The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

All we have to ask ourselves is "Is Chael Sonnen better or worse on top than a dehydrated, gassed Travis Lutter who missed weight for his title fight?"

(Also he had a broken arm in the Filho fight)

I was just yanking your chain ;-) I fully respect the Sonnen bro-mance...I think everything that man says should be recorded for posterity.

I like Fujii but her record has absolutely no one of worth on it. This is more a result of women's MMA than anything else but I think Fuuji's pretty criminally overrated for someone whose record consists mostly of journeymen. Hopefully she sees some real competition in this tournament.

It's got everyone of note at 115 pounds, and a number of bigger girls. Who else is there for her to beat? If you look at the mens records for 115, they all look the same. 4-3, 10-5, 2-1 etc...you can only beat whoever is put on front of you, and to her credit, she's also moved up in weight to fight bigger gals as well. Most of the girls she has fought are amongst the best female grapplers in the world too. Nothing to be sniffed it.

Like you said, the problem is that there isn't a massive depth of talent at 115. I suppose you could say the same thing (to an extent) about the 135 mens division in the US until recently. At the same time, I don't think Fujii (or any other girl at that weight) should be moving up to fight the Caranos, Cyborgs, Toughills etc, much in the same way as nobody is calling for GSP to fight at 205 to cement his legecy.

This 155lb tourney is supposed to have 8 of the top ten 115lb women in the world in it. Hopefully once she's swept the field, she'll get some more respect in the US. Crowd seemed to like her at Bellator last night, despite the fact the she was fighting a limpet. :p

Fell asleep before the Amada/Curran fight, just about to watch it now...

It's got everyone of note at 115 pounds, and a number of bigger girls. Who else is there for her to beat? If you look at the mens records for 115, they all look the same. 4-3, 10-5, 2-1 etc...you can only beat whoever is put on front of you, and to her credit, she's also moved up in weight to fight bigger gals as well. Most of the girls she has fought are amongst the best female grapplers in the world too. Nothing to be sniffed it.

Like you said, the problem is that there isn't a massive depth of talent at 115. I suppose you could say the same thing (to an extent) about the 135 mens division in the US until recently. At the same time, I don't think Fujii (or any other girl at that weight) should be moving up to fight the Caranos, Cyborgs, Toughills etc, much in the same way as nobody is calling for GSP to fight at 205 to cement his legecy.

This 155lb tourney is supposed to have 8 of the top ten 115lb women in the world in it. Hopefully once she's swept the field, she'll get some more respect in the US. Crowd seemed to like her at Bellator last night, despite the fact the she was fighting a limpet. :p

Fell asleep before the Amada/Curran fight, just about to watch it now...

Well exactly. I'm not contesting that she's the #1 115lb women's fighter, just that the division (and women's MMA in general) is a giant mess of who knows and that I wouldn't be surprised if she did lose against someone in the tournament, especially considering she's 35 (?) and might be slowing down.

And to be fair she didn't ever fight Tsuji or Matsumoto and with one losing her last fight and the other retiring it's probably not going to happen soon.

Well exactly. I'm not contesting that she's the #1 115lb women's fighter, just that the division (and women's MMA in general) is a giant mess of who knows and that I wouldn't be surprised if she did lose against someone in the tournament, especially considering she's 35 (?) and might be slowing down.

And to be fair she didn't ever fight Tsuji or Matsumoto and with one losing her last fight and the other retiring it's probably not going to happen soon.

Matsumoto was in a different weightclass. She was also notoriously stubborn about getting fighters to come down to her, rather than meeting halfway. Personally I feel that fighters should move up, rather than down, once they have cleared out a division. I've not seen the retirement match between her and Fujii, but I understand it was essentially an exhibition/work, with Fujii letting Matsumoto get her trademark flying armbar in just before the bell. Bless her.

You got me on Tsuji though, that is a wierd one...I remember a few years back there was talk of one of the big Japanese shows putting it on, but it fell through. I might be waaaaay off here, but I seem to remember Tsuji having a baby at some point, which put the fight on the backburner.

Still, for me, Tsuji wasn't a career-making fight for Fujii. Most of her wins came under Smackgirl rules, which are horrendously twisted towards kickboxers (30 second stand-ups regardless of action, no strikes to the head on the ground)...I don't really class that (mainly the 30-second rule) as 'propper' MMA.

