Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Wallbanger" data-cite="Wallbanger" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If McNabb is willing to take the pay cut, it is indeed a good deal. I do think we'll end up losing Rice which will have us desperate to replace him, otherwise we'll just see Ds stack the box on us all game long again. Who makes sense to go after in a scenario like that?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You know what your getting with Mcnabb right, a guy who cant hit an open reciver. Its either too long or too short...ALWAYS</p>

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jwt13" data-cite="jwt13" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Mcnabb can go I just hope we start the young guy instead of Grossman. We also will most likely get holmes and with Moss staying longer and Hankerson at wideouts.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Don't get your hopes up there, bruh. You're not getting Holmes. Everyone on the Jets is restructuring their contracts to clear cap space. Nnamdi's likely to take less than market value to play for a winner and in Rex's scheme (which pretty much showcases his ability) so keeping Santonio isn't out of the question. And if you're counting on Hankerson actually contributing this year, with about 3 weeks worth of prep/playbook access, I dunno what to tell you. Rookie receivers RARELY put out during their rookie seasons under normal circumstances (that is, with OTAs and basically 4 months of time with their playbook) and Hankerson doesn't come with the rep of being a particularly hard worker (contrast him with say, Austin Collie). Plus, unlike someone like Collie (who did produce as a rookie), the Skins don't have anywhere near that caliber of quarterback so there's going to be serious pains for the first half of the season, until your rookies get a clue.</p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Wallbanger" data-cite="Wallbanger" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26529" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>If McNabb is willing to take the pay cut, it is indeed a good deal. I do think we'll end up losing Rice which will have us desperate to replace him, otherwise we'll just see Ds stack the box on us all game long again. Who makes sense to go after in a scenario like that?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Hmm, lot of good receivers out there, with a lot of youth as well. You've got Braylon Edwards, Lance Moore, Ocho, TO (midseason), I've read the Panthers would be open to dealing Steve Smith, Plax, I'm sure you can't bring Randy Moss back, OH! And Steve Smith of the Giants! There's a young receiver with good to great upside. I think the Vikings problem is going to be replacing Darrell Bevell more than anything else. With the shortened offseason, they're not going to have time to fully install Musgrave's offense.</p>

Nnamdi and Revis on the same team scare me. The only good that can come out of it is the amount of talk Bart Scott will now get to do :D

Vikings... meh. Christian Ponder will be a better choice than McNabb by the end of the season. There's a reason that McNabb can be had for pennies.

Nnamdi and Revis on the same team scare me. The only good that can come out of it is the amount of talk Bart Scott will now get to do :D

RIGHT? Just thinking of where Rex would bring pressure from boggles the mind. Where do you throw it to if you don't have a top tier tight end? Show cover 4 and switch to man free at the snap, with 8 rushing the QB. Heck, he could conceivably rush both corners and fall into a cover 3. That would bring massive chaos to an offense. Remember back in the 90s when teams (like the Falcons, Niners, and Cowboys *cough*) would assign one corner to the opposing team's #1 WR and just have them cover them the whole game? Rex wouldn't have to do that at all. It would be a pick your poison type of situation (most teams would probably have to put their #1 in the slot).

But I don't think Nnamdi's going to wind up with the Jets unless he gives a massive discount. There are too many teams lined up to throw money at him, I think (though none of them besides the Jets are an actual contender).

Hmm, lot of good receivers out there, with a lot of youth as well. You've got Braylon Edwards, Lance Moore, Ocho, TO (midseason), I've read the Panthers would be open to dealing Steve Smith, Plax, I'm sure you can't bring Randy Moss back, OH! And Steve Smith of the Giants! There's a young receiver with good to great upside. I think the Vikings problem is going to be replacing Darrell Bevell more than anything else. With the shortened offseason, they're not going to have time to fully install Musgrave's offense.

All good choices to be sure, not sure how much money they're willing to spend, though.

Musgrave's had background with both West Coast and smashmouth systems, so his schemes shouldn't look to unfamiliar to them, but the early part of the season is going to be shaky, I agree.

Also...

Cardinals acquired QB Kevin Kolb from the Eagles in exchange for CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and a 2012 second-round pick.

Kolb will land a five-year, $63.5 million contract with $21.5 million guaranteed to take over as Arizona's much-needed franchise QB. It's a high price to pay in dollars and assets, penance for failing to develop Matt Leinart and wasting a season on Derek Anderson. We would have preferred Kyle Orton for a mid-round pick, but the Cardinals are obviously sold on Kolb as the solution. Though Larry Fitzgerald is now locked in as a top-five fantasy receiver, Kolb will remain a high-end QB2. Minus the Eagles' dynamic weapons, Kolb's upside takes a hit from last summer.

-Reggie Bush to the Dolphins

-Vince Young cut.

-Steve Smith (the Panther) isn't getting traded.

