The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Hey what's wrong with King of the Cage I helped out at two events! :p

Onto the night...

Won money on Guillard, glad he was listed as the underdog. I remember about a year ago doing predictions here someone jumped on me for talking about its either time for him to rise up and not be a prospect and since then he's torn it up. I think he is one of the most naturally gifted athletic/potential guys out there and it looks like being at Greg Jackson's has given him the discipline he needed. Didn't really like his post fight ego though as I thought he lost that but baby steps. Too bad Miller is already booked because Guillard vs. Miller would be a nice ladder match.

Barry was unimpressive and we'll see how he does in the future. The biggest thing like BH just said is he really should have first rounded him if Barry is to be taken seriously. Leg kicks were awesome but otherwise not much there.

Hominick looked good of course so hopefully the Aldo fight turns into a back and forth war which always makes title fights more interesting when they're not one sided.

Thoughts on Franklin/Grififin. I totally understand why Franklin is the favorite. Griffin is a product of the UFC hype machine, not that he's awful, but being a poster boy for the company helps a lot and he has made his name and career out of "being the guy with lots of heart that won TUF 1" rather than a dangerous fighter. I think they are both very similar which could make for a good close fight.

He has been far far from Stellar in his recent performances just actually look at them, I won't go too far back. He beat Shogun who was not recovered and totally unprepared, a win is a win yes, but it wasn't the truest Shogun test many thought it would it be or was at the time. Then the ever argued Rampage decision which he won via leg kicks. Once again a win is a win but it was far from stellar/dominating. Loses to Rashad, embarrassed by Silva, then a split decision over the old and "my back hurts" Ortiz. Now really, how is any of that impressive? He has a lot of heart and is a "fighter" but that only gets you so far as he is discovering and add on injuries and there you go. I don't think he will ever be 205 champ again and cannot consistently fight the best guys.

Franklin on the other hand isn't stellar or dominating either I'll admit, but he has been more active and looked better against his competition. Yes Belfort KO'd him but thats his only real bad loss. Needless to say I won't be betting on the fight.

Actually, if you read my statement, I think Forrest should and will take it, but no one should be surprised if he messes up. There are fights where should have the wiped the floor, but his ass gets kicked.

lol I know, I was replying as much to the other statements as yours but didn't feel like quoting the bigger ones :p

Pat Barry is an awful MMA fighter, and anyone that buys into Joe Rogan's "He's a K-1 level striker" hype has never seen Pat Barry in a K-1 fight. Barry never beat ANYONE in K-1. He's great at what he does, but he really, really should have been 1st rounding a King of the Cage special like Joey Beltran.

I agree with you, but that wasn't my point. I should have elaborated.. my point is, Barry was afraid of hurting himself through punching and kicking too hard.

lol I know, I was replying as much to the other statements as yours but didn't feel like quoting the bigger ones :p

The thing is, Rich Franklin is a much smarter fighter. That helps a lot in close fights (like this) in his favor. Skillwise, I think Franklin is better, but Griffin's not that far off, in my opinion, from him... but he's a lot bigger. Franklin and Grrifn are always the generation after Ken Shamrock/Frank Shamrock/Bas Rutten. It's not surprising Franklin and Griffin are not at the top anymore.

Ricco Rodriguez and James McSweeney are set to fight on the undercard, presumably co-main BAMMA 5.. I'm a fan of McSweeney, and definitely more swayed now to buying tickets

Some good looking undercard fights as well! Cook vs Maguire and Thomas vs Wenn should be fun. Hopefully they'll pull some of the other...I don't want to say 'big', but 'name' fighters they've been working on out of the bag.

So Diaz is fighting Cyborg in three days and literally no one cares.

Partly because it's a fight Cyborg has no chance winning and partly because Strikeforce just can't be bothered to market their champ in a fight he's almost sure to look impressive in.

