earn money outside of life besides commercials for hot and cold and wrangler.

heh fans revolt. As if. Are we talking hockey or football? The fans will pony up money whenever they decide to see reason and sign a new CBA, regardless of when that is. The fans ponied up to watch fifth and sixth string players play almost 25 years ago and then afterward, fueled the largest increase in revenue growth the league had ever seen to that point. I don't get where this assumption that fans will desert the game if there's an extended lockout/strike/work stoppage. They won't. History proves that. Both sides are being stupid ("We're losing money", "Show us", "Just take our word for it. We're losing money." REALLY?) but there will be no fan backlash. Mark my words.

Wow, no fan backlash. You didn't watch the draft and fans booing, but that's beside the point. Back then football was nothing to people; it wasn't the biggest game in the U.S or even second. It was basketball and baseball. Baseball destroyed its fan base by taking away part of the year due to a strike in the 90's and the same goes for basketball. NHL saw everything drop once they came back. I didn't say this revolt would last forever and like you said history has shown us fans will comeback.

Here is the thing when baseball strike they were the biggest sport and football was getting better and basketball was exciting to watch. When basketball went on strike football was neck and neck with them for that number 1 spot. NFL has owned it since. Now the NFL faces possible canceled games because people want more money who already have a lot of money (and yes those third stringers who still make 300k plus because of a vet min) have money.

Now the biggest difference for the NFL compared to MLB and NBA... they weren't in a time where gas continued to rise and people were worrying about money. Lastly NFL has two things breathing down its back for number one, College football (A sport where fans love to watch because they feel more tradition) and UFC. You have to think that had to be a happy moment for Dana when they went on strike, because now people will look for violence and since they'll stop paying for tickets and NFL ticket, they can spend their 50 bucks on a sport that doesn't go into an off-season.

Strikes always lead to competition growing (FedEx when UPS striked, Sports when others strike, Sunshine when Writers striked)

Remi we can't trust your word honestly, half the time you gloat about a player not making it Bulaga or how a company loses money by selling a product (LMFAO) or how you are so smart and great that you chart plays, play loads of video games, mange all these great companies, and still find time to help the Nets get to Brooklyn (by the way I really want the Rays to move to the city of Tampa how to I go about that?) (and seriously don't answer that question.) (no wait do, I could use a good laugh today)

But I applaud you, tons of people wrote a bunch of stuff in this and you singled me out as the only one to talk about and crack on my comments. Peter Hilton once told me he felt honored to be compared to you, I feel honored you singled me out :’( (happy cry)

There are still concerns at O-Line and the secondary. Bowers injury scares people (he feel from top 5 to 53) but that might put that chip on his shoulder. If I was the Bucs I would keep Talib for one reason, you need him. He will probably get suspended for 4 to 8 games, but when he comes back he will help. If you release him you get nothing from him, if he does it again he's pretty much gone for good anyways. Tanard is the same way, he has done anything like Talib, he just likes to puff and has failed test 2 times because of it. I am not saying that their actions warrant to keep them and if they don't I am fine with it, but I personally don't care they are getting in trouble more because I don't care when celebs. get in trouble.

I love the Bowers pick. You get a first round talent for the price of a late 2nd rounder. A lot of 2ndd round picks end up being busts anyway so why night shoot high.

I dont know that this is much larger gamble that a lot of other 2nd round picks so IMO the Bucs probably did the best because they got a potential All-Pro with theirs.

Too many NFL GMs are scared to take risks and that is a big reason why they are stuck in mediocrity. Of course their is a fine line between taking risks and being completely insane.(Raiders)

Remi we can't trust your word honestly, half the time you gloat about a player not making it Bulaga or how a company loses money by selling a product (LMFAO) or how you are so smart and great that you chart plays, play loads of video games, mange all these great companies, and still find time to help the Nets get to Brooklyn (by the way I really want the Rays to move to the city of Tampa how to I go about that?) (and seriously don't answer that question.) (no wait do, I could use a good laugh today)

But I applaud you, tons of people wrote a bunch of stuff in this and you singled me out as the only one to talk about and crack on my comments. Peter Hilton once told me he felt honored to be compared to you, I feel honored you singled me out :’( (happy cry)

Easy GB...

He was just voicing his opinion. No reason to get upset.

I don't know why the Detroit Lions are getting such high draft grades. I liked the Fairley pick but after that I got a bit confused. WR? We drafted a WR in the 2nd round when we have Calvin Johnson, and Nate Burleson? We have no OLB's! Oh but we got one in the 5th round. 5th rounders rarely pan out. Grrrrrrrrrrr! So mad right now.

