The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Yea, I still hate Bisping. Vitor is going to put him to sleep. I hope he elbow drops him like Hendo did. Great card minus Fukuda getting jobbed. Glad to see Hunto get a win, he's just fun to watch. I'd enjoy Hunt-Barry.

I wasn't mildly interested in Ebersole coming in but he won me over quick. Hope we don't have to wait for another Australian show to see him fight again.

Noke and Perosh suprised me with how good they looked. I figured Noke would squeek one out and Perosh would get whipped, but I was wrong on both. Glad Gustaffson survived the threats early, I really like him.

I had the main event a draw, but I could have seen the second round go to Fitch and not be upset. No way I could see Penn winning because I think round 3 had to be 10-8. It's been a while since I've thought an entire Fitch fight was fun. I love BJ and hope he wins the rematch, but I don't like his odds.

Good, exciting show all in all. I'm loving that we're routinely seeing most fights now. Putting two fights on facebook and three live fights on the lead-in is so great! For anybody that missed them, the two facebook fights are still on their page if you want to watch them over.

Fun show, that. Every fight had something interesting. I fell in love with Brian Ebersole. His ridiculous moves should had earned with a quick kicking, but the guy has some skill beneath the cartwheels. Dug him.

I cheered Bisping's illegal knee. Cheating? Yes. But he was the guy I was rooting for, so Yay. Everyone else watching hated ol' pillow-hands, so I was not the most popular guy in the room when I screamed "Knee him again!" shortly before the TKO.

I scored the main event 10-9 BJ, 10-9 Fitch, 10-8 Fitch. The draw saddens me, but I can kinda see how it's possible.

Yeah, I agree with most of this. It was a pretty good show from top to bottom and was something different compared to most recent UFC shows. Ebersole was awesome, really fun fighter who was entertaining as all hell. Bisping's illegal knee was weird but at least it was something different and it kind of made me wonder why shots like that are illegal when they would be so gosh darn effective. Main event results was disappointing, Fitch deserved the win quite clearly in my book. Not my favourite style of fighter but he was all over Penn.

Didn't mind seeing Siver win either since I don't really like Sotiropolous as being the guy UFC was trying to set up as their number 1 Australian fighter. Siver's balance was unbelievable.

Fitch on twitter saying the first round was a draw and he won the second and third. Such a douchebag. Part of me wants GSP to stay at 170 so he can demolish him again.

That, and if GSP leaves the division we're going to see Fitch as a champion in five round snoozers instead of three. Ugh.

Bisping's illegal knee was weird but at least it was something different and it kind of made me wonder why shots like that are illegal when they would be so gosh darn effective.

Gan McGee kneed Brad Gabriel half to death with them in 2000, a commission member was watching and promptly outlawed them.

That, and if GSP leaves the division we're going to see Fitch as a champion in five round snoozers instead of three. Ugh.

Fitch's last two fights have been fun and when matched up with competent opposition who don't desperately hold guard for fifteen minutes he'll have good fights. He's got the cardio to go 50 rounds and in the third round against BJ he beat him up really badly, threw over 100 strikes, and would've done exactly the same thing in the fourth and fifth if BJ didn't quit.

I'm starting to think this FITCH IS BORING meme is just a case of Pavlovian conditioning.

From Jorge Rivera's Wiki.

On February 27, 2011 at UFC 127 Jorge lost to Michael Bisping by way of TKO at 1:54 in the 2nd round.[6][7] Leading up to the fight against Bisping, Rivera made countless videos taunting and making fun of Bisping. During the fight, Bisping grabbed and held onto the fence, and delivered a brain rattling illegal knee, thus proving Rivera's point that Bisping is a cheating Brit bastard.

Bleh, good event. Enjoyed it. Fitch won but he's a mong so I'm happy with the result. Penn looked gutted because regardless of the official result he knew he lost and he's seemingly not good enough at 170 either.

Ebersole 4 lyf. Great entertainer. Had a sneaky suspicion Siver could do it, but as someone else said, really didn't expect Lytle to lose.

Except knees are devastating... too devastating, if you ask me. If you ever seen a knee in a clinch or even an Ubereem knee, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, I was mostly joking (mostly because there are times when I think a UFC match needs a few knees to the head to make things more interesting) but in general yeah, they are a bit much. I once kneed a guy in the head by accident while playing football and good lord did his face look a mess :(

Fitch's last two fights have been fun and when matched up with competent opposition who don't desperately hold guard for fifteen minutes he'll have good fights. He's got the cardio to go 50 rounds and in the third round against BJ he beat him up really badly, threw over 100 strikes, and would've done exactly the same thing in the fourth and fifth if BJ didn't quit.

I'm starting to think this FITCH IS BORING meme is just a case of Pavlovian conditioning.

Yea, No. His fights are hugfests. His fight with Pierce wasn't bad especially at the end, but his fight with Alves was beyond boring. Same with Thiago and Gono. The GSP fight too, although that had as much to do with him being completely overmatched as anything.

If you love positional dominance and have a boner for Fitch that's great. But his fights are usually sleepers. It's not a meme', just the truth.

Yea, No. His fights are hugfests. His fight with Pierce wasn't bad especially at the end, but his fight with Alves was beyond boring. Same with Thiago and Gono. The GSP fight too, although that had as much to do with him being completely overmatched as anything.

