The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

So I was at Warning, a big drum 'n' bass rave (10pm till 6am - I'm getting to old for this you-know-what) last Saturday. Obviously due to the time, I missed UFC 150 live.

But look who I bumped into working security at about 4am...Josh Koscheck! Glad he's keeping busy through his injury.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/brashleyholland/bradkos.jpg

(And yes, that is the new Korean Zombie shirt I'm rocking :p )

So I was at Warning, a big drum 'n' bass rave (10pm till 6am - I'm getting to old for this you-know-what) last Saturday. Obviously due to the time, I missed UFC 150 live.

But look who I bumped into working security at about 4am...Josh Koscheck! Glad he's keeping busy through his injury.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/brashleyholland/bradkos.jpg

(And yes, that is the new Korean Zombie shirt I'm rocking :p )

If I had any romoshop skills I would edit in Bob Ross' hair and repost it.

Well, that Rousey fight was over quickly. Can't explain why I was surprised, given the fact that most of her victories went this way. Just amazing, really.

Glad that Saffiedine won his fight. That one was also pretty close going into round 2. Classic power vs technique match as a prelude to a classic striker vs grappler main event. The co-main event was over in a bang as well, can't really comment on it.

I actually picked Kedzie as the winner going into the fight, as opposed to many who would see it as a huge upset. Imo Tate is somewhat overrated and Kedzie is severely underrated going into that fight. If she stuck to her gameplan she probably would've picked up the win. But it was a great fight nontheless.

Too bad about the illegal strike finish that didn't get penalised in the prelims. But what are you going to do? Herb Dean again though...

Well, that Rousey fight was over quickly. Can't explain why I was surprised, given the fact that most of her victories went this way. Just amazing, really.

Glad that Saffiedine won his fight. That one was also pretty close going into round 2. Classic power vs technique match as a prelude to a classic striker vs grappler main event. The co-main event was over in a bang as well, can't really comment on it.

I actually picked Kedzie as the winner going into the fight, as opposed to many who would see it as a huge upset. Imo Tate is somewhat overrated and Kedzie is severely underrated going into that fight. If she stuck to her gameplan she probably would've picked up the win. But it was a great fight nontheless.

Too bad about the illegal strike finish that didn't get penalised in the prelims. But what are you going to do? Herb Dean again though...

This has always been Julie's biggest problem... She's lost a ton of fights because she always finds a way to give rounds, or positions, that cost her the fight. This fight was classic Julie Kedzie. All on the table, all she has to do is say "Get up, Tate!" and she wins... Just ugh.

Who are these 'people'? And he wouldn't actually be fighting at a weight of 145lbs. He'd just be cutting the 10lbs to make weight and then put it back on. And unless he completely sucks at cutting weight, and I have a sneaking suspicion he knows a thing or two about the practice, he'd still be fighting at his natural weight of around 155lbs like he is now. The only difference is that he'd be facing guys who are closer to his weight than the 'Lightweights' he faces now.

I want to add something. I heard two of his coaches, one on the record (Ricardo Almeida) and a second through a MMA report (that hasn't been disputed) that they believe Frankie Edgar can evne make 135. I think they were implying he doesn't even need to CUT to 145. He maybe able to diet to 145. And then from 145, cut to 135. Still a huge drop of weight to 135, but I believe. if Frankie Edgar cuts ZERO weight (and he said this on the record at a press conference) at 155, he might not need to cut at all if he decided. He would be on a stricter diet to make 145, not even a weight cut.

And if his coaches are willing to throw to this idea out, it means they believe the guys at 145 are still too big for him. Even Frankie Edgar has implied this - there are some guys at 145 or even 135 that cut from 165 to 170, which is insane (and in my opinion, stupid, because it's no one wonder they burn out faster than a July 4th firework (*coughmikebrowncoughjoshgrispicough*). That being said, there guys that are 6 feet tall, or even taller, and it's a good a bet that some of these guys at least start their total weight loss from 185.