Furthermore, they have the world's best grappler under their banner with the most famous name in MMA. And Herschel Walker. And also they have a middleweight title fight. But no one's gonna care about any of that, right?

e: This quote rules.

So Diaz is fighting Cyborg in three days and literally no one cares.

Partly because it's a fight Cyborg has no chance winning and partly because Strikeforce just can't be bothered to market their champ in a fight he's almost sure to look impressive in.

There's more to it than that. Strikeforce don't want to get behind Diaz as a champion. There is a real fear that he will A) Run off to do a boxing match because his contract isn't 100% exclusive, B) use his leverage to turn down high profile fights consistently or C) do a 'Jake Shields' and jump ship at the end of his contract regardless of what they offer him.

Add to this that he is already damaged goods; Showtime are apparently very upset that it is Diaz who is in the middle of the infamous CBS brawl with his fist ****ed (and CBS flat out want nothing to do with him, from what I've heard) and his ongoing drug issues...it's just not a guy that you want to allocate the marketing budget to when you have a huge HW tourney coming up.

Talked about this on my radio show today as it happens.... :D

http://mmabayradio.podomatic.com/entry/2011-01-26T12_00_12-08_00

(probably not safe for work, I swear without realising! Oh and forgive the crappy production values...equipment issues!)

I think a major part of the lack of interest I am seeing on different forums and event MMA news sites (I go to MMAJunkie, MMAWeekly, then Sherdog in that respective order) is because of the lack of the consistency. Strikeforce averages what, a major event every 3 months at best? Kinda hard to keep up on that. Especially when your "mainstream" guys aren't mainstreaming events. I don't get Showtime anymore but I'll still watch the fights I want online. The not getting behind Diaz is totally understandable but I don't think Santos is a legit route either to get behind as he isn't known to the common MMA fan and if he is its because of his wife. Lawler seems like a good guy to get behind so I'm betting they hope he wins.

In a somewhat related topic regarding Diaz, I remember awhile ago CSAC was looking into bannign Marijuana. This would be a major blow to Diaz as it seems that is one of the reasons he has stayed with Strikeforce instead of the UFC as many of SF's events are in California allowing him to smoke without care. I posted before that I'm a Diaz brothers fan though and it will take alot for me not to like them. I thought MMA Junkie's article covering Diaz's interview was very unprofessional as it constantly ripped him and came off more as a blog more so than a legit MMA news site. Was Diaz unprofessional in his conference call? Yes, but he's the "immature fighter" and you are supposed to be better than that.

in a quick run down...

Diaz vs. Santos= Probably a stand up war, Diaz has the ego not to work his jits effective and while I think he can out counter strike him him darting in and out I dont think he has the power. Ideally they stand for the first two with Diaz working the jab and winning a few exchanges but staying out of reach and the clinch but come round three takes him down and work for the sub. that would be my approach but we'll see.

Lawler vs. Jacare= I actually think Lawler will KO him. Jacare could control him on the ground but its just my feeling.

Walker vs. Who Cares= I'm actually glad about Walker, I wasn't at first but he brings alot of attention and has always been known as a legit athlete so its better than a washed up random football player.

Gracie vs. Prangley= This fight actually interets me alot. The new generation of Gracie's have not done anything spectactular in MMA but Roger is still young and has been working at it. I watched Prangley's fight online before his Jardine fight so I want to see if he is legit or gets tapped quick.

Then unfortunatley nothing interests me on prelims.

I think the problem with SOME (certainly not all) of the Gracies is a couple of them think they can just last in the big leagues with JUST their BJJ. Uh, no, this isn't the late 90's anymore, anyone at the top has SOME submission grappling and/or grappling training. On top of that, if they can't take the guy down, these fighter will light them up standing.

I don't think Roger Gracie is like that, but it makes me wonder how is striking is going... and more important, how is his wrestling coming along.

As for Jacare, Here's the thing. He might get KO'ed. He only has two losses so far, but both are KO's (and not just TKOs, mind you). If Lawler connects, there's a good chance Jacare is going down. However, his other test is his wrestling... can he take Robbie down somehow? Can he push Robbie Lawler against the cage and hold him there?

