The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Woot finally have power again since the storm wedensday. Had to watch the ppv at Buffalo Wild wings last night. I missed all the facebook fights due to no power/internet but did get to see the spike prelims. I could of done without seeing that embarassing lost by Nate. I guess he will never be the fighter his brother is :(. Over all enjoyed the card but was sad to see Couter go out like that. Was really hoping he would ride out into the sunset with a win. Seeing peoples reactions to Hominicks head at the place was funny. So many people were cringing or just looking away. I know the main event wasn't all that exciting, esp following Aldo, but I still think GSP has a good shot at beating Silva when it happens. Really hope he fights Nick first as he is really the last challenger for him at 170.

This is something a lot of people 'in the know' have been saying to me for about a year, and something that I've kinda been thinking myself for a while. After last nights performance, I'm almost sure of it...

Georges St Pierre is absolutely terrified of losing. Personally and financially.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="brashleyholland" data-cite="brashleyholland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This is something a lot of people 'in the know' have been saying to me for about a year, and something that I've kinda been thinking myself for a while. After last nights performance, I'm almost sure of it...<p> </p><p> Georges St Pierre is absolutely terrified of losing. Personally and financially.</p></div></blockquote><p> Financially? I don't know about it. But I think that loss against Serra, where Serra KOed him, scared him. I just think he doesn't like being KOed, period. Submission? Well, Hughes submitted him once, but he came back pretty strong. </p><p> </p><p> I think his mental toughness and physical toughness may not be as good as we think it is. If he gets dominated, will he "break"? We know Anderson Silva won't. But will GSP "break"?</p>

I think his mental toughness and physical toughness may not be as good as we think it is. If he gets dominated, will he "break"? We know Anderson Silva won't. But will GSP "break"?

Given what we know GSP has fought through, I think it's comical to question his mental toughness. You say we 'know' Silva won't break but his fights with Cote, Leites and Maia were infamous for his refusal to engage and press the action, yet I don't see the same questions being asked of his mental toughness.

I don't think Silva lacks mental toughness any more than GSP does, but I think it's amusing that GSP doesn't engage and his mental toughness is questioned and yet Silva, infamous for it, is given the all clear for mental fragility.

Given what we know GSP has fought through, I think it's comical to question his mental toughness. You say we 'know' Silva won't break but his fights with Cote, Leites and Maia were infamous for his refusal to engage and press the action, yet I don't see the same questions being asked of his mental toughness.

I don't think Silva lacks mental toughness any more than GSP does, but I think it's amusing that GSP doesn't engage and his mental toughness is questioned and yet Silva, infamous for it, is given the all clear for mental fragility.

Sonnen dominated for 5 rounds. With broken ribs, he submitted Chael Sonnen in the final hour. Those examples you gave aren't examples of mental fragilitiy. They are examples of mental boredom. You are clearly confusing the two accidentally. I'm no fan of Silva's attitude, but I attribute his actions to disrespecting his opponents and being bored, more than actually not wanting to engage.

Anderson Silva gets taggted repeatedly for 5 rounds, taken down for 5 rounds, with bruised ribs that become broken ribs, and submitted Chael Sonnen, from the bottom, at the last minute. Now, I tell you, is this a sign of mental fragility? What has GSP done in similar situation? Tell me that answer. And then, after tell me, again, after what Silva has done, that he's mentally fragile, and not simply bored, lazy, and needed a challenge before his fight against Chael Sonnen. None of your "proof" that he's fragile can't be attributed to something else. The fact that Silva kept trying to pull off that submission through the whole fight (Sonnen said himself), and not simply giving is proof enough that he's mentally strong. On the other hand, GSP tapped out to strikes. How many fighters you know tap out to strikes?

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> On the other hand, GSP tapped out to strikes. How many fighters you know tap out to strikes?</div></blockquote><p> Plenty of fighters have tapped out to strikes. Rua was tapping out right as the referee stopped his fights with Jones. Is he mentally weak too? Is every fighter who tapped out to strikes mentally weak as well?</p>

Please keep it civil.

