The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Watched Overeems interview on Inside MMA last night (f'n love that show) and he is saying the UFC never asked for any medical information. To me, that shows they never told the UFC he was too injured to compete. He said all along the date was too close as he was on vacation, then once he was cut "oh oh look! A broken rib and toe!" that interview did not help. However he says he still wants to go to the UFC, so I guess we will see as only he knows his personal desires.

I think part of the law suit is GG's way of getting money to help pay their fighters. They will never admit it but they have done a crappy job as of late. As BH mentioned many of their guys that fought in Japan did not get paid/paid in full (as with many others) now 4 of their biggest names (potentially five if Sergei won't sign exclusive) are out of work. Would you stay/sign with GG right now? "Hey come work for us, you won't get paid or fight for the biggest organization in the world!"

On Rashad, I think people hate him just cuz of his attitude and his ego that has grown exponentially in the past 2ish years. On the TUF, Rampage came off as the bigger ego/d*ck, Rashad talked trash but not the extent. Then Rashad won and BOOM! There went his ego. He also has been very blunt during interviews and makes no attempt to acknowledge fans positively. Watch the weigh ins from last night, when asked about being booed he said he knows if he went in the stands they would all want his autograph. Talked bad about Rampage (fan favorite), Dana talked bad about him (who the media/fans tend to follow), He bad talked Shogun (who fans like) for months, the whole Jones thing who's a fan favorite, and left Jackson's who is a fan favorite. On top of that he hasn't been active in the public eye which doesn't hurt, but doesn't help. I don't think he "deserves" the hate, but I think its more of a snow ball effect. He is kinda like the Jay Cutler of the UFC is the best person I can compare him to. Hasn't done anything majorly wrong but never does anything nice either.

The worst part of Rashad for me is he says ****y things, but his manner is humble. It's sort of a wird disconnect. You only talk like that if you are :A) trying to piss people off or b) really drink your own kool-aid. Does it make me hate him? No. But it doesi irrirate me that he talks like that.

Well I think Rashad wants to sell PPVs. It's no secret this card is less name-heavy than some int he past. UFC's been on a roll with good shows. Maybe he's just trying to get some buys.

That's a great answer... except I'm not just talking about this PPV. He's been talking like this for a while. Not when he first came in, but he has slowly become this person that says words humbly... except the words the words using aren't humble at all.

Rashad would gently smile at the camera, in a warm, friendly manner, and calmly states: "I'm the best in the world".

Nam Phan wasn't losing that match.

I had Mike Brown 10-9 or 10-8 first round.

I had Nam Phan 10-9 second round.

I had Nam Phan 10-9 third round.

29-28 Nam Phan or 28-28 Draw. I dont' think Brown won either the second or third round. All Brown did was press against the cage with unsuccessful TD's in the second and third. It's hard for me to see Brown winning the third round.

Edit: Nick Pace won the 1st round, I believe, and the third round, but the third round was fairly close.

Underwhelming doesn't even begin to describe the fights so far and would someone please finish their opponent.

Some of the fights were good and/or close despite the lack of finishing. I thought the Natal/Bradley fight was decent. It was showcase of Natal's skills. And Pierce and Hendrix were trying... it's just that, they were evenly matched. Mevinjvar/Pace wasn't that bad either. Phan/Brown was very underwhelming, though, and Mendes has a "hand" problem... he keeps breaking it. And just wrestlefunks people.

Edit: and Gustasson finishes Hamill. Honestly, I never thought Hamill was really that good in the first place. He's strong, but like Ryan Bader, he's too slow. His general MMA technique is also suspect. I want to see Ryan Bader vs. Matt Hamill next.

Because he's not that good AND fights stupid? I like the guy because's he exciting, but he's not that good and fights like a moron.

Agreed, They talk about how he is such a great Judo fighter but he seems to just want to stand with everyone, which was a big mistake to do against Vitort in my opinion anyway.

It amazes me how quick Vitor is. Maybe its just me but the guy just looks so dang fast everytime Ive watched him fight.

Agreed, They talk about how he is such a great Judo fighter but he seems to just want to stand with everyone, which was a big mistake to do against Vitort in my opinion anyway.

It amazes me how quick Vitor is. Maybe its just me but the guy just looks so dang fast everytime Ive watched him fight.

And this isn't even his peak anymore. I still recall his fight against Wanderlei, who tried to swarm him, but gets outswarmed by Vitor. Vitor is agile, explosive, mobile, and has some of the best hands in the business. His hands are exremely quick, has a lot of power, and he has great MMA boxing technique to back up his hands.

