The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I love every Faber fight and this one was no exception, but I get the feeling we were in the minority. Wineland fought a very safe fight instead of throwing bombs like most expected. Barboza / Njokuani was awesome. I was impressed with both guys but something about the way Barboza fought concerned me a little. He looked like the clearly better guy but he wouldn't really take the fight to Njokuani. Maybe it's because Njokuani had the faster hands and he didn't want to open up with punches for fear of a counter, but it seemed like we saw alot of Barboza winging single shot leg kicks instead of mixing it up. Seemed like he held back somewhat, although it could just be me not appreciating a good gameplan.

I think Wineland is smarter fighter than people give him credit for. He knows his biggest weakness is his ground game. I think he surprised Faber when he pushed Faber against the fence, though. Faber clearly didn't think Wineland was going to clinch-wrestle with him, and he was wrong. Wineland showed some good TDD and clinch-grappling, but when Faber got him to the ground... he was toast.

I've learned to tune out the commentators over the years (a godsend when watching K-1, shut up Schiavello) so I don't really have a problem with the lavish hype piled up on Jones or any fighter Rogan has trained with.

I just really want to see for how long he can improve. And for long he can keep winning until Stephan Bonnar knocks him out in the rematch with a 720 degree jumping spinning back kick because wacky things happen too often in MMA for it to be a sport.

Also had 128 up there as a really good card. No real outstanding fights but no bad ones either, everything ranged from very good (Jones/Shogun, Miller/Shalorus) to decent (Miller/Marquardt.)

e: And regardless of his personality outside of the cage (which I don't find quite as grating as most others) Jones is tremendously fun to watch fight.

Well, I'm going on a weekend-long gonzo journalism bender as of 9am Friday morning...erm, sorry, I mean...I'm going to professionally and soberly attend the UCMMA 19 weigh-ins, press conference and fights, so I'll drop my UFN picks before I go.

Davis over Lil' Nog. Argh, I hate picking against Rogerio. I think I picked him to beat Bader, but after seeing that fight and the Brilz fight, I don't know what he's going to have that will get him a W against Mr Wonderful. Davis by decision.

Johnson over Hardy. Again, a real 'ARGH' pick this one. I like Dan a lot. He's an awesome guy. I even put red highlights in my hair in support of him for this fight. I just get the feeling that Rumble is going to go back to his wrestling after Hardy finds his riddum' on the feet. Rumble by decision. Close decision.

Sadollah over Johnson, (T)KO, 2nd round. Meh fight.

Jung over Garcia. The Zombie apparently wont be using his Zombie style for this fight, which IMO is a good thing. If history has taught us anything it's that Garcia wins sloppy brawls on the scorecards by default. Jung by submission, 2nd round.

Bruce Leeroy, Madsen, Hathaway, McDonald, McCorckle, Hendricks, Simpson and Lentz on the most stacked UFN undercard ever.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to drink enough wine to wake up suitably hung-over, tired and angry enough to start my Ultimate Challenge weekend properly. I love my job.

I'm thinking second round sub for Big Sexy. I don't really know what all the fuss was about Morecraft.

Morecraft's more well rounded, even if McCorkle is better on the ground.

In any case, what do you think Anthony "Rumble" Johnson? Unlike Paul "Semtex", and Thiago "Pitbull" Alves, he looks really anorexic at 170. The dude just seems so sick-lookng at that weight, it's scary. Even MMA fans that normall push for more weight cutting look at him and say, "Dude, you cut too much weight".

Why's he fight at 170?

Jung over Garcia. The Zombie apparently wont be using his Zombie style for this fight, which IMO is a good thing. If history has taught us anything it's that Garcia wins sloppy brawls on the scorecards by default. Jung by submission, 2nd round.

Only fight I've seen of his is the Phan one...but on that basis, if he brawls sloppily it doesn't matter what the other guy does...

I'm thinking second round sub for Big Sexy. I don't really know what all the fuss was about Morecraft.

He's got pretty good wrestling and some power. I like him alot, and his fight with Struve is one of my favorites in recent memory. That said, I just find McCorkle irritating and would rather he lose. :)

Davis will win a close decision largely scoring on control which will turn a lot of people against him and more importantly slow down his career trajectory a whole lot and give him more time to develop. If he blows out Rogerio in two minutes it could be disastrous since he'll end up fighting top guys.

Hardy over Rumble by blah decision. Bad kickboxing.

Sadollah wins by something or the other.

Zombie beats Garcia by submission when he slings onto his back and chokes him out. Garcia hasn't won a fight since Pulver.

Undercard's kind of cool and five facebook fights is good. McDonald, Hathaway, McCorkle, Hendricks, Miranda are all going to win. Some other stuff is going to happen in the other fights.

Good tough matchup for Davis tonight. He had to find a way to win without being in his comfort zone. This can only show him how much work he still has left before he can be considered a top contender.

