The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Daffanka" data-cite="Daffanka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This isn't really all that different from Joe Silva's UFC booking. If you have a contingent of fighters and you put the winners against the winners you're inevitably going to end up with some kind of grand prix structure, though in the UFC's case they were smart enough not to announce any match ups beforehand.<p> </p><p> </p><p> </p><p> He was outboxed by the eighth wonder of the world. Part of that is due to how terrified he is of getting hit post-KO losses and he can be an effective striker against lower level fighters because he hits -hard- but anyone with decent punching technique takes him to school.</p><p> </p><p> I'm actually kind of excited about his fight with Sergei. Sergei got knocked out by Heart Jaideep's awful awful boxing technique so he's clearly no longer indestructible. It's kind of a fight to see whose career is at all salvageable.</p></div></blockquote><p> If you look at Andrei Arlovski's record, most of losses are KO's or TKO's. He doesn't have a great chin. But that being said, I agree with your statement. His losses from KO's (and not TKO's) coming from fighters with decenint punching technique. </p><p> </p><p> By the way, wasn't Sergei's loss in K-1? I'm not sure how much that counts or doesn't count. I literally mean that... how much does his K-1 Kickboxing record count for MMA? His record still looks pretty good, though.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> By the way, wasn't Sergei's loss in K-1? I'm not sure how much that counts or doesn't count. I literally mean that... how much does his K-1 Kickboxing record count for MMA? His record still looks pretty good, though.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It was in K-1, but it was against a bumbling fool. Imagine a shorter Schilt who's even more awkward and has never ever hurt anyone with his punches. Sergei Kharitonov, formerly The Man of Iron, was knocked out by them. It was bad.</p><p> </p><p> Other than that his record isn't too bad. Losing to Ghita is no shame and beating up a Japanese journeyman is a time tested way of gaining fighting experience.</p><p> </p><p> Sergei's only real MMA wins are Werdum while he was still undefeated, in a fight featuring said fighter trying to pull side control, and Rizzo. Overeem was on that big losing streak when they fought the second time and he wasn't that good in Pride due to several reasons. Murilo is a middleweight who got brain damage from the beating he took.</p>

<p>Unfortunately I see the tournament as more of a casket making process for Strikeforce rather than a huge jump in popularity. I posted before all the things that made 2010 a bad/dissapointing year for Strikeforce and this doesn't seem like the right way to start 2011. Is it that hard to just book solid fights people want to see? With Overeem's contract not lasting the whole thing, Barnett not even being licensed, and Fedors inactivity/contract, plus the uncertainty of tournament format as a whole, this is just ridiculous.</p><p> </p><p>

But then again I'm sure Coker will prove us all wrong, remember how awesome that Middleweight tournament was in 2010?</p>

<p>Guys, I'm not convinced this will work, but look at the pub this is getting. This is probably the biggest mma news story of the young new year. Just booking these fights and not calling it a tournament like the ufc does is safer, but the reward is less too. The tournament is a marketing tool that is appealing to the non hardcore fans. If it goes of smoothly it will be the biggest tournament in recent memory in a sport practically built on them. There is a lot of upside to this but I agree I'm sceptical about if it will happen.</p><p> </p><p>

I'm afraid fedor wins his first fight then holds out again, or barnet doesn't get cleared. Injuries worry me a little less only because they're starting this so early in the year there will time to heal and still complete it vy new year 2011. </p><p> </p><p>

I'm hopeful this works; I think something of this magnitude is what it would take to revive the cbs deal and keep them nationally relevant instead of slipping back to regional levels.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="EddieFnG" data-cite="EddieFnG" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Actually, there's 2 fights with replacements, Shane Del Rosario against Lavar Johnson, and unofficial but I think Overeem Sr. vs Sefo is one as well.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's how I understood it.</p>

My concern is somehow Barnett gets cleared, but then fails another drug test.

That would be both very possible and very hilarious.

As for Fedor, why is he holding out on them? He needs them more than they need him right now. They given more to him, then he has given to SF.