Bellator have only confirmed Fujii, Sexton (a super-flyweight), Ward and Pene for their tourney so far. Elena Reid (19-6-6 boxer with a couple of MMA fights, 4-1) is supposedly a lock. I'm going to say Jess Aguilar, Angelica Magana and Lynn Alvarez will make up the rest of the bracket. I can't see them having more than one Japanese fighter in there to be honest. Looking forward to this a lot more than the HW men's tourney. I can see that turning into the 'Cole Konrad' dry-humping show. I was quite high on Dave Herman for a while, but he's not looked good recently.

Petition to change Mega Megu's nickname to whatever "Pillowpunches" in Japanese would be.

I thought Imada won that fight, but I'm beginning to just not give a crap what the judges say. I'm starting to view decisions as draws, unless it's just absolutely lopsided. Neither of these guys have a squirt's chance of beating Alvarez, so it's moot in the end.

Worst Bellator I've watched this season by far... STILL looking forward to next show though. :)

I so wanted with alot of passion to see tito vs lydall......I am STILL a tito fan.......but i am starting to get very sick of his additude. Franklin vs lydall on paper was going to be a decent fight....but i mean come on......tito was the reason i wanted to get this fight. Yeah i know they announced it was going to be franklin a while ago but still. For what its worth it was a good show worth the money. I went to my local movie theater to watch it *first time i did that* and it was very good on the huge screen. Its crazy sitting with several hundred mma fans going crazy in such a small area. I have been to several ufc shows in person but to be honest this was a very diffrent crowd lol.

Loved the Franklin/Liddell fight. Swinging for the fences, never a lull in the action it was absolutely beautiful. Really enjoyed the co-main event as well, nice to see Mirko get a good win, thought it could have been over quick when I saw him hit the floor in the first. With Mirko getting back to back wins now I would like to see him get in a title eliminator......now I know what you are all thinking, but imagine how big a Lesnar/Cro Cop PPV would be.

The Cro Cop battle train got some much needed fuel last night when he atleast brought out the remnants of his old self....

First off, I was one of those people that thought Cro Cop was done(even though he's probably top five favorite of mine all time), mostly because of his kicks.. I had heard he had rehabbed his knees, and that's why he wasn't throwing kicks in his last couple of fights. We got a real treat last night with some of those kicks. I can't remember the last time we actually saw an axe kick, that was awesome.

Mirko has at least been working on his ground game, and in my opinion completely dominated that fight. I wanna see Rothwell vs. Cro Cop now.

The Cro Cop battle train got some much needed fuel last night when he atleast brought out the remnants of his old self....

First off, I was one of those people that thought Cro Cop was done(even though he's probably top five favorite of mine all time), mostly because of his kicks.. I had heard he had rehabbed his knees, and that's why he wasn't throwing kicks in his last couple of fights. We got a real treat last night with some of those kicks. I can't remember the last time we actually saw an axe kick, that was awesome.

Mirko has at least been working on his ground game, and in my opinion completely dominated that fight. I wanna see Rothwell vs. Cro Cop now.

The Rothwell fight may not be a bad idea. Based on performances at UFC 115, I would fancy Mirko

The Rothwell fight may not be a bad idea. Based on performances at UFC 115, I would fancy Mirko

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing it. Mirko has always done well against big, slow guys. Rothwell has some power and decent wrestling, but I don't think he'd be able to ground CC like he did Yvel.

----

I was really impressed with Carlos Condit last night. He got beat for two rounds, and came out FOCUSED for one round and completely tore Macdonald apart. Not sure what Carlos' deal has been since he joined the UFC, though he's still 2-1(and I thought he beat Kampmann). He's just looked very tentative since showing up, and I was really glad to see him FINALLY open up and try to finish. Everyone at the arena was calling BS on the stoppage, but Rory himself has claimed in a few different interviews that "he didn't know what was going on, thought the round was over, and Carlos was beating him up."

I feel really bad for Mac Danzig too. His career in the UFC has been a roller coaster to say the least. While I don't really agree with his choices as a human being, he's a pretty good fighter and I always like watching him... So when that nonsense happened last night it was just thoroughly disappointing(but not as disappointing as the dude's haircut).

imagine how big a Lesnar/Cro Cop PPV would be.

Not very big. Lesnar's plenty busy with Carwin, Velasquez and dos Santos/Nelson and those three are all bigger fights than one with Cro Cop. I hope he eventually puts together a title run though.

Anyway here's some thoughts in no particular order:

Franklin rules. I called the KO (just the wrong round and punch) and I still think he's one of the most underrated fighters in the UFC.