I think it's pertty clear what kind of wrestling is neeeded and what adaptations are necessary. First, having a lot of strength behind a takedown is a must. Second, the TD must be quick to surprise. And most importantly, TD's need to be set up. Against, high-level opponents, TD's without setups amount to the TD's getting stuffed.

Davis can definitely use more work, especially on his hands and the transition between striking and wrestling but I thought he looked really good against a dangerous, dangerous veteran with the trickiest guard at light heavyweight. An unconvincing decision really is the best way to go. Any less and his hype train goes down the drain, any more and he'll get pushed even further into fights he shouldn't take yet.

Hardy/Johnson blah.

Amir looked pretty good. I love his fighting style because it works in the face of utter disregard for wrestling. High peekaboo guard, liberal use of kicks and close up flurries. If he gets taken down he just uses underhook sweeps from half guard and triangles from guard.

ZOMBIE TWISTEEEEEEEEER

Davis can definitely use more work, especially on his hands and the transition between striking and wrestling but I thought he looked really good against a dangerous, dangerous veteran with the trickiest guard at light heavyweight. An unconvincing decision really is the best way to go. Any less and his hype train goes down the drain, any more and he'll get pushed even further into fights he shouldn't take yet.

Hardy/Johnson blah.

Amir looked pretty good. I love his fighting style because it works in the face of utter disregard for wrestling. High peekaboo guard, liberal use of kicks and close up flurries. If he gets taken down he just uses underhook sweeps from half guard and triangles from guard.

ZOMBIE TWISTEEEEEEEEER

I don't know. If Davis blew Minotouro of the water, then he was definitely ready for a higher level opponent. But he didn't. Which meant he wasn't ready. Doesn't matter either. He's get someone tougher than Rogerio next time anyway.

The only guy who's blown Minotoro out of the water was Sokoudjou and look what happened to him. I didn't like this fight from the start but an unconvincing decision for Davis is the best outcome for his career trajectory and hopefully he'll be put back on the grind for another year or two.

It was an OK show overall. I loved the Zombie win and Garcia is probably kicking himself for not holding on for one more second. Sadollah/Johnson was decent. Johnson/Hardy was just 'there'. I think Hardy gained more here than Johnson did, because Johnson was so much bigger and and more powerful than Hardy but couldn't finish him off. It makes Condit's win look even more impressive. Davis/Nogueira was so-so. Nog's takedown defence was really good and I think even in winning, Davis lost some of the lustre he had. Davis is good but he clearly has a way to go before his ability truly matches the buzz around him.

The only guy who's blown Minotoro out of the water was Sokoudjou and look what happened to him. I didn't like this fight from the start but an unconvincing decision for Davis is the best outcome for his career trajectory and hopefully he'll be put back on the grind for another year or two.

That was a freak win. It happens. But like I said, if Davis won convincinly, then he deserves the praise he got. He didn't.

It was an OK show overall. I loved the Zombie win and Garcia is probably kicking himself for not holding on for one more second. Sadollah/Johnson was decent. Johnson/Hardy was just 'there'. I think Hardy gained more here than Johnson did, because Johnson was so much bigger and and more powerful than Hardy but couldn't finish him off. It makes Condit's win look even more impressive. Davis/Nogueira was so-so. Nog's takedown defence was really good and I think even in winning, Davis lost some of the lustre he had. Davis is good but he clearly has a way to go before his ability truly matches the buzz around him.

I want to see Davis vs. Matyushenko (sic) or vs. Brillz now. I want to see how he does against opponents that are mid level fighters, but tough enough to be hard to roll them over.

I want to see Davis vs. Matyushenko (sic) or vs. Brillz now. I want to see how he does against opponents that are mid level fighters, but tough enough to be hard to roll them over.

Brilz would be a great fight for him. He doesn't have the accolades but definitely has translated wrestling to MMA well. I hope they give Davis another year to develop before really throwing him in the fire. He looked passable against Little Nog but he's going to have to learn to box and set up his takedowns before he really dominates in that division.

Brilz would be a great fight for him. He doesn't have the accolades but definitely has translated wrestling to MMA well. I hope they give Davis another year to develop before really throwing him in the fire. He looked passable against Little Nog but he's going to have to learn to box and set up his takedowns before he really dominates in that division.

Theoretically, Brilz is less athletic, less in-shape, slower, is worse in punching technique and hand speed, has less in everything in with his kicks.... and on paper, Davis should roll over Brilz easily. But Brilz has only finished once his career through sumbission, and has lost only twice against twice, once against Eliot Marshall in an Unaminous decision, and once against Lil' Nog in an Split Decision. He's never been TKO'ed, either. The fact that he was a bit better on the ground than Lil' Nog was impressed me. After Matyushenko vs. Brilz, I the winner of that will be a decent fight.