The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

@brash, what do you make of twitter theory that this is all some kind of conspiracy and the whole press conference was bull****? Seems like some people will complain about anything, we have a card with Penn/Diaz and GSP/Condit (two better fights) and people are complaining.

Someone however did point out that he's still in a position that requires promotion. Which has led me to believe GSP may have had a very heavy hand in this.

Best part of this is if Diaz wins, they're gonna have to give him the shot again, aren't they? And it's gonna be even bigger. By that point GSP/Silva will be a distant memory.

@brash, what do you make of twitter theory that this is all some kind of conspiracy and the whole press conference was bull****? Seems like some people will complain about anything, we have a card with Penn/Diaz and GSP/Condit (two better fights) and people are complaining.

Someone however did point out that he's still in a position that requires promotion. Which has led me to believe GSP may have had a very heavy hand in this.

Best part of this is if Diaz wins, they're gonna have to give him the shot again, aren't they? And it's gonna be even bigger. By that point GSP/Silva will be a distant memory.

Tinfoil hat brigade were always gonna be out with this one. Personally I don't buy that it was all a set up, even though I'm a massive cynic when it comes to MMA having seen/heard some of the things I've seen/heard over the past few years.

With that said, they got a lot more publicity out of this whole shebang through Diaz not showing... *puts on tinfoil hat* :D

My guess is that is that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I think Diaz's no-show was legit. In fact I pretty much know it was, having spoken to some people close to him. I think that Dana was all for giving him the boot, but a combination of Lorenzo saying 'no' (Lorenzo loves Nick) and the HUGE amount of publicity Diaz was getting prompted them to go with Diaz-Penn.

As for him still being in a big promo spot...he's not, really. They'll send cameras to him, all he really has to do otherwise is the pre-fight presser and he'll be in Vegas by then anyway, so they'll have someone with him at all times. From the UFC's point of view, putting him in the co-main event mitigates a huge amount of the risk when it comes to losing late ticket sales/PPVs buys if he goes AWOL compared to if he was the main event. See Lesnar/UFC 106.

If he wins, then yeah, I guess they give him the shot. The alternative is giving it to Fitch, or having Fitch fight Diaz and giving Ellenberger/Sheilds the nod. I doubt that very much though.

Trust me, Cesar Gracie has done a lot of work to smooth this over, and both he and Nick will be made fully aware that if he messes this up, Nick is finished. He won't make UFC money boxing, or from another MMA org, simple as.

I hope people will just chill out and enjoy this after a while though. I'm as gutted as the next man about GSP-Diaz falling apart, but c'mon, Diaz vs Penn? Yes please! And Condit might drag an entertaining fight out of GSP too. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

That all makes sense. I've definitely enjoyed it, I prefer the card now anyway.

If he wins, then yeah, I guess they give him the shot. The alternative is giving it to Fitch, or having Fitch fight Diaz and giving Ellenberger/Sheilds the nod. I doubt that very much though.

Or maybe have Fitch fight Ellenberger/Shields while Diaz fights GSP. Think if Shields wins him vs. Fitch is fairly inevitably because then they can pretty much eliminate the loser from contention forever. And I'd actually be quite interested by it.

You've got to love conspiracy theories with no basis in reality or logic...

I fully believe Dana would love for BJ to beat Diaz and I'm sure BJ is confident he can do it. Whatever anger BJ felt over the Condit fight being changed he'll channel into pummelling Nick Diaz and I think he has a very good chance at winning.

You've got to love conspiracy theories with no basis in reality or logic...

I fully believe Dana would love for BJ to beat Diaz and I'm sure BJ is confident he can do it. Whatever anger BJ felt over the Condit fight being changed he'll channel into pummelling Nick Diaz and I think he has a very good chance at winning.

The first round? He's good a chance... but for the second, it's going to be a toss-up. If it goes to the third, chances are, Diaz is going to win. BJ's best chance is win in the first or second round. He gasses out by the third.

The first round? He's good a chance... but for the second, it's going to be a toss-up. If it goes to the third, chances are, Diaz is going to win. BJ's best chance is win in the first or second round. He gasses out by the third.

Normally, I would agree but I think BJ might be extra motivated enough that he'll shore up his usual deficiencies and try and plug any holes that Diaz could exploit. I think we'll get Condit/Penn in the end, after Condit upsets GSP and Penn beats Diaz.

Also, Paul Daley failed to make weight (at time of posting) for tomorrow night.

