The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Doesn't this explain their problem though and how their business plan makes no sense? I knew that Showtime gave them money and while it is not "you" that is wrong, its them.

This and they basically say they exist because of Showtime, it allows them to pay "big names" (that aren't that big) for no one to see. How is that a competent business plan? To me its a big slap in the face that our business model is awful and since we cannot afford these big names maybe we shouldn't have them and should actually try building up a promotion. Paying Hendo lots of money makes no sense if 300,000 people watch while 2 million watch TUF finale.

If they can't pay the big guys too bad, don't sign them, thats any survival of the fittest or business plan. Instead of having guys like Hendo/Fedor/Nick that ask for alot of money stick to your cross promotion and own guys like King Mo, Rogers, JC, Mayhem, Shields (instead of throwing him under the bus) while building up some of new guys.

That's why I love Bellator. They seem to actually have a building block plan. Do they draw millions upon millions and swim in cash? No. But maybe one day they will and they understand that.

Here's the thing; Strikeforce are actually profitable (somehow.) The declining numbers of viewers, loss of big draws and utter inability to create new ones is going to be trouble down the line but they're making money. Bellator is dependent on their sugar daddies fancying themselves having an MMA promotion and unless this F/X deal can turn them around they'll stay that way.

My favorite part about the UFC - WEC merger was the possibly influx of international talent. Omigawa and Kid before it's even really picked up steam? Awesome.

Just read that a bit ago. I hope if they can get a few it will create a sort of landslide effect that will have alot of the top Japanese guys seeing (hopefully) how well the UFC treats them.

I think it's already happening. The difference between being paid WEC money and UFC money is going to be all it takes to eventually get every top featherweight out of Japan. I think the hold up on some of these guys will just be waiting out contracts.

Prolly already answered, certainly old news, but anyway:

Dude, did Dana White fire/insert word Big John McCarthy? Why? And if not, where the hell is he?

The short answer is no, as John was employed by the State Athletic Commissions in recent years (back in the day, before state regulation he and his wife were employees of the promotion) so Dana couldn't fire him.

The long answer is that John 'retired' from reffing a couple of years back to take a job with The Fight Network. During this time he made some...interesting comments about certain state athletic commissions, their policies and employees, specifically Nevada.

This basically led to Nevada not licensing him when he came out of retirement a year later. The official line was that there are 'too many referee's already licensed' which was clearly pulled out of the 'big bucket of bulls**t excuses' (available from all irresponsible state athletic commissions for the bargain price of $39.99).

John is still not licensed there to my knowledge, but I don't think he's applied again this year. He is licensed in other states, and has refereed UFC fights as recently as UFC 121 and the last UFC on Versus, both of which took place in Cali.

There is/was beef between him and Dana - now, Dana can veto an official if he has good reason - however with the beef that existed, the decision was made to simply not throw Big John's name into the hat for UFC cards until recently.

The short answer is no, as John was employed by the State Athletic Commissions in recent years (back in the day, before state regulation he and his wife were employees of the promotion) so Dana couldn't fire him.

The long answer is that John 'retired' from reffing a couple of years back to take a job with The Fight Network. During this time he made some...interesting comments about certain state athletic commissions, their policies and employees, specifically Nevada.

This basically led to Nevada not licensing him when he came out of retirement a year later. The official line was that there are 'too many referee's already licensed' which was clearly pulled out of the 'big bucket of bulls**t excuses' (available from all irresponsible state athletic commissions for the bargain price of $39.99).

John is still not licensed there to my knowledge, but I don't think he's applied again this year. He is licensed in other states, and has refereed UFC fights as recently as UFC 121 and the last UFC on Versus, both of which took place in Cali.

There is/was beef between him and Dana - now, Dana can veto an official if he has good reason - however with the beef that existed, the decision was made to simply not throw Big John's name into the hat for UFC cards until recently.

What's the beef, if you know what it is? He's...man. He's the iconic UFC guy for me. Maybe second behind Royce Gracie, and Tank Abbott prolly is third. I guess I'll put Couture as 4th, mainly because I don't remember his early years :p

What's the beef, if you know what it is? He's...man. He's the iconic UFC guy for me. Maybe second behind Royce Gracie, and Tank Abbott prolly is third. I guess I'll put Couture as 4th, mainly because I don't remember his early years :p

Just stuff that John said about Dana when he was working for The Fight Network (nothing crazy - but you know how Dana is)...I believe he publicly sided with Mark Cuban in the whole Cuban/Couture vs UFC contract issue when they were trying to put together Randy vs Fedor on HDNet as well.