This has always been Julie's biggest problem... She's lost a ton of fights because she always finds a way to give rounds, or positions, that cost her the fight. This fight was classic Julie Kedzie. All on the table, all she has to do is say "Get up, Tate!" and she wins... Just ugh.

Indeed, but the beauty of that style is that it brings entertainment to the table. She was the architect of the awesomeness that was that match. Based on the previous rounds, she could've indeed stalled to win. But I get the feeling that, more than anything, she wanted women's MMA to steal the show rather than to score a victory no matter what. You gotta admire that.

And lol @ Girlrilla's quote: "you gotta have loved that match or you're not a fan of WMMA." Can't believe she knows about the game. :p

Here is the latest in what is quickly becoming a series of pictures I shall call 'Brad gets far too drunk and bumps into people who look like MMA fighters'.

This dude seriously looks like Clay Guida.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/brashleyholland/IMG_2223.jpg[/img]

I tried to get a better picture (or at least one where my eyeballs were pointing in the right direction) but he wouldn't keep still. Wait a minute....

Indeed, but the beauty of that style is that it brings entertainment to the table. She was the architect of the awesomeness that was that match. Based on the previous rounds, she could've indeed stalled to win. But I get the feeling that, more than anything, she wanted women's MMA to steal the show rather than to score a victory no matter what. You gotta admire that.

And lol @ Girlrilla's quote: "you gotta have loved that match or you're not a fan of WMMA." Can't believe she knows about the game. :p

Or she could have earned a clean, and decisive stoppage, ala Mir vs. Nogiuera I. Fighting to your betterment, and fighting to stall are not one in the same.

Dana opened up the can of all cans of whoop-ass on Jones and Jackson.

White was particularly enraged by Jackson, the respected Albuquerque-based trainer of several elite MMA fighters, calling him "a sport-killer" and "a weirdo" before saying: "Greg Jackson should never be interviewed by anybody ever again, except a psychiatrist."

LOL

I'm just going to say this for now...

When fighters can pick and choose who they compete against and under what terms, things are going wrong.

See: Boxing - a sport with clearly defined ranking systems that leave no doubt as to who is next in line for a particular belt, but where it's possible to pay that person to step aside so that the 'champion' can fight whoever he wants.

With that said you can't force a man to work, whether his job is fighting or selling shoes. You can only deal with him afterwards. I'm going to be very interested to see how this affects the Jones/UFC relationship.

I'm just going to say this for now...

When fighters can pick and choose who they compete against and under what terms, things are going wrong.

See: Boxing - a sport with clearly defined ranking systems that leave no doubt as to who is next in line for a particular belt, but where it's possible to pay that person to step aside so that the 'champion' can fight whoever he wants.

With that said you can't force a man to work, whether his job is fighting or selling shoes. You can only deal with him afterwards. I'm going to be very interested to see how this affects the Jones/UFC relationship.

why would he face Sonnen when he hasn't earned the shot?.. I get it yeah, hes the champion, but that doesn't mean he's ducking them. He's smashed everyone in his way, and he's offered someone who just lost at a LOWER weight and people give him crap. The whole Shgun-Texeira thing was ducking, this is not. The champion should fight someone worthy of the shot

why would he face Sonnen when he hasn't earned the shot?.. I get it yeah, hes the champion, but that doesn't mean he's ducking them. He's smashed everyone in his way, and he's offered someone who just lost at a LOWER weight and people give him crap. The whole Shgun-Texeira thing was ducking, this is not. The champion should fight someone worthy of the shot

I don't have a problem with Sonnen getting the fight because it's an entertaining headline fight. I mean jesus dude it's a last minute replacement.

It's nothing to do with earning a shot, it's an 11th hour replacement. And if that was the reason Jones' camp were giving (its not) then tough - it's not up to them to decide who has earned the shot.

