The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

http://www.bjpenn.com/needed-rampage-manager-talks/

There's that, and other thing, like there was 40 day to modify the contrat, Rampage would be doing Movie, be on MTV, etc, and Bellator breached all of that

I haven't seen the actual contract, so unless you have I don't think I can just take that as gospel at this point, especially with the link you gave saying at the very end "As Gwynn stated, Bellator has passed Rampage’s contract dispute on to their legal team, which will in turn likely cause the UFC to involve their legal team to dispute whether or not Rampage was in a position to terminate his contract.". This means that although the article points to it being resolved, nothing has actually been resolved yet.

I do believe after all is said and done, UFC gets him. I was just bringing up that there is drama here, so to speak.

What ?

It was the "Sarafian - Dos Santos" fight. Dos Santos 'stopped' the fight at his own leisure.

As for Strikeforce: Imo they need to play the number two routine. No way that there's keeping up to UFC by imitating them as they'd just be doing it with inferior talent. This means sharing talent with other organisations and allowing them to promote themselves through other channels, quite like TNA did... in a crappy way.

Well: this is new. A DQ ruled as a TKO that was in fact a stoppage initiated by a fighter himself (which is impossible and shouldn't happen). That said, a referee can interpret it as some sort of verbal tapout, so no mistake her. Just don't say anything if you want to remain in the fight.

It was the correct outcome. If a fighter can't continue due to an injury, that's a TKO. He didn't verbally submit as such, so that would have been a bit more controversial. He was just indicating that he couldn't continue in his current state. The ref isn't obliged to call the doctor in.

Funnily enough, there's actually been a UFC fight where a doctor was called in to check a dislocated finger/thumb and popped it back into place. That probably shouldn't have happened though.

Well.. Jones beat Cormier. He just dominated him in the clinch in the 3, 4 and 5 round. I was trouble seeing WHY Jones was in the inside, Cormier was landing good uppercut in the second round, but it was clear that Cormier's Cardio was not so good. And the two takedown from Jones in the four must have break Cormier's will. And my god that reach advantage :D

Impressed by Cerrone too. That domination on the ground, and that SICK head kick in the second round

Judging by his reaction to the call he clearly wasn't indicating that he couldn't continue, and probably would'nt have done it if he knew that. He probably did because he thought he'd get a second or two to get his bearing (like illegal groin-hits). That said, the ref probably did apply the rules indeed. My point is that fighters should know the rules by heart, barring of course the times they break the rules because of instinctual moves. U used to see that in wrestling where the athletes sometimes just didn't know what to do, and it makes for an awkward experience (thank god that finally changed).

Those frustration leg kicks from Cerrone got him some points with the crowd. Love the guy and his attitude concerning fights. I guess one can legitimize continued evasive manoevers because there is a chance the dominating fighter commits too much and makes a mistake, but that will rarely happen. If you opt for that strategy too often you'll become a second Fitch.

Watched the main event late at night (hours before working, shouldn't have done that :p) and probably fell asleep during r3 as I was surprised the fight ended early.

Cerrone will always come short vs the best of the division. If i recall, he was talking trash prior to that match against Pettis ?

And for the evasive manoevers, I think it work only against a true opponent with a real offensive game. Cerrone was only kicking, and Myles wasn't going to grab that kick to go to the ground to have a second first round.

Burkman used it against Lombard, and Lombard was tagged when he was too agressive.

Or Paul Daley vs Scott Smith :p

• 2 weeks later...
Holy moly, what a fight. Didn't expect that for sure. Well, Jones vs. Johnson should be a good one for sure. Also, if Gustafsson ends up fighting Cormier that will be one helluva fight as well.

You're absolutely right. Johnson has some serious power in his hands and I think he can give Bones problems if he gets to tag him like Cormier did. And yeah, Cormier vs. Gus would be pretty darn interesting fight to see.

Am I the only one who thinks that the Silva/Diaz fight sucked? The fight was only carried by Silva's "overness" and Diaz' ridiculous antics that got the Brazilian portion of the crowd riled up. Two great strikers (at least before their long lay-offs) squared off, but still neither one of them landed any significant strikes that threatened to finish the bout. I'm extremely disappointed.

Had this been a fight on the undercard between two much less popular fighters, they would have booed the crap out of them. In my opinion, this was the worst ppv main event in the last two years (that's how long I follow the sport).

Am I the only one who thinks that the Silva/Diaz fight sucked? The fight was only carried by Silva's "overness" and Diaz' ridiculous antics that got the Brazilian portion of the crowd riled up. Two great strikers (at least before their long lay-offs) squared off, but still neither one of them landed any significant strikes that threatened to finish the bout. I'm extremely disappointed.