BROKE HIS ARM STILL KEPT FIGHTING

If Barry didn't have a ground game that equaled getting guillotined by Tim Hague I don't think Cro Cop would've gotten out of the first round. I'm glad he picked up the win though.

Axe kicks! Andy Hug in MMA would've been sweet.

Paulo :( Kampmann looked very composed and fought much smarter than usual. I was really impressed with his grappling. Why didn't he do that to Daley?

Rothwell - Yvel was the most hilarious grappling display since Mayhem - Shields. The crucifix escapes and AMERICANA SWEEP ruled.

Condit - MacDonald was great. I didn't have a problem with the stoppage because I don't think the ref should consider the clock when someone is getting their face and eye sockets mauled by elbows and punches. Fantastic comeback KO.

Dunham - Griffin was interesting if a bit dull. Extended back control doesn't make for super exciting fights.

Franklin rules. I called the KO (just the wrong round and punch) and I still think he's one of the most underrated fighters in the UFC.

BROKE HIS ARM STILL KEPT FIGHTING

You know, most fighters keep fighting even with a broken hand... Even I trained with a broken hand until I got to know that it actually was broken!

You know, most fighters keep fighting even with a broken hand... Even I trained with a broken hand until I got to know that it actually was broken!

Broken hands and broken arms are very different injuries. You can still punch with a broken hand (although it will hurt depending on how you've broken it) but it's hard even doing the motion for a punch with a broken arm, never mind getting any power into it. Russow broke his arm against Duffee and looked lethargic until he landed big. Watch his hilarious tiny hammerfists with his broken arm.

I like Franklin okay :mad:

Wouldn't it be alot harder to fight with a broken arm than a broken hand?

I didn't see the fight, so I don't know but I'd have thought it would have severely limited his defense and provided a big target for Chuck.

Dunham - Griffin was interesting if a bit dull. Extended back control doesn't make for super exciting fights.

It was also interesting for the fact that someone scored it 29-28 Griffin.... My girlfriend got angry with me because I ranted so much at the fact someone with even an EDUCATED GUESS as to what was going on saw that fight as anything but a Dunham victory.

A broken hand is okay to fight with, most people -do- fight through broken hands. Problem is, Rich didn't have a broken hand, he had a broken arm... Which in most cases means he's unable to make a fist, and also unable to put any force behind any punch he would throw with that arm. He could still use it but it would basically be about as effective as hitting someone with one of those swimming noodle things.

Not to mention the psychological effect of being able to hear and feel the cracked bone moving around as you attempt to negate someone trying to punch you in the face.

Seriously, the difference between breaking a hand and breaking an arm aren't even in the same ballpark. Rich Franklin is a tough guy, always has been. And I feel like it should be noted that not every fighter that steps into the octagon is tough. There's a difference between being brave and being tough. Being tough is a gift, and in this situation an athletic gift.

Not very big. Lesnar's plenty busy with Carwin, Velasquez and dos Santos/Nelson and those three are all bigger fights than one with Cro Cop. I hope he eventually puts together a title run though.

I'm just talking about name value alone. I'm not saying that he will get a title shot even after those guys have stepped up to the plate. But I think the buyrate for a PPV headlined by Lesnar and CroCop would be huge.

I'm just talking about name value alone. I'm not saying that he will get a title shot even after those guys have stepped up to the plate. But I think the buyrate for a PPV headlined by Lesnar and CroCop would be huge.

really? (IMO) i just don't see that, cro crop is old an is fighting in a different era than he did in pride. Fighters now (at least championship contenders) are more well rounded then before. Cro hasn't headlined in America (at least to my knowledge) and he isn't getting any better. Plus the fact that he is a free agent doesn't help. Would I like to see Lesnar vs CroCop sure it would be an fun fight to watch, I just don't think CroCop has the name value in America to do it.

Also did anyone see where Toney vs Couture has already been signed?

Cro Cop was enormous in Japan but he's completely fizzled in America, largely due to how disappointing his fights have been so far.

He gets cheers because he's old, recognizable and people can youtube his highlight reel but until he puts together a legit title run, preferably punctuated with a left high kick (or at least some axe kicks) I don't think he's going to be headline material.

Also if I hadn't seen Barry get guillotined by Tim Hague from the bottom I would have been convinced this fight was a work because of how abysmally Barry defended that RNC.

Funny thing is we all sat here talking about Crocop headline and could he or couldn't he, but here are the facts

1) He has never one a CHAMPIONSHIP (please don't come here with the grand prix) in Pride or UFC

2) His contract is up

3) Pat Berry could have been his last fight, many are talking about how he might just retire.