-Texans in lead for Nnamdi

-MeSean Jackson is holding out

Well this week has stunk so far for Atlanta. Lost out on Charles Johnson, and now the DE pickings are really slim, although I heard a possible Osi trade might be in the works. Haven't signed a single free agent, just re-signed Stephen Nicholas.

Tyson Clabo getting real cozy with Buffalo, hoping he is just using them for leverage. With 3/5 of the starting OL without contracts, I'm a little worried at the moment.

Also Brent Grimes needs to hurry up and get his situation sorted out since he is a restricted free agent.

-Texans in lead for Nnamdi

Ocho and Haynesworth to the Patriots, Greg Olson to the Panthers (who now have one helluva pair of TEs).

Last I heard, Brad Smith signing with the Bills gave the Jets a lot more leeway to pursue Nnamdi. Regardless, it's going to come down to whether he wants to win or whether he wants to simply cash in. If the former, there's only one choice (and it's not the n00b Niners or the "We're great at 8-8" Texans) among the three frontrunners. Kinda surprised as I thought this would be a no-brainer. After years of playing for the Raiders (who haven't had a legit chance at winning anything worthy of note in almost a decade), you'd think he'd actually want to be playing meaningful games in late December/early January. At 30 years old, he probably doesn't have that many years left (Darrell Green types are outliers) and I'd think he'd at least want a shot at playing on the big stage at least once. Of the contending teams that could realistically go after him, the Jets situation (partially due to Rex) would seem the most attractive. i.e. teams can't treat him like they did with the Raiders and just throw at Stanford Routt/away from Nnamdi. Plus, given the difference in market sizes, he could more than make up the cash difference with endorsements.

Ah well, we shall see.

Sorry Wallbanger. :(

Sidney Rice is a Seahawk. 5 years, 41 mil, 18.5 guaranteed.

Yeah, and T-Jack as well. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some connection, as I recall they got along fairly well in the locker room, though they weren't on the field together very much.

yea it the greatness of the NFL

Havent been folling the Dallas Cowboys as much As I could, so has Dallas got any good FA yet or is intertested in any? Might help the team a little bit, but we got a good team already though lead by Tony Romo(You can hate him, but he is a good Franchise QB for Dallas) Plus I love Jason Garrett as Dallas Head Coach. He is WAAYYY Better than the Soft Wade Phillips. Jason is going to put Disicpine in that team!

I love the craziness of the NFL, Bears camp starts Saturday. So far they haven't done much.

Uh, what?

Cut the punter, signed a younger model

Traded the starting tight end, cut his backup, signed someone so they could say they have a tight end

Cut the starting center

Left Matt Forte hanging on a new deal

They haven't been New England but they've done a bit. If they're smart, they'll sign Roy Williams so they at least have some semblance of a #1. But they really haven't addressed their O-line at all.

yea it the greatness of the NFL

Havent been folling the Dallas Cowboys as much As I could, so has Dallas got any good FA yet or is intertested in any? Might help the team a little bit, but we got a good team already though lead by Tony Romo(You can hate him, but he is a good Franchise QB for Dallas) Plus I love Jason Garrett as Dallas Head Coach. He is WAAYYY Better than the Soft Wade Phillips. Jason is going to put Disicpine in that team!

As far as I know, the Cowboys have only subtracted players, aside from re-signing Doug Free and losing Stephen Bowen. They were way over the cap though, so they had to make some cuts. Cullen Jenkins is someone I hear they're interested in but so are a lot of teams.

And "good team" is debatable. Your defense is decimated. Both safeties...gone. No defensive ends of note. And you still need O-line help (who's your right guard?), especially at center since Andre Gurode is out for a bit of camp after knee surgery.

Jason Garrett could be an upgrade over Wade Phillips but then anyone with a pulse could've told you that YEARS ago before Wade was hired. I'm a Broncos fan, I could've told you Wade isn't head coach material. Passing over Garrett every year cost Jerry Jones dearly (since he had to financially entice Jason to stay every offseason when he was near the top of everyone's list for any head coaching openings), which is often the case when you make stupid moves.

Have the Browns or Jaguars gotten any decent free agents? I'm not following football at the moment due to real life issues, but just thought I'd check in and ask :)

Erm, the Jags jumped out immediately. Paul Posluzny is quite a get and Clint Session isn't bad either (especially considering who signing him damages). The Jags still have huge gaping holes they need to fill but they've got cap space to spare. They won't wind up with any of the top tier FAs and they won't do any trading (ala the Patriots) but the game's not over yet.

The Browns? Well, they could always bring Braylon back. :p

And now, since the Texans have signed Johnathan Joseph from the Bungles, it seems as though Nnamdi's options are disappearing. I want to see him sign with the Jets for one reason and one reason only: I want to see what schemes Rex comes up with with the two best corners in the game on his defense.

