The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

For the record Sadaharu Tanikawa, the president of FEG, really wants Ishii gone so he can try to restructure K-1.

I'm also not sure how well a Strikeforce co-promoted show will do in Japan. Even after winning the K-1 WGP Overeem's fight at Dynamite!! did a comparatively awful rating, neither Werdum nor Barnett have ever been big stars and Rogers is a complete unknown.

Presumably they'll put someone like Sakuraba, Ishii or... well one of those two on the card but I'm still not sure it'll draw particularly well. At least it means we get another DREAM show.

The heat has died down since and it probably wouldn't happen for April but I would not be surprised if Dream and Aoki pushed for a Melendez rematch on Japanese soil, that would be something they could market. I think Barnett would draw interest over there, especially if would come down to him in the final against Fedor or Overeem. He has fought there in the past, and recently, and of course his wrestling days on top of that.

So Sylvia lost to a guy who dropped out in the first round of TUF fights. By TKO within the first minute.

Jesus, Tim.

And didn't he look every one of those 311 pounds. He looks like a fat bloke with arthritis. Honestly I think I would fancy my chances with the guy now.

And didn't he look every one of those 311 pounds. He looks like a fat bloke with arthritis. Honestly I think I would fancy my chances with the guy now.

Throw a right hand and at the very least you'll hurt him.

The guy's been hit with big right hands early in so many fights and he never learns. Arlovski twice, Couture, Fedor, Mercer and now ABE WAGNER. Keep your hands up!

Who was Diaz yelling at after the fight? Whoever it was threw a lot of liquid at him.

I couldn't figure out what was going on there either. I hope Mayhem. But really it coulda been anybody.

edit: The comments in the link below have a picture that makes it look like a bunch of random fans, but other commenters say it was AKA guys. I dunno.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/1/29/1963913/nick-diaz-finishes-evangelista-cyborg-in-a-beautiful-brawl#comments

My guess was just fans since no one said anything. I thought at first it was Mrs. Cyborg, but then thought that was too dickish for him, then Miller, but too obvious for nothing being said, then since nothing has still been said its probably random since if it was a fighter they would be hyping/talking about it. He went over right away so I'm guessing he just heard an F You and went right after where it came from.

Good fight from Diaz, he is taking heat for Santos not being a legit contender (guess thats what happens when you are just above .500) but face is he beat the man in the cage with him and thats all you can ask. He outstruck a striker and despite the leg kicks Diaz seemed unaffected then showed how dangerous he is on the ground. If he fights Daley I think its more of the same with Diaz using his reach and jab or Diaz takes a smart/conservative approach and takes him down to submit him like fellow team mate Shields did.

edit: What actually impressed the most about Diaz was his cardio. Not only was he constantly moving and throwing strikes or avoiding them but he got the sub at the very end of the round after going at it for the 4:30 before it but could still pull it off.

Honestly I think Daley's someone who'll smash Diaz. Nick has a rock solid chin and crazy recovery speed but Daley's the kind of guy who hits insanely hard and can follow up with a killer flurry on the ground like Jeremy Jackson did.

I think Daley will crack him early and probably get the finish in the first two rounds. However, if he does get taken down Diaz will take the win. Don't see the fight going to the finish.

I'm actually shocked that you are impressed... not because it wsan't true, but he always had good cardio. If you hadn't known that before, you haven't been watching him enough. He and his brother do trialthlons, so it's not so surprising at all.

Ihave followed them and always support them here before fights. I said Nate would win by triangle last time and he just fell short. Showing goodcardio in the past or talking about it doesn't mean anything if you don't execute on fight night but he did which is what matters.

It wasn't a revelation but around other forums ppl knock on his striking saying Santos is slow and not an elite striker and shrug off the sub saying once again because of Santos but nicks card is all on him and I am glad too see him perform well in an area that ppl cannot make excuses about. I don't thinks he's the #1 ww like he wants to be considered due to inconsistent comp but I don't see how some consider him a total slouch either.

I think Daley will crack him early and probably get the finish in the first two rounds. However, if he does get taken down Diaz will take the win. Don't see the fight going to the finish.

I can't see Diaz taking him down. They're both really shoddy wrestlers but Daley

can... sort of defend the takedown and he's not bad at snaking his way into half guard and holding on.

Also regarding the Diazes - both of them - I don't think either guy's bad but they're not outstanding either and it's pretty frustrating. Nick especially is quite gifted with his reach, chin and ability to mix it up but he's fighting in a division where the top guys are all superb wrestlers and he's never, ever worked on his wrestling giving the excuse that he won all those fights that he lost because he couldn't stay on his feet. Nate's the same way.

