The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

It's been on the cards for a while, more of a logistical thing than anything else. His family lives in Cali now, and he's trained for his last few fights out there with Tiki Ghosn and co.

He's having to fly his coaches etc out to Cali for every fight, and that's not cheap - especially when there is no shortage of great guys to train with out in the US.

Like I said it's been on the cards, but I was just as surprised as the next man when it came out today. There's no bad blood that I've heard of.

Interesting as well that Shogun has given an interview saying that the UFC has made it clear to fighters that they don't need managers. Aldo split with Soares recently, and the guy who owns the Wolfy also manages Mike. Could be the start of a trend of fighters ditching their managers and letting their coaches deal directly with the UFC. That's clearly what the UFC wants, as they've made no bones about their disdain for managers for a while now. I'm torn myself. Managers can be a blessing and a curse...

What do you think? Is it good idea for them to deal with the UFC directly?

What do you think? Is it good idea for them to deal with the UFC directly?

I think that at the UFC level, you need a manager. And I mean a professional manager, with either a qualification or 20+ years in the business.

For example, the guy who runs MMABay was looking at managing fighters recently. He came across a 2-0 FW here in the UK and got in touch. The guy's coach had been 'looking after him' but he had nothing. In the space of a few days, my mate had secured him £300 sponsorship money (which is a lot for a 2-0 guy in the UK fighting on untelevised cards, probably unheard of), all the gear he needed for training (rash guards, hand wraps, pads, gloves etc) AND 8 weeks worth of supplements worth hundreds of pounds.

Now with that said, neither of us are even remotely qualified to deal with the amount of legal stuff that comes with UFC contracts. Not in a million years, and if I managed a fighter who was signed by the UFC tomorrow, I would take my 20% of his contract and find him a manager who was better equipped to deal with them.

Coaches often have their guys best interests at heart, but that doesn't mean they can deal with UFC contracts. They're HUGE. I'm not talking 10 pages, I'm talking stacks of paper. What I don't want to see is coaches who mean well signing young kids lives away and not getting them properly compensated.

UFC dealing directly with fighters/coaches would be ok if there was a union, which there isn't.

Aye - I'm not especially surprised to hear that the UFC are trying to encourage fighters not to use managers - after all, fighters are (generally) better at fighting than negotiating six-figure contracts, whereas managers (or at least the ones worth having) are by definition pretty good at making sure that they get every last penny of value for their fighter.

I'm not suggesting that the UFC are trying to rip off their fighters by encouraging them not to employ managers - more that they're simply trying to make their own lives easier, and probably to save themselves a fair bit of cash at the same time.

I agree with brashley - if the UFC are going to be dealing directly with their fighters, then there needs to be some kind of body representing the fighters' best interests - if for no other reason than to put to bed the recurring rumours that seem to follow the UFC regards payment of its non-headlining fighters.

I'm sure a bunch of UFC fighters are still getting lawyers to look over their contracts. If they aren't they literally deserve to get screwed. I was in bands back 10-15 years ago and even as dumb kids we hired a lawyer for a slim pittance (and there's enough out of work lawyers that they'll take a slim pittance) before we signed a dotted line.

I think UFC is trying to get as few people as possible between them and the fighter because they don't want MMA to become like boxing is, where there's a huge payout and the fighter gets this small fraction of it.

Whether they are doing the right thing? Ehh, I'm way too outside to even begin to know. But their trying to save money for themselves and the fighters from my perspective and trying to see as little money go to the people who don't do anything as possible.

The latest decennium has altogether seen a trend in 'managing' everything through external parties (who obv. internalise themselves afterward but they were essentially external). I myself never really got to the why of it, especially in sports entertainment. I still think it's because of evil organisations striving for more cash and bad people wanting to screw others over through the 'small letters' in contracts. Could be a fairy tale though. :rolleyes:

If orgs would just genuinely care about their people, it wouldn't have to be necessary.

So, crunching gear-change, but who's everyone picking for the Edgar/Bendo matchup? This looks like it's got the potential to be an absolute barn-burner.

I can't decide which way to go on this. Henderson has looked like a different fighter since joining the UFC, and apart from a tendency to walk into guillotines (which he seems to be almost supernaturally good at escaping), he's looked damn near unbeatable.

But after watching UFC 136 again the other night, it reminded me just how terrifyingly fast Frankie Edgar is with his standup - the guy was landing punches before Maynard even knew he was on the way in.

Both guys have amazing cardio - I feel Henderson's probably got a grappling advantage, whereas I think Edgar's got the edge if it stays standing, but both guys are competent all-rounders. Edgar's an ex-division I wrestler, and Henderson's more than handy on his feet. Ugh, I really can't call this one.

So, crunching gear-change, but who's everyone picking for the Edgar/Bendo matchup? This looks like it's got the potential to be an absolute barn-burner.

I can't decide which way to go on this. Henderson has looked like a different fighter since joining the UFC, and apart from a tendency to walk into guillotines (which he seems to be almost supernaturally good at escaping), he's looked damn near unbeatable.

But after watching UFC 136 again the other night, it reminded me just how terrifyingly fast Frankie Edgar is with his standup - the guy was landing punches before Maynard even knew he was on the way in.