Why Akiyama thinks he can stand with Vitor, who knows? He has power, but no speed, and brawls and has no boxing technique. Akiyama chose brawling over his Judo.

I'm slightly angered about the fight because I was completely adamant Akiyama would win. But I guess that's the effect of being adamant someone's going to win.

But phenomenal knockout nonetheless. But screw that, 'cause the main event is here. Jon Jones says over Twitter that he has Rashad Evans winning by dry humping.

I'm slightly angered about the fight because I was completely adamant Akiyama would win. But I guess that's the effect of being adamant someone's going to win.

But phenomenal knockout nonetheless. But screw that, 'cause the main event is here. Jon Jones says over Twitter that he has Rashad Evans winning by dry humping.

What do you mean "adamant"? How do you think Akiyama was going to beat Vitor? Anyone that watches his UFC fights knew he fought like a man without a gameplan. That's not to say Akiyama couldn't have won... but only if he fought smart. And he didn't. And you probably knew there was good chance he wasn't. If that was the case, how was he supposed to win? If he wasn't going to take the fight to ground... it's not like his striking was going to be better than Vitor's.

What do you mean "adamant"? How do you think Akiyama was going to beat Vitor? Anyone that watches his UFC fights knew he fought like a man without a gameplan. That's not to say Akiyama couldn't have won... but only if he fought smart. And he didn't. And you probably knew there was good chance he wasn't. If that was the case, how was he supposed to win?

Hey, can't I actually pick someone without getting questioned? I figured that Akiyama would actually use some of his judo skills to get the fight to the ground, not stand with Vitor. I thought he would fight smart. And plus, I'm a fan of the guy.

Hey, can't I actually pick someone without getting questioned? I figured that Akiyama would actually use some of his judo skills to get the fight to the ground, not stand with Vitor. I thought he would fight smart. And plus, I'm a fan of the guy.

Well, yes, but, if you don't want to get questioned, don't post it in a public message board. :p And being a fan is not an excuse: I am a fan of his also. You can be a fan of someone and know that he would lose a fight, and pick to lose fights. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to pick them to win a fight, or believe they will. :)

Well, yes, but, if you don't want to get questioned, don't post it in a public message board. :p And being a fan is not an excuse: I am a fan of his also. You can be a fan of someone and know that he would lose a fight, and pick to lose fights. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to pick them to win a fight, or believe they will. :)

I know that, but it's MY pick. So what if I decide that I want one of my favourite fighters to win? So what if I decide to express my unhappiness at him losing?

I know that, but it's MY pick. So what if I decide that I want one of my favourite fighters to win? So what if I decide to express my unhappiness at him losing?

So what? It means you can be questioned, that's what. :) If I don't want someone to question me, I say nothing. And If I say something, I know full well I'm opening myself up to criticism. :) Don't want to be criticized? Simple. Say Nothing. But if you want to say something. Expect to be criticized. It's that simple. :)

So what? It means you can be questioned, that's what. :) If I don't want someone to question me, I say nothing. And If I say something, I know full well I'm opening myself up to criticism. :) Don't want to be criticized? Simple. Say Nothing. But if you want to say something. Expect to be criticized. It's that simple. :)

Why are you trying to reply to me as if I was a child? Reading what you have written, it makes it seem like you think I'm stupid.

Quite frankly, I'll say what I want to. It's stupid of me not to think of the consequences of getting questioned.

Why are you trying to reply to me as if I was a child? Reading what you have written, it makes it seem like you think I'm stupid.

Quite frankly, I'll say what I want to. It's stupid of me not to think of the consequences of getting questioned.

It's not that I'm talking to you as if you are child or that you are stupid. Rather, if you are conceding (and I'm assuming you are) that you know you are opening yourself to criticism anytime state something openly, then when I'm criticizing your pick is fair game, and that you while you don't have to accept my anyone's judgment of your pick, you shouldn't be defensive about it. Or rather you, you don't have to be defensive about it. If it can happen and does happen, and if it doesn't surprise you it does happen, there's nothing to be defensive about, is there? :)

Your respons should have been: "I have the choice to may be wrong and make decisions that may not based on good reason. Ultimately my freedom to choose alternatives, even poor ones, overrides anything reason, society, or people can compel me to do", rather than "Why you question me? Yes I know I'm opening myself to criticism. But why are questioning me still?" ;)