The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="brashleyholland" data-cite="brashleyholland" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Jones, Kos, Rothwell, Diaz, Browne, Ferguson, Botesch, Assuncao, Mizugaki, Romero. <p> </p><p> What say you all?</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Agree except Jones and Boetsch</p>

<p>This is kinda sad, but I will be glad once 135 is over. I am just so sick of reading/seeing the spying stuff and Jackson feeling disrespected. I took it all in at first but it just keeps coming, and coming...and coming. So for someone that checks numerous MMA news sites multiple times a day and watches all the countdown type shows, it gets old.</p><p> </p><p>

MMA Fighting brought up a good point in their preview, when did respect become important to Rampage? After his bullying on TUF, his disrespect of Rashad, motorboating the reporter, making more sexual comments in the Ariel interview, like seriously could you be more hypocritical? And why, because your opponent is just as ****y/confident as you? Come on. Instead of Rampage being entertaining I just found him annoying. He def. looks like he trained hard and the MP gym is sweet.</p><p> </p><p>

Picks seem like alot of "easy"/well favored fights but of course thats why they fight!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ampulator" data-cite="ampulator" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Explanation: Rampage is a moody guy. I think that's pretty obvious over the years. Not I'm passying judgment on him. It's just the way he is. Doesn't mean he's not a nice guy, you just got to approach him the right way.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Based on everything I've read/heard about him this is not terribly inaccurate :-)</p><p> </p><p> He's an offbeat dude. That's probably why he's so popular.</p>

<p>Three random notes I noticed during weigh ins</p><p> </p><p>

1) Are Tiki and Arianny no longer together? They didn't acknowledge each other at all, this can be chalked up to professionalism (as I'm sure UFC doesn't want their most popular girl making out with her boyfriend at their press event) but they didn't even glance at each other.</p><p> </p><p>

2) Didn't look like Rogan likes Jones. Rogan was pretty cool with most of the guys then him and Jones ignored each other until the force interview. Once again could be nothing, but when he shakes hands/chats with at least half the guys, can't help but wonder if they don't get along.</p><p> </p><p>

3) REALLY surprised at the amount of booing for Jones considering he hasn't done anything openly wrong. I agree he comes off a little fake but to get outright booed over rumors? Kinda crazy.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="jesterx7769" data-cite="jesterx7769" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26660" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Three random notes I noticed during weigh ins<p> </p><p> 1) Are Tiki and Arianny no longer together? They didn't acknowledge each other at all, this can be chalked up to professionalism (as I'm sure UFC doesn't want their most popular girl making out with her boyfriend at their press event) but they didn't even glance at each other.</p><p> </p><p> 2) Didn't look like Rogan likes Jones. Rogan was pretty cool with most of the guys then him and Jones ignored each other until the force interview. Once again could be nothing, but when he shakes hands/chats with at least half the guys, can't help but wonder if they don't get along.</p><p> </p><p> 3) REALLY surprised at the amount of booing for Jones considering he hasn't done anything openly wrong. I agree he comes off a little fake but to get outright booed over rumors? Kinda crazy.</p></div></blockquote><p> The problem is, I know if Jon Jones hears this, he's going to be freaking ticked off, but he comes off like Rashad Evans sometimes-talks in humble manner. but the content of his words are anything but humble. This is example-he smiles warmly at the camera, speaking softly and gently... "I'm going to beat the tar out of him", and then proceeds to keep smiling gently and softly. </p><p> </p><p> It's the sort of thing that Evans does all the time. And it's quite annoying. And it's a habit that Jones seems to have picked up. Evans is doing it intentionally on-camera...he's implied this during post-fight interviews. Not so sure about Jon Jones, though. It's not to say I dislike the guy... but, it's sort of getting to him, I can see that.</p><p> </p><p> As for Rogan and Jones... I think both they were hyped up, that's all. It's not that hard to hype up Rogan. *laughs* He once put someone in the Thai Clinch on the Fear Factor for getting his face. He didn't do anything else, but Rogan, as he admits, can become aggressive, when pushed.</p>

Did anyone see the Bret Rogers / Eddie Sanchez fight? omg did Bret fall hard lol.

Was he the product of Strikeforce hype machien or was he legitimately talented at one point but ultimately predictable beatable at the highest levels of the game, like so many fighters out there?

I watched Titan last night (yes my Friday's are that lame :p ) I think Rogers is really just the definition of a one trick pony, hands down. His KO of Arlovski is what he is living off and he has probably fallen physically, mentally, and financially. Remember he was still working at Wal-Mart when he started with Elite XC and a quick glance at his record shows he was all hype. He was competitive in the Fedor fight but I attribute that to his huge size advantage (and still got wicked KO'd)

My gawd DREAM 17 was awesome! I'll wait to comment on any results as most probably won't watch it until tonight, but man you just can't beat Japanese production values and the Bantam tourney has some great guys, not to mention the rest of the stacked card. Felt bad for Voice and Frank as I'm sure they'd rather be in Japan than at Titan.

It's a tough one to be honest. But I believe if Broughton gets it to the ground, a submission could take it. But I don't know if Browne has good submission defence though.

Te Huna was a smart pick. The guy has some serious power in his hands. Romero was extremely sloppy during the fight though. Those takedowns, you could tell they weren't gonna land.

Woo go Nate! When he's aggressive he fights so much better. Great combinations followed up by his good ground game, thought he was gonna RNC Gomi first time they were down.

I hate to say this, but Gomi is clearly too small for 155, AND his ground game is lacking. He's in his mid-thirties, though, and 145 is not going to be an easier division.

Edit: That fight between Browne and Broughton sucked. Then again, I didn't expect much in the first place.

After two sloppy HW fights you can't help but question the UFC booking two main card fights between large fatty HW's (except Browne, but the 3 other def.) in Denver with the altitude. The politically correct answer is you don't think about those things when booking fights but this is a global entertainment platform, not booking the best fights possible in your neighborhood. Instead of highlighting the lighter weightclasses, we got two dull, non-crowd pleasing matches of Joe Rogan commenting about altitude.

and yes, Gomi is old and small, but let me enjoy my Diaz nuthugging for a night :D

edit: Also agree with Rogan that standing Hunt up at the end their was total bull. First he was active, and second its two large men that are tired, what do you think is going to happen when you stand them up? Fireworks? Come on. Should have just left them for the last minute and maybe Hunt ends it with hammer fists.