Normally, I would agree but I think BJ might be extra motivated enough that he'll shore up his usual deficiencies and try and plug any holes that Diaz could exploit. I think we'll get Condit/Penn in the end, after Condit upsets GSP and Penn beats Diaz.

Ah so you're backing Condit as well? My definite gut feeling when it was announced was that he'll be able to do it.

Last minute change to BAMMA 7, with Leonardo Santos refusing to fly in because he can't make weight for his title fight...

Santos now finds himself in a difficult position because he wouldn’t take a non-title fight due to a deduction in his purse due to contract stipulations related to hitting the mark for a championship bout. The normal allocation for a one-pound overage is not available on championship bouts.

Diego Vital takes his place.

I like Condit, but let's not forget, he struggled hard against Kampmann, Ellenberger, and MacDonald. That's not exactly the resume of the guy I'd expect to knock off one of the two most dominant fighters ever. Don't get me wrong, Condit's got as good a shot as anyone to land something hard or lock something in, but I don't think it makes a ton of sense to actually pick him in this fight.

Also, Paul Daley failed to make weight (at time of posting) for tomorrow night.

And I would agree on that... except his cardio. BJ Penn really dislikes doing it. It's been an issue of Penn's for a long time. Cardio is one of the those things that you have to work on consistently, or it fades very quickly.

Yea BJ went 3 rounds or more in 7 of his last 8 fights. The one fight he didnt? When he destroyed Matt hughes.

His cardio is O.K.

I think he'll be looking pure takedown against Diaz but alot of people seem convinced we're gonna see a stand up war. We'll see.

BJ Penn is a finisher... he doesn't win decisions often. The majority of wins are finishes, and the majority of his losses are decisions. Combine this with Diaz's relentless pace, Penn has to utterly dominate in the first two rounds to win a decision. Penn often fades in the third round, and sometimes even in the second round. This can't be denied.

GSP by Decision.

Diaz by Decision.

With both of their opponents hoping to cath them with a KO, otherwise they don't outclass the former in any aspects.

Skill wise BJ is better in every aspect.

If I am to read this correctly, which I might not be, are you suggesting that GSP doesn't "outclass" Condit?

I read it the other way around.

I predict Penn, stoppage by cuts late in the second.

Wait a second. Is there any area, outside of cardio, where Diaz outclasses Penn?

Chin maybe? Boxing questionably? I'd actual guess this was unlikely to go to decision. They'll both trade until one of them backs down and goes to the ground. Submission finish I'd guess. Real close though, no way I would want to be predicting the outcome.

I would enjoy Penn getting the win though.

If this one ends early, I am leaning towards BJ. But if this goes the distance, then it's Diaz.

BJ Penn has only three decisions in his career. I would say BJ Penn's top game is probably better, though Diaz is better on his back than BJ is. The thing is, though, neither of them like to wrestle. Penn has good takedown defense, Diaz doesn't.

I would say on the surface, it looks like a pretty equal fight. Skillwise, I think BJ Penn is better, but Diaz is bigger and has better cardio. My pick is Diaz by decision if it goes the distance. If it doesn't, BJ Penn by submission or TKO.

BAMMA 7 getting no love? Was there live and it was a really entertaining night of action. There were some slow moments in the undercard fights but the fighters generally pushed the fighting and there were few catcalls from the crowd. There were noticeable patches of empty seats, especially in my section, but damn this crowd was loud and raucous and when Pindi Madahar won his debut fight there large groups of fans chanting for him and going crazy for it. The loudest sustained reactions seemed to be for Paul Daley and he was a total crowd favourite, but the loudest reaction of the night was when Jim Wallhead was announced as the winner in the main event as the arena, which was starting to pack up and leave because it was past 11pm at this point, went nuts. Overall, a really fun and entertaining night of action and I recommend going to the next BAMMA show if you can.

Strikeforce was good and I was pleased to see Cormier pull of the upset. I think Barnett beats him in the GP finals but I don't think it'll be easy.

Cormier has scary potential. Shame he said he'd rather drop down to 205 than fight Cain. AKA is much worse than Jackson's for that kind of thing.

Don't really see how Barnett beats him to be honest...

It's not necessarily a bad thing. I would say Heavyweight is actually an easier time than Light Heavyweight is, especially at the lower end of Heavyweight. It's not unreasonable to consider that he's fighting at Heavyweight in Strikeforce because he doesn't want to cut weight... YET. He's stated before that he's willing to cut weight, just not quite yet. He's also implied that Cain Velasquez doesn't like to... or really has a hard time, cutting weight.

Besides, Cormier at LHW would be a beast.