Both guys have amazing cardio - I feel Henderson's probably got a grappling advantage, whereas I think Edgar's got the edge if it stays standing, but both guys are competent all-rounders. Edgar's an ex-division I wrestler, and Henderson's more than handy on his feet. Ugh, I really can't call this one.

I'm with you, it's a tough one to call. My gut says that Frankie will be able to use his wresting in reverse and outbox Hendo for five rounds though. That could make for a really pedestrian fight or a real slugfest, depending on how willing Henderson is to go balls to the wall.

I'm sure a bunch of UFC fighters are still getting lawyers to look over their contracts. If they aren't they literally deserve to get screwed. I was in bands back 10-15 years ago and even as dumb kids we hired a lawyer for a slim pittance (and there's enough out of work lawyers that they'll take a slim pittance) before we signed a dotted line.

I think UFC is trying to get as few people as possible between them and the fighter because they don't want MMA to become like boxing is, where there's a huge payout and the fighter gets this small fraction of it.

Whether they are doing the right thing? Ehh, I'm way too outside to even begin to know. But their trying to save money for themselves and the fighters from my perspective and trying to see as little money go to the people who don't do anything as possible.

What they really want to avoid is 'super agents'...guys who have a stable of top names or have a pipeline from a certain country (like Ed Soares does with Brazil).

At one point, Soares had the Nogueira brothers, Anderson Silva, Lyoto Machida and Jose Aldo on the books. At one point three of those guys held belts at the same time. That gives him a lot of power when it comes to matchmaking, and is widely believed to be the reason for all the shenanigans re: Silva's fight with Belfort/permanent move to 205.

With the 'super agents' it's a similar problem, but more direct. Lets say I manage Anderson Silva, Michael Bisping and Vitor Belfort. I can literally hold the UFC to ransom when it comes to matchmaking/purses. I can also approach Chael Sonnen and say "Hey Chael, I have the division tied up...if you sign with me as well I can get you an extra $100,000 to fight any one of those guys".

In boxing there is often a blurry line between managers and promoters and the UFC doesn't want that...they want to be the promoter, they want to dictate who fights who, and for how much.

Well, it was always going to be a matter of time for Alvarez. I'm sure Frankie Edgar's delighted about that - yet another top-class fighter joining his division and gunning for him. :D

As for Gracie... well, I'm not holding my breath on him - I haven't seen an awful lot, but what I have seen is a brilliant BJJ guy who's not really up to much if the fight's not on the ground. Would he really be in the UFC if he didn't have the Gracie name?

Well, it was always going to be a matter of time for Alvarez. I'm sure Frankie Edgar's delighted about that - yet another top-class fighter joining his division and gunning for him. :D

As for Gracie... well, I'm not holding my breath on him - I haven't seen an awful lot, but what I have seen is a brilliant BJJ guy who's not really up to much if the fight's not on the ground. Would he really be in the UFC if he didn't have the Gracie name?

With the credentials that he has, probably yes. People said the same thing about Jacare a few years back...he took a few years to adapt, so I'm willing to give Gracie a bit of time too. What a shark tank of a division to jump into though.

Wait a minute... There's some guy named Gunnar Nelson? This is too funny. Nothing like Gunnar Nils(s)on though (old guy HW vs young guy MW).

Gunnar is LEGIT. BJJ black belt Under Renzo Gracie by the age of 21, which is insane. He's one of the best sub grapplers in the world and has an 8-0-1 MMA record to boot. He's not fought for a couple of years as he's been focued on grappling, but when he comes back full time he's gonna make some serious waves.

Oh and he's a karate black belt as well, y'know, just incase.

Nice. I heard Koscheck already has another match lined up. That's the way things should work. Why wait for 6+ months to book fighters? :)

Yup, Johnny Hendricks. Someone said it's the first time a D1 champ has fought a D1 champ in any MMA promotion. Not sure if that's true or not and can't be bother to check, but pretty cool if true. Hope Hendricks smashes him to bits, if I'm honest :-p

trying to get this guy some exposure, know him from another forums. http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/f/39DF6A1035228C14/Jeff-Smith/

maybe our resident journalist has some connections to get him a contract with BAMMA or something like that. ;)

Haha, of course I do, but BAMMA aren't in a position to pay to fly (and I use this term with the greatest respect) 'no-name' fighters in from other countries at the moment.

Tell him to get in touch with someone at Ring of Combat in New Jersey. Most of his fights are in PA so I'm guessing he lives there, and NJ isn't too far, right? Anyway, ROC have got good connections to higher up the food chain. I can give him a number if he can't get one, but I think there is an application form on their website.

Haha, of course I do, but BAMMA aren't in a position to pay to fly (and I use this term with the greatest respect) 'no-name' fighters in from other countries at the moment.

Tell him to get in touch with someone at Ring of Combat in New Jersey. Most of his fights are in PA so I'm guessing he lives there, and NJ isn't too far, right? Anyway, ROC have got good connections to higher up the food chain. I can give him a number if he can't get one, but I think there is an application form on their website.

someone already told him to try ROC out, I was reading an article where they were just saying nice things about him and how he is willing to fight anyone for a UFC debut, even fight the mongolian wolf on short notice at featherweight, however never got the call.