The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Also Anthony Johnson is a POS who pulls this stuff because he knows his opponent can't/won't pull out.

Exactly. I've been saying this for the last 24 hrs: The worst part of this is the horrible position it puts Belfort in.

Regardless of what's happened, Johnson's attitude has been appalling. The only thing he should be saying now is 'sorry', not telling people he doesn't care over facebook, or looking for sympathy.

I speak to a lot of people who are starting out in the management game and managers who are just embracing new technology. The first thing I tell them is "get your guy a twitter/facebook". The second thing I tell 90% of them is "never let him use it". I believe some of the more confrontational statements were taken down from his facebook, but however this plays out, Rumble won't come out of it looking good.

Shame, as this could have been a massive coming out party for him.

EDIT: I'm being told that Vitor is being compensated quite handily by the UFC for taking the fight, in addition to the 20% of Johnson's purse

How can clinical mean bad in relation to this, lol?

Just solid, basic technique, going through the motions like he was on the practise mats.

Clinical could mean "boring". That's not what I think you meant, but it can be interpreted that way.

By the way, I thought Napao meant "Big Nose".

Terrible call by Mario Yamasaki. One shot to the back of the head at the very end.

Remember, the back of the head is defined to fighters as a thin, mohawk-like strip down the back of the skukk to the base. I counted one illegal shot there. Boo. I'm sure Silva will get his win $$$

100% totally agree. BS call and everyone knows it. I think even Yamasaki knew it when he watched the replay.

Palharas' leglock was absolutely sick. Barbosa's KO was unbelievable. Been a hell of a night of fights so far and it aint even done.

100% totally agree. BS call and everyone knows it. I think even Yamasaki knew it when he watched the replay.

It's a shame that silly little issues like this can't be cleared up with some specific wording in the unified rules. The fact is, it *IS* open to interpretation of the ref, but the 'mohawk' is the readily accepted standard as opposed to the 'earmuffs'. Either way, you stop the fight, take a point and assess, if you think the blows are illegal. Don't wanna rag on Yamasaki too much, refs have a crazy hard job. Like you said, you could see that he knew he'd dropped a clanger.

Also, lol at Joe and Goldy repeatedly saying that Rumble got very close to making weight. They're either haven't seen the statement from Rumble's manager saying the lowest he got was 192, or having to lose 7lbs in less than 3 hours is 'close' in there book. I guess it sounds a whole lot less unprofessional for all concerned though.

Anyone notice how Rogan is overly critical of U.S. crowds that boo foreigners and chant "U.S.A."?

Yet when he's in brazil, it's a "crazy enthusiastic crowd" that is doing the same thing? I have no problem with being a homer. In fact, I'm all for it an expect it. I just find Rogan terribly inconsistent on this issue.

That said, Rogan is a "From the heart" kinda guy. He says what he thinks (as we saw with the blown call earlier tonight) and it is what it is. Whether I agree with him or not, he says what he feels is right and I respect that about him.

Anyone notice how Rogan is overly critical of U.S. crowds that boo foreigners and chant "U.S.A."?

Yet when he's in brazil, it's a "crazy enthusiastic crowd" that is doing the same thing? I have no problem with being a homer. In fact, I'm all for it an expect it. I just find Rogan terribly inconsistent on this issue.

Lol, especially funny if you know that what the crowd are chanting is basically "You're dead". And not in a "X Fighter is gonna kill you" pro-wrestling way, more like a "You will be beaten to death tonight, one way or another" :-p

And wow, what a finish. Jose Aldo sparks Mendes with a knee, pounds him out, then runs out of the cage and sparks a near riot. Classic moment in the history of the sport right there.