Had this been a fight on the undercard between two much less popular fighters, they would have booed the crap out of them. In my opinion, this was the worst ppv main event in the last two years (that's how long I follow the sport).

Well, Silva is a known counter striker and Diaz of course knew not to engage too much and get countered. This seemed like a great fight on paper but this should've been guessed to happen when the fight was made. I wonder if Joe Silva plays WMMA :confused:

Well, Silva is a known counter striker and Diaz of course knew not to engage too much and get countered. This seemed like a great fight on paper but this should've been guessed to happen when the fight was made. I wonder if Joe Silva plays WMMA :confused:

That fight was a problem. How do you score that one ? Diaz was repeteadly punching Silva who was doing nothing, and the next time Silva was hitting Diaz who was smiling. Silva landed a TON of fluke shot for me, and Diaz was just walking right through it. I've seen all, 50-45 for Silva, 48-47 for Silva, 48-47 for Diaz. I have 48-47 for Diaz. We need 7 rounds :D

Silva was pressured round 1 & 2 & 3, and at the end of 3 Diaz landed a weak shot that wobbled a little Silva :confused:

I don't think anyone expected a 'great' match. The card was just good on paper, and that's the only quality the match has. Both have uncertain futures, so it seems like a loss on long-term anyway.

I enjoyed the antics and the post-match stuff (emotion). And Nick is really a one-of-a-kind guy. He's just got such a weird combination of awkwardness in social situations: the 'miscommunication' with the coach, him not showing up on media sessions, his brother walking out of interviews, using trashtalk to influence the match,... His speech after the fight was also as weird as it gets. It seems there's people with less structured minds than me. :p As for the scoring: I wasn't paying attention to that, but Silva had the slight edge, though not much significant happened and Diaz was the one pressuring. I thought it was gonna be 48-47 but definitely not 50-45. The first round seemed like a Diaz round for sure.

Woodley decided to drop his extra cash and return it to Castellum. I know he's a religious guy and means well, but seriously: this behaviour shouldn't be applauded and shouldn't be awarded. If you can't make the weight, step up a weight class. It's just a snap of the finger and it's settled. Some people are just so unprofessional... It sickens me. You fight two fights a year and still come unprepared. If you get sick or you happen to get injured, that's a pity (though you can take limited precautions for that as well), but no excuse for missing weight. I mean: is there anyone who just keeps John Rivero at LHW? Anyone? :p

Both guys landed plenty of significant strikes, they're also both known for being able to take or roll with punches. Diaz isn't a power hitter himself and has never been knocked out - what did you expect?

I've seen quite a few people online saying they feel let down by the fight but in all honesty it's their own fault for buying the hype.

Silva was always going to take a while to get into it. It's a small miracle he's even in there at all considering the type of injury he sustained and the age at which he sustained it. I've seen a few of those over the years (one in person unfortunately) and the fighters have never been the same after it. Anderson looked pretty much back to normal by the championship rounds, but he was always going to start slowly. Plus, like other have said, his game revolves around slips, parries and counters.

Diaz loses fights when he doesn't get his own way, plain and simple. He's never been the fastest or most powerful puncher, but his angles and accuracy are incredible. When you factor in his phenomenal cardio, you get a guy that can punish every mistake with 3-5 punches instead of just one. He gets those opportunities by applying pressure, walking guys down and as a last (or sometime first) resort, talking, taunting etc. It's all designed to get a reaction. When Diaz fights disciplined guys, or guys who can shut him down, he loses, and he usually doesn't look great in doing so.

Silva is one of the most disciplined guys in the game, and he wasn't going to be taking any chances coming back from his lay-off. The fight was always going to look like that.

I quite enjoyed it to be honest. They're both legitimately great fighters (and one of them is in with a shout of being the best ever) and you get the sense that anything could happen with them, right up to the final bell.

Silva is one of the most disciplined guys in the game

Interesting. I for one didn't see much discipline in his last title fights. As a matter of fact: he got knocked out and acted like a buffoon in general. But I guess those were exceptions? :rolleyes: GSP was very disciplined in his match with Diaz though.

Though I guess there's several interpretations of the word. And one could be disciplined outside the cage of course, where the skill matters most. One can only wonder where he'd be if he'd been more disciplined in his first Weidman fight. Probably retired.

Holy crap. Another big blow to the UFC, as both Silva AND Diaz fail their drug tests. Wow, just wow.

It's amazing :D Silva, i think it's because of his legs. and Diaz.. Well, that man know how to make a good party. I really don't know why Marijuana is forbidden for him :p

• 4 weeks later...

Wait a sec... why didn't anyone tell me Kimbo vs Shamrock was going to happen. I would've hyped pages of this thread by now. :D

The best course of action now is to lock me in a bunker with some food so I'll be sure to survive until june. But do give me a call if the fight gets cancelled (and it might).