The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Stann looked surprisingly good against Leben and did very well against Santiago, but those guys aren't quite top-level, Sonnen is a big step up and will provide a better gauge of how far Stann has really progressed, but until then it's a huge stretch to claim or even infer he could give Silva any trouble.

Munoz has looked good against lower-tier talent and did shockingly well against Okami, but other than that, he hasn't shown me anything that suggests he is a top-level fighter and that's what it'll take to give Silva trouble much less beat the man.

Down the road, we might be able to say that Stann and Munoz could give Silva trouble, but on the evidence so far, such a statement is a huge stretch.

They don't really have to give him trouble as your original premise was more about how boring Silva fights.

Anderson has many fights where his opponents didn't give him trouble but people didn't complain about the outcome.

Munoz, like Leben, is not about bringing some top talent fight to Anderson. What Munoz brings is his style. Many say his wrestling hasn't translated well to MMA but his sub wrestling as proven against Maia is one of a kind. It's just not been revealed yet. (Kind of like Leben's wrestling and sub tenacity, people seem to downrate him there except Leben is more at fault for that.)

For me, Stann vs. Sonnen is a give me. I said it before and I'll say it again, people who come back from drug suspensions have a history of not doing too well. Even if Stann beats up Sonnen, it's not an indication against Anderson or even the Chael that gnped Silva. What I think Stann can bring is exactly what I said previously: Reverse Okami. A fight where you expect it to be more boring and then suddenly Stann fights closer to the expectations we have of Okami. Now that would be a satisfying fight regardless of how Anderson outclasses Stann.

UFC 137's FOTN has been scrapped as Sam Stout pulled out of his fight with Dennis Siver, imo Stout would have destroyed Siver but I'm a little bias (from same city as Stout). The reason is undisclosed but I think it's because Shawn Tompkins passing away that forced him to pull out of the fight as is a hard thing to deal with when a family member passes away all of the sudden, but hopefully he can fight at UFC 140.

Looks like Cerrone or Sherk could be filling it, which would make for an awesome fight either way.

I think the UFC wants either Sonnen or Stann next as they provide the most marketable fight by far. With Sonnen you get the epic trash talk. People either root for him or pay to see him get his butt kicked, it worked before. In Stann, you get an American war hero. If the fight is in Vegas/America you get 20,000 people chanting "USA! USA!" and if he wins he's on every "Good Morning America" type show. Its the stuff movies are written about (hence the upcoming Warrior.)

My two pence on Silva's next opponent(s).

Stann/Sonnen winner is next up without a shadow of a doubt. Stann is very media friendly and if this Fox thing works out like they want it too, he'd be ideal as a 'Real American Hero' type. Stann/Silva TUF coaches on Fox? Sonnen fits as well for obvious reasons.

Outside that, I expect to see the Bisping/Miller winner versus the winner of Munoz/Leben for a title shot. The UFC have been itching to give Bisping a shot for a long time now, but the time frame doesn't work out to give him the next shot even if he blows through Miller in 20 seconds. The Munoz/Leben winner will sort that little problem out.

Then you have Belfort, who because of his name value is probably never gonna be more than a win or two away from a title shot.

Also, I have never been more happy to be wrong about fight prediction than with Schaub vs Nogueira. Genuinely jumped out of my seat, shouting like a nutter! :-D

So Paul Daley is fighting Jordan Radev at BAMMA 7. It wasn't the fight they wanted but with time running out it's the fight they got. Radev has a decent record (23-4) and is a former Olympic level wrester for Bulgaria.

Gotta give Daley props for continuing to take fights against really good wrestlers.

So BAMMA 7 is actually looking pretty sweet right now...

Jimmy Wallhead vs Frank Trigg

Paul Daley vs Jordan Radev

Efrain Escudero vs Tim Radcliff

Rob Sinclair vs Leonardo Santos (World lightweight title)

Andre Winner vs Jason Ball

Dean Amasinger vs Shah Huissein

Carl Noon vs Jack Marshman (British middleweight title)

All that plus six decent prelims. Matt Ewin vs Valentino Petrescu is off after Matt was injured in a recent fight and Val got spanked in a kickboxing match a couple of weeks ago.

Not bad, not bad at all.

GSP has said before that if he DID fight Silva, he'd want at least 10 months or so to put the weight on in a healthy way. And that he'd want it to be a permanent change. He has zero desire to go up and down in weight classes liek Anderson has done.

But he definately didn't give me the opinion that it's soemthing he longs to do. I don't think he wants to fight Silva. And Silva really is considerably bigger than GSP.

Silva gives me the same impression though when they talk about him moving to 205 permanently. He's literally been quoted saying "The guys at 205 are too big for me" (I'm pretty sure he said that after the Forrest fight but I could be mistaken). Both guys like their divisions.

And while I personally think there aren't too many fights for either guy in their respective divisions, Dana has said many times on Opie and anthony and other interviews that "No matter what, there's always going to be a contender." Dont ever doubt the UFC hype machine. All they need is a guy to win 3 fights in a row and they can make him look like an an amazing contender to beat anybody.

No they aren't. "Too Big" is an overstatement. The guy is 6'2", and fights at 185 pounds. Shogun is clearly shorter (though more compact) and fights at 205. Machida sometimes fights under the limit of 205. If his fellow Braziliians, who aren't that much bigger than him, can fight at 205, he can fight 205.