Also, please let's not start talking about "proof" when you're debating opinions. I'm really not keen on this turning into a Sherdog-esque board where people offer their own opinions or interpretations of events as proof while simultaneously dismissing any differing opinion as somehow not having proved anything. It's not only incredibly lazy and short-sighted, it's almost a guaranteed way to start flame wars.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Fantabulous" data-cite="Fantabulous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Plenty of fighters have tapped out to strikes. Rua was tapping out right as the referee stopped his fights with Jones. Is he mentally weak too? Is every fighter who tapped out to strikes mentally weak as well?</div></blockquote><p> According to Bas Rutten, yes. Or at the very least, they were so unprepared that they tapped out. You're not supposed to get to the point where you have to tap out to strikes. You either get KOed, the refs stops, or you battle through it. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Fantabulous" data-cite="Fantabulous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I think the only thing the GSP/Shields fight proved is that when he can't see properly out of one eye, GSP doesn't fully engage.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You know, after that Homnick fight, where Hominick had one cut UNDEr his eye, and large glob above it on his forehad... yeah, it looked like GSP was being nitpicky. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Adam Ryland" data-cite="Adam Ryland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Please keep it civil. <p> </p><p> Also, please let's not start talking about "proof" when you're debating opinions. I'm really not keen on this turning into a Sherdog-esque board where people offer their own opinions or interpretations of events as proof while simultaneously dismissing any differing opinion as somehow not having proved anything. It's not only incredibly lazy and short-sighted, it's almost a guaranteed way to start flame wars.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You know, I have something to say about this, but considering I respect you-and your authority-I will accept it.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> You know, after that Homnick fight, where Hominick had one cut UNDEr his eye, and large glob above it on his forehad... yeah, it looked like GSP was being nitpicky. </p><p> </p></div></blockquote><p> Hominick could still see, though, and GSP couldn't. But you're right, GSP is a mental weakling.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>You know, after that Homnick fight, where Hominick had one cut under his eye, and large glob above it on his forehad... yeah, it looked like GSP was being nitpicky.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I thought this, but im pretty new to MMA so i'll defer to you guys who clearly know more.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jingo" data-cite="Jingo" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I thought this, but im pretty new to MMA so i'll defer to you guys who clearly know more.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Hominick could still see, and the doctor was satisfied that he could, so the fight was allowed to continue. GSP actually told his corner between the second and third rounds that he couldn't see, which if the doctor had known, he would have had to call the fight off.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="brashleyholland" data-cite="brashleyholland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>This is something a lot of people 'in the know' have been saying to me for about a year, and something that I've kinda been thinking myself for a while. After last nights performance, I'm almost sure of it...<p> </p><p> Georges St Pierre is absolutely terrified of losing. Personally and financially.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> How do you think this ends? Like, how long before people get sick of it? Because when even in Canada there are boos ringing out you know it's potentially a dire situation.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Shape" data-cite="The Shape" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How do you think this ends? Like, how long before people get sick of it? Because when even in Canada there are boos ringing out you know it's potentially a dire situation.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I think depends on whether GSP and/or Greg Jackson let the reaction get to them. As far as they're concerned, it's more about winning the fight than the reaction. I will say, though, that had GSP not had the eye problem the fight wouldn't have been so boring. I think it most likely would have played out like the Koscheck fight with GSP jabbing and moving his way to a decision win. It wouldn't have been the most exciting of fights but there would still have been constant movement and action and it wouldn't have been so boring that even Canadians were booing GSP.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Fantabulous" data-cite="Fantabulous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hominick could still see, though, and GSP couldn't. But you're right, GSP is a mental weakling.</div></blockquote><p> I don't know. I mean, Hominick CLAIMED he could see, and it's not like the Doctor, who I have no question about his ablity, could do extensive tests on whether he could see at the moment. </p><p> </p><p> And if that thing "popped" then, that would have been the end of the match, and then both McCarthy and the Doctor could have gotten in some trouble for allowing that. But they made a heck of a call, and I give them both credit. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Fantabulous" data-cite="Fantabulous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Hominick could still see, and the doctor was satisfied that he could, so the fight was allowed to continue. GSP actually told his corner between the second and third rounds that he couldn't see, which if the doctor had known, he would have had to call the fight off.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Actually, the Doctor would have checked it out, and then he would lose the match, but keep the title... which actually would have been a more interesting outcome. But more importantly, the eye just didn't look that bad. I've seen Howard's eye, Koscheck's eye, Homnick's eye, Fedor's eye, and it just didn't look like that bad. </p><p> </p><p> </p><blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Shape" data-cite="The Shape" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How do you think this ends? Like, how long before people get sick of it? Because when even in Canada there are boos ringing out you know it's potentially a dire situation.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I don't blame GSP for winning, but even Dana seemed disappointedx this time. D</p>

<p>GSP is a very, very good fighter but his work rate is pretty dismal. He makes a lot of money and is a big part of why the UFC is so successful in Canada, maybe the pressure gets to him or maybe he's resigned himself to fighting conservatively.</p><p> </p><p>