The champion should fight whoever he's told to fight by the promoter who pays his wages, just like every other fighter. The champion is supposed to be the guy who takes on all comers, any time, any place.

If Sonnen is such an unworthy opponent, why not smash him to bits and make seven-figures for the privilege? Jones is all about money, right? He said not a week or so ago that he wan't interested in the Machida rematch because nobody wanted to see it so he wouldn't make as much money off it. Now he's happy to fight Machida in a few weeks time, but not an 85'er with no camp who apparently isn't good enough to deserve a shot anyway?

The whole thing isn't only blame on Jones tho. I mean, the UFC did do like one or two UFC numbered cards on Spike TV, why not just turn 151 into a free tv card?? Call up FOX, FX, or Fuel and ask them. Dana's at fault for 151 getting cancelled, not Jones. And Machida turned down the chance to fight Jones next week, so he should get blamed too.

It's nothing to do with earning a shot, it's an 11th hour replacement. And if that was the reason Jones' camp were giving (its not) then tough - it's not up to them to decide who has earned the shot.

The champion should fight whoever he's told to fight by the promoter who pays his wages, just like every other fighter. The champion is supposed to be the guy who takes on all comers, any time, any place.

If Sonnen is such an unworthy opponent, why not smash him to bits and make seven-figures for the privilege? Jones is all about money, right? He said not a week or so ago that he wan't interested in the Machida rematch because nobody wanted to see it so he wouldn't make as much money off it. Now he's happy to fight Machida in a few weeks time, but not an 85'er with no camp who apparently isn't good enough to deserve a shot anyway?

I don't think he's scared, but I get what you're saying. He should take on all comers, I jsut don't understand the Sonnen choosing, I personally think they should do a tournament to figure out the contender, seeing as Jones has beaten most of the greater ones lately. And honestly I'm a major Sonnen fan, I'm just not shocked Jones shot it down

The whole thing isn't only blame on Jones tho. I mean, the UFC did do like one or two UFC numbered cards on Spike TV, why not just turn 151 into a free tv card?? Call up FOX, FX, or Fuel and ask them. Dana's at fault for 151 getting cancelled, not Jones. And Machida turned down the chance to fight Jones next week, so he should get blamed too.

I dont think it works like that.

"Hey, FOX, you dont have anything going on TV in like, I dunno, eight days do ya? Because we were thinking about putting on a show."

Not only that but you gotta consider putting an event on TV with an arena full of pissed off fans that paid full price for Jones/Hendo and get Ellenberger/Heiron as their main event with what? Denis Siver and Eddie agin as your CO MAIN EVENT? Thats just embarrassing.

If Dana White like a shattered cuckold had to lower his head and announce the CANCELLED AN EVENT that was close to if not sold out if they had not explored every possible option.

I dont think it works like that.

"Hey, FOX, you dont have anything going on TV in like, I dunno, eight days do ya? Because we were thinking about putting on a show."

Not only that but you gotta consider putting an event on TV with an arena full of pissed off fans that paid full price for Jones/Hendo and get Ellenberger/Heiron as their main event with what? Denis Siver and Eddie agin as your CO MAIN EVENT? Thats just embarrassing.

If Dana White like a shattered cuckold had to lower his head and announce the CANCELLED AN EVENT that was close to if not sold out if they had not explored every possible option.

Or instead of cancelling 151 as a whole, its never gonna exist and just move onto 152. I mean they could've just change 152 to 151 and move everyone like their doing. But hey I don't run the UFC.

On a side not, Machida bailed and now Vitor Belfort is stepping in to face Jon Jones at 152, and Anderson Silva offered to fight at 205 to save 151, but it was too late.

Nobody is really to blame, as an injury ruined everything, and Jon thought like a rational fighter instead of a true champion, and the UFC obviously couldn't figure something out and collapsed and cancelled an entire event. I'm intrigued by the Belfort Jones match up. I wanna see how Jones can fare against the fast hands of Vitor.