However, on that subject, I think it's because A) he thinks it might have a chance, to taint his legacy by fighting in a tougher, deeper division, B) he's getting up there in age, by the time he's anywhere near that title, he might have declined enough that he wouldn't be at his peak, and C) he does NOT want to fight his fellow Brazilians.

On top of that, I think he's ready to retire. I get the sense he doesn't care much for the media and business sides, especially the nonsense that goes along with those areas. Good for him. For a guy that doesn't have the best wrestling credentials, his incredibly physical attributes and striking skills, along with decent defensive BJJ and grappling, has made him the Pound for Pound Fighter, despite his lack of wrestling. Almost any other fighter would have ran into the wrestling issue. He's so darn good at what he does, it doesn't even matter.

Daley will be fighting Luigi Fioravanti in October, barely a month after the Radev fight.

If Daley has improved his wrestling since the Tyron Woodley, then he has a good chance of scoring a knock out. If he gets taken down over and over, well, he doesn't. I'm just happy Daley has been cured of Heath Herring Disease when it comes to facing wrestlers.

Anderson Silva's been my number one P4P guy for a while now, but GSP's a very close second. After Rio, the gap got bigger. Awesome display, people should realise how lucky they are to get to watch very possibly the greatest MMA fighter of all time live and in his prime. Supremely talented fighter.

And Big Nog scoring the KO was sweet. He still seems a step behind what he was, and Brendan Schaub was probably never going to be the prospect the UFC hype machine made him out to be, but still a very important win.

Maybe it was my love for Griffin, but I thought Shogun would have a tougher time than that. Griffin seems to thrive against traditional fighters, but anyone a bit unorthodox gives him problems.

The UFC has sent out a press notification about a 'BIG (yes, it was capitalised) announcement' tomorrow. Dana has confirmed that it's the main event of UFC on Fox.

I know for a fact that Overeem's people have been in Vegas today negotiating with the UFC. Just saying.

Whether he fights on Fox or not I don't know, but either way, looks like he'll be with them by the years end, which will likely mean no K-1 (if it happens).

There's also a rumour flying around that Brock Lesnar is retiring from MMA. Dunno what the deal with that one is yet though.

Last thing I heard from Dana on Brock was that he'll be fighting at UFC 141 on January 1st. As for the main event Dana said it's a big one that will be good for the casual UFC fans and fox fans, although didn't confirm if it is a striker vs. striker bout. My sources, two seperate Canadian MMA news shows.

Edit: will it be a press release or a press confrence. And if it's the latter, what websites will stream it?

Is Reem well known enough to warrant the Fox slot? Very easy man to hype though. And if he's against Brock...well. Maybe the Brock rumour is a red herring because of this xD

Is the Fox main event after the 5 round MEs start?

My money's still on Henderson/Guida. Guaranteed good fight if there ever was one.

Last thing I heard from Dana on Brock was that he'll be fighting at UFC 141 on January 1st. As for the main event Dana said it's a big one that will be good for the casual UFC fans and fox fans, although didn't confirm if it is a striker vs. striker bout. My sources, two seperate Canadian MMA news shows.

Dana said that Brock would be ready for the 1st a week or so ago...the rumour appears to stem from a website that quotes anonymous sources within Lesnar's camp, who have said that more than one doctor has told the big fella he should hang them up due to the stress training is having on his body. According to them, Brock is warming to the idea.

Edit: will it be a press release or a press confrence. And if it's the latter, what websites will stream it?

As it stands it's a media conference call, so you Joe Public's wont be able to listen live. :-p Some sites record them and put them up....we used to, but they rarely got listened to.

Is Reem well known enough to warrant the Fox slot? Very easy man to hype though. And if he's against Brock...well. Maybe the Brock rumour is a red herring because of this xD

I think the FOX thing is more about hype than anything else. Brock is a natural fit, but they're a PPV company at the end of the day and taking a guy who may only have one or two fights left in him (if any) off PPV seems like a silly move.

People WILL tune in to this show regardless of who fights. I expect the majority of people who do will only have a casual knowledge of the sport/UFC, and it'll be a case of watching 'that UFC fight' rather than anything specific.

On that line of thinking, it makes sense to put The Reem in there, get a ton of eyeballs on him before the inevitable heavyweight title fight.

Is the Fox main event after the 5 round MEs start?

Yep, first one is at UFC 138 in the UK. BUT...they've said that there will be two fights broadcast...you need about 25-30 mins to broadcast a 3x5 fight and about 40 for a 5x5 fight, so unless they literally do no intro's/interviews, I think we might see two 3x5's. Dana did say that they'd just be getting on with the fights though, so who knows?

My money's still on Henderson/Guida. Guaranteed good fight if there ever was one.

BendoHendo vs Guida underneath Overeem vs Mir...now that'd make a bang.

This should be interesting. Often when the UFC has a press conference it's already reported what it's going to be. So by that logic we're going to get the Guida/Henderson fight which is being tossed around. That said, does that qualify as a BIG announcement? I love the fight, but hopefully that's the co-main and they've got something special lined up.

EDIT - Ortiz/Franklin would make me a sad panda. A fight with absolutely zero ramifications isn't, to me, what they should be looking for.

EDIT - Ortiz/Franklin would make me a sad panda. A fight with absolutely zero ramifications isn't, to me, what they should be looking for.

On the other hand, it's exactly what they're looking for. Franklin is a mainstream dream; clean cut, educated, well-spoken American former math teacher, former champion, well known from TUF and years of high-profile fights.

Tito is Tito; everyone recognises him. If they want media friendly and recognition...Tito vs Rich makes perfect sense. Can't see it being boring either.