If you love positional dominance and have a boner for Fitch that's great. But his fights are usually sleepers. It's not a meme', just the truth.

Beating people up on the floor, repeatedly taking their backs, nearly finishing with submissions and outstriking them isn't what I'd call boring. His fight with Saunders was wretched but that was largely due to Saunders doing nothing but holding guard.

I like seeing very skilled fighters fight. Maybe that's my problem. :)

From Jorge Rivera's Wiki.

Bleh, good event. Enjoyed it. Fitch won but he's a mong so I'm happy with the result. Penn looked gutted because regardless of the official result he knew he lost and he's seemingly not good enough at 170 either.

Ebersole 4 lyf. Great entertainer. Had a sneaky suspicion Siver could do it, but as someone else said, really didn't expect Lytle to lose.

I bet Rivera did that edit himself.

Plus he's good, but not good enough for his own standards. He could beat most people in the division, but he took on the second best guy right off. If he doesn't beat Fitch in the rematch then maybe he'll quit or maybe he'll drop down again and wait for Edgar to lose lol.

It seems like if you really wanted to get back into the UFC you would atleast make weight for your fights while trying to rebuild your image. Paul Daley must think otherwise as he missed weight for his fight for the Deep welterweight title. Fight will go on as a non-title bout and he will prob. be docked 10% of his purse.

I do want to stick up for Paul a bit here. I literally haven't read a single bit of press about BAMMA 5 yet, so I don't know if people actually know what happened with regards to the weigh-ins yet.

I was at the hotel where the presser/weigh-ins was taking place from about 1pm on the Friday (weigh-ins were at 3, press conference at 4). At about 2pm, the sauna's were turned off. Not a problem for most guys on the card, as at that level your typical fighter isn't cutting a ton of weight. Daley and Ricco obviously both do massive cuts.

When the sauna's couldn't be turned back on (and there is some confusion as to why) BAMMA had to organise transport to another hotel who had agreed to let the fighters use their facilities. By the time they had got there and got into the sauna, they had 10-15 mins to cut weight; a significant reduction on the hour they thought they'd have. You can't really fault someone in those circumstances.

Ricco looked ill from the cut and didn't want to drop anymore weight. Daley (who was competing for the BAMMA title, not the DEEP belt) informed BAMMA before the weigh in that he would be 2lbs over. He only agreed to get on the scales at the 4pm weigh-in on the provision that it would not be his 'official' weigh in. He told them that given an hour in the sauna, he would make the weight no problem.

Obviously with the press being there, all the reports were that Daley had missed weight, which he was obviously not happy about. BAMMA didn't inform any of the press of the agreement. Daley was very angry and refused to do the press conference, which had been put back to 5:30. BAMMA eventually cancelled the whole thing.

I know Daley has missed weight waaaaay too many times, so I understand why people got on his back for this. This time though...I'd say not 100% his fault.

I've literally just got home from a long weekend of fights...will try and post some more interesting 'backstage' BAMMA notes later incase anyone is interested.

I was wondering... if Welterweight was at, let's say, 175, can he make that a lot easier? What about 185?

Even at 175 it's still a big cut for him. Paul is a short, but VERY stocky dude...I tower over him but he's twice as wide :-p He definitely has the thickness for 185, but he might be too short to compete with the 6-footers of that division.

Plus he's good, but not good enough for his own standards. He could beat most people in the division, but he took on the second best guy right off. If he doesn't beat Fitch in the rematch then maybe he'll quit or maybe he'll drop down again and wait for Edgar to lose lol.

Oh, I know. It's just if he wanted to be the second or third best in a division he could have stayed at LW.

As you say, not good enough by his own very high standards.

Even at 175 it's still a big cut for him. Paul is a short, but VERY stocky dude...I tower over him but he's twice as wide :-p He definitely has the thickness for 185, but he might be too short to compete with the 6-footers of that division.

What about 180? Edit: there's got to a weight he can make comfortably.

Too bad for Daley he can't make 170lbs. And by 'too bad' I mean tough ****. It's long since been time he should have either improved his weight cutting so he can make 170lbs or naturally bulked up so he can fight at 185lbs. Constantly failing to make weight, especially for a title fight that screws up an advertised main event, is just inexcusable. Either learn to properly cut weight, change your natural weight so you can make the cut, or take your chances at 185lbs. I really do not like Nick Diaz but I seriously want him to put a major hurting on Daley.

Obviously the higher you go, the easier it is to make the weight. But it's a moot point, the choices he has are 170 or 185. Like I said, Paul is a short, stocky dude; personally, I can't see him being tall enough for 185.

Again as I said before though - if there hadn't been a problem with the sauna's at the hotel, then we wouldn't be having this discussion now. Paul has a history of bad cuts...but it's not fair to lay the blame for last weekend on his shoulders. If he had the time in the sauna he'd been promised, he'd have made it.

Obviously the higher you go, the easier it is to make the weight. But it's a moot point, the choices he has are 170 or 185. Like I said, Paul is a short, stocky dude; personally, I can't see him being tall enough for 185.

Again as I said before though - if there hadn't been a problem with the sauna's at the hotel, then we wouldn't be having this discussion now. Paul has a history of bad cuts...but it's not fair to lay the blame for last weekend on his shoulders. If he had the time in the sauna he'd been promised, he'd have made it.

I know this might sound like a stupid question... but how and why did he gain so much muscle in the first place? Or is it something else?