Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

'kay. Let's just say that I'll take the word of every former player, coach, and GM who has related that opinion over yours. The old axiom has become rote because it's true: you learn more from failure than success. But you continue to believe that one game of playoff experience (whether good, bad, or indifferent) isn't worth anything. Meanwhile, those borderline players on playoff teams who get big bucks specifically because they've "been there" kinda makes your belief look silly. Just like one outstanding playoff game performance doesn't and shouldn't define a player's talent level, likewise one bad playoff performance doesn't and shouldn't define a player's talent level. That is, unless you think Dexter Jackson was actually a great player. :rolleyes: Though I suppose you might if your view extends in the opposite direction (OMG Super Bowl MVP! Hall of Fame!!).

I am a Lions fan and a loss in the playoffs doesn't make you any better. Remember a guy named Scott Mitchel? No? You shouldn't! He had an MVP season and another good season only to get dropped bad by the Eagles in the playoffs and never again was considered a good QB. His good experience in the playoffs was his demise! Plus he just sucked.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ the Playoff debate...depends on the situation really...

Kordell Stewart had a record setting pro bowl season in 1997-98...in the AFC Championship he fumbled once and threw 3 ints in a 24-21 loss to the Broncos...A year or so later he was done, benched, crying on the sidelines...In alot of ways he (mentally) never recovered from that loss and his career was over...

Ben Rothlisberger, on the other hand, was terrible his first trip to the playoffs...very shakey in a win over the Jets and awful in the AFC Championship game vs the Patriots...is he Peyton Manning? No...but he's won two Superbowls since then

Point being, well no point really....just wanted to talk about the Steelers :D

Kordell Stewart had a record setting pro bowl season in 1997-98...in the AFC Championship he fumbled once and threw 3 ints in a 24-21 loss to the Broncos...A year or so later he was done, benched, crying on the sidelines...In alot of ways he (mentally) never recovered from that loss and his career was over...

Ben Rothlisberger, on the other hand, was terrible his first trip to the playoffs...very shakey in a win over the Jets and awful in the AFC Championship game vs the Patriots...is he Peyton Manning? No...but he's won two Superbowls since then

I will finish your point. The point is playing in the playoffs doesn't make you better. Good players that are capable of improving get better while others don't improve. There isn't a correlation I feel.

I will finish your point. The point is playing in the playoffs doesn't make you better. Good players that are capable of improving get better while others don't improve. There isn't a correlation I feel.

Pretty much...in sports...and life for that matter...every one faces a time of adversity and challenge...what one does with that is up to the them, it can be a learning experience (Big Ben) or a major setback (Kordell)

ehh, Kordell didn't have that great of a year in 97-98. He did well with rushing TD's but he made mistakes throwing the ball all year had 6 fumbles throughout the year. Kordell honestly was never that great of a QB his numbers never matched his first and you could be right about the AFC title game hurting him mentally, but I think it had more to do with him not being a good QB.

Ben had a rough first Ben is a good QB (not elite) who is on a great team. I am not saying if Ben need to win a game he couldn't, but he looks more comfortable in helping out early and pretty much controlling a game.

The only debate with playoffs is some players do great under pressure (Brady, Montana) others crumble. Just like the preseason where people can look great against a 1st teamer and then the season begins and nothing. It's a different mentality from the three sub-seasons. Preseason no one cares other then ones trying to make the team, Season everyone cares because they are playing for real to make it to the true season which is, Playoffs everyone is focused and trying their best. Some cut it, others can't.

I love my Redskins, but if they name Beck starter over Grossman I'm going to be one pissed off female!

My dear girl, what's it matter who your quarterback is going to be? 1: You guys are going to stink this year. And 2: You're going to be a running team. You guys could bring back Billy Kilmer under center for all the difference it will make.

And please note that I say this as a fan who would consider it a minor miracle for my team to reach .500 this year.

I'm sorry.

Shush!

My dear girl, what's it matter who your quarterback is going to be? 1: You guys are going to stink this year. And 2: You're going to be a running team. You guys could bring back Billy Kilmer under center for all the difference it will make.

And please note that I say this as a fan who would consider it a minor miracle for my team to reach .500 this year.