There's really nothing wrong with fighting conservatively, but I do wish he'd commit more to his offense, especially when fighting someone like Shields.</p><p> </p><p>

UFC 129 was a dynamite card second-from-the-top to bottom. Highlights included MacDonald slamming Diaz into the lightweight division, Machida crane kicking Couture out of MMA and basically the entire Aldo/Hominick fight. There's something deeply satisfying about two high level strikers beating the hell out of each other while still throwing and defending with good technique.</p><p> </p><p>

e: Also Vladdy getting his second first round finish in a row.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Daffanka" data-cite="Daffanka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>GSP is a very, very good fighter but his work rate is pretty dismal. He makes a lot of money and is a big part of why the UFC is so successful in Canada, maybe the pressure gets to him or maybe he's resigned himself to fighting conservatively.<p> </p><p> There's really nothing wrong with fighting conservatively, but I do wish he'd commit more to his offense, especially when fighting someone like Shields.</p><p> </p><p> UFC 129 was a dynamite card second-from-the-top to bottom. Highlights included MacDonald slamming Diaz into the lightweight division, Machida crane kicking Couture out of MMA and basically the entire Aldo/Hominick fight. There's something deeply satisfying about two high level strikers beating the hell out of each other while still throwing and defending with good technique.</p><p> </p><p> e: Also Vladdy getting his second first round finish in a row.</p></div></blockquote><p> I don't think he just fights conservatively. That's not just it. He doesn't like getting damaged, particularly, I've noticed, in the face. I think even Dana is getting pretty tired of it, especially on the BIGGEST event of the year. Jon Fitch fights conservatively, and as much as I dislike his style... he does it to win, not to avoid damage. If he gets hurt while trying to impose his gameplan, so be it. GSP is clearly trying to avoid getting hurt. </p><p> </p><p> That being said, the card, was great. I pretty much knew the main event was gong to be disappointing, but I didn't expect the card to be so dynamite, with THAT many finishes. It was freaking highlight-fest, and so many KO's deserving the KO of the night, but there was too many. From Makdessi's, to Ellenberger's, to Matyushenko's... wow. </p><p> </p><p> Also, that Crane kick is not something a MMA guy is used to. He faked a left (front?) kick, uses it as a leverage for a right front kick. It wasn't as strong as Silva's kick, but it was a lot faster, more technical, and hit the right place.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Shape" data-cite="The Shape" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>How do you think this ends? Like, how long before people get sick of it? Because when even in Canada there are boos ringing out you know it's potentially a dire situation.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I touched upon that exact point on our radio show this week - GSP getting boo'd in Canada = bad times. </p><p> </p><p> I guess the answe is that it won't end as long as people are willing to pay for it. I do know that the UFC were slightly concerned about GSP as a PPV draw after the Penn and Alves fights, which is a big reason as to why we've seen Primetimes for the Hardy and Shields fights, and the TUF season for the Kos fight. All three would have done a great box office regardless (by virtue of where they were held) but it would be of great interest to me to see what PPV numbers those fights would have done without TUF/Primetime support. </p><p> </p><p> As for the 'Mental Midget' can of worms I appear to have opened, let me clarify. Firstly, it has nothing to do with him being scarred of getting hit/hurt. He's a professional cage fighter - I think it's a given that he doesn't mind getting punched in the face :-p </p><p> </p><p> Here's the thing though - There is more money tied up in the GSP franchise than with any other MMA fighter in the world right now. Brock may have been the biggest earner last year, but he's a reletive flash in the pan, and not exactly a sponsorship magnet/franchise material. </p><p> </p><p> GSP is, he's an agents dream. Legit one of the best in the sport, good looking, well spoken, polite, willing, role model, intellegent - he's an athlete and a sportsman, about as far away from the 'cage fighter' stereotype as can be. </p><p> </p><p> He's the UFC's box office meal ticket in Canada. His success is the reason the likes of Jackson, Danaher, Zahabi, Winklejon etc are making their fortunes. The UFC want him to be the face of their organisation. He has maybe four or five years of his physical peak left. All these factors put a huge amount of pressure on him. </p><p> </p><p> We know he doesn't deal with pressure well. He genuinely almost walked away from the sport after the Serra loss. His issues with sports psychologists have been well documented. Two sepparate people have told me that there is a belief amongst his inner circle that if he loses in a similar manner again, he will walk away from the sport as an active competitor. Interestingly, both of them went on to say that all the talk of "I'll have to re-evaluate my entire career" with regards to the Silva fight is because he thinks, or wants, it to be his last. Their view, I'm not sure that I agree. </p><p> </p><p> The GSP franchise relies on him being the UFC champion. He fired Shari Spencer, one of the best agents, in the sport over money (although to be fair, there was slightly more to it than that). And now more than ever the pressure is on from the UFC to win, but in a more exciting fashion...but not to take too many risks, or superfights with Anderson Silba and Nick Diaz will be off the table...</p><p> </p><p> When I say that he's terrified of losing personally, I don't mean that he is scarred of getting hurt. More that he is scarred of the effect a loss will have on his career/legacy in a sport where a couple of defeats make you overrated despite your previous accomplishments. And by financially, I'm not just talking about his own bank account, I'm talking about Jackson's, Tristar, Grudge, the GSP brand and his use to the UFC as a promotional juggernaught at the box office. </p><p> </p><p> He had to start again after the Serra loss; it's too late for him to start again now.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Daffanka" data-cite="Daffanka" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> </p><p> e: Also Vladdy getting his second first round finish in a row.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> If he makes it three then I'm taking it as a harbinger of the apocalypse!</p>