On a related note, I think this is why Jacare is doing relatively well in MMA... he's not haughty about his BJJ.

There's more to it than that. Strikeforce don't want to get behind Diaz as a champion. There is a real fear that he will A) Run off to do a boxing match because his contract isn't 100% exclusive, B) use his leverage to turn down high profile fights consistently or C) do a 'Jake Shields' and jump ship at the end of his contract regardless of what they offer him.

Add to this that he is already damaged goods; Showtime are apparently very upset that it is Diaz who is in the middle of the infamous CBS brawl with his fist ****ed (and CBS flat out want nothing to do with him, from what I've heard) and his ongoing drug issues...it's just not a guy that you want to allocate the marketing budget to when you have a huge HW tourney coming up.

Talked about this on my radio show today as it happens.... :D

http://mmabayradio.podomatic.com/entry/2011-01-26T12_00_12-08_00

(probably not safe for work, I swear without realising! Oh and forgive the crappy production values...equipment issues!)

I would've thought the entirety of Strikeforce was toxic to CBS after that show. And either way they also have their middleweight champion - a guy fiercely loyal to them and a very, very good fighter - fighting on the card against a sort of known commodity. And Herschel Walker. I just think they've dropped the ball on this one.

Jacare is legitimately a world class grappler, a terrific athlete and someone who's even kind of learned how to box. His chin's shaky but barring some sort of wacky slip I think he'll take Lawler down and tap him in the first round.

Note: Being a Ronaldo Souza superfan has nothing to do with this analysis.

I actually think Jacare should win... but his chin is the x-factor here. I don't think it's bad... I mean, the Mousasi upkick was devastating, so... I think he just caught.

Watch his fight with Macaco, who hits like a little girl and caught Jacare with a tiny weeny punch but still knocked him out.

Watch his fight with Macaco, who hits like a little girl and caught Jacare with a tiny weeny punch but still knocked him out.

Wasn't that his first fight, though? I recall Marcelo Garcia also losing their debut. If you watched Mousasi's upkick in slow motion, you'll realize how devasting it was.

BAMMA have announced a TV deal with SyFy (UK) to air all 5 of their planned 2011 arena shows, starting with BAMMA 5: Daley vs Shirai

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2011/01/27/bamma-announce-uk-television-deal-for-2011-starting-with-daley-vs-shirai-on-february-26th/

Will they have a zombie come out to fight to please syfy? Guessing this wont be aired on syfy in america?

I dunno, they all have the same owners and what not, rights just get spread everywhere. The only reason SyFy UK and USA (And South America) have the same programming are because it's a themed channel, where as you got channels like Bravo and **** that show completely different shows from their counterparts.

I'm mildly interested in this Strikeforce show, if only because they've got two non squash matches. The outcome has been obvious on the majority of the last couple fo shows, and Diaz and Walker are foregone conclusions. Other than just enjoying the way Diaz fights, those two fights barely interest me at all.

The other two matches I think are pretty solid matchmaking though. Jacare vs. lawler is an interesting striker versus grappler, and there are several things I'm curious about. Can Lawler swarm Jacare and put his lights out quickly? Has Jacare's standup improved enough to avoid getting blitzed by Lawler? Can Jacare put Lawler on his back? Can lawler survive submissions and escape to his feet? I'm torn on a prediction here, but if I'm forced I guess I'll go with Jacare by decision. I think either way Jacare will come out aggressive and get the fight to the ground; just not sure if lawler will rebound.

The other main card fight is interesting to me too, given that Roger Gracie is by far the most interesting of the new generation of Gracie's and really the only one with any chance to make a splash in MMA any time soon. He's athletic and I don't see Prangley knocking him out, but Prangley is a good wrestler who really excels at grinding out wins and nullifying another guy's offense. I think Gracie is more athletic and will probably be too much for Prangley, but it will be interesting to see if his wrestling is enough to stifle Gracie.