Fedor isn't, his management are the hold up. Even with Fedor as 'damaged goods' after his loss, they are squeezing everyone involved for every last penny and every last ounce of leverage; they always have (even before they were managing Fedor) and they always will. That's just the kind of people they are.

There is a very complicated and shady dance going on at the moment between Fedor's management (M-1 Global), Showtime and Strikeforce. Nothing is 'on record' at the moment, but it's all very sly and very shady and it'll more than likely come out some way into the year.

Actually, there's 2 fights with replacements, Shane Del Rosario against Lavar Johnson, and unofficial but I think Overeem Sr. vs Sefo is one as well.

I have minor beef with the reserve bouts, if only because you've got two decent heavyweight prospects going head to head in johnson and del rosario, and then a part k-1 fighter versus a journeyman in sefo vsm otherreem. I would have done johnson vs otherreem and del rosario versus sefo to give both prospects a chance to shine. If they both win and aren't needed as replacements in the tournament you a really nice challengers headliner or big show undercard fight.

Well if all goes well we will get to see Overeem fight three times against legitimate MMA competitors this year. He has the body of a gorilla and some of, if not the best, pure striking for a HW. I know he has obviously lost in the past but with the current state I think he gives the best a run for their money and destroys the rest.

I have a feeling he will end up being the new Fedor in that he will become the best HW outside of the UFC and not actually fight for them. He does not need their money and probably does not care about the "competition" aspect if he beats Fedor. After watching him at Dynamite!! he seems to have fully boughten into the "3 World HW titles" despite two of them meaning crap. If he gets through this Strikeforce tournament and keeps winning it will be hard to argue against him.

Overeem's by far the guy with the biggest firepower at heavyweight, not just in terms on stand up but he's got mean ground and pound, real good clinch wrestling and a nasty guillotine.

That's sort of where the party ends though. Defensively he's shaky and he doesn't have the type of chin to take heavyweight punches readily.

If the tournament happens the only guy who's going to be remotely threatening is Fedor. If Werdum can't get a clinch trip he's awful and since I'm assuming Barnett's the guy to make it to the finals, well, Overeem is going to hurt him bad. Fedor hits hard and punches fast even if his stance and strikes are wacky so that could spoil the party.

Right, I'm not saying he's "there" right now, but lets say he beats Werdum/Fedor/Barnett (just theory on the brackets and I can see him beating them) how can his stock NOT rise to the best outside outside the UFC and have people clamoring for him to fight there?

BTW, for those that follow Japanese MMA (Daffanka) as we kind of got off Dynamite quickly WTF is with Nagashima dressing like Sailor Moon? I never followed him or really knew of him as I don't follow Japan or K-1 super close. However I was glad he made a fool out of Aoki who I despise and despise more after he made a joke of round 1.

BTW, for those that follow Japanese MMA (Daffanka) as we kind of got off Dynamite quickly WTF is with Nagashima dressing like Sailor Moon? However I was glad he made a fool out of Aoki who I despise and despise more after he made a joke of round 1.

He's a 'cosplayer'. It's a Japanese fad whereby people make highly detailed costumes of Anime, Manga or video game characters, then go out dressed as them. I used to work with a guy who did it. Strange individual.

Gotta give it to Nagashima though - he's got balls to do it so openly in such a 'macho' sport.

BTW, for those that follow Japanese MMA (Daffanka) as we kind of got off Dynamite quickly WTF is with Nagashima dressing like Sailor Moon? However I was glad he made a fool out of Aoki who I despise and despise more after he made a joke of round 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosplay

Its called Cosplay (short for Costume Play) and Nagashima is "into it". He always comes out like that for fights. Just part of entertaining the fans.