Looking for an outside perspective on how my Carolina Panthers have been doing in free agency. To me it looks like we're really positioning ourselves as contenders right now so long as Cam Newton pans out as our Quarterback. But this could be just the homer in me talking.

They can position themselves as whatever they want to. They're not fooling anyone. Cam isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and thus, he's not going to pick up an NFL offense in three weeks. Jimmy Clausen will start the season as the #1 QB, if they're smart. They'll still be drafting in the top ten next year though.

THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE VIKINGS

I can feel it bay be

Did they trade off for Mc Nabb i heard they were. Anyone know how that is going.

McNabb's a Viking already. In fact, Chris Kluwe (the punter, and current owner of the #5 jersey) has already set his terms for giving McNabb that number.

As for this being the Vikings year, um, I dunno about that. Who's your #1 receiver? Who's your kicker? Who's replacing Pat Williams? Who's replacing Ray Edwards (assuming he signs elsewhere, which is likely)? There's a starting corner missing (Lito's an FA), the offense has holes, and some of the biggest pieces of the defense are missing. Training camps will have started and new signings can't actually participate in camp until next week (the 4th) and a lot of teams (the Vikings among them) still have largely unsettled rosters. I don't think it's safe to say it's anyone's year just yet.

Im calling it now 2012 Superbowl New England Vs Redskins and Redskins win 38-35 in OT -___-

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

OMG VY in Philly! HOLY CRAP! That is, WOW! Assuming DeSean shows up for the season, holy crap! Andy Reid could do the two QB on the field thing (like he did with McNabb & Vick) and force teams to burn timeouts. End arounds inside the opponent's 30 would wreak havoc! And in that offense, Vince wouldn't have to do much with the weapons he has (DeSean, Maclin, Celek, McCoy).

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

OMG VY in Philly! HOLY CRAP! That is, WOW! Assuming DeSean shows up for the season, holy crap! Andy Reid could do the two QB on the field thing (like he did with McNabb & Vick) and force teams to burn timeouts. End arounds inside the opponent's 30 would wreak havoc! And in that offense, Vince wouldn't have to do much with the weapons he has (DeSean, Maclin, Celek, McCoy).

I feel bad for Philly fans and anyone stupid enough to think VY being on their team is a benefit to them. Two QBs? Why removes a blocker or one of the Eagles many talented targets to put some childish, over-hyped hack on the field? Just to give Vick an extra challenge (on account of him being kinda on the awesome side (in terms of his on field play))? Vince Young is no Donovan McNabb... he's not even an AJ Feeley. I wouldn't be shocked to see them try it, and hey, maybe they'll get lucky... but in the end it'd just be another gimmick play that'd work at best maybe once next season. Eagles are much better off letting Vick stay on the field and do his thing.

The real bonus they get for Young is that he's, essentially, a very poor man's Michael Vick... in the sense that he's a scrambler. I won't insult Vick by comparing the two's passing abilities. And while we're on the subject, Vick is a much, MUCH better scrambler even, partially due to one of the few advantages to being a shorter QB means Vick has a much lower center of gravity and can cut very, very well. Young is agile in the pocket, and he's got a good burst of speed, but Vick can break ankles. Still, having a capable scrambler under center as both your starter and back-up means minimal adjustments for the rest of the offense should Vick get injured (which seems likely, lol).

Still, Vince Young overall sucks. IF he can keep his poor attitude in check, then he might still have many, many years to look forward to as a solid number two. That said, as a coach I'd always be worried he'd come off the bench when my starter got injured, proceed to suck, and then start sulking and sobbing rather than try to forget his mistakes and keep his head in the game. I guess the one real positive I can say about Young versus Vick is that at least Vince Young never murdered any dogs (that we know of :eek:)

Anywho... glad to see the Texans grab Joseph. Would've LOVED to have Asomugha, but let's be honest: he was probably just playing Houston for leverage to get a bigger pay day elsewhere. Can't blame him, he MIGHT be the best cornerback in the league (Revis being the only real competition there). Still, I've watched more Bengals games the last couple of years than I'm proud to admit, so I've seen how talented Joseph is. No Asomugha, but I'd still put him in the top tenish, or close to it.

Mixed feelings on Kolb heading to Arizona... No no no, it's a great move for the Cards (even if losing DRG will hurt). I think Kolb is a very capable QB, and it'll mean Fitzgerald is back to being super scary. I just hate the fact my Rams will have to deal with that.

And it's totally going to be the Patriots year, again. Belichick has a way with players with personality problems, and Haynesworth has a pay check to play for: means he'll likely actually show up this year. And Ocho is no Randy Moss, but I think he'll shine in New England's system (and with Brady throwing him the ball and Welker being generally awesome across from him!). With Fat Albert hungry for more than cake, and another geniune #1 reciever lining up with another #1 WR, ontop of what the Patriots already have... yeah.

OH, and the Bengals? They're gonna be the Bengals we all know and love again this year: 4-12, anyone?