I don't know why the Detroit Lions are getting such high draft grades. I liked the Fairley pick but after that I got a bit confused. WR? We drafted a WR in the 2nd round when we have Calvin Johnson, and Nate Burleson? We have no OLB's! Oh but we got one in the 5th round. 5th rounders rarely pan out. Grrrrrrrrrrr! So mad right now.

Completely understand why many Lions fans are feeling that way. But there is no doubt about the fact that we were in desperate need for a slot receiver. B Johnson just flat out sucks and D Williams just never panned out. It Titus can play as well as he did at Boise then it really opens up Calvin; as it was last season Calvin was constantly double teamed because nobody had to worry about B Johnson or whomever was thrown into the slot.

And yes, we need OLB and CB much more than we needed WR or RB however, once Bruce Carter, Ras-I Dowling, Aaron Williams, and Akeem Ayers were off the board, the OLB and CB prospects just weren't that impressive. the LB and CB class just wasn't very deep at all this year.

Personally, I was happy they didn't reach just to fill holes even if they didn't address their 2 biggest needs. Reaching to fill needs is what Millen did his entire time in Detroit and it didn't work out too well (although the fact he just sucked at evaluating prospects plays a big part of that too lol).

That's not to say I'm completely happy with the draft. Well I like the Fairly and Loushore picks, I was hoping for Rahim Moore or some o-line help (especially someone who could push Raiola out) at that point of the Titus pick in the draft. But they seem to be very high on Titus and he is a pretty explosive player so hopefully he works out.

Anyway, after 3 drafts it's quite apparent that Mayhew's strategy is to draft talented players regardless of team needs and to use free agency as a means to plug up any holes they don't think they can fill with the draft. I'm guessing Detroit will be pretty active in free agency trying to land some LB's and CB's and hopefully they'll look at our pretty nice looking DLine and see the value of playing behind them. Now if they don't address LB and CB during free agency, then I'll be as confused and mad as anyone else.

• 1 month later...

Top 10 QB

1) Montana

2) Tom Brady

3) Peyton Manning

4) Moon

5) Marino

6) Unitas

7) Elway

8) Favre

9) Brees

10) Dan Fouts

Top 10 Running backs all-time to me (not just stats, but overall skills)

1) Jim Brown

2) Barry Sanders

3) Walter Payton

4) Ricky Williams

5) Bill Sims

6) Bo Jackson

7) LT

8) Marshall Faulk

9) O.J Simpson

10) Marcus Allen

Top 10 WR

1) Rice

2) Moss

3) Harrison

4) Cris Carter

5) Larry Fitz

6) Tim Brown

7) James Lofton

8) Isaac Bruce

9) T.O

10) Andre Reed

7) LT

Since when has Lawrence Taylor been a running back? That's the only LT I acknowledge.

La T I will give you since I know that's who you mean. But I swear every time I hear someone call Tomlinson LT I want to know who had to go and be so mean as to make the baby panda cry. There's only one LT and he played on the other side of the ball.

Since when has Lawrence Taylor been a running back? That's the only LT I acknowledge.

La T I will give you since I know that's who you mean. But I swear every time I hear someone call Tomlinson LT I want to know who had to go and be so mean as to make the baby panda cry. There's only one LT and he played on the other side of the ball.

Lol I just call him LT because it's easier then spelling his name out lmfao

Lol I just call him LT because it's easier then spelling his name out lmfao

I hear ya man. But this has annoyed me from the beginning. If Tomlinson's so great and he clearly is, why can't he have his own thing? He's far too good to piggybacking anybody else.

Top 10 QB

1) Montana

2) Tom Brady

3) Peyton Manning

4) Moon

5) Marino

6) Unitas

7) Elway

8) Favre

9) Brees

10) Dan Fouts

Top 10 Running backs all-time to me (not just stats, but overall skills)

1) Jim Brown

2) Barry Sanders

3) Walter Payton

4) Ricky Williams

5) Bill Sims

6) Bo Jackson

7) LT

8) Marshall Faulk

9) O.J Simpson

10) Marcus Allen

Top 10 WR

1) Rice

2) Moss

3) Harrison

4) Cris Carter

5) Larry Fitz

6) Tim Brown

7) James Lofton

8) Isaac Bruce

9) T.O

10) Andre Reed

Ricky Williams?????????????????

Lance Alworth would be on my list of WRs too

Ricky Williams?????????????????

Lance Alworth would be on my list of WRs too

when Ricky is healthy and is mind is right, there was no one better. Go watch film of him seriously.

I wanted to put Lance up there and I almost didn't put Larry up there, but Larry is such a talent that I couldn't leave him off, and when it is all said and done he might be the 2nd best wideout ever.