Yeah well I saw the "hype video" before the fight obviously and was like okay he's screwing around, then all the chicks came out (with no rhythm) and I'm like yeah yeah its Japanese culture, then he actually came out dressed like an anime chick and I'm like ummm.... WTF? I know anime is big but why a chick? Dress up as Cloud like the rest of us. At least he backs it up and stuff, it would be worse if it was some loser just trying to get attention. I like watching the Japanese events when they're on HDNET for those type of cultural differences as I love the way they make the events seem so much more traditional and important but that just caught me way off guard.

edit: Gegards K-1 rules fight was also alot better than I thought it would be. Bet Kyotaro thought it would be an easy exhibition match. Do any of you guys know where I can stream good quality K-1 fights? I'm going to go search after I post this but figured you might know better than me. I've only watched a few online before and just read results usually to try and stay up to it but I want to see how Kyotaro did against Schilt being that much smaller.

Yeah well I saw the "hype video" before the fight obviously and was like okay he's screwing around, then all the chicks came out (with no rhythm) and I'm like yeah yeah its Japanese culture, then he actually came out dressed like an anime chick and I'm like ummm.... WTF? I know anime is big but why a chick? Dress up as Cloud like the rest of us. At least he backs it up and stuff, it would be worse if it was some loser just trying to get attention. I like watching the Japanese events when they're on HDNET for those type of cultural differences as I love the way they make the events seem so much more traditional and important but that just caught me way off guard.

One of the awesome things about about Japanese MMA and combat sports in general is that entertainment aspect. They manage to make things serious and fun at the same time.

If you've never seen them, look up some of Genki Sudo's entrances. Epic.

edit: Gegards K-1 rules fight was also alot better than I thought it would be. Bet Kyotaro thought it would be an easy exhibition match. Do any of you guys know where I can stream good quality K-1 fights? I'm going to go search after I post this but figured you might know better than me. I've only watched a few online before and just read results usually to try and stay up to it but I want to see how Kyotaro did against Schilt being that much smaller.

Living in Sweden I don't get HD Net but there's a regular stream I use that I can PM you an invite to. That's the one thing good about being a European MMA fan, having breakfast while watching Japanese combat sports.

Also the fight went essentially as you'd think, Schilt beating up him up while Kyotaro ran away.

e: The Aoki - Nagashima fight was the greatest freakshow fight of all time. Anime fan vs. bipolar grumpy geek, K-1 round featuring koppo kicks and drop kicks just for the MMA round to end 4 seconds in with a knee.

One of the awesome things about about Japanese MMA and combat sports in general is that entertainment aspect. They manage to make things serious and fun at the same time.

If you've never seen them, look up some of Genki Sudo's entrances. Epic.

You haven't seen outlandish entrances until you have seen some Genki Sudo.

HD Net has made me a big fan of K1. Its really too bad they are having financial issues at this point, because they put on some great fights.

I wish we had HD Net in the UK. We get UFC and Strikeforce (at seemingly random times for the latter) and some UCMMA. We also get an old ocassional Cage Rage show but no Bellator, no Japanese stuff. I wish we had more.

HD Net has made me a big fan of K1. Its really too bad they are having financial issues at this point, because they put on some great fights.

If you like what you see with K-1, try and check out 'It's Showtime!' - There basically Europe's answer to K-1 - a long time MMA/Kickboxing promoter. They put on some great cards with some of the top kickboxing talent in the world; many of K-1's famous faces have, or still do fight for them.

They put all their shows on webPPV, somewhere in the region of $10 a pop. They're also planning on making their US debut this year, as well as visiting the UK. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on HDNet if they manage to pull it off.

I wish we had HD Net in the UK. We get UFC and Strikeforce (at seemingly random times for the latter) and some UCMMA. We also get an old ocassional Cage Rage show but no Bellator, no Japanese stuff. I wish we had more.

Not that I ever watch it on Bravo (as you say, they shows are never on live, if they're even on at all) but we can probably kiss Strikeforce goodbye now that Bravo is going (gone?). I can't see Sky picking it up to be honest, unless they were getting decent ratings, which I doubt.

Hopefully they can do a deal with one of the smaller digital channels and get some live/next-day-delay thing going on.