I just can't stand Beck.

I know they're not going to be a great team, but I'm a fan, have been since I was little. :)

• 3 weeks later...
So I am not a cowboys fan, but Romo playing with his injuries was pretty badass.

/Redskins are off to a good start (yay)

I saw clips of that game on ESPN, that was pretty good. I was impressed.

Shanny's gameplanning is one of his strengths. No surprise there. Meanwhile, we have Kyle Orton and an o-line susceptible to interior lapses. I wonder what position they'll play Tebow in this week. He played WR on a couple of occasions during the last game.

Broncos' schedule after week 3 looks brutal.

Anyone have thoughts on Alex Smith?????

He sucks ass and has for quite some time now. No fans in the bay wanted him back, but with the lockout it seemed to be a marriage of convenience.

Hell Harbaugh doesn't trust him one bit and it showed last week. They got a 15 yard penalty on a FG kick early in the 4th that would have given them a first down at about the 25 yard line, but rather than put it in Smith's hands and see if they could get a TD, Harbaugh declined the penalty and just took the 3 points.

The rookie kicker missing a 20 yarder earlier probably contributed to Harbaughs mistrust but still it showed a complete lack of trust that the offense lead by Smith wouldn't turn the ball over. Pretty much shows what his peers think of him tbh.

That's about the reaction most gave Grossmen. He's been doing good.

Just sucks I had to pick Smith up for this week because I can't count on Romo, and Campbell is no good for this week. :p

Will say I'm pleased with the Week 1 and 2 games. Some were pretty awesome.

Still love Romo playing hurt to win in overtime. If that were Brady he'd want fines and penalties. :p

That's about the reaction most gave Grossmen. He's been doing good.

It's two weeks into the season. Hell, Jay Cutler is still alive despite the hellacious beatings he's taken. Heck, if you just consider stats, Cam Newton is as good as Tom Brady (the rook has had two good games so he must be HOF bound, right???).

Rex will revert to the bonehead he is soon enough.

But I love how people are making much ado about players "faking" injuries to slow the game down. Hi, welcome to 1985. Why is this news? Coaches teach this at all levels of play. Hell, our strat in HS was, after 5 plays in the hurry up, Stinson (dime corner) was to grab something and writhe for a couple seconds. While he's being attended to, we're substituting and scoping out the offense's personnel. Most teams in college have done it (especially when facing a run & shoot type team like Houston was or those straight up spread attacks that are so commonplace now), even though the coaches don't officially sanction it (they can't without fear of reprisal).

It's two weeks into the season. Hell, Jay Cutler is still alive despite the hellacious beatings he's taken. Heck, if you just consider stats, Cam Newton is as good as Tom Brady (the rook has had two good games so he must be HOF bound, right???).

Rex will revert to the bonehead he is soon enough.

Yes it's been two weeks, but the fact is for these two weeks the numbers have been good. Later yeah maybe hex won't be, but right now what was, or what will be doesn't matter.

It's a new season. Anything is possible.

Its the same thing I told my brother last night. We got into a fight over fantasy football. He says his team is better. Maybe so, but I'm 2-0 to his 0--2. He says match ups. He's right. You can claim any team/player is the best. If he has a bad game guess what? He loses.

By saying it's only week two holds no standard.

But I love how people are making much ado about players "faking" injuries to slow the game down. Hi, welcome to 1985. Why is this news? Coaches teach this at all levels of play. Hell, our strat in HS was, after 5 plays in the hurry up, Stinson (dime corner) was to grab something and writhe for a couple seconds. While he's being attended to, we're substituting and scoping out the offense's personnel. Most teams in college have done it (especially when facing a run & shoot type team like Houston was or those straight up spread attacks that are so commonplace now), even though the coaches don't officially sanction it (they can't without fear of reprisal).

I think it's news mostly because the Giants did a terrible job at making it look believable.

I have to say I am loving the fact that the Bills beat the Patriots. As sad as this is about to sound that loss almost made my weekend. I say almost because the Red Sox downfall is much more satisfying.

I was shocked that the Giants beat the Eagles, it seems every single time I pick the Giants to win they lose and when I pick them to lose they win. Such is life is suppose.