There's such a strange gap between the fighters at Cesar Gracie's. With the way they're training with Melendez day in and day out you'd think they'd pick up some of that wrestling through osmosis but no.

I don't really think their wrestling is as bad as everyone says (yes I know I'm a little bias :p , I think its more their personality and fighting styles so that they are not executing well.

- Motivation. Nick outright admits it. I think if you offer him $10 mill for fight he can compete with just about anyone. However the whole point of being a "fighter" is you should be motivated no matter what.

- Ego. Both of course like to slug it out instead of try for take downs so since they do not choose to wrestle alot it seems like they "don't know how to"

- Ego 2. Because of their submission game I don't think they fight wrestlers as hard/serious as they should. Look at how many triangle chokes Nate has in the UFC. I think they believe if they get taken down they are good enough to submit people ala what Nick just did. Santos took Nick down, does that mean Nick has bad take down defence? Or did he allow himself to be taken down so he could work the submission? The problem arises when they don't get the submission ala Nate vs. Kim.

-Bottom submission fighters. Kinda goes with the above but their submission wins come from the bottom where they are comfortable instead of trying to be on top like fellow Gracies Melendez and Shields.

Finally neither has been dominated by wrestlers recently as their rep suggests, instead they have submitted more of them consistently than they have lost. Nick's last meaningful loss was 06, Nate lost to Stevenson and Guida but has submitted others along the way. Yes his most recent was to the grappler Kim but he was constantly working submissions going to point 2. I know Nate just lost to Maynard which some may point to but in the actual fight wrestling ability played little factor, it was more Nate was afraid of Maynards take downs so he fought so conservatively. I think he was expecting Gray to come in so hard he wanted to catch him in a choke or make sure he ended up in guard instead of Gray ending up in half or side.

What I want to see is Nick go up against Fitch or a top grappler but of course instead of going to the UFC he would rather smoke weed and fight almost every fight in California or states that permit marijuana in fight tests. Otherwise I think his record speaks for itself in defeating strikers which is why I don't understand why people will think Daley will win easily. Daley is 5'9 to Nicks 6'1 (don't know their actual reaches) so I don't see Daley getting inside. Also his ground game is actually pretty bad when you watch his matches, both Shields and Kos embarrassed him on the ground and I see no reason why Nick can't work his jab, push forward, grapple against the fence, trip takedown and work a sub. If he stands right in front of Daley for three rounds sure Daley could win but if he plays it smart, on paper there's just no reason it shouldn't be an easy win.

Also Nick has never been KO'd and only suffered one TKO very early in his career. Compared to Daley's 5 of 9 losses came via submission, I'll take the sub over the KO.

I have to say this, but wreslers in MMA also train in BJJ. This makes it extremely difificult for non-wrestling BJJ fighters. Look what happened to Demian Maia against Anderson Silva. If Silva wasn't playing around, he would have been destroyed. '

This doesn't exactly apply to the Diaz brothers, but this part remains pretty true - if you are losing the stand up battle, and you can't take it the ground, your ground game isn't going to amount to much.

Well both guys look objectively awful anytime they try to either take someone down or stop themselves from being taken down by anyone half decent at rasslin. The line about bottom position grapplers doesn't fly when Kim is running roughshod all over Nate's guard. Who, incidentally, is the last good position grappler Nate's fought since his last loss. As was the case with the last one. And the one before that. And the one before that.

The same is true for Nick really, except his last loss came against Noons, whom he tried to repeatedly take down but couldn't despite KJ being a garbage wrestler. Discounting the Gomi fight the losses he had before that were against, you guessed it, top position grapplers who were better wrestlers than him (well except Sherk who just plain outboxed him.) And he hasn't fought anyone like that since his losses.

A fight with Daley wouldn't be an easy fight for either guy but Daley's really good at lining up huge power shots at guys stepping in - like Diaz - and finishing them on the ground. I'm not sure if he'd be able to walk through a million punches with his pretty crappy defense and honestly I'm not even sure he can really hurt Nick bad enough to put him away before gassing but it's a fight I'd definitely favor Daley in.

I really don't want Nick in the UFC. I like him where he is, having entertaining fights with mid level welterweights/lightweights who aren't interested in taking him down.

e: In hindsight this post sounds a lot more hostile than I intended. Sorry about that!