Also there is the fact that John worked for Affliction as an on-air analyst when Affliction were 'the enemy'.

I guess it's water under the bridge now though, as he's 'back' as it were.

I den't think big John is that good of a ref anyway. If there ws the ref that actually had the fighters stand up too many times, it wsa him. He's the only ref I know that's like that. Most other refs wait too long.

here's the thing, though. Waiting too long doesn'tg really change the course of the fight. But if someone is the mddle of getting a better position, and you stand them up, you can potentially cost them that fight. That's why I don't like him.

So Kid and Omigawa have been officially signed and Omigawa's fighting Mendes, probably the top wrestler at 145, which is a rough fight for him but he's a real good grappler so it's going to be interesting.

Meanwhile if Kid knows what's good for him he'll drop to 135 but unless getting to the UFC lights a fire under his ass like it did for Gomi he probably won't do tremendously well.

I wish the they'd sign the winner of Sandro - Hioki. Sandro's pretty well rounded and hits like a truck. Hioki is a mega slick grappler with a pretty nasty guard.

Also they should sign the loser of Sandro - Hioki. I said it before but this fight is essentially for the spot of top featherweight outside the UFC and honestly probably the #2 featherweight period.

I'm not sure on Hioki's management, they could be competent like J-Rock or they could be bloodsucking incompetent yes-men like almost every other management company. After Pride died UFC tried to sign Kawajiri but his dumbass management screwed that up.

Soooo, K-1 WGP finals tomorrow/late tonight (time zone dependant). Who've you guys got winning? I've got to take A-O over Schilt in the final... they're in a class of their own this year.

Aerts, Schilt, Overeem and Saki get through to the semis. The only one I have trouble picking here is Ghita/Saki since they're both very good and Ghita's apparently fighting with an injury but I think Saki's speed and insane combinations are going to do a number on Ghita en route to a decision. Expect a hell of a fight.

Schilt beats old man Aerts. Overeem knocks out a beat up Saki. If it's Ghita rather than Saki I'd probably pick him over Overeem but as it is Saki's a bit too small and a bit too wild.

Schilt beats Overeem. I wouldn't discount a big bomb landing early but Alistair's turtling defense really isn't ideal against Schilt and if you let him get his range and rhythm down he -will- beat you.

So yeah. Schilt. Probably not on record time this year since Kyotaro will run away the entire fight but still in an impressive fashion.

As much as I dislike Hari if he and Remy were in this tournament instead of MIGHTY MO and Aerts it'd be a whole lot more interesting in the quarters and semis.

Gerges wins his fight over a retiree, Texiera beats Zimmerman.

Aerts, Schilt, Overeem and Saki get through to the semis. The only one I have trouble picking here is Ghita/Saki since they're both very good and Ghita's apparently fighting with an injury but I think Saki's speed and insane combinations are going to do a number on Ghita en route to a decision. Expect a hell of a fight.

Schilt beats old man Aerts. Overeem knocks out a beat up Saki. If it's Ghita rather than Saki I'd probably pick him over Overeem but as it is Saki's a bit too small and a bit too wild.

Schilt beats Overeem. I wouldn't discount a big bomb landing early but Alistair's turtling defense really isn't ideal against Schilt and if you let him get his range and rhythm down he -will- beat you.

So yeah. Schilt. Probably not on record time this year since Kyotaro will run away the entire fight but still in an impressive fashion.

As much as I dislike Hari if he and Remy were in this tournament instead of MIGHTY MO and Aerts it'd be a whole lot more interesting in the quarters and semis.

Agree with all of this, except I see Reem beating Saki or Ghita. Is there any more to the rumors that Saki is going to pursue MMA full time after this?

What he said.

I was wincing all the way through that.

*SPOILER BELOW*

Saki's movement will be gone after that murdering. Reem had me worried in the first round but he came on strong and he's realll good at hitting stationary targets. Aerts looks good and Schilt just looked frustrated with Kyotaro's incessant running away. I've still got and Schilt-Overeem final. Not so sure that Ally will win now though.

EDIT: That showing by Yusuke was probably the least impressive combat sports performance I've seen all year. EVEN worse that Audley Harrison. No shock he's retiring.