<p>Alright, here's some food for thought...</p><p> </p><p>

Someone who shall remain nameless said to me a while back that GSP didn't break Dan Hardy's arm because he didn't want to be 'that guy' all over youtube and ESPN in a gruesome limb-breaking video. That person also said that GSP's conserve style is due in part to his 'people' not wanting pictures/video of him covered in blood, standing over unconcious opponents etc for comercial reasons. </p><p> </p><p>

Now I don't believe that this is the sole reason for GSP's 'safe' style for a second, not least because the person who told me in notoriously full of you-know-what. But it's an interesting thought, considering he has the biggest 'blue-chip' non-MMA sponsors in North American MMA...</p><p> </p><p>

Couple of interesting facts about sponsors</p><p> </p><p>

- Most sponsors with multi-fight deals can drop you on a loss or a 'bad' performance. </p><p> </p><p>

- Wrestlers can make more money for a sponsorship slot on their butt on the theory that they will be on top or pressing their opponent into the cage more - hence the camera will have a 'back-view' of them for longer. I know for an absolute fact that certain UFC fighters have been told by their sponsors to stall against the cage or in top possition on Spike TV and PPV for this exact reason.</p>

Watched the show. Marked out for Steven Segal's front kick claiming another victim. Also dug the brutal spinning backfist KO. Favourite fights were that undercard fight that ended with the flying triangle (such a great big bully/plucky little guy dynamic) and Aldo/Hominick. That last round, with the swollen and bloody Hominick in the mount, beating the bejesus out of Aldo... awesome.

Found GSP/Sheilds kinda dull, but not surprised. I like my MMA fighters like I like my wrestling. Small and reckless.

<p>At the end of the month, get ready for MMA Overload:</p><p> </p><p>

May 28th - UFC 130 (Edgar vs. Maynard III)</p><p>

June 4th - TUF Finale (Guida vs. Petis)</p><p>

June 11th - UFC 131 (Lesnar vs. Dos Santos)</p><p>

June 18th - Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum (also Barnett vs. Rogers)</p><p>

June 26th - UFC on Versus (Marquardt vs. Johnson)</p><p>

July 2nd - UFC 132 (Faber vs. Cruz)</p>

Great analysis, Brashley. I pretty much agree. Its almost like GSP doesn't deal well with the pressure he feels (and is) under. There is a lot more on the line than just a win. Ironically, someone like Lesnar seems like they handle that degree of pressure pretty well, yet he isn't required to carry those issues.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Update: There might a real good reason why GSP couldn't see out his eye-<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEDAHzU5sr4" rel="external nofollow">Jake shields poke in him in the eye</a>. I have no idea whether it's intentional/purposeful or accidental, but this explains a lot.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I didn't notice that during the fight...but at 5am on a Sunday morning after a loooooong UFC party, who can blame me? :-p </p><p> </p><p> Looks like he was finding his range, he's not known for being dirty. It's a problem that is always going to be around with the MMA gloves used by most organisations today (and it isn't help when someone's striking is as amateur as Shields'). </p><p> </p><p> There are a couple of fingerless glove designs that help stop it, but they're huge and too bulky for grappling. Tough to describe, but they're essentially bottomless boxing gloves, if that helps...If anyone has seen the Rickson Gracie docu-movie 'Choke' (and if you haven't, it's on Google video so get off GDS and watch it!), they're very similar to the ones used for the Japan Vale Tudo.</p>