Reading some rumors that the financial problems of FEG are coming to a head and the ghosts of the demise of Pride are combing with that to quite possibly kill the organization. DREAM could be done and K1 even could be in trouble. Rumors have been circulating for ahwile, but it sounds its getting bad.

Reading some rumors that the financial problems of FEG are coming to a head and the ghosts of the demise of Pride are combing with that to quite possibly kill the organization. DREAM could be done and K1 even could be in trouble. Rumors have been circulating for ahwile, but it sounds its getting bad.

Basically FEG are in a massive amount of debt to Real Entertainment, the people that co-produced Pride and jumped into bed with FEG to produce Dream.

'K-1' the brand wont go away - it means to much and has the kind of history behind it that will always make somebody money, the question is who? The 'K-1' brand is currently owned by Kazuyoshi Ishii (the 'Godfather' of K-1). Now, there was this supposed deal in place with a Chinese capitol company at the turn of the year - the rumour as to why this collapsed is that they wanted to do some corporate restructuring (read - get rid of Ishii), which is normal when a venture capitol company puts money into a failing organisation, but FEG (Ishii) resisted.

So in essence K-1, or more specifically FEG, will have to die before K-1 can be reborn. Where that leaves Dream, I don't know - but you can bet it won't be a priority.

...and then we were thrown the curve ball. Strikeforce are *possibly* going to Japan in April. Say WHAT? They're talking about teaming up with Real Entertainment to take some of the HWGP fights to the Far East, and additionally holding a LWGP in the summer.

So you have Showtime footing the bill for Barnett, Overeem and co's purses (something FEG can't afford to do) and Real Entertainment footing the bill for running the show (something Strikeforce, or any other US promoter can't just walk into Japan and do).

Strikeforce takes their fee from Showtime and ad revenue (oh, and *CYNIC ALERT* doesn't have to get Barnett and Reem tested! :-o ), Real Entertainment makes money on the gate and via sponsorships etc...this could actually work. It's not digging Japanese MMA out of the hole it's in, but who knows, it might be a stay of execution...

Got an article coming out on Sunday looking at the whole shebang, I'll link it here if anyone's interested.

Basically FEG are in a massive amount of debt to Real Entertainment, the people that co-produced Pride and jumped into bed with FEG to produce Dream.

'K-1' the brand wont go away - it means to much and has the kind of history behind it that will always make somebody money, the question is who? The 'K-1' brand is currently owned by Kazuyoshi Ishii (the 'Godfather' of K-1). Now, there was this supposed deal in place with a Chinese capitol company at the turn of the year - the rumour as to why this collapsed is that they wanted to do some corporate restructuring (read - get rid of Ishii), which is normal when a venture capitol company puts money into a failing organisation, but FEG (Ishii) resisted.

So in essence K-1, or more specifically FEG, will have to die before K-1 can be reborn. Where that leaves Dream, I don't know - but you can bet it won't be a priority.

...and then we were thrown the curve ball. Strikeforce are *possibly* going to Japan in April. Say WHAT? They're talking about teaming up with Real Entertainment to take some of the HWGP fights to the Far East, and additionally holding a LWGP in the summer.

So you have Showtime footing the bill for Barnett, Overeem and co's purses (something FEG can't afford to do) and Real Entertainment footing the bill for running the show (something Strikeforce, or any other US promoter can't just walk into Japan and do).

Strikeforce takes their fee from Showtime and ad revenue (oh, and *CYNIC ALERT* doesn't have to get Barnett and Reem tested! :-o ), Real Entertainment makes money on the gate and via sponsorships etc...this could actually work. It's not digging Japanese MMA out of the hole it's in, but who knows, it might be a stay of execution...

Got an article coming out on Sunday looking at the whole shebang, I'll link it here if anyone's interested.

What site do ya work for? PM me if you don't feel like shilling. :p