The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Some great stuff at UCMMA (formerly Cage Rage) last night.

MMA vet Pete Irving beat the nation's top welterweight kickboxer in a UK-1 rules (K-1 rules, MMA gloves) bout.

Cory Tait, possibly the hottest prospect in UK MMA (he's compared to a young Anderson Silva on occasion) and one of the most dynamic strikers I've ever seen, was KO'd in ten seconds by grappler Spencer Hewitt.

Some great fights from some up and comers like Luke Barnett and Iain Martell. Former basketball player Chi Lewis Perry made his pro debut, broke his hand in the first and KO'd the dude with elbows.

Oh, and there was a flying, spinning crane kick KO, followed by the best post-KO pose ever. I'll get the vid linked here soon as I can. Siiiick.

Also got the exclusive on UCMMA signing with a new Texan promotion as part of an upcoming world wide MMA network. Could be interesting, as they're planning on running over a hundred shows in the next year or so.

He ran away like a bitch. Diaz came to fight and pressed forward the whole time. I mean come on, you wanna see fighting or a tickle contest? All that talk about being a warrior and a real fighter, psh w/e. You can have the snooze fest of gsp and him.

Do you even know who Carlos Condit is? I'm going to assume last night was the first time you have ever seen him fight, because Condit is a savage!

He fought an excellent fight last night, very disciplined performance & got the job done over a really tough guy in Nick Diaz. So it wasn't the 'fight' that everyone was anticipating but to say Condit isn't a warrior or a 'real fighter' is just uneducated stupidity!

Effective striking

Effective grappling

Ring/Cage control

Effective aggression

Defence

I knew the criteria pretty much. Don't forget that I also scored the contest to Condit. I'm just pissed off at the 49-46, which is just weird considering these criteria. If that is how they're interpreted, I want an elaboration of what they specifically say, and some concrete examples.

Agression + Cage control -> Diaz (objectively measurable)

Defense -> Even (was it the taunting that swayed them over?)

Effective grappling -> not really relevant, or at least more in favor of Diaz

Effective striking -> Condit (objectively measurable)

Seems very even to me. Perhaps even slightly in Diaz's favor. But apparently the judges value effective striking way more. But now i'm scoring the fight as a whole.

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx292/UFCWMMA2/Non-MMA/7a56d997.jpg

These are some stats from the fight and show four things:

Condit threw more significant strikes each round for the first four , with Diaz only landing one more significant strike in the fifth than Condit did.

Condit connected with a greater percentage of his significant strikes for four of the rounds, with only the second one going to Diaz in that category.

Condit threw more total strikes in each round than Diaz, with the fourth round seeing Condit outstrike Diaz by over 2 to 1.

In the end, Condit threw 329 strikes to the 258 of Diaz.

Something for the stat junkies so they can have facts rather than conjecture.

I would say Diaz won the first two, and Carlos won the fourth round. Where the question lie is-who won the third and fifth round? I thought Carlos won both, but it was close. Third could be go either way, but the fifth was Condit's effective striking versus Diaz taking Condit's back.

You could always post the ultimate fights. ;) and any unlockable characters ;) .

There are no unlockable characters, the roster you've seen is the roster that's available...unless there's something stupid like Shaq in there again, but I won't be wasting my time figuring that out :-p

Will post the Ultimate Fights when I have it though.

There are no unlockable characters, the roster you've seen is the roster that's available...unless there's something stupid like Shaq in there again, but I won't be wasting my time figuring that out :-p

err, wrong. Their are unlockable fighters, one of them is legendary chuck.

Edit: they are chuck, herring, Severn, Coleman

My review copy of Undisputed 3 will be in the post tomorrow, so I should have it Wednesday. Review embargo in place until the 14th of Feb though, so I can't say anything until then.

You jelly? :-p

Very jealous. Played the demo to death, need the full game already. :o

Any rules against a GDS party at your house? :p

Very jealous. Played the demo to death, need the full game already. :o

Any rules against a GDS party at your house? :p

THQ's rules? Probably not. My Mrs might have a slightly differing opinion though...

...which is why I'm kicking her out for the weekend so the lads can come round and play UFC after we get in on Saturday night and during Sunday's 'recovery period'. Seriously :-p

Nick Diaz is coming out of retirement *SHOCK HORROR*

Diaz vs Condit 2 has been verbally agreed, bout agreements to be signed Friday.

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2012/02/08/breaking-news-condit-accepts-immediate-diaz-rematch/

This sets a strange precedent. What they're essentially saying is that A) They wanted Diaz to win (which they did), and B) they'll put PPV buys ahead of the integrity of their divisions.

Despite a massive outcry, and White himself saying that he thought the result was wrong, there is no immediate Bisping vs Sonnen rematch, because Sonnen vs Silva 2 is the outcome the UFC wanted. They wanted Diaz vs GSP here, and didn't get the outcome they wanted. Hmm.

Part of me wants Condit to win EXACTLY the same way, just to see it blow up in their faces :-p

Does anyone think Diaz will take a different strategy coming into a rematch?

Personally i think he should take it to the ground much earlier than after 24 minutes of fighting.

Condit should use the exact same gameplan, it worked great. Plus after spending 25 minutes in the cage with him already i would think Condit would be less tentative during rounds 1 & 2.

Not impressed at the idea of the rematch for the exact reasons that Brad stated.

Diaz v Condit 2 will probably be a carbon copy of the first fight - i dont see Diaz changing strategy since it was the judges who "robbed" him...

I do want to see GSP v Diaz - but i think Condit takes Diaz 9/10 times - stylistically its a bad match for Diaz.

Does anyone think Diaz will take a different strategy coming into a rematch?

I don't think he has a different strategy...his wrestling is, and always has been, garbage. I don't think we'll see him pull guard much either...his BJJ may be amongst the best in the sport, but with the state of his eyes he doesn't want to be on the bottom against someone like Condit in an environment where elbows are allowed.